Brewer's Diet - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 71 Old 11-08-2008, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good information, Joy.

In my case, I didn't have internal exams. My water broke two days past EDD with both babies. Labor did not start quickly with DS1. If I knew what I know now, I just would have waited to tell the doctor that my water broke. The second time labor started quickly, but I had the pre-E signs. I hope to take off work the week before my EDD this time. I own my own chiropractic practice, and time-off is easier said than done.

As for the 2600 calories/day, I really struggle there. I never feel like eating. It's a real chore. There are times where I feel like I'm starving, and I still can't think of anything I can tolerate. I've never had so much nausea in the third trimester, and I'm sure it's due to not eating frequently enough. Due to space in my stomach, I can't eat that much at once. My intention is not to complain, it's to turn this around! I want to have a great labor and delivery this time!

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#62 of 71 Old 11-08-2008, 09:49 PM

You're making me hungry, Christy!

If you do need to cut back on some eggs or milk products, for some temporary relief, I would suggest, just adding 2 more servings of some other kind of protein as a substitute for the eggs. The 2 main advantages of the eggs are that 1) the eggs provide the cheapest source of high-quality protein available in the store, and 2) the eggs provide high sources of vitamins, especially vitamin A, which helps to prevent bladder infections.

Organ meats are really not necessary on the Brewer Diet. You can get some ideas for many non-meat proteins from the two Vegetarian versions of the Brewer Diet....

http://home.mindspring.com/~djsnjones/id28.html

Just remember that preventing PE with protein (PLUS calories, PLUS salt) is a whole lot easier than trying to treat it with protein. I've had more than one mother that I've had on 17 eggs a day with 2 quarts of milk a day for at least 3 days, or as close as she could get to that. One mom was eating about 12 eggs a day for more than 3 days, I think, until it was finally time and she went into labor. Just hoping that this perspective might help the two eggs and one quart of milk look a little more doable?

Another thing to remember on the milk is that the 4 servings are only 1 cup each--some glasses that people have in their cupboards might hold more than 1 cup, so those people might be drinking more milk than they really have to. Also, there are several substitutes possible for 1 cup plain milk--like 1 cup yogurt and 1/4 cup cottage cheese--although I don't know if that helps at all with lactose intolerance issues? Maybe the 1/4 cup cottage cheese would take up less volume at least?

Joy

RN, wife, mother, midwife's assistant, webmaster
#63 of 71 Old 11-08-2008, 09:49 PM

I'm still here and have actually been able to do dairy now!!!! I can get raw milk from grass fed cows and think all of the good bacteria and enzymes have made it easier for me to tolerate a bit of pasturized dairy. Plus I have been working on healing my gut for a while and many more things are easier for me to tolerate now:

Lately, I have began to swell a bit but no other symptoms. I am adding other things like spirulina, potassium, raw beets, etc. according to Susan Weed.

But I do have to admit that on occassion I have slipped up and eaten some really crappy food. After listening to my hypnobabies CDs I WANT to eat better all of the time and I really need to get more water.

Does anyone have a link to a really good nutrional site for tracking what you eat? I also get milk kefir into my diet and fermented foods but I'm pretty darned sure none of the diet trackers include those types of foods

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#64 of 71 Old 11-08-2008, 10:17 PM

Jojo, I am very interested in what you have learned about raw milk helping with lactose intolerance! Can you please tell more about that?

Jr's mom, I hear you about the chiropractic work and working for yourself. I go to a chiropractor/naprapath/acupuncturist on a regular basis, and I am amazed by the physicality of her job, and often think about the hard labor of doing that kind of work all day every day.

On the lack of appetite issue, do you think that possibly eating something every hour might help with that--as in possibly eating a handful of something every time a client leaves--or when you have no clients, setting an egg timer for an hour at a time?

I can relate to you on the nausea in the third trimester, and on not being able to think of what to eat next. One suggestion that I have is to make up a tray of goodies at the beginning of the day to store in the refrigerator and snack from all day--a tray that could include 2 eggs fixed in some attractive form, cheese cubes, baby carrots, broccoli, green pepper strips, baked potato cubes, small tomatos, almonds, nut-butter sandwich pieces, etc. That way, you don't have to think about it all day--just look at the tray and see what appeals to you at the moment--1 protein item plus 1 other item every hour.

Another suggestion is to print out a copy of the Brewer Diet checklist from my website and post it on your refrigerator every week (one person also suggested laminating one so that you can just wipe it clean every week)--no protein counters or calorie counters required--only check marks. The nice part about using the checklist in this way is that as the day progresses you will see which food groups you're missing and pick a snack from those food groups--also less thinking required.

http://home.mindspring.com/~djsnjones/id89.html

I would also like to issue a caution about water intake, especially during the last trimester when the stomach gets so crowded that it's difficult to get any amount of food in. My caution is to take care to not take up too much of that precious space with a substance that contains no calories, no protein, and no nutrients, and see how much of your needed fluids you can get from foods and fluids with nutrients in them.

http://home.mindspring.com/~djsnjones/id71.html

I would also like to issue a caution about using some herbs during pregnancy. Some herbs, while they have excellent nutritive qualities, may also have diuretic properties and might cause a fall in the blood volume, which might trigger some extra edema and a rising BP. This page tells more about my views on that.

http://home.mindspring.com/~djsnjones/id86.html

Joy

#65 of 71 Old 11-09-2008, 01:30 AM

I didn't belong to this DDC when this thread was posted, but I am glad for the chance to get caught up on it. I had pre-e with my first two pregnancies and have seriously been trying to prevent it this time. I also had really bad MS with both of them. My studies have shown that both can be prevented with a high protein diet. I have done much better this time, but not perfect. The MS was not as bad because I was eating more frequently and trying to get more protein. Unfortunately during that stage, things with protein make me nauseous and even the thought makes me ill. I know that my general diet has been better too. So far no signs of pre-e though. I am hoping it continues that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr'smom View Post
I'm really hoping plenty of protein will keep my water from breaking first this time. Labor has started with my water breaking with both of my babies.
One way to strengthen your bag is by taking 500IUs of Vitamin E daily.

Comforts of Home Midwifery

#66 of 71 Old 11-09-2008, 02:35 AM

Thank you Joy.

I did read earlier about the diuretic herbs and had not heard about the warnings before.

For *me*, I was unable to tolerate ANY form of dairy be it butter, yogurt, milk, from a cow or a goat- just didn't agree with me on so many levels. For a while I really wanted to try raw milk and finally did it. Drank one cup and waited the whole day, nothing, not a single reaction! Since then I have been getting it on a regular basis without any reactions.

Personally, I attribute the different between the milks to the fact that one product is pasturized/hemogenized and the other isn't. One has absolutely no bacteria or enzymes, has *added* stuff like vit D, and is from sick cows. The raw on the other hand has all of the good bacteria and enzymes that it was supposed to have in the first place, all of the natural nutrients and fat that was supposed to be in it, and is from happy healthy cows. It is still a whole food, not disected and processed.

I just want to add that I was also doing things like CLO, fermented foods, probiotics in the form of kombucha, milk kefir, water kefir, & the occassional pill, no gluten/limited alternative grains, etc. the list goes on. BUT, I did notice a difference with the first glass of raw milk. This has been *my* experience and from reading on here know that raw milk does not "fix" a dairy allergy or intolerance.

#67 of 71 Old 11-09-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockportmidwife View Post
One way to strengthen your bag is by taking 500IUs of Vitamin E daily.
Cool. Didn't know that. I was taking Vit. E to help thin my blood a little to see if that would help with the headaches I was having. It's weird, but since I stopped taking Floradix (because I was away from home for a week and it doesn't travel well), I stopped getting the headaches. It might be a coincidence, or perhaps there is an additive in there that I'm sensitive to. I don't know, but I switched to black strap molasses pills for iron. I'll get back on the vit. E to help with my water not breaking.

Maybe I'm so full from supplements that I don't feel like eating, huh?

Good idea about preparing healthy food in advance. I had been using that checklist for a while and I will start again today. I also got a trail mix with a lot of nuts and some dried cranberries to eat throughout the day.

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#68 of 71 Old 11-09-2008, 10:39 PM

I've never had pre-e, but I do get inconsistent BP readings for I figured the diet can't hurt. Except I can't eat liver and I'm running out of ideas for spinach.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
#69 of 71 Old 11-09-2008, 10:50 PM

I've been eating spinach quick sauteed in EVOO with onion powder, garlic powder, Mrs. Dash and a little sea salt for 4 weeks straight - I can't get enough of it!!!! That's pretty much the only palatable spinach dish for me, except for spinach pie, but that's made with too much cheese and fat for my gestational diabetes.
#70 of 71 Old 11-10-2008, 01:41 PM

Just FYI.........

The liver component of the Brewer Diet is optional, in my opinion.

Also, there are at least 7 other foods listed in the same food group as spinach (Group 5 "Fresh, Dark Green Vegetables"): broccoli, brussel sprouts, greens (collard, turnip, beet, mustard, dandelion, kale), romaine lettuce, endive, asparagus, sprouts (bean, alfalfa). So I don't know if that helps or not....

(That spinach recipe sounds pretty tasty, by the way!)

And the topic of gestational diabetes is another whole interesting topic. In my opinion, and in the opinion of Henci Goer and Dr. Michel Odent, among others, the diagnosis of GD is quite likely a problem with a faulty test, rather than a problem with a pregnant body misbehaving. If anyone is interested, they can check out my page on that topic as well....

http://home.mindspring.com/~djsnjones/id33.html

So I highly recommend that all pregnant women studiously avoid the GTT test and request the Hemoglobin A1C test instead, if your care-giver wants to use some kind of screening test.

It is also quite possible that the human placenta has some very good reasons for putting several mechanisms into motion to elevate the pregnant blood sugar levels to be higher than the non-pregnant blood sugar levels. Perhaps we need to judge the pregnant body's blood sugar level with different criteria than we judge that of the non-pregnant body (ie what's normal for a pregnant body is higher than what's normal for the non-pregnant body)?

Joy

#71 of 71 Old 11-10-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnjones View Post

It is also quite possible that the human placenta has some very good reasons for putting several mechanisms into motion to elevate the pregnant blood sugar levels to be higher than the non-pregnant blood sugar levels. Perhaps we need to judge the pregnant body's blood sugar level with different criteria than we judge that of the non-pregnant body (ie what's normal for a pregnant body is higher than what's normal for the non-pregnant body)?

Joy
Exactly, it drives me batty that they(doctors) compare us(pregnant women) to non-pregnant women. There are soooo many differences, the main one being we are growing another human in our bodies!!! There are bound to be differences in everything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page