In our 40s and due in January - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 544 Old 08-24-2008, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh my dear VM, I can't tell you how much I'm feeling for you and sending you lots of hugs. I said an audible OMG when I read your post. My heart is just breaking and I know there's not much any of us can say. We love you and that's good news that your doctor thinks you're still quite the fertile Mertle. That bodes well for the next round when your body recovers in a few weeks. Just sending hugs and love and it doesn't feel like enough. And you do deserve the spa day (and perhaps a few umbrella drinks as well)

Juneau, what a great report from your ultrasound. I'm sure you gave a HUGE exhale. It's all very exciting and I'm glad it's all just perfect, just as it should be.

Welcome MNSunshine! The more the merrier and the January due date thing is a little lose on this thread. My 40 week singleton due date is January 9 but with twins that's never gonna happen. But my friends are here so I'm not even looking at December. We're bonding over our age thing and that works for me.

As for my ultrasound on Thursday, we went and brought DD with us to see "The Boo-Boo's". I was about 19.5 weeks which is a few days early but we're out of town this week for the official 20 week U/S. Everything was better than expected. I mean, I expected everything to be just fine but the doctor used the word "thrilled" several times with what he saw with both babies. Everything was right where it's supposed to be including liver and kidneys (I don't remember seeing those last time with DD), hands, feet, heartbeats, brain's looking great, no extra fluids anywhere, just "thrilled". He didn't think he'd be able to see as much at 19 so it was all exceptionally good. Now, I start my pretty much every two week schedule with seeing someone. My OB to make sure they stay in, the Perinatologist to make sure they're growing. It's a lot of monitoring but I've been through a bunch of miscarriages so if they want to check, I want the grand prize so I'm fine with it. They're already about 11" and .75 pounds. 11" is big. They're pretty much halfway there in length which is hard to believe.

I guess I'm feeling some movement. It's not the flutters like with DD. But I definitely feel specific spots of movement that come and go. Thus, I'm figuring it's movement. I know they're active in there. My next appointment is on the 3rd.
#152 of 544 Old 08-25-2008, 12:59 PM

Dear Juls, thanks so much for your post (and the heads up on the TTC board). Your love and support means a lot to me.

I can't tell you how happy I am to hear about your great u/s appointment and how thrilled your doc is. That is just so wonderful and I'm thrilled for you too.

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#153 of 544 Old 08-26-2008, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Veganmama, just sending a big your way.

Juls, I'm so glad to hear your great U/S report! Your babies sound big!! Mine was only 7 oz at 19 weeks, but the U/S tech said that was right on track.

Do you or Vicki have any remaining (or newly surfacing) food cravings or aversions? I am finding that I really can't stomach garlic or onions, and although raw tomatoes are OK, tomato sauce is really yucky. It makes me sad because all of those things are plentiful now between my garden and the farm stands. I harvested 100 heads of garlic from my garden in July and haven't eaten any of it! And last year I froze a lot of roasted tomatoes but I'm having a hard time finding the motivation now.

I'm also starting to find cooking uncomfortable because the heat from the stove bothers my belly. I need an apron with a belly shield in it! Maybe that'll be my niche product -- if only I had the energy to develop it...

I've been napping in the afternoons when dd allows and cannot get out of bed in the mornings -- pre-children I swam every morning at 6 a.m. for years! -- now I think 8 a.m. is to early for words.

But otherwise, I feel pretty good. How about you?
#154 of 544 Old 08-27-2008, 12:23 AM

Veganmama thinking of you

Juneau I am so glad you are feeling better! My nausea is gone only to be replaced by killer heartburn: I still have an aversion to really sweet stuff and crave really spicy. It's ok though, I went into this pregnancy a little on the "fluffy" side and probably don't need the sweets.

I love your belly apron idea!

Juls : That is great news!

My u/s was last Friday. Everything looked perfect except there is there is possibly a ventricular septal defect. I am trying to not be too worried because I know it is hard to get a clear diagnosis this early but it is hard not to. Being ped and OB nurse seems to make me think worse case scenario in these situations.

Anyways, we are having a : girl! We were not going to find out but after the possible not so good news we changed our minds. We are very excited :! She weighed apprx 9oz and measures right on.
#155 of 544 Old 08-27-2008, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Oh yes, killer heartburn here too! I forgot to mention it because I've been treating it prophylactically with Zantac at bedtime -- otherwise I run a very good chance of being awakened by reflux in the middle of the night (lovely).

Unfortunately, my sweet tooth has returned with a vengeance. And I liked spicy during the first trimester but not any more...

What is a ventricular septal defect? I'm sorry to hear you got maybe not-so-good news, but I hope it's just an u/s artifact and everything is really OK with your baby. A girl -- how exciting for your dd!
#156 of 544 Old 08-28-2008, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Bump! And time for a new belly pic!

20-week belly

I think I've really popped in the past four weeks -- there's no hiding this bump any more!
#157 of 544 Old 08-29-2008, 12:13 AM

i'm sorry i've been gone so long, everyone! i wasn't getting notices that there were new posts and i assumed no one was posting. then i just came to see if i was wrong and i sure was wrong. i'm so behind on what is happening with everyone.

veganmama, i am so sorry about what is happening. it's heartbreaking and terrible and even though i know you will keep trying and even though i know you are going to succeed, it doesn't minimize this experience and i just want you to know how sorry i am and that my heart is with you. xoxoxo

erik and arthur's mommy
erika

41, 14 weeks 1 day via home insemination with known donor
: : :
#158 of 544 Old 08-29-2008, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Erika, I'm so relieved to see you back! I was so worried that something terrible had happened to you. Please catch us up on how you are doing.
#159 of 544 Old 08-29-2008, 12:38 AM

well, i'm still get nauseous but i guess one could call that a 'good sign' in some way as it means my hormone levels are high? am i right? and i get tired, but that's ok. my stomach went from normal to sticking out over night it seems and now strangers are beginning to notice that i'm pregnant. i had a drs appointment today, pretty routine. everything is good and the heartbeat was good, 153. they said they will schedule my level 2 ultrasound for around 19-20 weeks which feels like eons away. i said the appointment needed to be 3 or later and the dr said maybe they won't agree to that because if something is wrong the dr will want to talk to me and the dr won't make appointments so late. just mentioning something negative like that made me unhappy. ultrasound 1 was perfect and i have no real reason to worry but i don't like even the idea being introduced, especially considering my history. but i'm just trying not to think that way....

erik and arthur's mommy
erika

41, 14 weeks 1 day via home insemination with known donor
#160 of 544 Old 08-29-2008, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Yay, heartbeat! I'm sorry the docs are stressing you out about your u/s. I feel the same way -- any little thing is enough to send me over the edge with worry. Fortunately, things are still going very smoothly for us, and I trust will for you as well. I scheduled my 20-week u/s with only a week's notice because I knew I would spend whatever time I had to think about it getting more and more anxious.

I hope your nausea and fatigue ease up soon. I felt more or less normal by 15 weeks.
#161 of 544 Old 08-29-2008, 10:46 AM

so they're doing it to you, too! you know, i guess my dr didn't really say anything untoward, it was just the mentioning of it. but really, logically, why should i worry? the chance that everything is far greater than the chance that there is something wrong so i'm going to focus on that and not ruin the next six weeks being scared. i have to work very hard for any sliver of good attitude i have and i can't afford to let this undermine my efforts to be positive. this whole u/s business is routine and i'm sure that everything is going to be fine. everything was perfect at 9 weeks so i don't see why it shouldn't continue to be.

and there's my little pep talk for me this morning!

erik and arthur's mommy
erika

41, 14 weeks 2 days via home insemination with known donor
#162 of 544 Old 08-29-2008, 07:20 PM

Welcome back Erika. Glad you're still feeling nauseous, always a good sign that those hormones are working. And glad to hear everything else is right on track. YAY!

Juneau, you're looking great. Not big at all. And I'm having HUGE heartburn, especially at night or when I'm leaning propped up in bed. Tums are with me all the time.

Vicki, when will they check again and give you a definitive answer on this "possible" problem. Lovely that they send you in a panic and they don't know for sure. You know, we're all hoping that it's nothing when they finally figure it all out.

I'm doing well. Felt some HUGE kicks yesterday while I was at work. I was working at "Big Brother" and we were rehearsing who was getting evicted and they seemed to agree that that person should be "booted". It was a good swift kick. Definitely feeling movement and now the kicks. All good.
#163 of 544 Old 08-30-2008, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Yay kicks! I'm still only feeling the occasional bump, though it's more and more convincingly baby. Never repeated, though!

Last night I was exhausted and fell into bed around 9:15. By 10 I could still hear dd running around and I lost it with dh for not putting her to bed (so we both could sleep). I sleep down the hall and dh sleeps with dd, but she still keeps me awake if she's running up and down the hall! Anyhow, I must have dozed off and awakened later to crying -- it felt like I hadn't slept but about 2 hours had elapsed. Dd was inconsolable and had just thrown up, apparently from crying so hard. I finally got her to calm down and go to sleep, and I went back to bed. I had just reached the point of falling asleep again when the crying resumed. This was repeated for about three hours, where every time I got sleepy enough after one crying jag to fall asleep again, I was jolted awake. Sleep deprivation is a horrible thing!

She couldn't tell us what was wrong and wasn't feverish but all was not right, obviously. She finally fell into a deep sleep and I had tormented dreams of having my sleep interrupted over and over again.

Today she is feverish, snotty-nosed and crabby, so she's definitely sick. Poor baby. We were going to leave tomorrow for a trip but now I'm not so sure we'll be going anywhere.

I hope all is well at your houses. Are you doing anything fun for Labor Day?
#164 of 544 Old 08-30-2008, 10:28 PM

I wasn't feeling much of anything other than some little "muscle bubble" things. But since Thursday, there's been lots of movement. They're busy in there.

I had a horrible night's sleep last night. I've had weird dreams this whole pregnancy so it only continuing. Then had a weird pain in my ankle which distracted me from falling asleep and then had a huge muscle cramp in my cramp at 5:30A. So I'm exhausted today.

Juneau, I'm sorry you had such a rough night as well. I hope DD is feeling better. Clearly, whatever got her overnight was coming on last night and why she couldn't fall asleep. It's so hard when they're sick and darn it, we need our sleep too. YOu don't even want to know what time my DD went to sleep last night. (okay, 11:45P)

I work on the Jerry Lewis Telethon so we're all here in Vegas. DH directs the overnight. I'm one of the Associate Directors and work with all of the performances. This year, I will NOT be staying up all night. At 21 weeks, it's not the smartest thing at this stage of the pregnancy game. So that's what I'll be doing this Labor Day. I have to say though, (this is my 19th year working on the national show) I have become very grateful for my beautiful, healthy child. So I pray the same for all of our babes (both inside and out) and give 'em an extra kiss.
#165 of 544 Old 08-30-2008, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

I just watched a (National Geographic, I think) video about interactions between multiples in the womb. It was fascinating. Apparently twins can play games with each other in the womb that they then continue after birth.

Dd is going to bed quietly, so far, but now dh is sick too. Blech. I am staying far away from both of them...

Have fun in Vegas and definitely get some sleep, if you can.
#166 of 544 Old 09-01-2008, 02:08 AM

That's very interesting. I'm sure they're doing something in there. LOL. I'll have to research and see if I can find that.

Hope DH is feeling better. And that you stay far, far away from the sickies.
#167 of 544 Old 09-03-2008, 11:37 AM

people might say i'm full of it, but i could swear i've been feeling movements since 11 weeks, only when i'm laying down at night and very still. and the feelings have gotten stronger over the weeks. two days ago i felt something while i was sitting in a chair talking to my sister. maybe the baby knows i need extra reassurance or something....

erik and arthur's mommy
erika

41, 15 weeks via home insemination with known donor
#168 of 544 Old 09-03-2008, 06:02 PM

Crazy few weeks here so I haven't been online much.

Kind of feeling in a weird head space. Still waiting for the other shoe to drop I guess. Lately, I'm just worrying that all is not well inside the bod pod. I have nothing to base this on except my own paranoia. The last test was the NT scan at 16 weeks and everything was fine then. So, not sure what is causing this worry. Hormones, I suppose. I do have my level 2 u/s next week (18.5 weeks). Tick Tock until then.

I'm definitely popping out and showing! I am pretty petite to begin with and this is my 5th pregnancy (2 full-term babes)so I guess it is not too surprising. Trying to take it in stride but just feel so ungainly already and it is early days!

Trying to walk and do yoga on alternate days.
#169 of 544 Old 09-04-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNSunshine View Post
...Lately, I'm just worrying that all is not well inside the bod pod. I have nothing to base this on except my own paranoia. The last test was the NT scan at 16 weeks and everything was fine then....
i can appreciate how you feel. i guess because of all that has happened to me i find it hard not to worry. but i try to force those thoughts out and 'not borrow trouble', as they say. i had a scan at 9 weeks and all was normal and don't have my level 2 for 5 weeks which feels like forever. but in the meantime i just insist on believing everything is ok even if i have to force myself to do so. i hope you're worries quiet down. i know it's a miserable way to feel. it's better to be able to enjoy our pregnancies.

xoxox
erik and arthur's mommy
erika

41, 15 weeks 1 day via home insemination with known donor
#170 of 544 Old 09-04-2008, 05:15 PM

Yes, Yes... I know it will be better for me to just relax and try to enjoy this. Thanks for the commiseration.
#171 of 544 Old 09-06-2008, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I've been offline for almost a week. I just started really feeling the baby move yesterday -- hooray! Now I can put my hand on my belly and feel it from the outside!

I just have to share that I am so mad at my dh. We are going to a picnic at his boss's house today with his colleagues, most of whom (including the boss) I have never met. I thought we agreed a couple of weeks ago that it was time to tell the boss that I am pregnant. Dh forgot we even talked about it. So now I'm showing up at her house with a five-month preggo belly with no advance warning from him. I am incensed and half-considering not going, except that would probably be worse. But I am NOT looking forward to the hour drive with steam coming out of my ears the whole way. GRRR!

It will probably be fine but dh seems to have never learned common courtesy or common sense and it drives me NUTS! (Add on top of that a brain like a sieve and it's a recipe for lots of arguments...)

Sorry Erika and MNSunshine that you are in worrying phases of your pregnancies. I am finally feeling very optimistic now (at almost 22 weeks) and actually bought my first things for the baby over the past few days -- a rebozo and a new wrap sling. It takes a while to get there, though, I know.
#172 of 544 Old 09-06-2008, 12:24 PM

Juneau : for feeling baby moving. Sorry about your dh, I swear men just don't get it sometimes. Or most of the time. We had a similar situation recently and he just doesn't get why I am upset.

Erika and MNSunshine Take one day at a time, that what I keep reminding myself.

My next sono will be in 3 weeks. Hopefully this little one's heart will look normal by then. I am trying not to be too stressed out for the sake of everyone around me ( and inside me too).

On a brighter note, this baby is moving, a lot: I can feel her kick externally too. I haven't bought anything for her yet but dd surprised me with the Mary Jane Trumpett socks - too cute!
#173 of 544 Old 09-06-2008, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomvicki View Post
We had a similar situation recently and he just doesn't get why I am upset.
Yep, that's it! No amount of talking/explaining will get through to them, either. Grr! I must say, to my dh's credit, he called his boss before we left the house, so although it wasn't an ideal solution, it at least wasn't a complete surprise to her when we showed up with an obvious belly bean.

Yay for kicking! I'm sorry you have to worry about the next sono.

I see my doctor Monday. Should be a breeze. I am gaining weight faster than I'd like, though, but still not so much that it would be a concern for the doc. My plan/goal is to gain 5 lbs before week 20, 10 lbs between week 20 and 30, and 5 lbs in the last 9 weeks. But I'm already ahead of that -- and although it's not by much, it's the trajectory that has me a bit worried.

Ah well, if it's not one thing to obsess about, it's another...
#174 of 544 Old 09-14-2008, 04:37 AM

Hi all! I thought I posted the other day but I guess I didn't. And then two days without internet at home, I thought I would crumble. LOL.

The Boo-Boo's are moving around like crazy. I keep grabbing DD's hand to feel it but she hasn't felt anything yet. I don't think she knows what she's supposed to be feeling (those little bumps) and of course, they don't kick on cue either. Went to the doctor right after Labor Day and they were VERY active. Kicking and moving all over the place. Have another perinatologist appointment this week so this will be an updated U/S after the 19 week update. Then go see my OB on the 23rd for the diabetes test. I'll be 24 weeks then. I can't believe we're on the downside of this already. I've got SO much to do to get my house cleaned up (purged of all the crap) and ready. OY.

I haven't paid much attention to my weight gain. I think I'm a little under what I should be but only by a few pounds so I'm not worrying about it. I am eating so that's all I can do. The heartburn is killing me though.

Vicki, try not to be stressed although I know that's WAY easier said than done. It'll all be good. You're feeling the kicks and that means she's busy in there. Again, all good.

Juneau, sorry DH was being, well, a typical clueless male. I hope the party turned out ok in spite of the "oh yeah, my wife is pregnant" phone call moments before your arrival. I'm surprised in our circle of work folk those who don't know that I'm pregnant. When I got to Vegas to work on the MDA Telethon, there were quite a few co-workers who I've known forever, obviously didn't know, and were just like pointing at my belly. About two weeks ago, one of the ladies I work with said "are you pregnant?" Um, yeah about 20 weeks worth of preggo, with twins. She just thought I had gained some weight. Okay, back in June, I know that some people didn't know what to say, maybe it was just a little weight gain. But it's quite obvious now and people are always asking how "the three of us" are. I have to laugh.

Hope everyone is feeling well, enjoying the kicks and hopefully getting some sleep (as I'm up at 12:30A). Off to bed.
#175 of 544 Old 09-14-2008, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Nice to hear from you, Juls. I really haven't had anything to say because things are going pretty smoothly right now.

What are you doing for the heartburn? I take Zantac at bedtime and that at least ensures that I get a good night's sleep. If the heartburn gets bad in the afternoon I might take it a little earlier.

Dd keeps asking, "Is it January yet?" So cute. She knows that Christmas has to come first, and last night she said she had a dream about Christmas, eating candy canes and getting presents.

I saw the nurse at my doctor's office last week and she said everything looks great. The weight gain has plateaued a bit so I'm right back on track. The next thing is the GTT for me, which I am determined to refuse. At least, I'm determined to refuse to drink that nasty glucola. I'd rather monitor my blood sugars four times a day than drink that stuff even once. Blech!

I have been trying to figure out a good way all summer to tell folks at church that I'm pregnant. It's strange, but our structures just don't lend themselves to such an announcement. You'd think... But... Well, anyhow, there was an all-church picnic today and I just wore a really tight dress, and it finally became obvious, at least to some people. Enough that I think now it will percolate through the grapevine. LOL.

Do you have any travel plans coming up? I was just in Chicago with dd for a few days (about a 6-hour drive, plus stops) and I'm thinking about going back at the end of October when dh has a business trip there. He's got two nights at the Omni Hotel downtown, and that might just be too fun to pass up. But it's in another six weeks; I'll be just on the verge of my third trimester, and hoping that car travel is still comfortable for that long. I'd stay an extra couple of days to make the drive worth it -- we used to live there and still have lots of friends. I hate air travel even under the best of circumstances so being pregnant just makes it easy to say no. The train would be an option if it didn't roll through here in the middle of the night each way. Any thoughts?
#176 of 544 Old 09-15-2008, 10:50 AM

i need some advice for a friend of mine. a woman from my grief group is also ttc. she's 43 and is having very long cycles. she's 3 weeks late right now and definitely not pregnant. she is panicking and depressed, afraid she may be in perimenopause. she is desperate to have another child and is really struggling with this. are there any herbs or supplements she can take to put her cycle back on a better course??? is there *anything* she can do to make her cycles more regular??? did any of you struggle with this and successfully 'correct' it?? i did a lot of research in my own ttc journey but that wasn't part of it. i sure would appreciate any advice or information you guys have to offer. she is really down and needs some help. this on top of grief is just so depressing.

thanks for your help, everyone.

xoxoxo
erik and arthur's mommy
erika

41, 16 weeks 5 days via home insemination with known donor

^ look how the weeks are piling up!
#177 of 544 Old 09-15-2008, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Erika, I didn't have to do anything to correct my cycles because I was still ovulating normally and had a decent LP. But lots of the women on the 40+ TTC group have a lot more experience with this. You might try posting over there. Noordinaryspider had pretty wonky cycles and still managed to conceive at 42 with donor sperm. I'm sorry for your friend; that's a terrible situation to be in.
#178 of 544 Old 09-15-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneau View Post
Erika, I didn't have to do anything to correct my cycles because I was still ovulating normally and had a decent LP. But lots of the women on the 40+ TTC group have a lot more experience with this. You might try posting over there. Noordinaryspider had pretty wonky cycles and still managed to conceive at 42 with donor sperm. I'm sorry for your friend; that's a terrible situation to be in.
thanks for telling me that! i passed that information on to my friend. i want to be as encouraging as i can.

erik and arthur's mommy
erika

#179 of 544 Old 09-15-2008, 08:44 PM

what do you folks know about the safety of this? i want to go see my friend in los angeles in november. i'll be about 22-24 weeks at that point. is it safe to fly when you're pregnant??

erik and arthur's mommy
erika

#180 of 544 Old 09-15-2008, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

It's safe to travel when pregnant up to 30-something (I forget) weeks. BUT there's a greater risk of embolism (blood clot) and swelling in your legs and feet. If you are on the East Coast (are you?) that's a LONG flight. You would need to get up and walk around as much as you can to keep the blood flowing, and of course, make sure to stay hydrated and well-fed.

Theoretically, it's no problem. But I have never personally wanted to do anything to risk my pregnancies, they've been so precious. So I cross air travel off of my list during any trimester. Bus? Train? Auto? All yes, with the caveat that I stop and walk around often. But flying, no thanks. Of course, I hate air travel to begin with so it's kind of a no-brainer for me.

You might try posting this question on the "I'm Pregnant" board. I'm sure lots of mamas there travel by air all the time in pregnancy without even thinking about it. (The unmentionable VP candidate flew 10 hours at 36 weeks AFTER her water broke -- but then, she's done a lot of things I would never consider doing. )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page