First time moms, check in here! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 05-20-2008, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mommabearvcr

I was pretty freaked during the first couple weeks when I felt crampy and like my period would show up any minute but then I figured that everything was getting settled into place.

Bloomingstar Mommy to DS born 1.16.09 :
#32 of 53 Old 05-20-2008, 10:42 PM

Hi! I figured I'd introduce myself in here--my name is Libby, I'm 30 years old, and I found out on Friday that #1 is on the way! I have my first appointment with a CNM from my OB/GYN's office on June 10th, and then my first appointment with the homebirth midwives the next day. I'll probably be switching my OB/GYN care to someone a bit more homebirth-friendly--the midwives will hook me up with someone at the first appointment that I can go to for my ultrasound and any other prenatal testing I might need. But I'm pretty set on a homebirth--I went to visit a friend of mine who just gave birth in a hospital and it was horrifying.

Nice to meet you all!
#33 of 53 Old 05-20-2008, 10:46 PM

THANK YOU for the acronym table laurelg!

& welcome buckeye!

xo
a.

DD 12/08
#34 of 53 Old 05-22-2008, 07:43 PM

How's everyone doing? I read today that my uterus is the size of a grapefruit and the baby is the size of a strawberry. One of my friends asked how I was today and I told her that I am apparently a fruit basket.

I am still going back and forth over what I think my real due date is. I should just decide on one and stop waffling (mmmm, waffles The chart I did on paper says I ovulated April 13th even though my LMP started on March 22nd. Fertility Friend says April 6th. It puts me a week off, one way or the other. But it was also my first chart so I have no past history to draw on, other than the fact the I have longer cycles (like 32days). So far I've been saying my due date is between 12/29 and 1/5. But I'd like to know for the purposes of keeping track in my journal and so on. No u/s for me til week "18" But when I saw my midwife last week, she said my uterus was just nearer to lemon sized, so no more than 7 weeks. So maybe I'm right, dammit : It would also make sense for me to be right given the amount of sleeping I did this past weekend--if things were doubling in size in there, no wonder I took 5 hour naps after a full night's sleep both nights!

ok, done rambling. I think I have a constant ramble going in my head--I don't know if that's a first time mom thing though. Maybe it happens no matter what.

#35 of 53 Old 05-22-2008, 10:01 PM

Hi I'm 33 and DH is as well--we're expecting our first on 1/26/09! I'm cautiously very excited, but we have so much going on this year, the countdown has officially started: we have 8 months to get a house, get a better job for me, and get DH's business up and running...all before baby arrives!

I don't imagine I'm showing yet--no change as far as I can tell, but breasts are tender...
#36 of 53 Old 05-23-2008, 02:13 PM

Hi everyone
My sister pointed me towards this site as a place for support and good advice. I'm 22 and six weeks pregnant. I just found out on Monday. I was not planning or trying to have a baby at this point in my life, but am working on accepting this big change and really do see it as a positive. I don't really know what to expect. I've been having mild cramps as I saw others have but no bleeding. I'm not sure if I'm just paranoid about something going wrong or really should be this worried! Other than that, I just can't believe how hungry and tired I feel. My first prenatal visit is two weeks away, I'm just trying to hold it together until then!
#37 of 53 Old 05-24-2008, 12:08 PM

Hi everyone! My husband and I (both mid-twenties) just found out on Wednesday that we are expecting our first on 1/29/09! I'm only about 4 weeks along, so it's still really early. We weren't really actively TTC, but it wasn't completely unexpected either. We are thrilled, to say the least. I've lurked on this site for 6 months or so since we've been talking about TTC, and I hope to get to know you all better in the coming months. So far I haven't really felt any symptoms, just some mild cramping. My husband is waiting on me hand and foot, even though I told him he could wait until/if I feel icky to do that, but he won't hear it. We haven't really discussed birthing plans yet, but I'm enjoying reading about everyone's stories here on MDC.
#38 of 53 Old 05-24-2008, 01:54 PM

welcome just1day, Minerva, and beaglebaby!

#39 of 53 Old 05-24-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabearvcr View Post
Hi everyone,
I am 5 weeks pregnant and a little nervous. This is my first and I am trying to read everything I can, but don't know what is normal. I have a doctor's appointment in 3 days. ( after waiting a week and a half, I am going crazy )
Is it normal to have some mild cramping during these first few weeks? I haven't had any bleeding but sometimes feel like my period could come at any second.
I'm right here with you. I didn't think I was pregnant because I was/am cramping like I usually do before my sometimes late period.

I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow to see what he says.

I don't know when we are going to start telling people. I'd like to wait until July really. But that means I can't ask questions of the women around me who have done it all before.

Anyway glad to be joining my fellow first-timers.
#40 of 53 Old 05-26-2008, 04:00 AM

Hi all! Still figuring out all the abbreviations, etc. on this board. I'm looking forward to getting to know you!

I'm 8 weeks pregnant and very excited! I've been charting for 3 years & taking my basal temperature - we got pregnant the second month we really "tried"!!! That's even with the added challenge of trying out Shettles' gender selection techniques (hoping for a girl!). We met with our midwife two weeks before conception and she is wonderful! I am trained as a doula (though never practiced) and had (when I lived in Portland, Oregon) imagined giving birth in a birth center birth with the support of a midwife and doula. I was born in one in '77 with a whole crowd (staff who had gotten off work) watching and cheering my mom on, I'm told! However, in Costa Rica the only birth center is really a type of hospital and not what I want. I'm now planning a home birth with a birthing tub.

My boyfriend and I have told my parents and all of his family members we have seen. Still haven't told my extended fam. My parents are super supportive and very excited. We live in Costa Rica and his family is a bit more traditional, accustomed to hospital birth, etc... one aunt who is a obstetric nurse at a hospital just couldn't shut up about how "dangerous" a home birth and how I needed to have a surgeon, machines, blah blah blah...: I totally tuned out and let my partner handle it! Glad that most everyone else in my life is very willing to listen to my preferences and beliefs about natural childbirth and parenting!

Mama to Gabriel (1-10-2009) and newborn Helena (10-9-2011) h20homebirth.gif with DP Julio.  ...cloth diapering, attachment parenting, infant EC-ing, etc.

#41 of 53 Old 05-26-2008, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Something new: I hate eating.

I'm visiting family/best friends in California, and I feel like I can't eat more than a few bites at a time without getting nauseous. I finally actually threw up the other night, for the first time since getting pregnant - I'd tried to eat cheese quesadillas for dinner (oh god, I can't even bear to think of them) and it did not turn out well, at all.

I pretty much have an aversion to the idea of food, in general. Yuck.
#42 of 53 Old 05-27-2008, 10:29 AM

I am having the same problem. It started the night before last... I threw up out of the blue after having just one slice of pizza. Now pretty much no matter what I eat within an hour I am yapping. The only think I ate yesterday that stayed down was a popsicle. Oh well I guess nausea is a good sign.
#43 of 53 Old 05-27-2008, 10:56 AM

Hi! I just got a positive test this morning!!

I'm 35, and this is my first.

According to FF, my due date based on ovulation is in early Feb, but there's no forum for that yet, so I thought I'd pop in here and say hello! I'm so giddy.

#44 of 53 Old 05-27-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva0302 View Post
Hi everyone
My sister pointed me towards this site as a place for support and good advice. I'm 22 and six weeks pregnant. I just found out on Monday. I was not planning or trying to have a baby at this point in my life, but am working on accepting this big change and really do see it as a positive. I don't really know what to expect. I've been having mild cramps as I saw others have but no bleeding. I'm not sure if I'm just paranoid about something going wrong or really should be this worried! Other than that, I just can't believe how hungry and tired I feel. My first prenatal visit is two weeks away, I'm just trying to hold it together until then!
Not a first-timer but I read your post and had to respond. I was 22, very newly married and actually ON birth control when my son was conceived. Needless to say it was a huge shock. It altered my school plans, it changed everything. But in the end, being a mom changed everything for the better. It is hard to be young and pregnant and not really expecting it yet! I am sure it will all work out well for you. Please stick around for support and information- I wish I had known about MDC back when I was first pregnant.

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
#45 of 53 Old 05-27-2008, 11:19 AM

Congratulations Violet!

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#46 of 53 Old 05-27-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMa View Post
Congratulations Violet!
Thanks!! We're pretty stunned, and so excited!

Weird thing is I was at the doc last week for an infection and she wanted to give me antibiotics, but I told her we were ttc. So she gave me a blood test at 10 dpo. It was negative. So she told me to take the pills. I decided not to, as I didn't think 10 dpo was late enough to be sure, even from a blood test. She tried to convince me it was 100%. Anyway, today is 14 dpo, and the urine test says yes! Haven't told my doc yet, but I'm very glad I didn't fill the prescription. My understanding is I should still take them, but not til second trimester.

#47 of 53 Old 05-27-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijip View Post
Not a first-timer but I read your post and had to respond. I was 22, very newly married and actually ON birth control when my son was conceived. Needless to say it was a huge shock. It altered my school plans, it changed everything. But in the end, being a mom changed everything for the better. It is hard to be young and pregnant and not really expecting it yet! I am sure it will all work out well for you. Please stick around for support and information- I wish I had known about MDC back when I was first pregnant.
Thanks for the support. My emotions about this are going crazy. One minute I'm so excited and happy then the next I'm crying because I don't know how I'm going to finish school (I would have been finished in May of '09). It feels complicated right now but I know it will be okay. Luckily, I've got eight months to plan!
#48 of 53 Old 06-04-2008, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

So, ladies... has anybody hit the freaking-out-what-in-the-hell-am-I-doing-I-am-too-young-for-this-I-have-no-business-raising-a-child-oh-noes point yet?

...or is that just me? :

My best friend told me the day after she found out she was pregnant (planned pregnancy) she went to the beach by herself and cried. I thought I might escape such emotions since I didn't have any freak-out moments immediately after finding out about our baby (also planned).

Uhm... I think I was just a bit slow getting there.

I keep telling myself I think everybody freaks out at some point, so it's not like I'm a weirdo. And the one thought that brings me peace and excitement consistently is knowing I'm making my husband a dad, which is something he's been very excited about for a very long time.

So - anyone else freaked out about this HUGE FLIPPING CHANGE we've just invited into our lives? What are y'alls thoughts of consolation? Spill it!
#49 of 53 Old 06-04-2008, 11:42 PM

oh yes girl, been there, done that, still there, still doing that!!!! About a week ago I was in the bathroom reeling from yet another bout of nausea and all I could think was "OH SHIT!!! I only have 7 or so months left!!!!" how the hell am I supposed to get ready for this? what am I supposed to do???!!!!

and yes, this after planning, discussing, having baby fever for a couple years...
bottom line is, I'll be 28 by the time this baby gets here. I'm glad about it, and I guess I'll just have to figure it out, hehe. I'm not worried about being too young--a few years ago, maybe, I would've lost it about my age and not having a master's degree yet and all the million hings I can think up that I could have done before this but...hey, it'll all work out.

So yes, I have had and still sometimes have the freakout But I was talking to my boss the other day and she has a 23 year old and is still sometimes like "I have a 23 year old child? How'd that happen? How am I supposed to prepare?" haha.

I don't have any close friends with kids. And I don't think they're anywhere close to having any either, so that's actually something I am kind of nervous about. They already know they have to cook for us the first 2 weeks after the birth though--they can just rotate days amongst themselves and drop it off! Trying to think through tiny details like that makes it a little better for me somehow. and I apparently have a lot more to say about this than I thought!!!

#50 of 53 Old 06-05-2008, 12:28 AM

I've been there too laurel! In fact, last night during all our crazy tornado watches and warnings my husband was at work and I was trying to corral five dogs into one space in case there actually *was* a tornado and the whole time I was thinking "How the french would I do this with a crying baby too?!" I'm the oldest of four and my husband is the youngest of four, and we were the first to get married and now the first to have a baby, so while everyone is really excited about it, I feel like they're a little uptight about it too. Okay, and while I'm on the subject, why oh why do people say "Are you sure you're ready for that?" when we say we're pregnant? Number one, how the eff would we know?! Who could ever answer that question with absolute certainty? And number two, we live comfortably, own our home and both vehicles, have savings, and we have a solid marriage, etc... I think we have a pretty good start.

Anyway, rant over! I will be 6 weeks tomorrow--woo!
#51 of 53 Old 06-05-2008, 09:27 AM

Honestly... I think my Mom is more freaked than me. lol I got this huge lecture last night because we don't have our own place yet... we are saving and we don't want to move til after the wedding in August. She yelling and yelling that I can't raise a baby in an attic and what was I thinking and blah blah blah.

I'm honestly not worried about it. I put it in God's hands, and I just Know everything will work out. *shrugs* I am sure we will have a place by time baby gets here... there is too much going on before that for me to worry about that now. I'd rather not stress myself out because I'd turn into a chaotic mess. I suffer from anxiety issues if I'm not careful about keeping all my thoughts in check... so yeah... as soon as I feel my blood pressure rise, I'm trying to shelve it for now.

Student, Aspiring CNM 

#52 of 53 Old 07-01-2008, 12:11 AM

thought I'd revive this :

how is everyone doing? I am doing just fine. I'm officially in my 2nd trimester, just barely. (My due date is really 12/29 but I just have a feeling things may go into january) The other day I had a small freak-out about only having 6 months left to figure out what I am supposed to be doing to get ready. So far that has included completely redoing my tiny little apartment and daydreaming about getting out of New York to somewhere with more space for less money. I think the baby and I also grew in maybe the last 2 days. It looks more like maybe something is really there and less like I had a big dinner. That's exciting. And I have gotten offered a few seats on the train (subway) so it seems to be less in my head and more in reality.

So how are you all doing? Any updates?

#53 of 53 Old 07-01-2008, 10:00 AM

I'm in second tri too... though still feeling pretty crappy. I'm due Jan. 5.... I'm still heaving every morning, and sometimes here and there throughout the day. I am constantly extremely exhausted... I probably look like a drug addict because my eyes seem to be permanently in a half closed as I'm THAT tired... no matter how early I go to bed.

I need a vacation really really bad.

I recently had the freak out too... We finally are moved into our house! : And I figured now would be a good time to start a registry... but DP wasn't on board... then of course I flipped. I don't think he is feeling the crunch as much as me because he has gone through this already, and it is grating on me a little bit... since I told him he needs to start being more sensitive about it he has been. So that is happy... but I'm constantly edgy... likely from being so tired.

Isn't feeling good supposed to start soon? lol

Student, Aspiring CNM 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page