Traveling with a 2 month old?? Need advice from BTDT moms! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-03-2009, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some advice from BTDT moms!!! My moms mom (Nana) ended up in the hospital last week, and it was found that she has lost a third of her heart function The doctors had to put a stent in one of her arteries to prevent a complete blockage that would have caused a heart attack. We're thankful that she went into see the doctor in time to prevent it, but I'm worried about her. She's ok, and I think she's going home today, but I REALLY want her too meet Lincoln, and I want to see my mom who's going to be visiting her soon to help her out.

So, we're driving from NYC to DC on Friday the 13th to visit her. We'll be staying with my aunt and uncle who live less than a mile from her (there isn't room at her apartment for all of us). Any advice on how to make a car trip go well?? We haven't gone far with him yet, although he sleeps in the car just fine.

Another question is how to introduce him to the dog (Lily) - a huge black German Shepard. The dog is friendly and knows me well, but has never met my boyfriend or the baby. She also has never met a baby to my knowledge - my cousins were older when they got Lily. Advice on this is welcome!!

TIA
#2 of 11 Old 03-06-2009, 02:12 PM

just plan on making extra nursing stops! bring more clothes & diapers than you think you'll need. when we traveled for a weekend away at 5 weeks, we didn't have any issues. over the years, we've become less dependent on 'things' and only use slings, but we used to travel with all the equipment and never used any of it! less is more.

and as for the dog - don't even think of letting the baby be within reach, even if you're there. if the dog has never been around babies, you don't know how she'll react to crying and the movements of a baby.

best wishes
--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#3 of 11 Old 03-06-2009, 11:04 PM

ditto the nursing stops...we haven't yet travelled far with this baby, but I can remember making quite long car trips with my others early on. I remember being really nervous about it taking forever to get there, but in reality the babies always did well and usually just slept and slept. It was always way worse in my mind beforehand than it ever turned out being.

now, don't ask for advice in another year, because travelling with a 1 year old is a whole new ballgame

Melissa, loving wife love.gif and mama to 4 girls now! DD 12, DD 10 1/2, DD 4, DD 2 Happily homeschool.gif, doing lots of hang.gif very little sleeping.gifof and as much as I can knit.gifsewmachine.gif reading.gif
#4 of 11 Old 03-07-2009, 05:26 PM

I found driving at night made road trips with the little one much easier.

As for the dog, if you feel the need for your baby to meet the dog, I would allow the dog to meet the baby on its terms. Come up and sniff if it chooses too. Too many new faces, new smells, and people who are feeling stress, will make for a stressed out dog as well. Otherwise I would allow too much interaction. Some dogs, in my experience, have been scared of children, especially babies, since they don't seems to realise they are people. I know its extreme, but i've seen it. I work with dogs under stress as a groomer, so I take no chances.

I second the sling suggestion as well, or some sort of carrier, unless you need a spot for the baby to sleep if they don't sleep with you, then a stroller could be a decent double for a bassinet if you rig it up right.

mom to Reaghan born underwater into midwife's hands 1/17/07 & Myra born surrounded by doulas and midwife at home 1/12/09. Birth Educator, and Photographer, Baby #3 Coming May 2013!

#5 of 11 Old 03-07-2009, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I just ordered a mei tai, and I'm hoping it will be here in time, but you never know. We also have an ergo - but Lincoln won't nurse in that (maybe I'm doing something wrong, I'll post in babywearing for that though).

The main reason I'm worried about the dog is that the dog LOVES me - she knows me from when she was younger and I spent a summer with my aunt and uncle. I'm worried that she is going to jump on me and in the process scare/hurt Lincoln. My boyfriend is going to hold/carry Lincoln as much as possible while we're there, but he can't hold him the whole time - not to mention he can't feed him!

I am really hoping the dog will be afraid of the baby since she is afraid of ALL people she doesn't know, so she won't let my boyfriend near her which is good cause he doesn't like dogs.

ok, thanks!
#6 of 11 Old 03-07-2009, 07:36 PM

I would just say enjoy it!! Travelling will never be this easy again. Babies are immensely portable.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#7 of 11 Old 03-08-2009, 09:01 PM

This is so funny because I just got back today from visiting our inlaws 8 hours away (8 hours with just me and Dh, anyway) with our two month old ds. We left Friday and got back today, which I thought would be way stressful, but it wasn't too bad. It took us 9 hours Friday and 8 1/2 today, and we didn't stop too many more times than we would have, but we waited for our baby to fuss. We just pulled over, changed him, nursed him, and got back on the road. We used sposies the whole weekend, but I think they're only really useful for the car ride (they absorb a lot more). I even figured out that I can nurse him in the backseat if I lean over the carseat. We never used a bottle.

My MIL has a great pyrenees who is one year old and still pretty puppy-ish, but HUGE and she was so sweet to our baby. She just sniffed him and her slobber was the worst thing, but still not too bad. My MIL was also vigilant about keeping an eye on her, so we didn't have to worry. Make sure your family is aware of what the dog is doing and can control her. My mom's dog is really well trained, which I'm sure makes a big difference.

The great thing about visiting family is that there are tons of people around who want to hold the baby, so your hands are free for a really long time! Plus all dh's family are pros, so I wasn't worried about who was holding the baby.

Bottom line: Don't panic, it will be fine! Babies generally like the car, and you just have to give them lots of attention and love once they're out of it. Good luck!

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#8 of 11 Old 03-08-2009, 10:03 PM

we've travelled extensively over the years with kids in diapers - car trips, international, hotels, relatives - and NEVER used sposies - never had any issues with absorbency. i just want to say it can be done, may be a tiny little more trouble, but not much. never regretted it. but i am not saying that to be critical - just trying to be helpful.

also never used a bottle

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#9 of 11 Old 03-09-2009, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

I'm mostly worried about people wanting to hold him too much! I know that people like babies, but he already has a preference for me and his dad and definitely always wants to know where we are if he can hear us.

He gets overstimulated really easily and then has a hard time falling asleep. When he gets upset and everyone sticks their face in his then he gets really upset. I just ordered a Kozy (I tried one and he LOVED it - slept the whole time he was in it when he usually would have been overstimulated) so I'm hoping it will help with that. Hopefully I get the Kozy before we leave!! I really hope he does ok and people leave him alone.
#10 of 11 Old 03-09-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyra View Post
I'm mostly worried about people wanting to hold him too much! I know that people like babies, but he already has a preference for me and his dad and definitely always wants to know where we are if he can hear us.

Hopefully I get the Kozy before we leave!! I really hope he does ok and people leave him alone.
In my experience, ppl will be less inclined to bother/touch/want-to-hold the baby if you're carrying him in a sling. so, i think you'll be ok - as long as you get the Kozy in time! as long as it's not shipping by horse/wagon to an extremely rural area, I'm sure you'll get it (if you've already ordered it!) this would be one case where expedited shipping would be worth the money, though!

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#11 of 11 Old 03-09-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
we've travelled extensively over the years with kids in diapers - car trips, international, hotels, relatives - and NEVER used sposies - never had any issues with absorbency. i just want to say it can be done, may be a tiny little more trouble, but not much. never regretted it. but i am not saying that to be critical - just trying to be helpful.

also never used a bottle
DH and I decided we really don't like the sposies, so we probably will go for cloth next time, as long as we have enough and there's somewhere to wash them. Sposies really stink like chemicals, and ds's skin doesn't like them. So even though we did it this time, we weren't impressed.

I should probably be doing something else right now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page