Mothering Forum banner

Pregnant and nursing?

2K views 72 replies 44 participants last post by  canadiannancy 
#1 ·
Ds is 3 years old (on Sunday!) and still nursing up a storm. I've gotten so sensitive so quickly! I want him to keep nursing as long as he wants - I just hope I can hold out
. He loves nursing so much that he sings songs about it, makes jokes about, tells stories about it...

At this point it's bearable, but I've heard stories about later in pregnancy!

See less See more
#54 ·
DS has been sick the last couple of days and has gone from nursing about 4x's per day to pretty much nursing ALL day. My nipples are a little sore, but otherwise I'm glad to provide him comfort during his illness.

Anyway, today as I was sitting there nursing I started getting paranoid that this sudden change in nursing habits could affect my hormones and create a bad environment for the little bean I'm growing. What do you ladies think?? Should I try to limit DS a bit? Or do you think there won't be an impact??

I guess Im just paranoid about the hormone stuff b/c I just got my first pp AF and I feel like things are still a little shaky on that front, so I want to do whatever I can to help this new little one stick.

#56 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by RunnerMommy View Post
DS has been sick the last couple of days and has gone from nursing about 4x's per day to pretty much nursing ALL day. My nipples are a little sore, but otherwise I'm glad to provide him comfort during his illness.

Anyway, today as I was sitting there nursing I started getting paranoid that this sudden change in nursing habits could affect my hormones and create a bad environment for the little bean I'm growing. What do you ladies think?? Should I try to limit DS a bit? Or do you think there won't be an impact??

I guess Im just paranoid about the hormone stuff b/c I just got my first pp AF and I feel like things are still a little shaky on that front, so I want to do whatever I can to help this new little one stick.
Wait, I don't get the AF metion. Surely, no AF if you're
! Hehe.

I don't limit nursing and I wouldn't especially since it sounds like your DS needs it right now. I haven't read all the research in a loong time and I quickly looked up info on kellymom on BF during pregnancy.

Maybe that'll help calm your concerns?

#58 ·
Haha- sorry for the confusion
when I mentioned AF I meant that I got pg after my first PP AF, so I felt like things were just getting straightened out, hormone wise.

Thanks for the link! I wasn't going to cut back nursing DS anyway (who can deny a grumpy babe
) but its nice to not worry about doing it.

#61 ·
so, I keep hearing from some people that nursing while pregant can be dangerous "under certain conditions".

So, what are those conditions? How would I know if I'm "at risk" this early on and before I begin dr. visits?

tia!!

#62 ·
The pain's back en force! Ouch! Makes me wonder if it's how nature tells us to wean, lol. Well, nature, I'm well-nourished enough that I don't need to, so *blows razz*!

#63 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by shanahan View Post
so, I keep hearing from some people that nursing while pregant can be dangerous "under certain conditions".

So, what are those conditions? How would I know if I'm "at risk" this early on and before I begin dr. visits?

tia!!
Those conditions are when you're a risk for preterm labor.

#64 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xakana View Post
Those conditions are when you're a risk for preterm labor.
That or you have an underlying medical condition that needs to be dealt with, but you would already know that.
I weaned my 1st DD at 44 months when pregnant with the twins. At 12 weeks I was already having contractions when she nursed, and I knew it wouldn't pay to keep it up. My milk had gone anyway, so it was a mutual agreement and not traumatic. I am very nervous about the boys, though. They are only 19 months, and not even CLOSE to being ready to wean. I am working on night weaning, though.

#66 ·
I'm glad to say nursing hasn't been painful yet! Good thing because DS (almost 2) still nurses a lot and I'm quite sure he won't be weaning during this pregnancy. My DS (3 1/2) is still nursing a bit too.

(Knock on wood!)

#67 ·
dd is still nursing like a fiend. she is night weaned but loves to nurse during the day. it doesn't hurt yet but it doesn't feel good either. i want to climb the walls when she nurses. i hope to at least continue until after our trip east in June/July. then we'll see.

#70 ·
well, I just discovered today that I'm pregnant, though I must say, the fact that there has been piercing pain everytime ds (2 1/2) nurses could have told me that before I took the test.

I remember now what it was like when I got pregnant with ds and how my nipples ached all the time....and there was no babe eagerly nursing on them then. The pain is so intense, I don't know how I'm going to handle it.

I don't want to cut him off, he hasn't responded well to cutbacks I've tried to make in the past and I really wanted weaning to be a gentle, gradual and peaceful process.

But this!!! It's been torture and it's only been a couple of days.

#71 ·
Same here, although DD is only 10mo. I kept thinking she was biting me before I tested, but she never bites... Although at the time I didn't connect the two.
Now I'm going "Oohhhh!"

She seems to be wanting to nurse MORE lately. I dunno if it tastes different or she gets more or what, but it's... a little annoying.

#73 ·
I am nursing my 6.5 month olds daughter, I too thought she was biting recently could have been nipple sensitivity due to pregnancy. I am very nervous about losing my supply, since my supply dropped so quickly with DD2 and DD3. I am looking into More Milk two tincture or some other methods of increasing supply for my girl. She hasn't been taking bottles at all, and we just started trying any solids at all so I really want to keep up my supply as long as possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.