We survived! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-04-2009, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is really a happy story, but it starts out pretty icky.

I thought I might be getting a UTI Saturday night. I spent all day Sunday taking cranberry capsules, vitamin C, and drinking tons of water, but nothing helped. By Monday night I was in really intense pain, not just when I peed, but radiating to my back. I was also worried about appendicitis, and knew I had to call the doctor. Since we have a 3 wk old, we really wanted to avoid the ER.

Tuesday morning I called my GP and she could only get me in to do a urine sample, but not see me herself. My midwife thought I should try to rule out a uterine infection as well. I agreed to the urine sample, but I had to wait until 1:30, and by 11 am I was in so much pain I told DH we had to go to the ER. But what were we going to do with the baby? We really wanted to keep him out of the hospital (he was born at home and has had fairly limited exposure to the outside world).

I pumped as much as I could, about 4 ounces, which I figured would last for about two feedings. But I figured I could be there for several hours, or possibly overnight if it was more serious than I thought. So DH drove me to the store, where I bought formula (ICK) and then to the ER and dropped me off. We figured formula was safer for him than taking him to the ER.

Four hours later, after dodging a catheter but suffering through a very painful and insensitively conducted pelvic exam, I was diagnosed with a UTI and given an Rx for abx (now I have to worry about thrush).

But how did DH do with the little man? Perfect! He never had to use the formula, and he only fed him a bottle once, which he took easily. I had wanted to wait to introduce a bottle, but it totally did not interfere with his nursing. When I finally got home, I nursed him for probably a half hour or so and we both fell asleep together and it was so nice. I was so upset earlier in the day, not just because of the pain, but having to leave ds for so long was really hard.

So our first crisis as parents went as smoothly as it could go. Whew!

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#2 of 3 Old 02-04-2009, 04:27 PM

right on! :::

ETA: about the lilman doing well, not your pain. pain sucks.
#3 of 3 Old 02-06-2009, 11:11 AM

"So our first crisis as parents went as smoothly as it could go" :::

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page