Anemia? Iron Supplements? Suggestions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-05-2009, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I may be anemic. DD is only 11days old, but I am feeling more weak and exhausted if anything, not getting my energy back at all. And she is even letting me sleep quite a bit - average is 3hr blocks of time, for 8+ hours if my older kids cooperate that long! Still bleeding bright red, pretty consistent with what it has been since the day after her birth. I am FREEZING cold all the time too, and this seems to be getting worse and worse. My teeth were chattering last night, I was in long pants/shirt/socks and our thermostat is set at 69 degrees. And I am still taking it really easy, I have cooked for us a few times, but haven't done any house cleaning or errands or anything.

I am still taking Rainbow Light Whole Foods Prenatals, which have 30mg iron. I have kept up with my 2 eggs for breakfast, paired with a vitamin c. I eat meat, and green veggies.

I saw on a previous post that several of you are/were taking Floradix. Is this a better quality iron than typical supplements? Can you find it at regular pharmacies, or would I need to check a health food store?

Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Christy
#2 of 9 Old 02-05-2009, 12:51 PM

I suggest Floridex, its great!

I would only start w a half dose and if needed work up to a double dose.

It may cause constpation, so drink lots of water...and no milk while you take the suppliment(calcium inhibits iron absorbtion)

I have to get mine at a health store.

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#3 of 9 Old 02-05-2009, 01:36 PM

Since you do eat meat, I'd recommend eating liver. A nice liver pate perhaps?

That way you get the iron, but also the Bs and fat and a bunch of other stuff.
#4 of 9 Old 02-06-2009, 01:21 PM

Definately a good suggestion to eat food with iron, but for me nothing has kept me above anemic levels except Floradix.

I hate taking the stuff honestly (it tastes terrible) but it is amazing. It works fast. And it has B vitamins too.

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#5 of 9 Old 02-06-2009, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses! I finally got some Floradix today. I hope it helps!

Unfortunately I think it is something else, or something more than just iron.

I feel like I have a yeast infection, but when I put a topical cream on it didn't get better, it got worse! Thankfully it isn't here all the time, it seems to come and go. My face has developed this crazy rash a few times, thankfully only lasting a few minutes at a time, but I end up a giant, red raised welt from my forehead to my chin and out to my hairline - sometimes it is hot, sometimes it feels normal. In between my cheeks seem to flare up bright red periodically, but it feels normal so I don't notice unless I am looking in the mirror or someone else notices. The cold spells come and go too still. And my temperature is all over, as low as 96.8 then up to 98.7 in an hour sometimes, but 97.6 is my normal not pregnant temp. The heavy fatigue and weakness seem to come and go too, and a mild headache.

So....hormones maybe? The nurse at my OB's office couldn't come up with anything else, except to watch closely for a fever and call right away. She said the estrogen changes can make you itchy like a yeast infection. I have a mild history of autoimmune issues, so I am not sure if that is it.

Anyone else have stuff like this going on? Any ideas? Any ideas on getting relief from the itching if it is estrogen?

Thanks!

Christy
#6 of 9 Old 02-06-2009, 10:41 PM

Not in your DDC but I couldn't not comment after your last post...ask your provider to check your thyroid levels! Postpartum is a notorious time for the thyroid to do wacky things, and our thyroid hormones regulate things from head to toe. Your symptoms definitely sound like levels of some sort of hormone are fluctuating pretty wildly.

Jessica, CNM placenta.gif+ DH geek.gif + sweet boy (4/06) jog.gif
#7 of 9 Old 02-07-2009, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Wittyone! Now that you mention it, when I thought my iron was low after DD, they checked my thyroid, and I didn't have any symptoms then except extended bleeding and feeling really weak. The nurse never mentioned it Friday though, even when I asked about checking labs for iron or an infection. As of now, I am still itchy : so I will be going in Monday morning to see someone.

The Floradix rocks though! At least I don't feel as weak and cold today!

Thanks!
#8 of 9 Old 02-10-2009, 10:06 PM

glad you are feeling a bit better with the floradix. I passed out for a second a little whie after I gave birth and the first thing they did when I came to was make me drink floradix. hope the other tests help.

Bloomingstar Mommy to DS born 1.16.09 :
#9 of 9 Old 02-13-2009, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Bloomingstar! I think the Floradix did help a lot, rarely any cold spells, and I haven't had that really weak feeling all week. Glad it helped you too! It seemed to pick me up every day for almost a week, then I felt worse after taking it one day so I quit and still feel fine.

Still don't know what is up with the itching and face rashes, assuming it is autoimmune though, as Benedryl cream is my only relief! They both seem to be gradually getting better as of yesterday, so hopefully it continues! I even had an exam and had them culture it, and there was nothing. After 4 days of itching the OB thought he saw a little yeast under the microscope, so I finally took the Diflucan. It did nothing except make my little one miserable! My easy going little baby was inconsolable and spitting up constantly! So in case anyone else runs into this one, it takes about 30hrs for the single dose to clear your system! Thankfully I had enough milk pumped that we could do bottles during that time, which immediately returned her to normal but WOW are they inconvenient! I have a whole new appreciation for nursing now!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page