Getting out of the house?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 01-22-2009, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How long is everyone planning on waiting before taking the baby out? I'm already getting a little antsy and it hasn't even been a week. With my dd it was summer and I didn't even think twice about going out right away. I'm not really a germaphobe or anything, but everyone has me so worried. We have a toddler anyway, so it's not like we can avoid germs (and we've had lots of visitors over the house as well.. kids included).

homeschooling mama to ella (9) and maya (5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 01-22-2009, 01:44 PM

my doula seriously recommended keeping harper in for six weeks just because a fever over 100 lands a baby that young in the hospital and EVERYONE is sick in western NY at this time of year. i'm crawling the walls, though.
#3 of 20 Old 01-22-2009, 02:19 PM

We went out when dd was one week old. I'm in Texas, though, so it isn't cold here. I kept her in the sling the whole time, too, so no germy touchies. We went to older dd's ballet class, to Payless for ballet shoes, and to the mall for Gymbucks. I was exhausted when we got home, but it was nice to get out. Since then (this week as she's two weeks old today), we've gone to the library, Target, and church.

Amanda, momma to Caroline (5/31/05) and Mary Elizabeth (1/8/09)
#4 of 20 Old 01-22-2009, 02:38 PM

I live outside of Seattle and I started taking DS out after about 6 days. I have to drop off and pick up DD from preschool and I stopped by work to show DS off. I've also had to do a little household shopping too. I just keep a little container of hand sanitizer attached to his carseat and make everyone use it. If someone is sick, they don't get to hold the baby. I'm sure he's getting exposed to all sorts of germs that DD brings home from school. It's an uphill battle; I'm sure he'll end up sick eventually!
#5 of 20 Old 01-22-2009, 03:02 PM

I went out during the first week with DD, I just wore her to reduced tempting hands from touching her. however, I'm a little intimidated by the idea of going out with a newborn and a toddler. But this Monday, I have a ped appt for the baby and my DDs 2 yr appt, so we'll be heading out together. I was thinking of going to the mall,letting DD play for while since were out. Ahhh Maybe I'm nuts, but I gotta get this double child thing down eventually, gotta start somewhere.

mom to Reaghan born underwater into midwife's hands 1/17/07 & Myra born surrounded by doulas and midwife at home 1/12/09. Birth Educator, and Photographer, Baby #3 Coming May 2013!

#6 of 20 Old 01-22-2009, 03:37 PM

I was so nervous about going out with two kiddos by myself too but so far it has been OK. I even went to the mall to let DD play on the indoor play structure. I just wore DS and he slept the entire time! It was really good for DD to burn off some energy.
#7 of 20 Old 01-22-2009, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.. these posts make me feel better.. there is no way I can stay in for more than 2 more days let alone weeks! I guess if I just have to have her on me so no one can touch her, we'll be good. I haven't even thought of the toddler and baby scenario, I'm sure thats gonna be a lot of fun.

#8 of 20 Old 01-22-2009, 04:09 PM

We went "out" when she was less than 48 hours old. Had to drop by my parent's house on the way home from the hospital to drop off the blanket for the dogs, and stopped by my mom's work (Elementary School) to surprise her. Then yesterday we went over to my parent's house for dinner and to let the dogs meet her. Today we have a ped appointment, showing her to my grandma and going grocery shopping.

I would go crazy feeling like I have to stay put in the house....

Kathy Soup
Loving wife to an amazing SAHD : Mommy to Aviendha 01/19/09
#9 of 20 Old 01-22-2009, 04:28 PM

argh. i want to go out! (whining)
didn't anyone else's m/w (or OB) say no driving for two weeks? am i the only nerd who takes them seriously?? if so, i'm outta here this afternoon! like PP said, gotta learn how to handle both kids at once sooner or later.
#10 of 20 Old 01-22-2009, 04:36 PM

For those going out with two kids (toddler and newborn), does a tandem stroller help or do you manage without one? Any tips that make things easier for you guys?
#11 of 20 Old 01-22-2009, 04:49 PM

We went out (reluctantly) at 6d for a ped appointment, and then at 1w2d for a very quick little shopping trip/visit to the bagel shop. And, I'm probably going to take her on a little trip tomorrow (1w6d) to visit her aunt and a friend at work.

I was really paranoid about germs at the ped - I wore her in my Hotsling, didn't touch ANYTHING I didn't have to, and washed/sanitized my hands a bunch. When we went shopping, I wore her in my Moby, so she wasn't really exposed to anybody anyway. Tomorrow I'll probably do the Moby thing again, though assuming everybody is healthy (which is the only way we'll go visit) she'll get to come out for a little showing off.

There is absolutely NO. WAY. I'd take her anywhere I had to carry her in a carseat bucket or stroller right now - call me paranoid, but it is cold and flu season here big time, and I am not about to leave her exposed for strangers to poke at.
#12 of 20 Old 01-22-2009, 06:12 PM

i try to get out at least 1x/day even if just for a walk around the 'hood b/c i am NO good @ staying home solo w/baby all day. makes me crazy and depressed.

DD 12/08
#13 of 20 Old 01-22-2009, 09:23 PM

It is below 30 degrees again today. Tomorrow is supposed to be 40, so we may all go out for a walk.

I am not supposed to drive for 2 weeks either Raci, and yes I am taking it seriously this time. I have stitches, and jamming on the break pedal could tear them. If I can't sit comfortably on my own sofa, there is NO WAY I am packing my 4 kids into the van and driving somewhere.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#14 of 20 Old 01-22-2009, 09:55 PM

Today we had to take DD to the ped for a check up (had GBS) so I guess that's our official "first outing".

The MW said no driving for 2 weeks too and I'm going to listen to her. I also have a couple stitches and would like for them to stay in as long as they need to.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#15 of 20 Old 01-22-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajody View Post
I have stitches, and jamming on the break pedal could tear them.

ahhh. i didn't realize it was about the stitches. i certainly have my fair share, so i guess i'll wait it out. only three more days...
#16 of 20 Old 01-22-2009, 10:51 PM

I never stayed at home with either for any pre-determined period of time. I can't drive (eye condition), so despite stitches, there are no restrictions on me. So we go out as much as I can get DH to take us out. Lilly never caught anything (she was born in October, though) and like someone said--with a toddler, germs are abundant, lol. In fact, both times on the way home from the hospital, we've stopped at the grocery store. With Lilly, it was for my pain meds; with Naomi, it was for food.

Now I want out of the house *sigh* and I typically have to wait until the weekend...

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#17 of 20 Old 01-23-2009, 05:05 PM

I took DD out at 6 days for a ped appointment. She did ok. I hated having to take her into the dirty cold city but I carried her close. She was ok.

I also HAD to go food shopping. I had no choice and no way around it so I put her in the Moby. She did great. She slept the whole time, no touching. I also went later in the evening when the store was mostly empty. It was cold outside but I made sure she was propery bundled.

My MW said because she was close to me she would have minimal contact with germs. Plus the fact that she is breast fed and has all of my antibodies at the moment also will protect her.

Driving, however, was scary as hell. I called DH while on my way to the store and asked him if it was just paranoia or if people were driving like morons lately. He said its paranoia... people have always driven like morons. It occurred to me that I have never driven my car with a baby younger than 3 months. (Out of fear of wrecking, I watied to get my DL until my DS was 3 months old... I was 20) It freakd me out to have my LO in the back seat while people in SUVs that could crush my little Jetta were swerving in traffic, pulling right out in front of me, running lights, riding my bumper. I was horrifying.
#18 of 20 Old 01-23-2009, 06:55 PM

Day 5 we had out first pedtrician appointment. Day 6 we went grocery shopping. She stayed in her little car seat so we figured it'd be okay... as for protecting against the cold, we had blankies over her. She seemed fine.

The harder part was when DSD came for the weekend with a nasty cold and we had to keep an eye on her to make sure she wasn't breathing too much on the baby and was washing her hands and/or using the hand sanitizer before touching her.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#19 of 20 Old 01-23-2009, 09:42 PM

It's frigid here in the NYC suburbs. Snow, bitter cold, the works. Worse than usual.

We went to the ped at 3 days and again at 10 days. We went out to lunch at Panera's and ran errands at Golfsmith and buy Buy Baby at 6 days old. I was climbing the walls. We went to the library last week. We have a toddler, and she HATES sitting inside all day.

We hit Costco yesterday, at 20 days PP. DD2 sleeps through everything!

I have yet to attempt leaving the house with both my 28 mo and the newborn alone, though.
#20 of 20 Old 01-23-2009, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

We got out to the mall today... had to do something. Baby wasn't phased a bit - she slept the entire time in the sling. Me, on the other hand, had to sit and rest a few times. It was so nice to get out though. Can't wait to be back to "normal".

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page