announcing to others - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 04-28-2008, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So how many of you have been able to keep this a secret and how many of you have told everyone by now?

How did you announce to others?

Or plan to announce?

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#2 of 29 Old 04-28-2008, 11:00 PM

Ack. *This* is my first announcement. Ha!

Hubby knows...and that's it! I plan to wait awhile for most people. I'll tell a couple people early, but our families didn't mind that we waited to tell them last time around, so I think they'll be fine this time. With any luck we will have nine long months in which to tell them
#3 of 29 Old 04-28-2008, 11:08 PM

heehee--MDC was my first announcement too. The only person aside from my DH who knows is my sister, cuz I just can't keep it quiet with her. And the midwife I met with today, who I loooove I am not planning on saying anything to anyone else probably until the 1st trimester is over or until they notice : I am toying with the idea of telling my parents on Mother's Day but we'll see. I only work with 3 other people, so they may well notice early on, and I'd be ok with telling them before the 1st trimester ends if it means they'd have a little compassion (which it would).

At first I thought I'd be bursting to say something but I'm actually happy with just me and DH and my sister knowing for now and for awhile. and all of you :

Bloomingstar Mommy to DS born 1.16.09 :
#4 of 29 Old 04-29-2008, 12:19 AM

Given how I got pregnant and what I do, quite a few already know. Thankfully MOST of those are surrogates so they understand the fragility of my situation. My mom knows but I had to tell her she is forbidden to spread it around until I tell her so. She is chomping at the bit though.

I told my hubby first though. I made a pair of soft sole bootie shoes for our baby coming in 16 weeks and put my digital test in it and stopped by his work. I couldn't wait for him to get home.

For the most part I will be waiting until the 9-12 week mark.
#5 of 29 Old 04-29-2008, 12:37 AM

Dh and the kids know. So does his mom. All my online friends know. Pretty much just my parents and brother need to find out (I'm not worried about telling cousins, etc...it'll get to them). I think I *might* send out an email to my parents saying something about my New's Resolution of losing weight is over and now I have to gain 25-35lbs back.

Husband and Wife 4/03, Ds1 9/03, Dd1 8/06, Ds2 12/08, Dd2 due 1/11...bfing, co-sleeping, cding, ecing, bwing, ucing, no-more vaxing, no-more circ'ing, hsing, conservative Christian family.
#6 of 29 Old 04-29-2008, 02:09 AM

Everyone in my fam knows. We went over to my parents house with my DD wearing a "I'm a big sister t-shirt" That is how I have always wanted to tell my parents. DH told his side, that was his job lol.
#7 of 29 Old 04-29-2008, 04:11 AM

My mother in law knows, and my neighbor knows. Hubby doesn't know yet. I've had a few chemical pregnancies so i'm TRYING to hold out until this weekend. We were trying to avoid since we have some medical issues with my daughter and he'll have trouble adjusting at first, but i'm not telling anybody else until he knows.
#8 of 29 Old 04-29-2008, 08:09 AM

Well yesterday morning I found out... and I told my DP immediately. As soon as I'd done that I called one of my best friends and told her and she immediately told her DH (they are also my DS Godparents).

Then I had an appointment yesterday and it happened to be with someone who is also a friend of mine and I told her. And then after my appointment I went to another really close friends house and told her and she told her DH. It's funny because I posted on MDC before heading to my appointment and I was really afraid my friend I saw in the afternoon would find me here before I got to her since she's a fellow MDCer.

I also told one of my friends for whom I babysit. She and I went through our pregnancies together before as well

So far that's 7 people I know for sure besides DP and I who know. This morning I'll be making one more phone call to my other best friend who lives in BC (3 hours time difference which is why I didn't get to call her yesterday between both of our work schedules).

I'm only telling people that I would rely on in case of another miscarriage. For our families and the general masses I will wait until 12 or 13 weeks. Maybe 14... I'm debating because the day I will be 14 weeks I'm getting married

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#9 of 29 Old 04-29-2008, 12:48 PM

Dh, MW & of course...all of you
with the Past & the recent loss..I don't want to go through all that again. I likely won't tell anyone untill I'm showing...or until I have to.....besides....it's kinda fun to have a secret
#10 of 29 Old 04-29-2008, 02:04 PM

only my dh and two best friends know.
I am waiting to tell family until after 1st trimester.
Let's see if I can stay quiet until June.
#11 of 29 Old 04-29-2008, 04:46 PM

Everyone in internet land! DH, MIL, FIL, my Mom (and whoever she has told even though i told her not to), and three of my best friends who were really supportive of my miscarriage. There is other family I will tell shortly (my sister and a cousin) but everyone else can find out when I am showing. I likely wont post on my blog until we hear a heartbeat and that could be a long time yet. I was 13.5 weeks before we heard DD's with the Doppler.

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#12 of 29 Old 04-29-2008, 05:05 PM

Oh my, I just nearly caved and told my co-workers. I think it's because the sun came out and I am just soooo elated! I can hardly hold it in! DH and I said we'd wait til 8 weeks to tell my co-workers (only 3 of them and we get along really really well) but I'm not sure I can keep it in! If I can make it through today without bursting, then maybe I can hold out a couple more weeks. At least until after my 1st prenatal appointment or something!

#13 of 29 Old 04-29-2008, 05:07 PM

I found out this morning and I told DH, my parents and siblings, my best friend, a co-worker who was with me when the doctor called yesterday and HAD to know, and another co-worker who needed to know so that I won't be scheduled to meet with too many students over the summer. (I'm a student myself and it would look bad). We're not telling anyone else until June, at least. I should be about 10 weeks then.

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#14 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 12:59 AM

dp and i know as well as some of our friends...

we're waiting to tell the families....maybe they'll figure it out on their own once my belly starts growing...
#15 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 10:31 AM

I think dh and I just decided to wait to tell my parents until ds spills it or until they notice. Hehe...

Husband and Wife 4/03, Ds1 9/03, Dd1 8/06, Ds2 12/08, Dd2 due 1/11...bfing, co-sleeping, cding, ecing, bwing, ucing, no-more vaxing, no-more circ'ing, hsing, conservative Christian family.
#16 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 11:01 AM

DH knows of course, and I told a few of my best friends. We are waiting to tell our DDs until we get a heartbeat. DD1 is not going to be happy so it is going to take some sweet talking. I don't want to convince her how wonderful this is going to be until we are fairly certain all is well. I have an appt next Wednesday, so hopefully after that we can tell the world. We are having my parents, siblings and grandparents over for Mothers' Day brunch and will have the girls wear "big sister" and "bigger sister" shirts that I am embroidering.
#17 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 11:51 AM

So far my DP, and my one dear friend... and all of you. hehe

I plan on telling my MIL and Mom tonight.

Not sure when we are going to tell DSD... I don't know how she is going to react... she is an only child now, and obviously this will be her first sibling from the new family... I'm nervous about it. I think she will be happy though. She LOVES babies. *nods*

This weekend will be interesting... I have my cousins birthday party to go to... so really I could tell the whole family at once. lol Well at least on my Mom's side... lol DP wants to be more cautious with it though.

But I told him my logic is, I'm pregnant NOW. I want to enjoy it. No sense worrying/hiding/keeping secret just in case something happens! If something happens I'm going to want my family's support and I don't want to deal with the awkward... oh yeah by the way I was pregnant and just lost it... no...

I'm comfortable with telling whatever family and close friends now.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#18 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 03:39 PM

Told a few friends and finally my parents over the weekend. Will also have to tell the IL's since their "Christmas at Disney" idea is just not gonna work this year! DH is gonna tell them in person sometime in the next couple days.

DD knows but I don't think she really understands. (She's 3.)
#19 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMa View Post
But I told him my logic is, I'm pregnant NOW. I want to enjoy it. No sense worrying/hiding/keeping secret just in case something happens! If something happens I'm going to want my family's support and I don't want to deal with the awkward... oh yeah by the way I was pregnant and just lost it... no...

I'm comfortable with telling whatever family and close friends now.
I actually feel the same way... everyone who will be supportive I want to tell (though I am scared to at the same time).

I am trying to enjoy every single day knowing that my track record isn't great (3 miscarriages, 2 chemical pregnancies, 1 live birth) but I just want to revel in today, in this moment because right now I *AM* pregnant... and that's amazing

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#20 of 29 Old 04-30-2008, 04:34 PM

Alison... that is a beautiful, beautiful way to put it.

And my God I'm teary again for the 9 billionth time today! lol

It is pretty amazing.

Student, Aspiring CNM 

#21 of 29 Old 05-01-2008, 11:52 AM

So I was half an hour late for work today because I just needed more time to sit at home and try not to feel quite so icky. I talked to DH about it and he said my reasoning made sense--if I am holding out telling them because I think something bad might happen, I'd still need to tell them then anyway. So why hot just tell them? I'm pretty close with the 3 women I work with--so I'm telling them today.

#22 of 29 Old 05-01-2008, 02:29 PM

DH won't let me tell his family, so they'll be the last to know. This time, I was blurting right away to all my internet friends first. Dh wasn't even the first to know because it took courage to tell him. I hate that. He shouldn't have to be wary when I tell him I'm pregnant. He should get to be happy. But everyone over here knows, basically. Just not out in CA where his family is.

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#23 of 29 Old 05-01-2008, 07:52 PM

I am the worst secret-keeper in the world, so this part is AGONIZING!

So far, my best friend, her husband/mom/dad, and MDC know. I'm sure it makes me a horrible wife for telling the best friend and letting her tell her family before DH knows, but he's out of town and I REALLY want to tell him in person... and I had to tell SOMEBODY! :

I'm scheming different ways to tell our families - MIL, FIL and SIL will be visiting us on Mother's Day, so I'm tempted to give MIL something having to do with grandmothers. I'd like to do the same for my mom, who was planning to visit at the same time, but now it looks like she won't be after all so I'm not sure if I should mail it and have her open it on the phone, or what...

My sister and I have a running joke about a friend of hers who, at nine months pregnant, said "I'M SICK OF BEING PREGNATE!" on her MySpace... And was dead serious. I don't know how you can be about to give birth and not know how to spell pregnant. Anyway, I'm going to tell my sister I'm pregnate, too.

Grandma who might end up sharing a birthday with the baby will probably get a phone call... extended family/friends will probably find out through the grapevine, assorted phone calls, MySpace, etc.

Does anybody have cute stories about the way you told your DH/DP? I'm trying to figure out if I just want to tell him I'm pregnant the minute he walks in the door, tell him he's going to be a dad, make him a nice dinner, give him a test, give him a book, etc... I have a bazillion ideas but none of them have seemed perfect yet.
#24 of 29 Old 05-02-2008, 10:12 AM

I just showed DP the test, well actually told him where it was as I was in the shower, and he just got home from work. lol I told him to look under my shirt where I had it stowed away. hehe I couldn't speak much then as I was still shaking.

I was all cryptic when telling my sister because I was in the waiting room waiting for the blood test and didn't want all kinds of people to stare at me. lol So I said I had big news, and I wanted her to guess.. she was like, "huh, do I get a hint?" "I'm waiting to get blood drawn to confirm something..." "YOU'RE PREGNANT!!!"

Student, Aspiring CNM 

#25 of 29 Old 05-03-2008, 02:21 AM

Oooh I fail at secrets. Told the hubby today - when he got home I told him I had a present for him, made him close his eyes, handed him the digital test... He didn't believe me! I insisted and finally had to pull out a FRER to prove it, lol. Once he realized I wasn't messing with him, he was overjoyed. It was awesome.

We promptly called pretty much everybody we know, including a sibling each. The only people we're trying to keep kind of insulated are our parents and my grandma and his sister - they are all going to find out on Mother's Day.
#26 of 29 Old 05-03-2008, 12:25 PM

Oh, that's great that you finally got to tell your DH! I am waiting to tell my parents on Mother's Day too. I want to tell my Grandmother but I may just need to start with telling her we've been married for 2 years first : I figure if I get my call in to her first thing on Mother's Day, by the end of the day I will have saved myself the postage and printing costs on announcements. We just never got around to telling everyone since they live so far away But I know it'll make my parents' day.

#27 of 29 Old 05-04-2008, 02:20 AM

My DH knew as soon as I did, because I made him look at like 5 HPTs to make sure I wasn't imagining the line! He was skeptical, since it was so faint, until I did a digital test a few days later - he trusts words more than shades of pink and blue!

I told my mom on the phone last weekend - she was the first to know. I told my sister today, but as soon as she said congrats, she started doing the whole doctor-hospital-anti-midwife-anti-homebirth thing, etc. Grrr. I'm trying to let it slide, since she'd be high risk if she ever got preg.
DH and I will tell all of his parents (and his steps) when we see them in 2 weeks. They're going to fall off their chairs, since they didn't know we were trying and I'm a 1L in law school! As for how we'll tell them, we're planning on showing them our professional wedding albums, since they haven't seen them yet, and then handing them another album that's blank, with a note inside, saying "photos due around 1/6/09".

I'm not sure when we'll tell everyone else. Since I'm only 5 weeks right now, I'm wary of screaming it to the world, even though that's exactly what I want to do! Also, my 19-year-old cousin who lives with her parents and is dating a high school student (!) just announced (on facebook, no less) that she's pregnant. My extended family is still shocked and disappointed with her (but not surprised, sadly), so I'll feel a little bad for her when I announce that I'm pregnant, since their reactions will be so different. *sigh*

SAHM to DS Jan09, DD Mar11. lactivist.gifintactivist.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpguc.jpgwinner.jpggd.gifcaffix.gif

#28 of 29 Old 05-05-2008, 06:31 PM

told my co-workers friday and my boss today. they're all happy and reminded me to make use of th couch in our office. thankfully my boss has 3 kids (a 22 year old, 5 year old and 2 year old) and has deep understanding and sympathy for the fatigue.

I'm done telling people for awhile--well, except for my parents on mother's day. I just want to make sure everything is ok for awhile and make it through the first trimester.

#29 of 29 Old 05-05-2008, 11:44 PM

I'm toying with the idea of not telling anyone until they figure it out on their own... How evil would *that* be!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page