In our 40s and due in January - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 544 Old 02-19-2009, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In re cloth diapers: I am lovin' me my prefolds.

And regarding names: I'm having a hard time convincing dd1 that dd2's name is not actually "Fred." In fact, I've given up. We still call her "Fred" at home.

Also, right at the moment I am loving my Hoppediz wrap. There is nothing like snuggling with a sleeping newborn. I can't wait until it's warm enough to wear her outside (we did manage one day this week) so I can get out of the house without that troublesome bucket!

Anyone else using wraps/slings/mei tais/etc.? I have a couple of wraps, a couple rebozos, a couple pocket slings, and a mei tai. I'm using them all and loving them! What are your favorites?
#482 of 544 Old 02-19-2009, 06:08 PM

yes, i have too many baby carriers ... 2 ring slings (cotton made by WAHM, 1 longer for DH), mei tai, moby wrap, ultimate baby carrier (i had this with DD2, and i loved it for 10 months, but i'm looking forward to trying the moby wrap this time).

right now, the ultimate is the snuggliest for DD when she wants to nap and I want to 'do' anything. the ring sling works best for quickie, though! still always will be my favorite just for simplicity. it only has some padding on the shoulder - not the heavy rails like you see with a nojo or slingeese.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#483 of 544 Old 02-19-2009, 06:44 PM

juice and i have been out on the town 3 times so far. i have used the moby wrap which is the only one i have at present, though a mei tai is on the way. i have never and will never tote that bucket! my back hurts enough as it is. i just have my wrap mostly done up and when i get to my destination i put my car seat all the way back, pop him in and truss him up. then i throw a blanket over him until we get inside the restaurant or store. the moby seems to be great for hands free ease while out and about. but what about recommendations for something simpler and less bulky around the house for hands free? i never put this baby down and doing things one handed is hard. i thought the mei tai might be faster for around the house but if you guys have any suggestions for something that would work better for a newborn then please tell me!

mommy to arthur, erik
AND baby juicy!!! born 2-5-09
erika
#484 of 544 Old 02-19-2009, 07:28 PM

erika - you should be hands-free with the moby ... or is it a sling that you have? when i want to be more productive, i opt for the two shoulder carrier (moby, mei tai, ultimate). yes, it's bulky, but it's hands free and more balanced.

i never ever carry baby in the car seat. i can hardly carry it when it's empty, much less with a baby in it! I do have a stroller frame, designed for the bucket - but i only ever used it with DD2 when she was asleep. haven't used it yet this time.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#485 of 544 Old 02-19-2009, 07:39 PM

i am hands free with the moby, but it's cumbersome for quick trips to the bathroom or kitchen. i work at home so i'm home all day with juice on my lap. when i want to make a sandwich i'd like to be able to just pop him in something and go make a sandwich. i don't want to have to wrap up in the moby every time i have to pee, you know? if i wore the moby all the time i could use it that way, but then my breasts would not be available as quickly and i like for them to be right there so i can pop one in the mouth before he has a chance to cry. so i'm looking for something around the house that is quick to to pop him in and out of when i need to leave this chair! ideas??

mommy to arthur, erik
erika
#486 of 544 Old 02-19-2009, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Erika, I love two things: a Huggamonkey pocket sling ($20 for organic cotton, including shipping!) and a rebozo I bought on e-bay, brand new, also about $20 with shipping factored in. Search for "Chiapas rebozo." Made and shipped from Chiapas. I folded mine in half lengthwise and tied a knot so it functions essentially as a pocket sling also. It's what I wear around the house all day and baby goes in and out. (The knot rides just behind my shoulder.) I leave it knotted all the time so it's always just the right length.

Dh loves the mei tai or Maya adjustable pocket sling (no longer made ). I wear the Hoppediz for going outside or when I know Fred is going to be asleep for a while and I need both hands free. It functions just like a moby but I'll be able to use it longer since it's not stretchy.

Now this I've gotta try: nursing hands free in a front wrap cross carry.
#487 of 544 Old 02-20-2009, 05:43 AM

Hi Vicki! Congrats on your little girl. We have a nice little sorority going here. I love it. Glad the birth was so easy and positive for you.

Erika, let's talk about cloth diapers. I spoke with my friend who said she'd be happy to help me when I get around to ordering. She used the all-in-ones for her daughter. Yes, they're pricier but they were stupidproof, especially for her DH. She said she did put the liners in which was helpful and would still occasionally use disposables at night so that her DD would go longer without waking up. That's as far as I've gotten.

Me and the girls went to the mall the other day. Finally got all of us out of a house for an outing. They've done plenty of carpool and ballet already but this was the first real "load 'em up" outing. They did great and slept the entire time, of course. I, out of necessity, travel around with them in their car seats.

I got two of them so slinging both isn't really going to work. I do use a sling around the house which has been great. http://www.slinglings.com/ I didn't have them with DD #1 but the same diaper advising friend swore by her sling so I ordered. Nothing fancy, just the over the shoulder kangaroo type thing but it's been so much more helpful than I ever imagined. When one of them is super fussy, it's been great to help calm them down and it's great to have two free hands to do things like make dinner or type on the computer. What a concept.
#488 of 544 Old 02-22-2009, 02:45 PM

Congratulations Vicki and welcome to the world Edie Mae! I can't believe you all had girls except for Erika. Wow.

I bet I am having a boy because my DS drove us crazy when we were in Cuba and we (several times under our breath) said "we better be having girl".

I love, love, love prefolds with Bummi wraps for newborns. I used the Mother_Ease one-size wth their Airflow covers when they got to be 10 plus pounds or so. My sister loves her BumGenius all in ones.

I have a padded ring sling which I only like in the newborn stage, a fleece pouch and a solarveil unpadded ring sling for the summer/beach/pool.

My sister has a BabyKangourou (a Quebec company, it's wrap) that she is going to lend me.

Started feeling the baby kick when we were away! 18w1d today!

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#489 of 544 Old 02-22-2009, 03:25 PM

thanks for all the feedback, you guys!

juls, the one thing i hear about AIOs is that they don't want to dry in the dryer. did your friend say anything about that?? they are tempting, but yes, so expensive.

vm, i have been looking at mother ease and thinking prefolds with wraps might be the way to go. or contours with wraps?? they have those at mother ease, too. what do you think of contours??

jkuneau, thanks for sling recommendations. i ordered the rebozo and will order the huggamonkey as soon as i take the measurement, so thanks!!

one more question to put to you guys: breastfeeding. on one side he will NOT open his mouth far enough and when he does he is keeping his tongue on the roof of his mouth. he is tearing that nipple to SHREDS. i just broke his latch on the side more than a dozen times before just giving up and giving him the other, onto which he latches perfectly and with ease every time. WHAT THE HELL!?!?! i am really frustrated with this and really hurting. i have tried numerous positions, i'm tickling his nose with my nipple, all that, but he *will not* put his tongue down on that side only. he is not tongue tied. ideas?? advice?? it's driving me **insane**!!

ok, one more question: letting go of anger. my birth experience was great, at home, peaceful, and unassisted since my mw got caught in bad weather. my doula made it for the last five minutes. i had told both of these women over and over and over and over that i was going to catch my son and that i didn't want them touching him. i told them that with a water birth i would have plenty of time to reach around for him. when he was born i practically threw a hip out trying to beat my doula to my baby. she reached for him at the same time i did, and after a few seconds let go and i brought him to my chest. however, when she tells the story she did 'the catch'. my mw wife has now announced several times how carol 'did the catch'. i sometimes lay awake at night burning with anger over this!! i don't want to feel this way, but i do. i would think she wouldn't want to admit that she nearly robbed me of an experience so precious to me and that she completely disrespected my wishes, and yet 'carol did the catch' rings in my ears night and day. it is tainting this experience and that enrages me more. advice?? help with this??? i really don't want to feel like this.

mommy to arthur, erik
erika
#490 of 544 Old 02-22-2009, 03:29 PM

one more note about the breastfeeding, he's blanching the tip of my nipple white on that side and it's killing me!

mommy to arthur, erik
erika
#491 of 544 Old 02-22-2009, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

In regard to diapers, I tried some all-in-ones with dd and found that they leaked and were hard to dry. If I were going to try again I would definitely try a few brands before ordering a bunch. But I'm so happy with the prefolds I doubt I will branch out. As for contours, I'm not convinced there's an advantage for the price.

Erika, I hope you like the slings! As far as the birth goes, I'm sorry it's rankling you that your doula claims to have "done the catch." Over time, I hope you'll be able to let go of that anger and just enjoy the amazing moment you had with your son -- after all, you know what happened and someday he'll be old enough that you can tell him, too. At that point, the doula and MW will probably be long gone from your lives.

As far as breastfeeding goes, it sounds like he's clamping down, but why on one side and not the other I couldn't tell you. You might want to consider contacting a La Leche League leader in your area. Breastfeeding problems are hard to diagnose over e-mail but you might get some good information in a phone call or a face-to-face visit. I'm sorry you're having trouble; it must be very frustrating (and painful).

As for us, we have colds. Ugh. It's the worst cold I've had in a long time and I'm having a hard time getting better because it's so hard to sleep at night. And now Eliza Jane has it too and I'm awake even more worrying about her. But I think (hope) we're over the worst of it. Tomorrow is dd1's fourth birthday and we're having a party at an art studio. Yesterday we celebrated dh's birthday, so I've been going nuts baking cakes and cupcakes here.
#492 of 544 Old 02-22-2009, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

VM, welcome back from Cuba, and hooray for kicks!
#493 of 544 Old 02-22-2009, 09:29 PM

Erika. i second Juneau's suggestion to get some help re the BFing issue. My MW came by when DD was a few days old because I was really having trouble. A nearby hospital may have a lactation consultant on staff or holding clinics there too, I know the one near me does. I have never been to a La Leache League meeting but I bet you could get good help there too.

That is annoying about "the catch" story. YOU know the real story though. Perhaps you could have a word with your MW about it being an issue for you??

I did try some contours and I didn't like them as much as my prefolds. I have also tried some AIOs (Fuzzibuns I think and Mattaquin) and didn't like them as much as my Mother-Ease One size, which were also a lot easier to dry.

My sister is loving her BumGenius AIOs but I hear the elastic goes after awhile.

#494 of 544 Old 02-28-2009, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Oh boy, quiet here! I went out today dressed in my jeans for the first time postpartum.

Not much to report except babies grow so fast! I'm not sure how I feel about that. I am already missing the itty bitty newborn stage and EJ is only six weeks old!
#495 of 544 Old 03-04-2009, 05:05 PM

Congrats on fittin ginto your pre-pregnancy jeans Juneau! i think I was a lot longer than that with DS. Of course, I did gain 47 lbs!

I guess you are all busy, busy with your little ones. Enjoy those babymoons!

#496 of 544 Old 03-04-2009, 06:10 PM

good grief - i'm still in maternity jeans! i also gained 40+ pounds, but i guess 5 weeks in bed doesnt help me lose any weight. i can't believe zoe is almost 2 months old!!!

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#497 of 544 Old 03-05-2009, 11:57 AM

Janis, I have a lot of different size pants from when I was coming down in size after DS.
Don't feel bad.

#498 of 544 Old 03-06-2009, 11:50 AM

Here comes my bad mama confession.

I had a gross anatomay u/s yesterday mostly to find out gender. My DD was small-ish (6 lb 9 oz) and my son was pretty big (9 lb 5 oz) and had huge shoulders that got stuck during the descent. I pushed for over an hour and nothing happened. Finally I got him unstuck and pushed him out 1.5 hours later. However, his shoulders would not come out within the time frame (3 minutes) so they were just getting ready to break his clavicle when I managed to get him out.

My midwife has some concern that if this is a boy and he is as big or bigger than my DS that I might not be able to get him out. DS's birth was pretty scary.

Anyway, it is a boy. So I will have another ultrasound closer to the date, which I have never sone before. Hopefully to put our minds at ease about the size of the baby.

I am scared about having another, even bigger boy and I am also disappointed that DD will never have a sister. I am almost 42, this is it for our family.

Also, my sister and my MIL find my DS very challenging. He is super energetic and very much a boy. They are girly girls. And they both dote on DD. So I know they are disappointed.

Which make me really, really mad but also makes me feel guilty because I am a bit disappointed (and scared) too.

And, of course, I feel guilty because it looks like I am having a very healthy little bean and I love him already and I know many people would love to be in my place right now.

I will get over this in a day or too and thanks for letting me get it off my chest.

#499 of 544 Old 03-09-2009, 02:17 PM

Still worried about him being big. However, DS was measuring 9 days ahead at 20 w u/s and this aby is measuring right on his dates.

I think I will do Hypnobabies to help me through the fear of labour.

Emotionally feeling much better about having another DS today, especially after DD gave me a long explanation of the girl politics in her class this morning. Good grief, they are only 6 years old!

#500 of 544 Old 03-09-2009, 03:12 PM

veganmama: i want to suggest something to you. watch your diet super vigilantly, especially during the third trimester. my MW is very strict about diet, and with dd2, i kinda cheated. she was 8#13 and born nearly 6 weeks after dd1, who was 7#1. well, dd3 was even longer gestation and she was 7#3 !!! i was hyper vigilant about diet during this pregnancy, and i am personally convinced that it made a difference. (now, of course, at 2 months, dd3 is HUGE! )

anyway, don't 'worry' - but be as proactive as you can be.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#501 of 544 Old 03-09-2009, 06:14 PM

Hey Janis, any tips on watching the diet? I am veg too (obviously with my user name, LOL)
I stay away from white carbs (bread, pasta and rice) and juice. I don't eat junk food.

Thanks!

#502 of 544 Old 03-12-2009, 12:41 PM

Veganmama - yeah, stay away from the white carbs & junk food! i ate a ton of protein during the last 3 months. and i worked really hard at curbing the cravings for sugar. i love bread & pasta, but i didn't eat much unless it was whole grain - and i didn't eat any carbs in the evening. sugar in evening maybe once a week. i'm surprised how many people don't pay much attention to their diet during pregnancy. but it sounds like you're on top of it. one thing my mw said was to add a protein to every meal & snack. i eat eggs, so i ate a ton of them, but there are plenty of vegan sources.

i guess when i suggested watching your diet, i was brainfarting and forgot you're vegan! a lot of veg ppl eat a very fatty diet, though - just make sure that every calorie you eat has value. if there hadn't been such a significant weight difference with dd2 & dd3, i might be less convinced. (i was 3.5 weeks late , and I weighed 6#11 - sure that was a different era, but i think we do have *some* control over the weight of our babes.)

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#503 of 544 Old 03-12-2009, 05:45 PM

Thanks Janis. So far this baby is not measuring ahead like DS did and I think I have the weight gain under slightly better control but I will try to add more protein too!
But you are right, I don't eat too many "fluffy" calories as a rule. Most everything has nutirtional value. I probably did eat more late night cereal with DS than I am with this baby so far.

#504 of 544 Old 03-15-2009, 06:08 AM

VM, I'm excited that you're having a boy. I hope you're getting excited now too. I'm not sure how your family could be "disappointed" that you're having another boy. Isn't a healthy bean, which you've got, the only real thing that matters? I know they're so happy for you. I'm totally with you on the politics of being a 6 year old girl. I got one myself. Crazy isn't it? And while girls clothes are more fun than boys, your one daughter can be the princess. There's something to be said for that too. I have no diet advice, sorry, but other than that, I hope you're feeling great.

How's everyone doing? Is anyone getting any sleep? Once again, I've been MIA. Not a lot of quality computer time plus I'm doing the yearbook for DD's school. Not sure what I was thinking when I signed on for that. I think I figured I'd have plenty of sitting on my butt time. Yeah, I was clearly insane at the time I said "yes". But I've got my mojo so it's coming along. I have to finish it in about a month and then I'll be able to do things for me, like keep up here among other things.

Maya and Hayden are almost 11 weeks. They're doing great. It's funny, about 2 weeks ago when I was changing their clothes, I noticed how much they're filling out. They don't have that "sharpei" extra skin like a newborn. Amazing how sweet they are. My girls are doing better on the sleep. Going longer periods but we still have some issues and sometimes it's hard to get them both asleep. Or to stay asleep. Overall, they're doing great. I won't even guess at the weight but we go back on the 27th so I'll get an idea on how we're doing. I'm still having to supplement one bottle a day. I don't think they're getting enough from me. When I pump, usually after missing a feeding or being out and too long between, I get about 6-7 ounces total. So if they're nursing, it's only about 3-4 ounces each. That's really not enough. I know it's the total amount in a day but it's no wonder that they're hungry after feeding sometimes. The only other thing I have to watch is what I eat and how it effects my breastmilk. I never had that with DD. But I had a burrito the other night and last night was brutal. Maya was hating life and screaming for hours. That happened once when she was about 2 weeks old but didn't happen another time I had Mexican. As I posted on Facebook, "I forgot that beans and babies don't mix."

What's the latest with everyone? How are all the girls??
#505 of 544 Old 03-15-2009, 11:39 PM

Oh Juls, I am in so much trouble if beans and breastfeeding don't mix! Since I don't eat meat or dairy, most of my protein comes from beans, legumes and nuts!

However, DS is still nursing once a day and it doesn't seem to both him.

It sounds like you are doing great with the breastfeeding. Don't forget that a baby will get more milk from you than even the best pump would. I could never pump more than 3-4 ounces at a time when I went back to work when DD was 4 months and she was exclusively BF until 6 months. Of course, she had and still has the smallest appetite on earth! 6.5 years old and she weighs 41 lbs. Her brother, who will be 5 on Saturday weighs 50 lbs.

I had to LOL about the yearbook. You are crazy!

The girls sound adorable, I bet you could just eat them up. I can practically smell the baby smell through the computer.

Thanks for the update!

#506 of 544 Old 03-16-2009, 12:13 AM

beans don't bother my babies nor does mexican, booze, or caffeine :

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#507 of 544 Old 03-16-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post

Tee hee!

#508 of 544 Old 03-18-2009, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
same here :

Actually, Eliza Jane (or, as dd1 says, that's her nickname and she'd prefer that I use her real name, "Fred") is a great sleeper. She's regularly sleeping seven or eight hours a night : at two months, and was going five or six as early as a month. Now before you hate me, dd1 did not sleep that long until she was two or three YEARS old! And trust me, if I knew the secret, I'd make a billion bucks!

Sorry I haven't been here much, I've given into my new obsession: Facebook. Hockeylover, I see you're on too. Janis and I are friends. PM me for my user name.

6-7 oz sounds great, Juls!
#509 of 544 Old 03-18-2009, 12:16 PM

Oh golly, my DS will be 5 on Saturday and he still doesn't sleep through the night!
He starts the night in our bed, is moved to his own room when DH comes to bed, then comes running into our bed around 2-3 am and pretty much sleeps on my head for the rest of the night.

DD started sleeping through the night the week after DS was born. She was 21 months.

#510 of 544 Old 03-18-2009, 05:18 PM

sleeping through the night is a sham. it doesn't happen til they are 8-9 years old.

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page