In our 40s and due in January - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-20-2009, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had issues with my cloth dipes at first too becasue DD was so small (6lb 9 oz). I ended up putting her in 7th Generation sposies until she was 8 lbs becasue she leaked sooooo much. Once she was at 8 lbs, she was good in cloth.

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2009, 04:51 PM

refuse to use disposables

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
Old 01-20-2009, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

In principle I refuse 'sposies. In practice, however... Sigh. Her teeny tiny butt fits best in preemie 'sposies and I hurt too much to have patience to fold cloth right. Dh is using non-prefold cloth but we only have one cover tiny enough to fit! I think all her weight is in her head, 'cause it's certainly not in her butt.

I will use cloth when the prefolds and newborn covers fit, and at three months or so, will start EC. Dd1 pooped consistently in the potty from before she could crawl (at about 8 months)! That's my goal this time around, too, except I am determined to work harder on pees. (Dd1 STILL at almost age 4 has wet panties every day and it is SO vexing....)
Old 01-22-2009, 12:26 PM

I hate sposies too but I just couldn't handle all the leaking with absolutely no sleep.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:03 AM

i didn't mean to sound critical, sorry. i guess i'm just a stubborn mule about some things. Zoe weighe 8# on monday- day 11. The diapers definitely fit better this week. Still not perfect, but we're getting back into the groove! the funniest part is DD1's (9yo) obsession with changing them! She is always wanting to check it. and every single noise prompts her to check, too! she is so proud of being able to change them all by herself, too. (more or less) I guess she needs to learn how to wash diapers now.

we're planning to do EC this time, too. DD1 was in diapers til 4yo - and wet the bed til 6yo. DD2 woke up dry every day starting sometime really early, and she was mostly using the toilet on her own at 16 months. I always figured we deserved her early-readyness, and we were very grateful. Now, we just hope that we get lucky again! I figure since I'm not working outside the home anymore, I can handle EC "for real".

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
Old 01-23-2009, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

My dd1 (almost 4) is very attentive to the baby, too. She runs into the room, saying, "Mommy, mommy, come quickly! 'Fred' is hungry!" Or, "Papi, you have to come right now! 'Fred' needs a diaper change!" She watches every diaper change but hasn't taken part yet. She looks ecstatic, though, when she holds the baby (whom she still insists on calling "Fred" )

I will be happy when we can get into the cloth diaper stash. We've got three dozen small prefolds and a similar number of beautifully tie-dyed regular size ones. My mom bought a dozen new covers but none are tiny, even though half are labeled "newborn." I had given away all my infant covers after dd1 grew out of them and now I regret it!

My incision is infected, blast it. It hurts more and looks gross and I'm really bummed about it. The part that's not infected is healed nicely and not hurting and I would really LOVE to be off pain meds. But instead I am back on the darvocet, alternating with motrin.

On the up side, dd2 is an incredibly easy baby. She is nursing at night once after three hours and again after another four-hour chunk, so I'm actually getting a reasonable amount of sleep.

Juls, how are you?? Veganmama, how's your nausea and fatigue?
Old 01-23-2009, 03:15 PM

Wow Juneau, that's a reasonable amount of sleep. Good for you! Mine were both atrocious sleepers.

I am sorry about your incision, that sucks. I hear that's pretty common but I am sure it is no fun!

My nausea is fine if I take my meds. Still pretty exhausted at 14 weeks. Thanks for asking!

Old 01-23-2009, 03:34 PM

Juneau - how did you know you had an infection, other than the obvious way it probably looks. I don't hurt nearly as much anymore, but I am always convinced something is wrong because the pain is so incomprehensible to me. I'm not worried because my MW has been checking on me, but I'm sorry that you're having that trouble.

I can't look at myself, still. I feel sort of bad about the example I'm setting for my dd because she asked me, and I just said I can't look at the scar.

I have a follow-up with the doctor today. I haven't been out of the house since I got home from the hospital. Not looking forward to it. The whole family has to go, too. Have I said lately how much I love my husband?

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
Old 01-24-2009, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

My mom is a nurse and I asked her to look at my incision. She said it looked pussy, and to call the doctor. I called and they told me to come in right away. The nurse there agreed with my mom, cultured the pus, and started me on an antibiotic. When the culture comes back, they'll know if I can stay on the current drug or have to switch.

Janis, yes, it is quite an adventure to make it to the doctor, isn't it? At least my folks are still here and could take care of dd1 while dh and I and dd2 headed out. And dd2 was great on the journey. It's about a half-hour drive, and she slept through getting put in her car seat, the whole drive there, the whole visit at the doctor, and just started to wake up when we went to lunch. After lunch, she slept again the whole way back and for an hour or so after we got home. Easy baby!!

It's hard for me to look at my incision now because it really looks so gross. I'm so glad my mom is a nurse! Today she was cleaning out the yucky part when dd1 came running to tell me that "Fred" needed milk. I didn't want her to see my gross-looking belly so we tried subterfuge to keep her out of the room. She retreated to her room and started crying. I felt so bad -- she was just trying to help out her baby sister and her timing was just bad.

In regard to my scar, I did a lot of talking to dd1 about how and where she came out of my body, and where "Fred" was going to come out. I let her look at the incision at every stage -- except for now, I don't want to scare her! I'm sorry, Janis, that you're having such a hard time with yours right now.

Veganmama, I hope your nausea subsides soon. I started feeling better at 13 weeks and almost completely so by 15 weeks. You're almost there -- I hope the same holds for you.

I miss being pregnant. I miss feeling great. I don't miss heartburn. I love nursing. I am so emotional right now it's crazy.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:12 AM

Finally time to catch up while I have two babies nursing.

Janis, I'm sorry for all that you're going through. Yeah, I know you know it's all about happy, healthy baby and you've certainly got that but even though were you so opposed to having a C, what you went through was above and beyond all expectations. There's nothing I can say obviously other than I hope it all gets better for you and you can move on from this eventually. I'm thinking of you.

Juneau, I hope your infection is clearing up as well. What an annoying side effect. I know you're moving slow enough as it is so to add this on top has got to be awful. Sounds like everything is going well though and that's wonderful.

Veganmama, glad you're on the upswing as well. I'm sure the exhaustion will be over any minute and you'll really be able to enjoy being pregnant again.

As for me, I'm doing well although tired. DH was out of town a week ago and is out of town again until Feb 3. I have help most nights, but this isn't one of them. The girls are doing a great job of tag teaming. When one is up and screaming the other is quiet. When one starts to calm down, the other ramps up. Thursday night we were up until close to 5AM. THankfully, DH was here but we both got less than 2 hours sleep. Last night I was on my own and they tag teamed until about 2AM and then I had to hold Maya just to get any sleep. I was so over exhausted at that point that I was nauseous. It'll be a long 10 more days.

They're nursing well but I'm still not sure how much they're getting or if they're gaining enough weight. I want to stop doing formula the one bottle a day but not sure I can do that yet. I have a call into my LC to talk to her and see what I can do to try and increase my supply. I've had to feed every 2-3 hours (still) so I haven't been able to pump lately. There's so little time between feeds that there's no time for more milk to come in. I'll figure it out I'm sure. I've been taking fenugreek and drinking the mother's milk tea although drinking the tea as much as I should. And the occasional beer tastes good at least.

The girls turned one month old yesterday. Can't believe that it's been a month already. Holy cow. I'm still losing weight which is a plus. I'm at or slightly below my pre-pregnancy weight which means I've lost over 50 pounds. It took me a year to lost the 41 I gained with DD#1. I guess nursing double and not having time to eat helps in the weight loss cause.

I too miss being pregnant although that last week was super uncomfortable for me. I don't miss the heartburn at all. I miss feeling all the movement in my belly. That's still the most amazing feeling in the world. I'm not feeling too emotional other than when the exhaustion sets in. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed because I'm getting nothing done. I have a ton of thank you notes to write and I have a project for DD's school (the yearbook) that I haven't had time to start. I don't have one uninterrupted hour to get any of those things done. Like now, I finished nursing and one is back to being awake. It's after midnight. Go to sleep child. Oy.

Okay, off to try and get Hayden to chill before it's time to feed again...
Old 01-25-2009, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Oh Juls, how exhausting! I feel for you, mama. I'm sorry that they're not in synch with each other and even sorrier for you that dh is gone for so long! I don't know how you do it (though it sounds like you're struggling a lot). I can't give you any advice, just a virtual hug.

The best way to get your milk supply up is to nurse, nurse, nurse. Which it sounds like you're doing. Way to go on losing weight -- I've lost all but the last six pounds (scratch that -- 2 1/2 lbs!) and I'm not even two weeks out.

I hate to say this, but Eliza Jane is making things REALLY easy for me. She is a mellow baby, hardly ever fusses, and sleeps long stretches at night. I have been taking a late afternoon nap, and then staying up until 11 or so. She nurses to sleep then, goes for a three-hour stretch, nurses once during the night, sleeps four more hours, and then we are up for the day. So I only get interrupted once -- amazing! And although at first she wanted to be awake some during the night, now she is just going back to sleep. I am so thankful.

She seems to be getting plenty of milk; when the pediatrician weighed her on Wed. she was over 7 lbs, and had gained 11 oz in just five days. Dd1 is tandem nursing (not at the same time, yet) two or three times a day. My breasts are HUGE -- as I imagine yours are, too! If you can get a weight on your girls, it'll probably go a long way toward reassuring you that they are getting enough milk. I hope you don't worry too much about pumping for now -- you've got enough to do already!

My infection sucks. It is so painful. And the part that healed normally is pain-free now. It's only about a three-inch section that is infected but it seems like it's going to take a LONG time to heal. Blech.

On the up side, my neighbor dropped off her newborn diaper stash -- a ton of teeny prefolds and a LOT of tiny fitteds; at least a dozen covers and half of those are the tiny Prowraps that are the only ones that fit now. I am so happy! So long, 'sposies!
Old 01-25-2009, 03:58 PM

juls - I've been using an herbal concoction from Mother Love: http://www.motherlove.com/

It's expensive, but I can really see a difference. I have been using the tincture that I mix with water 2-3 times a day (or as I remember). I used fenugreek with previous babes, but this seems to work better. I don't have a supply issue, but for some reason, i just feel better about it when i can 'feel' milk.

If you're not eating enough, that will definitely affect your milk supply. and drink lots and lots of water and take prenatal vitamins. If your babes have lots of wet diapers, then you're making plenty of milk - it's just harder because you're nursing 2 who are on different schedules.

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
Old 01-26-2009, 04:16 PM

Tee hee, I love that you both miss being PG. I do know what you mean though, even thoug it is hard, it is neat knowing there is a new life inside of you.

Right now I am just so tired and nauseous all the time. The fatigue lasted the entire PG with DS (Of course I did have a toddler at home too) and the nausea lasted until 20 weeks with DD.

Work is very stressful and tiring right now too AND we are on Day 48 of a transit strike. Everyone in the city is tired from that and everyone in my business is tired from how terrible the market has been since June.

I am glad that you are all doing well. Isn't it funny that you all had girls? I wonder whether I will too.

I am not looking forward to the sleep deprivation.

I do wonder how Vicki and Erika are doing, I wish they'd check in.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Veganmama, sorry to hear about the transit strike on top of everything else. How are you getting around?

I hope your nausea and fatigue don't last as long as with your other pregnancies. Are you going to find out the sex at your anatomy scan, or wait? I'm so glad I waited. During the first trimester, I was sure dd2 was a girl, but still entertained the possibility of being completely surprised. I'm glad I did.

My incision is healing faster than I thought. It's not as painful today and seems to have knit some new skin over the open part. I was planning our first outing for tomorrow -- other than going to the doctor -- but now it looks like we're due for over a foot of snow (on top of the snow and ice we already have). I love snow, but I was REALLY looking forward to getting OUT. Sigh.

I've now officially lost all of the weight I gained during the pregnancy.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:50 PM

Wow Juneau, you've lost all the baby weight already?
I am glad to hear your incision is healing well now!

DH is driving me to work and I am either running home (takes 35 minutes), getting a ride with a colleague, or taking a cab early enough to miss traffic and working the rest of the afternoon at a bank branch near my house. Today is a big snowstorm though so I am getting a ride home with a colleague. I ran last night.

I think we probably will find out the gender. I have some gender neutral clothes but it's mostly boy and girl stuff. I wouldn't mind having all that ready beforehand since I'll have 3 kids (argh!). Buit the real reason is that DH can't wait.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:27 PM

Juneau - wow! It took at least 9 months with my previous pregnancies. I don't expect anything faster this time. But when I weighed myself on Friday at the doctor, I had only lost 15 pounds. What the hell? My belly is flabby in a very odd way - from the incision, I guess. I still can't look at me in the mirror, though.

Zoe weighs 9#5oz now!!! I'm clearly making good milk

Veganmama - we had no desire to find out the sex - we're just weird that way!

Have fun in the snow, y'all! It's in the 50's here. : Brrrrr. My kids are in footed fleece pajamas - I'm snuggled under the covers in bed - nobody wants to get dressed. Our house is so cold! I've lived in northern Wisconsin, I don't mind "this" cold one bit.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
Old 01-28-2009, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

at the idea of freezing when it's 50 degrees out...!

It's probably 20 degrees F here, snow falling fast. I don't know how much is down but at least a foot on top of the foot that was already on the ground. Dd1 has gone out to play. I am trapped inside. I would LOVE to go out but I don't dare because there is solid ice underneath that gorgeous white stuff. It would really hurt if I fell now. (My incision is healing but still VERY tender...)

Today is my mom's birthday so dd1 and I are making cupcakes.

I only gained 20 lbs with dd1 and it came off very quickly. I lost another 25 lbs by one year out, although I had gained all of that back by the time I was pregnant this time -- I weighed exactly the same as before dd1. This time I gained 25 lbs and expected it to come off easily but not that fast!

I don't know how much dd2 weighs now but she is noticeably heavier and has cheeks now! And a double chin!

Veganmama, I can't believe you are running!
Old 01-28-2009, 06:40 PM

I have run for years so it's no big deal. I ran until 7.5 months DD (then had sciatica) and 8 months with DS (got too fat) and switched to swimming (I used to compete). Worked out with both up to and including the Friday and went into labour on the weekend.

I have you both beat for winter weather. I live about 4 hours northeast of Toronto. And it's snowing like crazy today. And we are on day 49 of the transit strike! tee hee.

I don't have a newborn or an incision however!

I might be imagining it but I think everyone at work was staring at my belly today. Methinks the gig is almost up!

Old 01-29-2009, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Oy, Veganmama, my belly hurts just thinking of running while 8 months pregnant! (Not to mention my knees and hips!)

I am (was) a long-distance open-water swimmer. Well, before I had kids, anyway. One of these days, I'll get back to it. My heroes and heroines are the master's swimmers in their 80s and 90s who are still competing.

I can make it to Toronto in about five hours by zig-zagging around two Great Lakes. My last great pre-kid vacation was a long weekend in Toronto just over four years ago now; maybe we'll make it back there one of these days.

I am tired of being an invalid. All I did today was make cupcakes and I could tell I was on my feet too long. I guess it's a good thing our outing was canceled due to the weather. I guess I'm not ready yet.

I don't know how much longer my mom is staying and I'm afraid to ask. My dad went home on Sunday but I really can't imagine getting by without my mom for a while yet. We have friends who could bring us meals but I can't even carry anything up or down stairs yet; I can't imagine how I could do laundry, and I hear the machine running in the basement all day long.

Juls, I honestly don't know how you are managing with twins! And Janis, are your folks still around?
Old 01-29-2009, 01:16 AM

my parents went home on the 11th ... day before i went home from hospital. they stayed til the last possible minute, since my mom is an MD and had to get back to work. DH took vacation til last week but has been able to work from home this week, with daily conference calls.

My kids' rooms are upstairs, so that's all I'm missing. I'm still eating in bed, and I hope we'll still have some generosity with food for awhile yet. I've tried to be helpful in kitchen and with laundry, but Zoe needs me or I'm hurting too much. I'm ging stark mad not being productive! I'm a serious workaholic - this is cruel.

We finally found a part-time nanny today. She's a college student, and I hope she works out.

best wishes
--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
Old 01-29-2009, 01:37 PM

I hope she is a good nanny Janis! You definitely deserve some extra help.

Juneau, I guess we are a 9 hour drive from each other then, LOL! I had these great running shorts with support in them from Mothers In Motion. I couldn't have run without them.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:47 PM

Hello my beautiful mamas!

Our bus strike is over! Well officially since they are going to binding arbitration but busses will not start running until Feb 9th since they all need to be dug out and serviced (the mechanics were on strike too). And only major lines at that.

But still, an end is in sight!

I have popped. Still wearing regular clothes but noticeably Pg to anyone halfway observant.

Although I did make a lot of jokes while getting chips from the vending machine that I planned to get fat during the bus strike, LOL! Maybe people bought it!

Old 01-30-2009, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

February 9! Good grief!! But at least the end is in sight.

Congratulations on your pregnant belly! Are you "out" to your boss or colleagues yet?

I miss mine. Now I have a pooch and a fading henna tattoo. And a not-quite-healed incision. Blech. Hey, but on the other hand, I have a sleeping little squeaker on my lap.

We did have an outing today. It was a trial run. It took a long time to get the car seat sorted out, the diaper bag packed, the daughter into her duds, blankets over the seat, etc. etc. And then we had to navigate changing-table-less land (I changed her on my lap in the car) and try not to get too tired. We made it to lunch, and that was about it. But it was an outing!

As soon as I am driving, my mom will probably leave. I am torn. She is a frightful driver and I would much rather be driving than a passenger in her car! Yet once I am driving myself, she will go home, and I'm not ready for that. The nurse at my doctor's office said to give it at least another week before I think about driving and then only if I feel up to it. I will milk it. But may not go on any more outings with my mom.

Janis and Veganmama, you both have two older children. How did you feel about the oldest when the younger was born? I was so attached to dd1 that I wasn't sure I even had room for another dc in my heart. But within a day after dd2's birth, I started pushing dd1 away and now I am relieved when she is not around. How did you get beyond that? Is it a phase that will change when dd2 is out of her excessively needy newborn state? Or do I have a new number one in my heart forever? Help!
Old 01-30-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneau View Post
Or do I have a new number one in my heart forever? Help!
It will get better. Right now, you're in the protective phase. Soon, you'll get more comfortable with DD2, and you'll let DD1 back in. And, every step of the way, you'll remember (with tears, usually) how you felt when it was your first time witnessing a baby smile, talk, walk, etc. To me, that is what made me realize that there is maybe even a closer bond with DD1. Right now, DD1 is feeling jealous, and I'm fighting myself on that. I am not "ready" to re-bond with her yet, but I can see that she needs me to. She's jealous because I spend all my time with DD3, and DD2 is allowed to come to bed with us in the middle of the night, so DD1 is the only one not sleeping in our bed. So, now that I know what is hurting her, I'm giving her more latitude. After DD2 goes to bed, she stays with me in my bed - watch tv, or I read to her. I'm letting her hold the baby more, and change her, etc.

I don't remember feeling this overprotective with DD2, but I'm sure I was. Or maybe it's because of the surgery - I don't know. I do know that it will get better for you, and your connection with DD1 will just get better! So, for now, try to encourage your DH to spend more time with her alone.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
Old 02-01-2009, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
And, every step of the way, you'll remember (with tears, usually) how you felt when it was your first time witnessing a baby smile, talk, walk, etc. To me, that is what made me realize that there is maybe even a closer bond with DD1. ... I do know that it will get better for you, and your connection with DD1 will just get better! So, for now, try to encourage your DH to spend more time with her alone.
Thank you! That helps tremendously. Right now I want to freeze every moment with dd2 -- just like I was sad to give up pregnancy, now I'm a little wistful that she's putting on weight and growing! Ridiculous, I know, but it just isn't lasting long enough for me.

At the same time, the days of my recovery seem to be DRAGGING. I'm so sick of being cooped up inside. I don't even feel comfortable (hurts too much) to wear dd2 in a sling and walk around the house. I wear her plenty, but mostly while I'm sitting down. Janis, how is your recovery coming along?

My incision is healing better but there is still one deep place that stubbornly refuses to close up. Annoying, and painful.

Dh and dd1 spent the whole day out and about today. Nice for them. But it pains me to think how difficult it was for me to get out yesterday, and remember how relatively effortless it was to zoom around town with a preschooler, even when she's being difficult. (Not that we ever got anywhere on time, mind you!)

I will feel better, someday. But oh how I wish I could enjoy these tiny-baby and winter-weather days more...
Old 02-01-2009, 04:09 AM

Oh I'm totally feeling wistful that my girls are growing. i think they'll be out of the newborn clothes in a week or two. I mean, that would make sense since they're almost 6 weeks but they're getting bigger. I'm not feeling like I'm pushing DD#1 away. I'm feeling guilty that I'm not giving her enough attention. I feel like there are times where I'm plopping her in front of the TV or let her watch in the mornings (weekends) so that I can power nap. Everyone says she doesn't seem to be "feeling" any effects from the babies so I guess I'm still giving her enough attention. Thankfully, having the nanny at night helps with that a lot. I've got someone to watch the girls and I can help DD get ready for bed, shower, read stories etc. I think the others are right Juneau, about being protective. They're so little and precious and you just want to stare at them when they're in this teeny, tiny stage since it goes so quickly. Once the baby is slightly less needy, it'll probably be easier to balance and turn your attention back to DD#1.

The girls are doing well. I had to take Maya in to the doctor on Tuesday. It seems her belly button was opening up a little bit. A little nub had come through and while it looked just like what happened with Hayden (and the doctor put silver nitrate to help dry it up), I wanted to be sure. I didn't want to risk some kind of infection since I"m not seeing the doctor for the next check up for another 2 weeks. It was what I thought it was, a little nub from the umbilical cord. Why it opened up, who knows, but he put a little silver nitrate on Maya's belly button and we were on our way. Oh, and we weighed her and she as 7 pounds 6 ounces. So she gained 8 ounces in about 10 days which made him happy.

I'm still nursing, of course, as much as possible. I'm doing a little better in trying to pump so that should help stimulate more production. Still taking fenugreek and the tea, when i remember the tea. I'll have to look into that other stuff that you mentioned Janis. I'll take whatever help I can get. I'm making enough, I think, but with two, it's harder to know if they're getting enough from each breast. With one, you put them on both at each feeding (at least I did) so between the two boobs, she got enough. I'm a little uneven on my production- left side produces significantly more than my right - so it's possible that whoever is hungrier after nursing on the right. It certainly evens out at the end of the day but it sometimes makes for more fussiness after one would think they've been fed.

I'm still below my pre-preggo weight. MY belly still has a little pooch but if/when bother to walk or exercise, that should help that cause. It took me a year to lose that last 10 pounds with DD #1 so I'm still stunned that I've lost it all in 3-4 weeks.

It sounds like everyone is finally healing and getting back up to the daily routine. That's a good sign. We're just starting to do more in terms of getting out. I've been packing the girls up to take DD #1 to school in the mornings and sometimes pick up, but that's been about it. I'm starting to get out a little more with them but it's still too much to go to the market or Target. I can't see me taking them until they're old enough to really sit up in the cart. I can't go through with a double stroller unless it's for one or two items. I'll just have to time it for when I have help and can go do it, quickly, myself.

Okay, changing topics. Without judgement please, can you ladies give me some information about cloth diapers, what you use, how you use them, where did you get them etc? Yes, I'm not green and am using disposables but knowing the number of diapers I'm going through, I'm thinking about looking into trying cloth but honestly I know nothing about them. All I know is the kind from when I was a baby. Safety pins, diaper service etc. I looked a little online but there are quite a few options so I don't really understand or know what to look for or where to begin.

Janis, how is the nanny working out? How are you feeling? I have to say, your posts sound more chipper than a few weeks ago so I hope you're finding some distance and you're able to breath and move on a little bit.

VM, how are you feeling? Congrats on the big "pop". That's an exciting time. At least people will now know for sure that you're pregnant instead of going "hmm, is she gaining a little weight?" but are afraid to say something. How did the ultrasound go?

Okay, feeling a little sore throat from lack of sleep. I need to go to sleep before 2AM. Glad we're all doing well. That makes me happy.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Juls, it's so nice to hear from you! I'm glad the girls are doing well and gaining weight; that must be reassuring. I don't know how you manage to get all three girls packed up and out the door and to preschool in the mornings -- that's something I can't even imagine yet. I have yet to make it downstairs for breakfast before 10 a.m. because I'm nursing/snuggling/calming dd2 while dh is getting dd1 dressed, pottied, fed, etc. Preschool starts at 9, so it's going to be a real struggle when the time comes for me to do it on my own!

As for cloth diapers... we don't have the option of a diaper service here, but if we did, it'd definitely be something to consider for the early weeks. That being said, what we did with dd1: prefolds with waterproof covers. Prefolds are the cheapest ($1 to $2 each) diapers around. They fasten not with diaper pins any more, but with an ingenious device called a "Snappi." Google it to see what it looks like; it's hard to describe but incredibly easy to use. My favorite covers are Bummis Whisper Wrap; these run about $11 to $12 each, but we got by with about half a dozen in each size (newborn, small, medium). By the time she would have outgrown medium she was out of diapers.

We had two sizes of prefolds, I think they are "infant" and "toddler" but I'm not sure. I'll look them up and see (done, and yes, that's what they're called). About three or four dozen of each. Since they're cheap, it's easy to have a lot on hand, and then "change when wet" (or poopy). When you take off a diaper, throw it in a bin with a lid or a "wet bag." I never bothered with rinsing off poop, but by the time we were beyond breastmilk poop, all dd1's poop was going in the potty (see below).

To wash, throw all the diapers and the covers -- I kept reusing covers until wet or poopy -- in the washer without soap at first, and rinse on cold. Then do a hot wash with minimal soap, maybe an extra rinse, and then throw them in the dryer. (Hang the covers to dry.)

This time around, the smallest diapers and covers we had were still too big for my tiny babe. But my neighbor lent us her "newborn" stash and it has one smaller size of prefold ("preemie") than we had, a whole bunch of small covers (Proraps are the smallest I've seen), and several dozen "fitted" diapers, Swaddlebees and Kissaluvs size 0. These snap around baby and are slightly more convenient than the prefolds but also a whole lot more expensive, around $12 to $15 each. Not enough of a convenience factor to make me want to buy many myself, but nice to use when they are free.

OK, on to poop. At the same time as we were using cloth diapers with dd1, we were also practicing elimination communication (EC) from about three months on. There's a whole forum on this topic so I'll let you explore it further on your own. Suffice to say that we were very successful at teaching her to poop in the potty, and from 8 months on, before she could crawl (!) or eat solid foods, all of her poop was going in the potty. It was WONDERFUL not to have to change 2-year-old poopy diapers! (Or 1-year-old poopy diapers, for that matter!)

I'm sure Janis will weigh in on her routine, too. But cloth diapers are easy to use, economical, and "green," : no matter which type you end up using. For fun, I tie-dyed dd1's diapers and they are so pretty I can't imagine ever parting with them. Tie-dying not only looks cool, it hides stains.

You might post in the cloth diapering forum for tips on doing it for two.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yes, where to get them. I live in a small town near a not-very-crunchy big city, so there is nowhere to buy cloth diapers in a store. You might have more options near you. But they are very easy to buy online. Some sites I've used include diapersafari.com, katieskisses.com, etc. I haven't used this site, but cottonbabies.com has a "try-it" kit with half a dozen prefold diapers, two covers and a snappi for $35.

Oh and the type of prefolds I have are "diaper service quality" (DSQ) unbleached Chinese prefolds.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:55 PM

cloth diapers: I really prefer prefolds & velcro covers til the baby is mobile - about 4-6 months. Then, we switch to fitted diapers with covers and pocket diapers. I like tinytush.com as a supplier - lots of information, too. Here are my diaper washing istructions: http://www.pigvig.net/ynr/diapers101.pdf

My favorite covers are Bummis Super Whisper Wraps. They fit well, once the baby is 8#. Since you haven't started yet, you probably won't need to worry about fitting tiny babies, but you can skip newborn and skimp on things til you get up to medium. If you live somewhere with a diaper service, that's worth investigating: they will provide prefolds, and you buy the covers. but washin' diapers is no big deal, really. You'll save a LOT of money with twins

I'm doing better. I think that since I'm not just lying around as much, I'm not thinking as much. We had a "re-birth" last week, which was amazing. I wrote about it in my blog - http://lostmother.blogspot.com/ I still cry whenever I think about it or say anything to anyone about it, and I'm still "in the closet" with most people. Of course, it's not difficult since I haven't "gone" anywhere. I am going absolutely batty feeling useless - can't "do" anything, and I still hurt physically.

Our nanny seems to have potential - the kids like her. DH will be going back to work this week. Crossing my fingers on surviving without him here.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
Old 02-01-2009, 06:22 PM

Juls, I third the prefolds with a Bummis Super WHipsper Soft waterproof cover for newborns. They are cheap and easy to wash and dry. I used a diaper service at first but here they don't wash the covers fo ryou and DD's BF poop always ran onto the cover. I figured if I was washing poopy covers I might as well wash poopy diapers too.

The infant sized prefolds come in handy as doublers overnight in a toddlers diaper too. i swtiched to Mother Ease One Size organic cotton terry diapers with their AirFlow covers once DD was 10 lbs or so.

I had 2 in diapers for 12 months. And I worked full time for 8 of those months. It is doable.

I am glad everyone is healing well, I cannot believe you are all losing your babyweight so fast. Holy moly!

I was so lucky to have relatively easy recoveries (the labours sucked though!). I think I was able to be be out and about with them both within a couple of days (just gentle walks around the neighbourhood with the baby in a sling.

I have told my boss but not my colleagues that I am PG. If I tell my colleagues then everyone in my building will know and I am afraid my client referrals might dry up. Most women in Canada take a full year of (paid) maternity leave. They will just asume I will be gone for that long and stop referring to me. In fact, I will take 4 months and DH will take 8 months. His "top up" from his employer (over the Employment Insurance benefits) is 93% of his salary for 35 weeks. I only get 100% of my salary for 6 weeks. So I generally take 15 weeks and DH takes 35.

My kids are pretty close in age. DD was 12 months when DS was conceived and 20.5 months when he was born, so she was still pretty "baby-ish". I don't remember feeling protective of DS.

But I must confess, I am not really a newborn/infant lover. I mean I loved them but I am more interested in them when they get to be 8 months and up. So I was probably a bit the opposite, resentful of how much time DS took away from DD when he was first born. Plus the kid nursed ALL THE TIME. He was 9lb 5oz at birth and weighed 26 lbs at 9 months. By which time he outweighed DD even though she was 29 months!

I think my favourite time was when they were about 18 months and 3 respectively. So much fun!!

User Tag List