Ppd? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-05-2009, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know what it is but today I can't stop crying.

Anyone ever deal with this? Ideas for combatting it?

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#2 of 12 Old 02-05-2009, 05:06 PM

I haven't dealt with full on ppd, but I have had days after each of the kids, especially in the first week or two, where I was really emotional and cried super easily! So far this time I have cried when I couldn't get tickets to a concert online, cried when I found out some friends of ours tried to get them for us too, cried when Franklin the turtle's friends were nice to him (this is a kids cartoon!), cried when my hubby realized I was tired and offered to finish up dinner with the kids so I could go lay down, cried over stories people have told me, and laughed until I cried - then I couldn't stop crying for a few minutes, even though it was still funny to me! I think getting emotional or crying easily is pretty normal. Once I start crying, I cry really easily for a little while too!

If you can't stop crying still, can you get someone there for some support? A hot shower, a nap, or a meal with fresh fruits, veggies and a good source of iron might help a lot. Prenatal Vitamins and Omega 3's can also help pick you back up a bit.

If it keeps up, gets worse, if you are really upset or really sad, or having thoughts about harming yourself or little one make sure you call someone right away! Even your midwife, OB, nurse, etc. can be a good person to help you sort through things! It can be hard to make a call like this if you are already feeling really down, but it is important to get some help if you need it, and nothing to feel ashamed about!

Good luck!
#3 of 12 Old 02-05-2009, 06:33 PM

I'm sorry you're having a rough time. Perhaps you could call your care provider (MW, OB, Family Dr., whoever).

While I wouldn't say I've ever had PPD, I find I tend to get weepy. Music is what really gets me. At our 2 week PP visit with the MW, "Tears in Heaven" was playing on the radio, and I could barely keep it together. With my oldest daughter it was "You are so Beautiful" playing while we were at an Arby's when she was just a week or two old.

Again, I'm sorry. It can be so hard.
#4 of 12 Old 02-05-2009, 06:41 PM

I had PPD after having my first child. It's so common, but boy is it awful.

Mine was directly affected by how much sleep I got(as DS #1 was a terrible sleeper). If your LO isn't sleeping well, is it possible for someone to wake up with them at night, even if it is just once? Or can you get some time to yourself, get out of the house to clear your mind, even if it is just for a hour?

If it continues, definitely call someone(midwife, OB, etc) for assistance. They are prepared to help you out and they see this all of the time. I hope you feel better soon!

Mom to DS#1 and DS#2 fencing.gif
#5 of 12 Old 02-05-2009, 07:09 PM

I'm sorry you are having a tough time.

Bach flower remedies might help, a nice relaxing bath, a nap, some alone time, exercise, yoga, meditation, talking/getting it all out, making sure you have a healthy diet, & check out the PPD forum here. I know with DS sometimes I just had to put him down, go in the other room and bawl my eyes out or scream in my pillow. It did make me feel better and taking just a couple minutes to collect myself made a difference.

Having a new baby is a HUGE transition and it's not easy. Plus our bodies are going through a major change with all of the hormones going back to how they were. Don't feel guitly about how you are feeling and don't try to ignore it either.

If you can, find a support group either IRL or online. Talking about how you feel and having someone who understands is a really big help and you will feel better. If things don't 'look up' soon don't hesitate to contact your MW/Doctor for help, sometimes medication is needed.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#6 of 12 Old 02-05-2009, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.

It is so hard not to feel guilty... that is all I feel, overwhelming guilt and sadness. It doesn't help that I have my Mom and DH telling me to not be upset... yeah like it's that easy, and it gets me more upset.

I did call my MW today and they are sending me to a counselor because I have a history of depression. I can't shake the failure feeling. I hate when I get like this.

I have not been able to get a bath or relaxation time. DD doesn't stay sleeping long enough during the day, by night I'm exhausted and just trying to get some sleep in before the nurse/rock to sleep marathon of the night starts. DH was doing one feeding for her at night a couple times this week but was complaining too much I just stopped it. It's kind of better for him to do the morning feed anyway because then I can pump both sides and I get more in the morning.

I only get maybe 4 hours a day where someone else is here to help, and I usually take that time to shower, do laundry/dishes and make something to eat and eat with both hands!

I can't beleive I haven't figured out a schedule yet to be able to take care of myself and DD without someone here. It's really making me feel like I'm not meeting the par...

Thank you so much for pointing out that there is a PPD forum here.. I didn't even realize that. Going to check that out now.

Student, Aspiring CNM 

#7 of 12 Old 02-06-2009, 11:12 AM

This sounds so familiar. It does take a long time to figure things out. Have patience with yourself, it does get easier over time. I found that joining a support group for mamas with PPD, (that provides childcare for the older kids) has really helped. It only meets once a month, but it makes such a difference to have that resource to draw upon.

As far as getting a schedule together, have you sat down with your DP to hammer out a workable routine? Ideally, in our house, my DH is packing lunches up the night before so I won't have to juggle baby and the other 3 kids while trying to make sandwiches. It also helps for the days when we have an outing planned. I have also learned that if I don't take a shower BEFORE DH goes to work, I won't get one. I make it a priority now. DH holds the baby and gives the other kids their cereal while I take a 10 minute shower every day. I am worth it, and baby will wait for 10 minutes. I nurse her first anyway.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#8 of 12 Old 02-06-2009, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

lol Mamajody that is sooo true about the shower! I put my foot down with DH last week and said we have to fit in time in the morning for him to take care of DD so I can get a shower. It was driving me insane. We have been able to do that most days.

Feeling a little better today after talking to some good friends yesterday. After DH came home from work and he realized my MW was taking it seriously his tune changed quick and he was very supportive and held me for awhile while baby was in her pack and play. He then had me go take a nice hot shower and that helped a lot too.

I had called my Mom and had her come down last night too for a little. She of course lectured me about being upset in front of the baby, but it was still worth it for her to come down so I was able to wash all my pump parts from the day and that made me feel like I at least accomplished something. It does make me smile to see all the milk I have produced. I have a bunch in the freezer and 2 bottles ready for DH to help feed her this weekend. Got another 2 ounces this morning from a quick session. That is really making me feel much better. Kind of neat to see all the milk I can make. lol

Then this morning Dad brought down a roast in a crock pot for dinner tonight. So I'm feeling a little releived that my family is coming to the rescue so to speak after I cried out yesterday. I hate asking for help but I was feeling like I was under an avalanche of sorts. Pretty scary.

Thanks for all the kind words here too... that has helped as well. SIlly crazy hormones! :

Student, Aspiring CNM 

#9 of 12 Old 02-06-2009, 02:14 PM

I know what you mean about the hormones - mine are getting the best of me for sure.

I'm glad that your family is helping you out - I know how hard it is to ask when you need it, I've always hated asking for help from anyone.

#10 of 12 Old 02-06-2009, 05:35 PM

Just checking in to see how you are doing today! Sounds like you have found some support, so yay to your family!:

I cried when I read that your DH just sat and held you on the couch for a while. Seriously, this should be printed in a manual for new Daddy's I think! It does wonders for new Mama's!

Good luck on getting things into a manageable space! I'm sure it will happen soon!

Christy
#11 of 12 Old 02-06-2009, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Christy. I am feeling better today. Still anxious, but not crying. Thanks to my family. DH said he is going to make sure I get a nice bath this weekend too.

Student, Aspiring CNM 

#12 of 12 Old 02-07-2009, 02:10 AM

Good for you for putting your foot down and letting the people around you know you need help.

See if DH can do a few dishes and a little laundry for you, it makes a world of difference to not have that "I have to get this crap done!!" feeling

Let the people around you be busy while you get to know your babe.

And it's OK to not always be happy, it's OK to cry!!

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page