Pitocin-dependency? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 01-29-2009, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've heard that if you've never gone into natural labor and were induced with pitocin, then your body can become pitocin-dependent and not know how to go into labor naturally? With both my previous pregnancies, I was induced.
Anybody have any experiences they can share with me?
#2 of 21 Old 01-29-2009, 07:58 PM

Hm. I've never heard that.

Some women just naturally have longer gestations. (I am apparently one of them.) I can see how that would look like "never going into labor" if you were in a practice where you were induced for dates.
#3 of 21 Old 01-29-2009, 08:30 PM

I'm thinking this might be my problem as well. I've been induced 4 times and this time I'm trying to go on my own. My midwife came today and said she thinks I have at least another week left. I want to cry. My pants don't fit anymore and I'm so irritable and ready!!!

But I am curious about this as well since I've never gone into labor on my own. I should add that I was induced the first time for IUGR, then the next 3 times it was purely because I didn't know any better and the OB's always offered it to me. The longest I went before being induced was 41 weeks. So maybe I would go all the way to 42 if I never induced...but I am so hoping I won't go that long. *sigh*

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#4 of 21 Old 01-29-2009, 08:54 PM

I have had pit. with my three previous pregnancies. I felt like I was never going to go into labor this time.

Well here I am almost 18 hours later and still in labor. This labor has been longer than even my first labor. I feel like she is never going to come out.
#5 of 21 Old 01-29-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamamamaof3 View Post
I have had pit. with my three previous pregnancies. I felt like I was never going to go into labor this time.

Well here I am almost 18 hours later and still in labor. This labor has been longer than even my first labor. I feel like she is never going to come out.
Oh dear, that is what scares me. Really late and when I finally go into labor it will take forever (my first one with pit was 24 hours!).

mama

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#6 of 21 Old 01-29-2009, 11:11 PM

My labor with this one was about as long as with my first DD. However, I also had some IV medication with #1 to get me through transition + back labor, and I didn't take anything in that situation this time. I didn't find the pit contractions to be worse than my natural ones either. Pushing with #1 was 3 1/2 hours. With this one, less than 10 minutes. It isn't all bad.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#7 of 21 Old 01-29-2009, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so scared that I won't go into labor. Then, when I'm 42 weeks, the ob might feel induction or c/s is necessary (god forbid).
Bamamamaof3, I pray you have your baby soon. (you're a strong woman for being able to type while in labor.) I wish all of us quick and easy labors!!!
#8 of 21 Old 01-30-2009, 02:44 PM

I had unmedicated pitocin induced labors my first two times. The first was 28 hours long and the second was 4.

I just had my third baby at home, completely natural. I did go into labor on my own! My labor was about 13 hours and I was about 10 days past my edd.

I was also worried that my body didn't kow how to do it on it's own, but this last birth affirmed for me that in spite of my past experiences, my body can be trusted!

I wish all of you great luck and smooth births.

Molly, mama to my 3 sweet boys.
: : hale:
#9 of 21 Old 01-30-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_rain View Post
I had unmedicated pitocin induced labors my first two times. The first was 28 hours long and the second was 4.

I just had my third baby at home, completely natural. I did go into labor on my own! My labor was about 13 hours and I was about 10 days past my edd.

I was also worried that my body didn't kow how to do it on it's own, but this last birth affirmed for me that in spite of my past experiences, my body can be trusted!

I wish all of you great luck and smooth births.
That is very reassuring. Thanks!

#10 of 21 Old 01-30-2009, 03:30 PM

I was induced with pit with my first, have had two successful UCs since then (3 hour and 4 hour labors respectively), and I'm currently waiting on my third UC, due any day (minute?) now. Hang in there, ladies!
#11 of 21 Old 01-30-2009, 03:36 PM

I was Pit induced with my first.

Trust me, my body knew how to go into labor on it's own when it was ready!
#12 of 21 Old 01-30-2009, 03:46 PM

I guess I just worry that 4 pit births would make ones body more dependent than say one or two. kwim?

For those of you that had regular births after your pit births...was it much different? I have heard that pit births are much more painful than normal births. Also, was your normal birth longer or shorter than your pit birth?

#13 of 21 Old 01-30-2009, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Good to know natural is possible after Pit-induced births!!!
Kimmiepie, I'm kind of in a similar situation as you. I'm already 3 days past my due date now. Had my membranes stripped on my due date. Nothing happened or is happening. I am also wondering what my body plans to do and how & when it will do it! I just want a vaginal birth and a healthy baby!
#14 of 21 Old 01-30-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmama View Post
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Good to know natural is possible after Pit-induced births!!!
Kimmiepie, I'm kind of in a similar situation as you. I'm already 3 days past my due date now. Had my membranes stripped on my due date. Nothing happened or is happening. I am also wondering what my body plans to do and how & when it will do it! I just want a vaginal birth and a healthy baby!
Looks like we need to be rooting for each other. I'm 2 days past my due date, and my midwife "messed with" my cervix yesterday to try to get things going. I'm still here.

#15 of 21 Old 01-30-2009, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

I hope we go into labor right now
I've heard sometimes membranes need to be stripped 2-3 times.
#16 of 21 Old 01-30-2009, 07:15 PM

Not in your DDC, but Your body will go into labor when you and the baby are ready. Even after having pit four times, your body will do what it's meant to do. It was just never given a chance before.

If I were you I wouldn't do any more "natural" induction techniques unless you're after 43 weeks. Even then, I personally wouldn't, but I know some people's comfort level is less than mine. The reason I say don't do anymore is I think that "natural" induction as well as non-natural - like pit, etc. techniques can possibly start a start and stop labor or begin a long labor when your body or baby isn't ready.

Maybe you had a 24 hr labor with pitocin because your body or baby wasn't ready yet? If doctors and you let your body and baby work on its own, then you may end up having a short labor. I have heard several ladies who said that they had their shortest labors - with the baby that had stayed in the longest. I think this is because it gives your body and baby more time to get in the right position, efface, etc.

Good luck!
#17 of 21 Old 01-30-2009, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

I just like the feeling that I'm doing something to nudge things along.... I don't think anything will work unless my body is ready anyways...
Thanks for your response, Degas.
#18 of 21 Old 01-30-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degas View Post
Not in your DDC, but Your body will go into labor when you and the baby are ready. Even after having pit four times, your body will do what it's meant to do. It was just never given a chance before.

If I were you I wouldn't do any more "natural" induction techniques unless you're after 43 weeks. Even then, I personally wouldn't, but I know some people's comfort level is less than mine. The reason I say don't do anymore is I think that "natural" induction as well as non-natural - like pit, etc. techniques can possibly start a start and stop labor or begin a long labor when your body or baby isn't ready.

Maybe you had a 24 hr labor with pitocin because your body or baby wasn't ready yet? If doctors and you let your body and baby work on its own, then you may end up having a short labor. I have heard several ladies who said that they had their shortest labors - with the baby that had stayed in the longest. I think this is because it gives your body and baby more time to get in the right position, efface, etc.

Good luck!
Thanks for this! In my heart I know this is true. I keep getting this feeling when I pray about it, that I am supposed to wait, to be patient. That is what I am trying to do now. I am just expecting him to be born in another 2 weeks and if he so happens to arrive early I will be delighted! I want to feel what it's like to go naturally. I also thought about the fact that my labor could be much longer if I started it before it was ready. Thank you for bringing it home. I am going to do my best to be patient (no matter how uncomfortable I am) and maybe ignoring it will help to move things along more anyway.

#19 of 21 Old 02-01-2009, 11:10 PM

I was induced with #1 (pre-e) and #2 (pih) and just had baby #3 naturally! I had my membranes stripped, and nothing happened for a few days. Then I had increasing contractions for a few days before labor really started, with a few times of them getting regular but still feeling bh like. It was a slightly longer labor at 3hrs 15min from the time I figured out it was the real thing, but the pushing was even shorter than the first 2! My first labor was 2.5hrs, with 20min of pushing. My second was 1.5 with 5 pushes. This one was about 4 involuntary pushes from what I heard, it definitely wasn't 4 contractions long though - frankly it was so fast it is kind of a blur!

Hope things get moving for you soon!
#20 of 21 Old 02-02-2009, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

I hope I go into labor naturally. Your posts have given me hope that it's possible....
#21 of 21 Old 02-02-2009, 06:58 PM

Not in your ddc but I have a friend who just had her 3rd baby and was induced with pit for both previous labors due to pre e and something else. She labored naturally with pit. I can't remember how long her labors were, around 10/12 hours I think?

With this baby that she just had , she went into labor the day after her due date and active labor was only about 6 hours. She did it naturally at home and she kept saying how she was waiting for the pain to get worse but it never did. She didn't even believe she was in labor because she didn't feel like the contractions hurt enough!

So that was her experience. I hope it helped a bit.

Shelley, married to my wonderful DH and mama to DD (11) DD (5) and  DD (2)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page