I NIPped today for the first time! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-06-2009, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD1 was always so distractable I never learned to nurse in public, not even under a blanket or in the sling or whatever.

We were out today at an indoor play place, and I just sat and nursed DD2 (5 weeks old) 3 times! It was easy! I hope it was discreet, and I didn't flash anyone! But then again, oh well if I did flash someone, right?

So, yeah, me!

I hope it gets easier every time. DD1 was so rambunctious and crazy, it was hard to pay a lot of attention to what I was doing with DD2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 02-06-2009, 07:36 PM

Yay!! That's awesome!

My Lincoln is distracted when he eats, and doesn't just latch on and stay, he's always latching on, popping off, letting milk get everywhere - he's so messy! I've been thinking about getting a Hooter Hider or something of the sort - anyone have experience with them?
#3 of 13 Old 02-06-2009, 09:03 PM

Good for you! It'll get easier and easier every time, too. I told the girls at LLL last night that you'll always remember your first NIP experience. I know I remember mine vividly, being so nervous about something nobody else batted an eye at.

Amanda, momma to Caroline (5/31/05) and Mary Elizabeth (1/8/09)
#4 of 13 Old 02-06-2009, 10:17 PM

nak

Hahaha... my first NIP experience was in the stroller aisle at a KMart the other day! I was there w/my mom & grandma. DD fell asleep in the car so I brought her in the store in her carseat bucket... buuuut she woke up, and she was HUNGRY and wanted us all to know it! The dressing rooms were nearby but didn't have chairs, so I figured screw it and fed her while we were standing there. It was actually rather easy and much less of a big deal than I'd anticipated.
#5 of 13 Old 02-07-2009, 11:15 AM

Just wait soon you'll be a PRO...I realized I had mastered nursing in public when ds was about 6 weeks old and mil and I went grocery shopping and as soon as we got in he wokeup..mil BEGGED me to go in the car..I proped ds on the handle bar or the cart, put the cover over got him to latch and continued to push the cart/shop while feeding.
Mil LOST her mind, a few people looked at me weird, but then a nice woman in her late 40's came up and said that she missed b/f and that she was so proud that such a young mom had the courage to b/f in public(i was 22), she had always been ashamed...best public b/f moment EVER

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#6 of 13 Old 02-07-2009, 05:06 PM

I've been NIP basically since the baby came. lol. I'm not ashamed....if Avi is hungry, she's gonna get food, darnit!! The day we came home from the hospital (she was a day and a half old) we stopped by my mom's work at the elementary school and she woke up in the middle of the trip. Put a blanket over my shoulder and viola. I've not had anyone make any comments, positive or negative....I think if you just do it and aren't embarrassed and are just sure of yourself and what you are doing, no one will react. Of course, as long as you arent flashing the bare boob around going "look at me" anyways.

Good luck mommas!!

Kathy Soup
Loving wife to an amazing SAHD : Mommy to Aviendha 01/19/09
#7 of 13 Old 02-08-2009, 04:20 PM

I've never been comfortable NIP. I'm just kinda shy about it, and DD1 was never great about nursing and not flashing my breasts to the world. I'm making more of an active attempt this time to NIP as often as the chance arrives, to hopefully become less nervous. I use my sling most the time, since I can stand/walk and nurse, I have a ring sling with a long tail and I LOVE it for this, I can cover up as I feel comfortable, and hide my flabby belly to if I'm needing to pull my shirt up. This baby is much worse than DD1 about nursing and staying on, constantly unlatching, is a challenge at times with NIP

mom to Reaghan born underwater into midwife's hands 1/17/07 & Myra born surrounded by doulas and midwife at home 1/12/09. Birth Educator, and Photographer, Baby #3 Coming May 2013!

#8 of 13 Old 02-09-2009, 04:46 PM

That's great!!

I have only been out once when DD has gotten hungry so far, and we were leaving anyway, so just fed her in the car. I have not taken the NIP plunge yet. lol

I have gotten pretty decent at adjusting my shirt just so, so it covers everything pretty well and don't need to bother with a blanket when my Dad is around. lol He is pretty old school and does not want to see me flashing away. But the blanket annoys me so much so worked on being a little more discreet.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#9 of 13 Old 02-09-2009, 05:07 PM

I'm hoping that Lincoln can learn to be discreet when nursing - but I think he is the messiest eater ever! Seriously, when I feed him he gets milk EVERYWHERE! Its hilarious. I didn't know babies could be messy when BF'ing, but he is. I haven't tried in public yet, but I'm trying to come up with a way to keep from getting milk all over me when he's nursing!
#10 of 13 Old 02-22-2009, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thyra, it'll probably get less messy over time. Baby dribbles a lot in the beginning, and you've got a bigger supply now in the beginning than you will in a month or so when your milk supply regulates better.
#11 of 13 Old 02-22-2009, 01:37 PM

Thanks Betsy - he is getting less messy, but I still love it when he's eating and he takes a break to smile at me with milk all over his face! I need to capture one of those grins on camera!

Oh yeah, and I thought I would share an embarrassing NIP moment! I was at school with Lincoln and he was hungry - so I got settled down in a chair, and started nursing him. I didn't have a blanket to cover up with, so we did without. As soon as my milk let down he un-latched (is that even a word?) and grinned at me, as milk was spewing out of my nipple!! Literally, there was an arch of milk coming out of my boob! I hope no one noticed....Lincoln thought it was pretty funny though!
#12 of 13 Old 03-02-2009, 09:34 AM

Had my first real NIP moment yesterday! At the picture studio place where we took the kids to get pics done. A few people smiled at me. It was neat. Then a woman next to me was giving her baby a similac bottle and she just kept staring at me...

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#13 of 13 Old 03-02-2009, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Good for you, Jenifer!

We were out yesterday for Sunday Dinner at the ILs and then to visit at a family friend's home with many, many people around. I nursed when needed and DH didn't even notice what was going on. Course, he's not the one tuned into baby's needs like that - it had been 6 hours since we'd left home and I'd fed the baby 2 or maybe even 3 times, and he says "We have to get home, that baby must be hungry by now!" I was like, "uh, no, she just nursed, and she nursed at your mothers. Where have you been?"

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page