Mothering Forum banner

Pregnant and nursing?

2K views 72 replies 44 participants last post by  canadiannancy 
#1 ·
Ds is 3 years old (on Sunday!) and still nursing up a storm. I've gotten so sensitive so quickly! I want him to keep nursing as long as he wants - I just hope I can hold out
. He loves nursing so much that he sings songs about it, makes jokes about, tells stories about it...

At this point it's bearable, but I've heard stories about later in pregnancy!

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, it looks like I'm in the same boat. Pg and nursing. My DS is only 10 months. I actually just went and got some formula this afternoon because he's teething again and he is always biting me. Then this evening I took a test just for the fun of it and it was positive! I think I'll test again in the morning because I just can't believe it all the way. I don't even know when I would be due. My son has never taken a bottle and has only drank out of a cup a couple times so we'll see what happens.

Good luck with your pregnancy.

#3 ·
Count me in. My guy is almost two and I haven't really thought about weaning. My nipples are a tad more sensitive now, but not too bad. We'll see what happens. I'm sure that most people will encourage me to wean him, but I don't think that either of us is ready.

#4 ·
count me in as well....

my son is almost 18 months and still going strong...actually I've noticed an increase in his desire to nurse.... i think this is due to the fact that he's getting teeth though....

i wonder if he'll wean and then come back to it once he sees the new babe nursing....

it shall be an adventure nonetheless....

#5 ·
I'm in the same boat. My youngest son is 20 months and I'm still nursing. I plan to Tandem Nurse, like I did with my first two. My nipples are extremely senstive, as well. Also, my left breast is so sore...it almost feels like I have a plugged duct....I noticed the pain about two weeks ago...it was one of my first clues that I was pregnant again.

#6 ·
I'm double tandem nursing, ugh.
My 5yo is down to about 1-2 times a week but my 3yo is in love w nsg.
If he sees me w/o my shirt he exclaims, "Oh! there's my baba's!" and kisses them so lovingly. it's so sweet. only seems to hurt when he latches but man, I think I am producing much more milk! that seems wierd to me, shouldn't it be the other way around? I don't think I made that much milk before being pg, now I hear them gulping much more and feel the let-down.

#7 ·
Count me in! I am nursing my 20 month old all the time. I couldn't even hazard a guess how many time he nurses in 24 hours.

I also nurse my really close friends DD when she's here (4 days a week, for 11 hours per day).

Tandem nursing through pregnancy... didn't think I'd be here for a long time if ever, and yet... so far so good

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prism View Post
I'm double tandem nursing, ugh.
My 5yo is down to about 1-2 times a week but my 3yo is in love w nsg.
If he sees me w/o my shirt he exclaims, "Oh! there's my baba's!" and kisses them so lovingly. it's so sweet. only seems to hurt when he latches but man, I think I am producing much more milk! that seems wierd to me, shouldn't it be the other way around? I don't think I made that much milk before being pg, now I hear them gulping much more and feel the let-down.
Me too! One of my first notions something was going on with my body was that my milk supply increased. Of course I couldn't believe I was pregnant because I thought for sure it'd go down during pregnancy (and that was one of my biggest fears about gettng pregnant).

I havn't been engorged in FOREVER, until I got pregnant and now a couple of times this week I have been. It's not for lack of nursing either... it's definitely more milk there.

I wonder, since you have two nursing, and I have two nursing most days if that has any bearing on it?

#9 ·
I'm still nursing dd too. She nurses quite a bit during the day and 3ish times at night. My nipples actually don't hurt yet, I'm a bit surprised. When I was pg with dd, they would hurt soooo bad when ds would latch on. I'm sure its coming though. I think usually your milk supply does go up a bit. But I completely lost all my milk by 16 weeks pg even though ds was still nursing a few times a day. I tandem nursed until she was 10 months (ds was only for nap and bedtime...until he quit napping when she was a few months old, so only for bedtime when we stopped altogether).

#10 ·
good to know I"m not the only one with this strange 'more milk' phenomenon in early pregnancy. I'm sure it will lessen later, but I wonder about what's going on? Like more prolactin or oxytocin or something? Interesting.
I have zero appetite, though, I have to force myself to eat and everything tastes like cardboard.

#12 ·
Thanks for starting this thread. My nine-month old is nursing more at night now and, though it's a little uncomfortable, I am not inclined to stop. I never thought I'd be the one to tandem nurse, but I also thought I'd never be the one to be ready to "try" again when I had a nine-month old!

#13 ·
I'm still nursing two as well. My DS who is 3 and a half only nurses once every few days. I don't anticipate he'll keep it up much longer. My DS who is nearly 2 nurses whenever I sit down. I remember it made my skin crawl when I nursed during my last pregnancy, but I was so glad I made it through! Maybe it will be a little easier this time with an older nursling?

#16 ·
Count me in here too. I am nursing my 14 mth old dd and she still nursing lots and lots at night still. It is nice to see I am not the only doing the night nursing thing still. I am still not decided on tantum nursing but I do plan on nursing at least until the baby comes.
I am very sensitive and dd has started to bite a bit too. Not fun.

#17 ·
You can add me to the club!
My DD is 3 and I'm due mid-January! Luckily my DD is down to nursing 1-2 times/day. If it were more often I don't know how long I'd last. It hurts already.
I also feel like I have more milk, my breasts went from saggy not much there to full again in the past week. Not sure what that is all about?! I guess we'll see how the pregnancy pans out!

#18 ·
I'm in, too. DS is almost 2 and nurses 3-4 times per day, but not at night anymore for the last month. So far I can feel a little more tenderness, but nothing too terrible. I actually hope he weans during the pregnancy because when he was a newborn he'd nurse for about an hour at a time, then start again an hour later. I'm not sure I'll handle it well if the new babe is the same way with ds wanting his share, too.

So far I'm not noticing increased supply, but then I'm not even 5 weeks yet.

#20 ·
me, too. DS is 13 months old. Want to tandem nurse but my supply is dwindling and nipple pain is realllly bad. I am going to start mother's milk tea this week. I've always been a soaker with huge supply so this is a new experience for me. And I battled thrush for 12 weeks at the beginning so the nipple pain is not, shall we say, a pleasant memory for me. . .it's very similar (but not actually thrush) and I just want to know when it's going to get better!

DS nurses 2-5 times per day and at least 4 times a night
Not sure how I feel about night nursing him when newborn baby arrives, but I do not feel he is ready to nightwean at all!

I also feel like I'm struggling with food intake b/c of nausea. I am not a tiny woman, and I love eating, but b/c of all-day-sickness I am really having trouble eating enough and feel tired, miserable and sometimes even dizzy/low blood pressure!

This is so different from my first pregnancy, which was a total walk in the park
The best part is nursing allows me to lay down and sometimes catch a catnap with DS!

EBeth

#21 ·
well my dd turned five yesterday and today she announced:

"Now that I'm five I won't get ba-ba's anymore!"

wow, if she holds up I'm really excited that I made my goal of
letting her self-wean.

Her 3yo bro was standing there and said, "but I still need baba's"......

looks like I'm down to double tandem instead of triple tandem nursing!

#24 ·
Nursing a 3-year-old here. She still nurses quite a lot, though I've found myself trying to get her to cut back the past couple of days. She isn't taking it well, but I'm SOOO sore I feel like I have to do something! Anyone else having success trying to cut back on nursing an older child?

#26 ·
My DS is only 10 1/2 months and I was trying to get him on more table foods because I'm starting to get sore. Well, yesterday he got sick so he's back to nursing for almost all his food again. I still don't know when I'm due with this baby, but I don't plan on tandem nursing. Good luck to everyone that is. Hope you all had a good Mother's Day!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.