BF'ing question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-23-2009, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lincoln is 2 weeks old tomorrow, and I LOVE breastfeeding him, but I have a problem/question for more experienced mama's!! I already posted this in the Breastfeeding forum, but I thought I would post here to see if you ladies have any advice!

My problem I guess is that b/c I tore so badly when he was born I've been mostly feeding him in the sidelying position b/c I couldn't sit up. Now, I'm able to sit up and don't always want to retreat to the bedroom to feed him. He seems to have trouble though when I try to feed him sitting up, like he seems to inhale a little, and then he has to stop and get burped a little before we can continue. I've tried the cradle hold and the crossover hold (I think those are the right names) but he always seems to start coughing every few minutes. I really need to be able to feed him in another position so that I'm not always stuck at home!!

Thanks in advance!
#2 of 6 Old 01-23-2009, 10:31 PM

I know this is going to sound like a dumb question but its not an uncommon oversight... when you feed sitting up, are you belly to belly? Its hard to turn your head and swallow. My LO had the same problem. My MW brougt that tiny detail to my attention, made all the difference in the world. Also make sure your LO's lips are flared out all the way around and that there is enough of the nipple in her mouth.

Good luck! I know how frustrating this can be.
#3 of 6 Old 01-23-2009, 11:37 PM

It sounds like you may have a really strong let-down. If you've fed him laying down until now, it may not have been noticeable. Now that you are able to sit up, try leaning back when he first latches on and lean back for the first few minutes while the let-down is taking place. Then gravity isn't adding so much to the forceful let-down. It sounds like he may just be getting overwhelmed by the amount of milk at first and is having trouble swallowing it fast enough if he is coughing and burping a lot. Good luck, and I hope that helps a little!

Sarah , wife to Tyson :, SAHM to Landon (5), Coleson (3), and new baby boy due any day!

#4 of 6 Old 01-24-2009, 12:20 AM

Have you tried a nipple shield? It will help with a strong let-down and other latch problems. It's well worth the $6

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#5 of 6 Old 01-24-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo F. View Post
Have you tried a nipple shield? It will help with a strong let-down and other latch problems. It's well worth the $6
Nipple shields can be a great tool for many moms, but some mamas and babies have a very hard time weaning off them when they don't need them anymore. I would caution you against using one until you have tried some other options to correct what is going on.

Sarah , wife to Tyson :, SAHM to Landon (5), Coleson (3), and new baby boy due any day!

#6 of 6 Old 01-24-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_baby_love View Post
Nipple shields can be a great tool for many moms, but some mamas and babies have a very hard time weaning off them when they don't need them anymore. I would caution you against using one until you have tried some other options to correct what is going on.
They do tell you to use one with the help of a lactaion consultant and to not use it every time you nurse. Latch on with it, let babe nurse for a bit, release latch then re-latch without the shield.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page