In our 40s and due in January - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 544 Old 12-06-2008, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A Groundhog Day baby! for tiredness. I slept really poorly last night and induced dd to curl up with me this afternoon for a couple of hours (accommodating girl!). Then I fell asleep at my book group meeting this evening but I figured everyone would cut me some slack.

Now I am up late helping dh pack to take dd away for the weekend for the first time! I'm not worried about her but I'm feeling a bit of separation anxiety.

I'm glad all is well with you and the baby. Why was your date moved up? As far as I know, I'm still on for Jan. 12 but that could shift I suppose, depending on how the next few weeks go.
#302 of 544 Old 12-06-2008, 11:17 AM

Wow, you are all getting so close! I know I have said that before but you really are!
I hope you are feeling better soon Juneau, those last few weeks are tough, especially when you have a LO at home. My DD will turn 7 just before my EDD and my DS will be 5 in March so hopefully it will be easier this time than when I was hugely PG with him and she was 19 months!
Glad everyone's care provider's visits have gone so well this week.

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#303 of 544 Old 12-06-2008, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

How are you doing, VM? Only two more days till your u/s! For me, those last few days of waiting were always the worst. I hope you are feeling very pregnant.

I got up at 6 to get dh and dd on the road and then fell back asleep, almost missing my rehearsal this morning -- yikes! Now I am home alone and it is VERY VERY quiet. I'm really not sure what to do with myself.
#304 of 544 Old 12-08-2008, 05:23 AM

VM, looking forward to the update from your ultrasound.

Juneau, are you able to enjoy a little quiet time?

MNSunsine, Feb 2 will come soon enough. That's one of my best friend's birthday so a good day.

I went to the Dr on Friday for another heart monitor test. I had to wait about 2 hours for her to come since she had a delivery that became a c-section. That was a little annoying but what am I gonna do? The babies are doing great. I'm basically two weeks away from the 37 week due date. They're still pretty busy in there which is all good for me.

I had a yucky day today. DH and I went to dinner last night to celebrate our anniversary a week early (He's working next weekend when it really hits). Yummy dinner. I woke up about 2:30A, feeling totally off. I went downstairs finally because I couldn't sleep laying down and so I could sleep sitting up on the lounge. About 3AM, all of my dinner came up. I know it's not a baby thing but more of a rich dinner and no room in there for the food to go and digest. Anyway, vomiting at this stage, when the belly is huge and I can barely physically get up off the floor was quite thrill. After that, I kept waking up trying to get comfortable. I finally came upstairs around 7AM and crawled back into bed. And thankfully, DH was around and I literally slept until noon. Nice to actually sleep in but I was still off all day. Tentative about what to eat, etc. And it put me in a cranky mood. I hope DD doesn't remember today and my moodiness.

It's getting really hard to move around physically with the big belly. It's really uncomfortable to walk around which is hard when I need to go pick up a few things at the market or Target or wherever. I don't remember the end game being this hard with one. At least tomorrow, I have nothing on my plate other than taking DD to school and going to a meeting at 6PM at night. I'm hoping to spend the day laying on my bed, napping and trying to get my holiday cards going. Then off to the GD Dr on Tuesday. At least those numbers have been good.
#305 of 544 Old 12-08-2008, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Veganmama, I saw your post on the TTC thread -- congratulations!!!!! I am so happy for you I have tears in my eyes. :::

Hockeylover, oh, sweetie, what an awful night. I feel for you. . I am glad that you at least enjoyed the dinner on the way down...

I had a delicious meal at a friend's house the other day and had terrible gas that kept me up for hours. But I didn't throw up, thank goodness. Only a few more weeks; we can do this!

AFM, I spent the weekend singing, making cookie dough, sleeping as much as possible, and working on the 2nd draft of my article. Didn't get to: finish any Christmas-present craft projects, tie-dye more diapers, make more cookie dough, actually bake the cookies, write a Christmas letter, actually finish the article. Sigh. So many projects; so little time!

I called dd a few times but she was always "too busy" to talk to me. She did want to talk to "Fred," though!

Dh gives a final exam tomorrow, and then short of grading, writing papers, and a million other things he always has on his plate, he'll have a little more time to be around the house for the next few weeks.

I see the peri tomorrow! 35 weeks!
#306 of 544 Old 12-09-2008, 01:08 PM

Thanks Juneau, I was in such a rush to get back to work yesterday I didn't have time to come to this thread.

I had dinner with a former colleague who is due January 6th and has gained 40 lbs. She is a tiny Asian woman so for her that is a lot. She couldn't eat much and seemed pretty tired and miserable. This is her first though, i remmebr that it is so much harder when you already have a LO or two running around. I was very ready for my PG with DS to end.

But you are all getting very close!

My u/s yesterday was strange! They did it transabdominally which really suprised me since I was only 7w2d. I ahd always thought hey had to do it transvagainally at that point. Anyway, it was no problem, we saw the bean and the heartbeat flickering away right away. I had empited my bladder about half an hour before too. She said since I didn't have much fat it was easier to see. How much do I love her?

#307 of 544 Old 12-10-2008, 05:01 AM

VM, AWESOME report! That's how we named DD the first time, "Flicker". When my OB said "See that flicker? That's the heartbeat" and thus she was named Flicker until she was born. We didn't know the sex so Flicker was perfect. I was surprised too with my first US that confirmed twins. I was also around 6-7 weeks and they did it abdominally. I didn't think they could see anything either and lo and behold, there's everything. I'm so happy for you! Obviously everything is going nice and strong, as it should be. I'll have to go find your post on the TTC thread.

Juneau, I hear you on the projects and no time. I'm making my own Hanukkah cards again this year and I'm about 60% done. I bought more glitter today to use for the candle flames and once I do that, I can start adhering which I can do while watching TV. In other words, on my bed with my feet up. I still have to deal with teacher gifts and putting those together, whatever I'm going to do there... Still TBD. I'm really running out of time. Oy.

Went to see my GD doctor today. He's very happy with my numbers. It's my overnight (fasting) numbers that they've been most concerned with and for the last 3 weeks I've been well below 90 so that's all been good. Even the few meals where I've been over 120 (like Thanksgiving) are all specific to something that I ate (like cake or something overly sugary). So he was very happy that I'm controlling it with diet and now I'm definitely out of the woods in terms of needing any kind of medication.

He did the usual measurements. Baby A has a big head - lovely that I'll have to birth him/her. Baby B is a little smaller but they're both doing great. Plenty of fluid around each of them and again another confirmation that they're head down, which is pretty much the way it's going to be since they've been head down for a good 6+ weeks at this point. Baby A is weighing about 6lb. 4 oz and Baby B is weighing in at about 6lbs. So yeah, I'm carrying over 12 pounds of baby. No wonder I'm feeling so much pressure and weight pressure down there. And since I'm at 35+ weeks, he said he doubts my OB will have me go much past 38 weeks (I don't really want to be induced but that's a different topic) and he would want to see me in 3 weeks which would be 39 weeks. Send him a picture when they're born and good luck to me. So I pretty much graduated from this doctor so I'm down to one doctor. YAY!

Thought I'd share some belly pics that DD took of me tonight. Enjoy!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scrappinjuls/3096817167/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scrappinjuls/3096817067/

LMK if the links don't work. I always seem to have trouble with Flickr.
#308 of 544 Old 12-10-2008, 11:53 AM

I am totally impressed that your rings still fit! Great pics!

#309 of 544 Old 12-10-2008, 06:54 PM

Hi All -

I don't have much to say. Trying to not go stir crazy. It has been colder than normal and there has been a fair bit of snow that always takes some readjustement getting used to it. Work has been stessful for both my husband and myself. My daughter has had a cold. But all-in-all everything is going well and I am glad to be feeling as good as I do.

C-section is scheduled for 10 a.m. on Feb. 2nd. The doctor gave no real reason for bumping the date up except that I am measuring more true to my conception date than she'd expected. (Kind of annoying. I think sometimes Dr.'s don't realize that when you struggle with infertility dates get to having a real significance, kwim?) I went into labor with my daughter before my scheduled date before so I think the doctor just wants to make sure we have a nice window to prevent that.

VM - I laughed when you mentioned your friend who has gained 40 lbs. I'm also very petite and so my weight gain looks huge. Glad to know it looks just as silly on someone else my size.

HL - I have given up on doing all my Hannukah cards but I think it is great that you are doing yours! (I send valentines to everyone instead cuz' there seems to be more down time for me in Minnesota in January.) I hope you get some quiet time to get them done.

Ooooh. And I loved your pics! You look so healthy and happy. Awesome!

Juneau
- Too funny that you fell asleep in book group. Heck, I am even amazed you could GET yourself to book group.

Be well, Mamas.
#310 of 544 Old 12-10-2008, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Juls, totally AWESOME belly! You look great, too! I took some pictures over two weeks ago and still have to download them from my camera to the computer.

Congratulations keeping your sugars down and on being released from the GD doc! You're really in the homestretch, now! You'll be the first in this thread to make it to BABY -- how awesome is that?!

I finished the next draft of my assignment and now maybe I will have time to work on Christmas projects. Oh, what to do first, when there are so many things?

I saw the peri yesterday. He asked me if I wanted to schedule a C-section or wait until I go into labor. I was very confused because I distinctly remember him telling me after dd was born that I should never labor -- at least I think that's what he said. I didn't even really have time to react but brought up that we'd already scheduled a date. But now if going into labor is really an option I might have to rethink that. I go to his office again in two weeks but I don't see him again for three weeks, at which point I will be 38 weeks!!

MNSunshine, it sounds like you're in a similar boat. How far along will you be on Feb. 2? On the date I've scheduled I'll be 39w5d, which is the same g/a that my dd was when she was born (no labor that time; had to schedule a C-section pretty much at the last minute).

It has been annoyingly cold here, too, after a sultry beginning to November that had me thinking winter was far away. Then it slammed into us with a vengeance and we've had snow on the ground ever since, until it started raining yesterday. (Even worse than snow in winter, I think!). Blech.
#311 of 544 Old 12-11-2008, 02:17 AM

VM, oh don't let the rings fool you. My rings (fingers and toes) came off ages ago. The silver band is Silpada and the "diamond" is $30 straight from QVC. I was feeling jealous that all my friends could wear their diamonds so I invested in large, size 9 rings. All totally fake but they look good. My band watch is getting a little tight now and not as loose as normal but I can get it on and off.

MNS, yeah it's funny how with fertility issues how we know *exactly* when we conceived so we know exactly where we are week and day wise. I know all my dates and the Boo-Boo's are still measuring a little ahead. Go figure. At least you have a target date and time.

Yeah, gotta finish up on the Hanukkah cards. I hope to get that done tomorrow. The putting the pieces together are a good TV watching project. I'm a scrapbooker so I've been into making my Hanukkah cards the past few years but I make about 30 or so and send them to the people who appreciate the work. Everyone else gets the standard Costco photo Happy Holidays card. LOL.

Juneau, did you remind the peri of what he told you last time? Ask him in two weeks and go with the flow. And do whatever you feel is right for mama and baby. But make sure you get it straightened out before you hit that 38 week mark. I don't need to tell you that. Just reinforcing what you already know. Don't let him off the hook without answering ALL your questions.

I won't complain about the weather. It was in the 70's here. Sorry to rub it in.
#312 of 544 Old 12-11-2008, 11:56 AM

MNSunshine, I gained 47 lbs with my DS and I am not that big either. I always feel big or at least average because I am 5'7".

But I guess I am petite in that I wear small or extra small. I am small boned.

Anyway, after I had DS a lot of people commented on how I had been "a great big PG lady"!!!!!!

#313 of 544 Old 12-11-2008, 04:34 PM

VM - I originally missed the news of your u/s. So glad everything looked good!!!

I laughed out loud when I read I read that people were calling you the big pregnant lady. I'm not quite 5 feet tall so I keep thinking that if were to be say ... 5'7" that I would be a lithe and slender pregnant woman. Maybe not though.

Juneau - I will be 39 weeks for the scheduled C. I was basically scheduled at just past 39 weeks last time and I did go into labor with my daughter. The funny coincidence this time is that it is scheduled for a Monday morning just like it was with my daughter. How bizarre would that to be go into labor on the Saturday before just like last time?

Tonight is my daughter's pre-school Hanukkah concert. All the kids are so cute. I can't believe how time has flown. Seems like yesterday since we went to go see her singing "I'm a little Latke". Sometimes these big school events would really bum me out. Especially after we'd made the decision to stop ttc and it seemed like everywhere we went there were pregnant women. Now, I am conscious that there will be women there who will be in my same shoes and I can't help but feel a little stab of empathy.

I have come to the conclusion that I need to buy some pants. Well, and maybe some leggings, too. (I have some skirt but brrrrrr it's been too cold to want to wear them). MY body is just different this time and I cannot wear the under-the-belly band comfortably. So, the only pants I am wearing are my regular sized yoga pants and an old pair of sweats. Okay for bopping around but not so great for work.

My husband and I have a date on Saturday night. Yes, we even got a babysitter. That's a rare occurance. Usually my daughter stays with family or one close family friends but she is nearly 5 and I can count how many times we've been out together probably on both hands. I've been trying to make that a priority before the new arrival.
#314 of 544 Old 12-11-2008, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

MN, funny that you mention going into labor the Saturday before your C-section. My dd was born on the full moon, although without labor. And dh and I were married on a full moon day. The Saturday before my scheduled C-section just happens to be a full moon so I am kind of halfway convinced that I will go into labor then. I would be 39w 3d so it's quite possible.

As far as getting my questions answered, my doctor answered the question to my satisfaction about what happens if I go into labor before my scheduled date. He said just to call him day or night and we'll meet at the hospital. He said he wouldn't worry unless I waited until I was like 8 cm or so before showing up.

But the question that intrigues me is the possibility of not scheduling anything for the 12th and possibly letting things go a little longer if that's what the babe seems inclined to do. I can wait till 38 weeks to discuss that.

I am 5'4" and don't think of myself as petite. I am large although not cushy so I tend to wear size large clothes. My belly is so big and broad though -- it doesn't look at all like the "I swallowed a basketball" bellies some women seem to carry. And when I am sitting down people still can be oblivious to the fact that I am almost 9 months pregnant!

Hmm... a date, what a thought...! And 70s weather... a distant memory... A trip to San Diego (where I used to live) would be so great right about now. Oh well!
#315 of 544 Old 12-11-2008, 08:49 PM

MNSunshine, I am soooo not interested in food right now. Thinking about it kind of makes me sick.
But then you mentioned latkes. I think I would kill for a latke right now.

Does anyone have a recipe??

I was tiny with DD (22 lbs) and huge with DS (47 lbs). They weighed 6lb9oz and 9lb5oz respectively.

I am kind of worried this one is going to weigh 12 lbs.

#316 of 544 Old 12-12-2008, 12:33 PM

Has anyone heard from Vicki or Erika?? I see neither one of them have posted in over a month.

#317 of 544 Old 12-12-2008, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Not a peep.
#318 of 544 Old 12-14-2008, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

OK, OK, so I'm finally starting to get the annoying comments. Funny thing is, I'm getting both ends of the spectrum:

From the nurse at the pediatrician's office, who looked confused when I started talking about dd's impending little brother or sister. "Are you pregnant? I never would have guessed!" Granted, I was sitting down, but still!

And then tonight, from a teeny tiny 7 months pregnant Chinese woman with a belly the size of a jelly bean: "Is there really only one in there?!" : (I wanted to reply, but of course bit my tongue, "Are you sure you've got a baby in there?!")

Sigh. I feel and move like an elephant now. Dh and I went to shop for a new (king) bed today and I realized I'd waited too long. It's just too darn difficult to get in and out of bed, let alone do it two dozen times in a row. :

I guess I've officially hit the 3rd trimester blues. That being said, I'm not really ready for this pregnancy to end. I like feeling Fred move inside me, and I know I will never be pregnant again, so it's bittersweet. I think it's going to go too fast, these last few weeks, what with trying to get ready for the holidays and a baby at the same time.

Wishing I could be in So Cal right now; it's ::: here. Though I don't miss the Santa Anas in the winter one tiny smidgen!
#319 of 544 Old 12-14-2008, 03:45 AM

All of you are more than welcome to come visit and stay with me here in So. Cal. You know I've got all the stuff for babies so you're good to go. They are predicting rain over the next few days though, FYI.

Oh Juneau, I'm totally with you on the "I'm done" factor. I had a bad night's sleep on Thursday waking up like every 45 minutes. I was really tired the next day. When I got to my doctor's, she's said to me "You've hit your twin wall haven't you?". You betcha baby. Between the swelling from the knees down, which my calves are totally solid and sometimes hurt to the touch, and the weight of my belly, I'm done. Hey, I'm not complaining about back pain which is a shock. The pressure of two babies heads down there is really fun sometimes. In spite of the discomfort, I totally agree with you Juneau that I don't really want it to end either. I've really enjoyed both of my pregnancies in spite of the fact that this one has been much tougher just in the last 2-3 weeks. I'm moving really slow especially when I'm getting out of bed or into the car. I've got to hang in there for one more week ('til after the 21st) and believe me, I'm counting down. I don't want to induce or anything like that, but I just want to be able to breathe a sigh of relief that DH will actually be there with me and not stuck at his hellish shoot. Haven't actually spoken with him yet today, other than a few texts, and he left the house at 7AM.

Everything is fine according to my OB on Friday. Heartbeats are great. They're still busy in there and have plenty of fluid around them. My cervix is softer but no dilating yet. All she would "promise" me was that I wouldn't deliver before next Tuesday's appointment. Gotta run with that. One appointment at a time.

DD's Hanukkah celebration is Thursday morning. I'm looking forward to that since the kindergarten and pre-K kids are so darn cute. Sorry I can't help with latke recipes. Generally, I buy the frozen ones at Trader Joe's. LOL.
#320 of 544 Old 12-15-2008, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Only one more week till you're good to go, Juls, that's exciting!!

My dd was in a Christmas pageant this morning and has another one on Wed. evening. It's so fun that she's getting to the age where she can do it and enjoys being part of a performance. Dh and I are playing Mary and Joseph on Wed., too funny! (Except it's the postpartum part of the Christmas story, oh well!)

I slept really terribly last night -- reflux at night and asthma in the morning. Back pain is starting to make itself known, too. Oh well, pregnancy is still fun, paradoxically.

It's a lot more fun than the first trimester, at any rate. Baby movement makes up for a lot of discomfort! I feel for you VM. I remember how incredibly yummy potatoes seemed, and almost nothing else. I had a lot of instant mashed potatoes around the house because sometimes I needed something RIGHT NOW and that was the only thing that sounded palatable. (Sorry to be talking about food but I hope reading about m.pots. won't turn your stomach...)

All that being said, I spend a lot of time (too much time, really) lurking on the PAL and birth loss forums. I am absolutely terrified of a late-term loss and it scares me how often it seems to happen completely out of the blue and for no particular reason to mamas who have had otherwise completely healthy pregnancies. I know I think about it TOO much but I am almost convinced that I can't get through this pregnancy without something dramatic happening between now and the end. But I only have four weeks to go; maybe I can keep breathing till then.
#321 of 544 Old 12-15-2008, 02:53 PM

Juneau, I have seen you posting on the loss boards, particularly on the stillbirth announcement threads.
You and your babe are going to be fine.
But who am I to say anything, clearly I've been over there too or I wouldn't have seen you.

I feel for you guys. I remember the last month or so of DS's pregnancy. Oh my goodness I was so ready to be done!

I had wicked alldaysickness all weekend. Finally took some meds last night and feel marginally better today. Saturday the only thing I ate after 11 am was a piece of toast with peanut butter. Ugh.

Hang in there chicas, you are almost done!

#322 of 544 Old 12-16-2008, 01:46 AM

Juneau, you're going to be fine. I think there's always a part that's on pins and needles until that baby actually appears but it's all going right as it should.

I'm so uncomfortable today. I think I lost my mucous plug which could mean I'm in the home stretch. I don't remember if that happened last time (I don't think it did) which is why I'm in the "I think" mode. I see my doctor tomorrow so I know she'll tell me. Now, I'm just terrified that things are going to progress before DH is available. He can do Wednesday or Saturday, LOL, if that works within the Boo-Boo's schedule. Even before the plug thing, I was feeling really crampy today. It hurts to stand and I'm not walking too far or moving too fast. I'm pretty much done. I'll update tomorrow.
#323 of 544 Old 12-16-2008, 11:07 AM

oooh Juls, so exciting!

#324 of 544 Old 12-16-2008, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Juls, wow!!! Tell those babies to stay put till tomorrow! Keep us updated, if you can!

Both of you, it really helps to hear you say (or see you write) that things really are going to be fine. I haven't shared my fears with anyone outside of MDC because I feel a little ridiculous about my obsession. Please tell me again and again (you can't say it enough!).

Vegan, I'm sorry you're feeling so crappy but at the same time I'm thrilled you're feeling this way! (Oh, the paradoxes of pregnancy...) The only thing that got me through that time was Zofran, but it has its own issues, too. Try to keep eating, even if it's only toast and peanut butter every few hours.

I ate a lot of scrambled eggs for breakfast but I couldn't cook them myself and they had to be cooked "just so" without pepper and yada yada yada. I'm sure I drove dh and my mom crazy, but when you can't stand to look at food, yet it's even worse when you don't eat, every little thing matters.

I'm keeping on keeping on here. Dh is done with classes, done with giving exams (though not with grading), but he has a gazillion other things to do before baby comes. I'm starting to regret a little (tiny bit) not going anywhere for the holidays, even if just because it would mean dh couldn't work as much as he'd like to otherwise and even if he did, I would have someone else to keep me company...

Instead, dd has no preschool for two weeks and all our babysitters are college students, so guess who gets to do full-time child care if dh insists on working that whole time? : It would be so great to have a couple of weeks to chill as a threesome before Fred arrives, but guess that ain't gonna happen.
#325 of 544 Old 12-18-2008, 03:42 PM

That is the difficulty of the subsequent pregnancies no doubt! When you want to chill late in PG, there are other children who need your attention.

I fondly remember the naps from my first pregnancy!

I think you need to make puppy dog eyes at DH and tell him you NEED some rest before the bambino arrives.

#326 of 544 Old 12-18-2008, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Juls???

I am starting to really slow down. Pubic bone hurts and that just makes moving around sooooo hard. I had to mail packages today and it just about killed me. On the bright side, I have presents for everyone but my parents (woo hoo!) and I may just wait till they come here for Fred's birth to give it to them, so I won't stress out about mailing it on time.

And tomorrow I am getting a pedicure while dd is in school -- : Oh, the soak in hot water and massage of swollen ankles, I can hardly wait! (I just can't reach my toes any more, too bad, so sad, have to get someone else to do it...)

Veganmama, how are you getting on with m/s and working? What kind of time off do you get for the holidays?
#327 of 544 Old 12-19-2008, 01:38 AM

Oh, I'm still here. Juneau, I'm totally with you on the slowing down. I have to say, everyday people say how amazed they are at my energy and that I"m still up and about. Hey, if my doctor doesn't tie me down to bed rest, I'm going to to what I can but oy, I can barely move. I was feeling much better physically yesterday, not crampy or feeling all that pubic pressure etc, and then we went to dinner and for the one hour sitting on the chair, it nearly did me in. I could barely move the rest of the night. My entire bottom hurt so it wasn't a contraction thing, just plain, awful discomfort. When I finally laid down in bed, it was a huge ordeal. I tried to sit up at one point to roll over, got a huge muscle pain in my leg, made a loud noise which scared DH but I was kind of stuck in this half up-half down position. LOL. Ultimately, he helped get me up and I went downstairs to sleep on the couch where I could mostly be upright. We'll see how I do tonight. But I'm beyond the beached whale scenario at this point.

Update from Tuesday's OB appointment. Babies are doing fine, did the heartbeat monitor and there's plenty of movement, fluid, etc. That's all good. My OB spoke with the GD/peri and they agreed that I should go see the peri again on Monday at which point they'll test the babies lungs and see if they're mature. (I start 37 weeks tomorrow) If they think it's all good, then I might go in Monday night or Tuesday morning to induce. My heart nearly sank. I don't want to induce so I asked my OB "Why would we need to induce?" I understand that they don't want me going much past 38 weeks but then she said something about my history of miscarriage. What does my history of miscarriage have to do with me being in my 9th month of pregnancy? I didn't quite get a clear answer on that. I know there has to be 2 doctors in the delivery room and she's more comfortable with her partner than #3 on the doctor depth chart and with the holidays, bla bla bla. I just wasn't happy and I couldn't quite articulate why.

I spoke with one of my best friends when I got back in the car. She's a Lamaze instructor and my backup if I were to go into labor while DH is working. I figure, a Lamaze instructor would be a good helpful choice in the delivery room. Anyway, she's also can be a little organic for me but still I knew she'd get it. There's something called a Bishop's Scale which I hadn't heard of before. For an induction to succeed, you have to have a score of 7 or higher which takes into account things from head down (we got that far), to dilation to effacement to cervix softening, etc. She had a failed induction with her 3rd and refused a c-section. So that's what set me off and what I have to talk to the doctor about tomorrow. While I don't want to induce, if I'm going to (healthy mom, healthy babes is the real mantra here), I need to know that the induction is going to work. I don't want to hear after X amount of hours that I'm not far enough along so we'll just have to do a C. I will walk out of the hospital and come back in two days if that happens. I'm really sorry that it's a holiday week and people may be going on vacation but that's not my problem. Unless there's a legitimate medical reason for me to have a C, like I've been pushing for enough hours with no result (that almost happened with DD but then she was vacuumed out), these babies have been head down for 7-8 weeks. We're doing this vaginally. I've been a VERY easy patient. I've done everything I've been told and schlepped all over this city to doctor's appointments at the whim of everyone. I'm not giving in on this unless someone can explain that it's medically necessary to save any of our lives. (yes, I'm being dramatic) But because her partner is going out of town for Christmas on Wednesday is not incentive for me to get this "going" for his convenience. Sorry.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. But I was really depressed and worked up on Tuesday when all this went down. I knew I wasn't comfortable with "we'll induce on Monday or Tuesday" just as a matter of course. When my friend explained the induction thing, that's when I realized that NOT having a C was just as important. So I have to articulate that clearly and see what happens. At this point, with the complete discomfort, I'm getting more ok with the induction idea but ONLY if there's been physical progress in my body that ensures its success. Otherwise, I'm ok to wait a few more days.

Sorry for the long winded rant. But I know you ladies will understand better than anyone.

Juneau, enjoy your pedicure tomorrow. I had one last week and even with the swollen everything, it felt great. And I have pretty toes for the hospital. I definitely can't touch my toes. I can barely bend over to pull on my shoes.

I'll give you the update tomorrow - for real - I promise. I'm off to go finish up teacher gifts. Another thing off the list. Maybe I should also finish packing my hospital bag. LOL. At least the clothes and toothbrush are accounted for...
#328 of 544 Old 12-19-2008, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Juls,
I'm so glad to hear from you. When we go a couple of days without a word this late in the game, I get antsy!

LOL on being stuck in bed half up and half down! I had a bad leg cramp a few weeks ago that made me scream; dh thought I was in labor! I am sleeping in my own bed, with the head elevated and tons of pillows. I'm getting spoiled; that's all going to end soon.

Oh boy, that induction talk is something, isn't it? I am totally with you. It might be reasonable to induce due to GD (though I'm sure you'd get quite a mixture of opinions on that on MDC) but solely for convenience of scheduling -- that's out in my book.

I was almost scared into an induction with dd by one OB (who really only wanted to induce so I could experience the pain of labor, but was planning on doing a C-section at the end of the day anyway). My midwife told me, "You don't have to show up for your own induction." So I didn't. The hospital called a few hours after I was supposed to show up wondering where I was!

Where I was instead was getting a second opinion from a perinatologist. In the end, he said he wouldn't even induce, but would go straight to a C-section. He heard all our objections and managed to make it sound reasonable anyway, and in the end, I grudgingly agreed with him. Five days later, dd was born by section, and I also gave birth to a giant fibroid.

Anyhow, inductions have a high rate of C-section for a whole lot of reasons (for a good list, see Ina May Gaskin's book on birth -- in fact, if you haven't read it, run to the library and read it this weekend before you have your next talk with the doc).

I wish you all the best of luck talking to the doctor next week. (And Happy Hannukah, too!) Actually, I hope you go into labor on your own Monday or Tuesday -- wouldn't that be nice timing? (Do the docs need to check lung maturity only because they want to induce??)

My doc (same one who delivered dd and the fibroid) has said he'll meet me at the hospital day or night anytime during my expected window, except for one half day when he'll have someone covering for him. He is awesome. The flip side of this is that sometimes I'm stuck waiting for him in his office because he's out delivering someone's baby, but hey, I'll take it.

I had my pedicure this morning but dh was kind of boneheaded (long story) and made it difficult for me -- I had to rush there and rush home and as a consequence, I think the polish adhered to the inside of my socks. Oh well, the polish really wasn't the point, anyway. I'll book another appointment to go in just before dc's expected birth date and give myself one last treat.
#329 of 544 Old 12-20-2008, 01:58 AM

Well, I was all worked up in anticipation of talking to my doctor. When I saw her this morning, I told her how upset I was at the concept of induction. She thought that we had talked about it, which I'm sure we didn't. I know DH hasn't made the last few appointments but he's made the majority and it wasn't discussed. But anyway, what I told her is that I know certain criteria have to be in place for the induction to even work and I absolutely did NOT want a c-section. She practically finished my sentence. I think she gets it and even if she doesn't, if the induction doesn't work, we'll go away for a few days. She says she totally agrees and sees no reason to have a c-section, other than after hours of laboring with no results. And even then, she doesn't think that'll happen either. I delivered vaginally with DD (although we were close to having a C), my body has done it and these babies are smaller so there should be no issues whatsoever.

So I'll go see the GD/peri on Monday. He'll evaluate the size of the babies and do another internal exam. Oh, I was 1-2 cm dilated today, 80% effaced but -2 which means they're still pretty far up there. They need to drop some more. She said to make sure we call when we're there so we can all have the conversation together. Only if things are good to go, will we then test for the lungs maturity to potentially go in on Monday night to start induction. If not, then we'll wait a few days. She's (my OB) is going out of town or MIA for the holidays from the 24th-28th which is probably why she's pushing to do it on the 23rd. Ah, it all makes sense now. While I would be horribly disappointed for her not to deliver after all we've been through, I know her partner (from my first pregnancy) and I have full confidence in him. I'm not worried about that other than it might take DH to be a little more verbal since the partner doesn't know us so well.

So we'll see where we're at on Monday. I'm not going to push anything that's not ready to be pushed, no pun intended. I don't think I officially have GD although it all started as a borderline thing to begin with. My numbers have all been well below where they want it to be so I'm considering myself as not having it.

I think they want to check the lungs because I'm now 37 weeks and the don't want me going past 38. Miscarriage, getting big, and something else she mentioned that escapes my preggo brain at the moment. With some of my discomfort, there's a part of me that's ok with induction but **ONLY** if it's going to work. I'm adamant about that. When I did go into labor with DD and got to the hospital I was 4cm dilated. They checked me in and about 2 hours later, back labor hit and I had an epidural. I was still willing to muddle through the contractions but the back labor was unbearable. Anyway, that slowed and/or stopped the progression (as an epidural is known to do) so at some point, she broke my water and a few hours later they did give me pitocin to get things moving. So the induction doesn't scare me, it's the potential of it not working that scares me. We'll see where we're at on Monday.

My friend suggested that I get on all fours (if my brutally swollen knees can handle it) and do some pelvic tilts. My babies heads are right next to each other with neither one in the lead. She said that the tilts might help one of them move to the more downward position which would put more pressure on my cervix and help it open up. Right now, 'cause they're essentially ear to ear, neither is putting that direct head pressure which helps move things along, thus the -2 position. Hey, worth a try if my knees can handle it.

Sorry your pedi got a little shmushed up. Hate that but when you're in cold weather, I guess flip flops aren't so practical when leaving the nail place. Happy Hanukkah as well. DD and I decorated tonight. Maybe I should wrap some present tomorrow. LOL.
#330 of 544 Old 12-20-2008, 02:40 PM

Juls,

Just another hang in there message! 37 weeks was the make or break week for me. I knew I was having a c/s because the boys were transverse, but I began the week pledging to make it past 38 weeks. Period. They wanted to section me that week, I wasn't ready. I refused to set a date. At 37 1/2 weeks I was ready. Oh the difference 3 days made in how I felt. The babes were born at 38 weeks to the day. Hurrah for you not letting them just push you into something you aren't ready to do yet. Take this next week or 2 one day at a time. I don't think any moment in my life has been physically harder than any given minute those last 2 weeks of pregnancy with the twins. You have already carried your precious little ones longer than most, and everyday day you keep going is a gift to them. Best of luck with your birth!!

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page