Brewer's Diet - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-16-2008, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://nutrition.birthingnaturally.n...01/brewer.html

Anyone else following it?

I ended up with pre-e starting at 32 weeks with our son. My 24 hour urine and bp went to crap at 34 weeks and I got to spend 4 weeks in bed (all of June '04). When he was born he ended up in the NICU for a week, at home on oxygen for 5 more weeks, and he is asthmatic. We think his breathing difficulties (we are 100% sure he was 38 weeks) where due to the placenta not doing a good enough job due to the pre-e.
anyway, obviously we do not want to have this experience again. I'm desperate to avoid it.
Anyone else following it? Anyone had success in the past???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2008, 07:19 PM

That's similar to the WAPF guidelines, but man, how do you get 4 quarts of milk down? I stopped it completely for the moment...
Old 05-16-2008, 07:22 PM

Wow. Those links blew my mind! I have dabbled in Traditional Foods in the past, but I hadn't looked on that site again since I was pregnant. Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-16-2008, 07:47 PM

I loosely followed it for DS. Mostly I made sure I was getting adequate protein, and I think it really helped. I gained a normal amount of weight and had good blood pressure the whole time etc.

The diet is a bit heavy on dairy and eggs for my taste, but other that I'd say it's sound nutritional advice (I have a MS in nutrition). Some days during the first trimester it's really hard though - esp when I dont feel like eating anything but french fries .

Mommy to DS1 5/07 and DS2 1/09 , wife to an awesome hubby. And someone new coming in March!
Old 05-16-2008, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietserena View Post
That's similar to the WAPF guidelines, but man, how do you get 4 quarts of milk down? I stopped it completely for the moment...
For SURE that is the hardest part, although on other sites it says 4 CUPS not quarts . I won't be doing the liver...bad childhood memories on that one

I drink chocolate soy milk (I cannot stand milk itself), you can substitute cheese for the milk but you can't also count it as your second protein, that's tricky.
Tonight we're having taco soup with black, pinto, and kidney beans. I also use a lot of pasta (which also has a lot of protein). My other "trick" to get it all in one meal is homemade mac-n-cheese with Barilla Plus pasta (that brand is awesome, it tastes great and it is packed with extra nutrition). I'll share the recipe if anyone wants it.

It IS heavy on eggs, but I figure 2 is doable most days. I also eat a lot of oat meal.

I'm pretty determined to stay on it. I'm not having any caffeine (outside of the soy milk) or fried foods. I really want this pregnancy to go better then my last two...
Old 05-16-2008, 08:16 PM

I have no problems with eggs most days. I get about 3 a day, some days more. I'm a little squicked by them atm but we'll see how things go.

I don't do soy because I'm deficient in minerals as it is and soy has lots of phytic acid and in soy it's really hard to get rid of. It binds to minerals in your digestive system and makes them unavailable to you. I'm already taking extra stuff so I'd have enough for both my kiddos (planning on tandem) and last thing I need is to get more deficient. If I were doing the Brewers thing, I'd go for raw milk, or kefir or yogurt smoothies. But a whole gallon a day, I don't think that'd fly hehe. Swimming in milk!

It does seem like a good diet though. I do feel like a lot of people don't get enough protein in pregnancy. A lot of cravings are for carby foods. I myself have wanted nothing but baked potatoes and bananas for days!
Old 05-16-2008, 11:30 PM

Wow! That's a lot of dairy!! My DS is allergic to dairy protein, so I've been diary free for the last 10 months (still nursing). I wonder how I would make that up... I already take a hefty calcium supplement.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:32 PM

You know, in one of the traditional eating books, they recommend drinking coconut milk with dolomite instead of milk.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:35 AM

I can't follow any of these diets because I am a vegetarian, and well, organ meets are not on my top 10 list. I did use the protein guidelines with my last PG and I found them very helpful in gaining tremendous amounts of weight for the boys. They were both over 6lbs, and born at 38 weeks.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:17 AM

That first link says 4 quarts, but later in the same paragraph says 4 servings - and a serving of milk is a cup/8 oz. Keep in mind 4 quarts of milk would be a GALLON of milk per day - so I'm pretty sure they meant cups.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietserena View Post
I started this morning with 2 eggs and 2 cups of "pet" milk. I took my cod oil and spread my toast with coconut oil and I have to say I feel great. Usually I woke up and I feel queasy and have to really will myself to eat however once I got it down I felt good and I mean I am up and moving and grooving.

I am a veggy so I dont think I will eat any organ meat and I may add back in salmon and a little fish but I must say only day 1 thanks for posting this. I feel really better and it only day 1.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

http://home.mindspring.com/~djsnjones/id28.html

Here is a link to the vegetarian/lacto-ovo version of the diet for those of you wanting to do it but need it modified :
Old 05-17-2008, 02:18 PM

laurelg, you are correct--the Basic Plan of the Brewer Diet does not call for 4 quarts of milk. It calls for 4 servings of milk, and each serving is one cup. One cup of yogurt or 1/4 cup of cottage cheese can be substituted for each one cup of milk.

The Brewer recommendations for higher levels of milk intake are reserved for special situations, like multiples or rising BP or pre-eclampsia or IUGR.

For those who may like to have an easy-to-use chart to print and put on your refrigerator, I just added one to the website yesterday....

http://home.mindspring.com/~djsnjones/id89.html

In addition to the lacto-ovo version of the Brewer Diet, as posted by leogirl above, there is also the vegan version of the Brewer Diet (unfortunately, I have no vegetarian refrigerator-charts yet--but soon)......

http://home.mindspring.com/~djsnjones/id26.html

Joy :-)

RN, wife, mother, midwife's assistant, webmaster
Old 05-18-2008, 12:17 AM

Thanks for these charts. I went to the Farmer's Market today to stock up on some WAP/brewer's diet friendly foods and I am telling you this is keeping the carb monster away. I was able to attend a birthday party today and did not even crave birthday cake. This is big for me because as soon as I became pregnant I craved high carbs and eventhough this is only day 2 it has helped alot..

I am off to print my chart off oh I love to check stuff off you know us list makers check marks make us sooo happy.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyma5 View Post
I started this morning with 2 eggs and 2 cups of "pet" milk. I took my cod oil and spread my toast with coconut oil and I have to say I feel great. Usually I woke up and I feel queasy and have to really will myself to eat however once I got it down I felt good and I mean I am up and moving and grooving.

I am a veggy so I dont think I will eat any organ meat and I may add back in salmon and a little fish but I must say only day 1 thanks for posting this. I feel really better and it only day 1.
Hey good for you.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:41 PM

I had pre-e w/DS that ended in an induction at 35 weeks (instead of my planned UC). I mostly just plan on making sure I get enough protein so it doesn't happen again. I'll follow a stricter diet if it starts to show up, but I think adequate protein in general should be enough to keep it away this time.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
Old 05-18-2008, 11:43 PM

Since you've had PE before, I recommend that you not wait for the usual first signs. Here is some information about the earliest first sign--a rising hematocrit. So I recommend that you see if your care giver can test your hematocrit with every visit, so that you can see this sign early, if it happens.

http://www.naturalchildbirth.org/mam...id=44&Itemid=3

I also recommend that you treat any vomiting or diarrhea pretty aggressively, since those kinds of upsets can cause your blood volume to drop, thus possibly triggering a PE process. The bottom of this page has some suggestions for that and some Brewer Diet adjustments that can help prevent a fall in blood volume from various lifestyle issues, such as hot weather or extra exercise.

http://home.mindspring.com/~djsnjones/id89.html

I also recommend that you avoid all herbal diuretics....

http://home.mindspring.com/~djsnjones/id86.html

...and make sure that you get plenty of salt, and a minimum of 2600 calories a day.

http://home.mindspring.com/~djsnjones/id70.html

As you may know already, the amount of salt and calories that you get is just as important as the amount of protein that you get, in the prevention of pre-eclampsia.

Best wishes,
Joy

Old 05-19-2008, 02:19 PM

I just finished posting the two vegetarian refrigerator-checklist charts.

Here's the lacto-ovo chart....

http://home.mindspring.com/~djsnjones/id90.html

Here's the vegan chart....

http://home.mindspring.com/~djsnjones/id91.html

Best wishes,
Joy

Old 05-19-2008, 04:17 PM

Joy you rock girlfriend!

I am telling you that the only things I can tolerate are the things on this food list.

I found some really good amish made pickles which were fermented WAP style and I have been eating them by the droves.

Thanks for some more ideas on the protein side. Does anyone have any recommendation for good quality protein powders to add to milk.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:00 PM

there are so many schools of thought around diet & pregancy & the original version of this diet seems so excessive to me (and contrary to other things i've read - e.g. not to eat liver) that i just don't feel in my gut i'd follow any such thing.

i'm vegetarian and the vegie and vegan versions look more reasonable.

but mostly i am following my body. i really do trust it and it has not wanted excessive protein right now.

mostly it has wanted very fresh fruits & vegies.

anyone else out there just trusting their bodies?

DD 12/08
Old 05-19-2008, 05:50 PM

Thanks, crunchyma!

I would also like to offer that the Brewers did not recommend using protein powders in pregnancy, unless someone is carrying triplets or quadruplets and having a difficult time keeping up with the nutritional needs of that situation. The following page has a couple of answers which explain the reasons for this.

http://home.mindspring.com/~djsnjones/id13.html

I would like to add a possibly interesting side note too. There is apparently a study involving protein powders in pregnancy which the Brewer-opponents often try to use against us. It was apparently done or reviewed by the Cochran Review, and it allegedly showed that babies on the Brewer levels of protein turned out to be smaller than average. But the people doing the study apparently used protein powders to give the levels of protein that they thought were duplicating the Brewer levels. Who knows what quality of protein was in those powders and what the source of that protein was?!

What that study says to me is two things....One is that it's better to use real food for our protein intake in pregnancy, rather than protein powders. The other is that we should be very cautious about trusting mainstream studies which claim to disprove the Brewer perspective. From what I have seen, it seems that mainstream researchers often mis-understand the Brewer description of how and why his diet works, and they often mis-use pieces of the diet or the Brewer anti-pre-eclampsia treatments, when they attempt to reproduce the results that he and other researchers like him got. Then when they get different results, they believe that they've disproven that theory, when all that they've done is conducted a poorly designed study.

You can see more about the protein powder issue and the mis-use of them in this study(ies) here...

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/nutrition.asp

Also, for everyone who has trouble with the liver-factor, please note that that entry on the chart has an asterisk and that I've added that the liver is optional. :-)

Joy

Old 05-19-2008, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

djsnjones,
Thank you so much for the charts and extra info

I am going to send the links to my hubby and have him print it off for me.

As far as the diet goes in being extreme I can see where one would think that. However, based on my past experience actually having pre-e and knowing the risks involved I don't think trying to prevent it, starting now, can hurt anything. I don't want myself, or my baby, to go through that again. It was awful. I felt terrible, it was a horrible inconvenience to everyone in my and my husband's family, and the risks from it are very real and scary. If I had never had pre-e I don't know what I'd think about a diet that wants you to get so much protein but I have and if it will help I'm all for it. I think you still have to be conscientious about where you get your protein. I think balance is important, to eat a varied diet of high protein foods..nuts, dairy, broccoli, meats. I don't eat liver, and won't follow that part, so no real comment there lol. I think, as with everything, everyone has to follow what makes them happy and comfortable. For me, it's Brewer's, and it isn't as much about trusting my body or not trusting it as it is trying very hard to make sure that I do everything I can to avoid crappy blood pressures, protein in my urine, and bed rest.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:54 PM

There is also sometimes a bit of a misconception about how much protein is involved and how much of that needs to be from meat.

As you can see from the two veggie diet plans, none of it needs to be from meat, and a person could also mix-and-match, using some animal proteins and some non-animal proteins.

But for those who do eat meat, each serving in this version of the Brewer Diet is only 1 oz in size. The usual serving size that people are familiar with from the Department of Agriculture, I believe, is 3 oz in size. A 3 oz serving of meat is about the size of a deck of cards. Therefore, a 1 oz serving of meat on the chart from my website is about the size of 1/3 of a deck of cards.

There is often some confusion about this because the first book from the Brewers used the 3 oz size for the meats--and it recommended 2 servings from the "Protein" food group (2 times 3 oz = 6 oz of meat proteins or their equivalent), in addition to the servings of milk and eggs. And this is the size that is used by the official Bradley website. But the later Brewer books called for 1 oz servings and 6-8 servings of meat proteins or their equivalent.

On my website I have gone with the later Brewer way of doing this calculation, because it seems to me that by doing that, all the protein servings, from all sources, have about the same number of grams of protein in them, and it seems more standardized to me.

But I do think that this discrepancy between the earlier book (and the Bradley way), and the later books and some websites (like mine), does lead to some confusion for the pregnant moms, and their care-givers at times too.

Joy

Old 05-19-2008, 07:08 PM

That makes total sense Joy!

It just means I need to stock more nuts and seeds and lentils on hand because I am telling you as soon as I feel that first sign of nausea I eat something on my list and immediately I am better and actually have energy.

I know what you mean about the pre-e thing my last daughter was born at 37 weeks 8lbs 3oz. I was miserable labor was miserable the whole pregnancy was miserable and looking back it was because I ate terribly. I gave into my carb craving ate what I wanted ate. Did not eat nutrient dense foods. This just makes so much sense.

Making a grocery list now to keep good quality real food on hand!
Old 05-19-2008, 07:25 PM

Yes, I agree, crunchyma. That is actually like one of the remedies for morning sickness that I have been telling pregnant women for a lot of years. I believe that one of the major components of morning sickeness is low blood sugar. One of these days I will post my morning sickness suggestions on the website but for now I don't have the time.

Joy

Old 05-19-2008, 07:28 PM

Anybody know something good to substitue the eggs with? We can only afford to get a dozen every 2 weeks or so, which would only give me 1 egg a day for 12 of the 14 days out of those 2 weeks. Any ideas? (Not to mention I'm not too hot on eggs, anyway.)

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
Old 05-19-2008, 07:43 PM

I don't know where you live, so I don't know what is available to you....But I'm wondering if some of these options might work for you....

--Are there any stores that might sell eggs for lower prices--like Aldi's or Sam's Club, or one of these new stores that sell items that are slightly out-dated?

--Are there any farmers near you who might sell eggs for lower prices?

--Are there any food co-ops near you who might have eggs for lower prices?

The reason that I ask is that the reason that Brewer recommends the eggs is...

1) They are a pretty complete food. They have the egg white which is very much like the albumin that your body needs to make to expand your blood volume.

Also, the egg yolk has a lot of vitamins in it, including a high level of vitamin A, which goes a long ways towards preventing bladder infections for the mother in pregnancy.

2) The eggs and milk are the least costly sources of high-quality proteins available in most stores.

So I'm not sure if there is a substitute that would have all the advantages that eggs have, and I'm wondering if another way to tackle the problem might be to find a way to get eggs at a cheaper rate.

If you had to choose between eating less meat or less eggs, budget-wise, my suggestion would be to go with less meat. :-)

But having said all of that, I think that 12 eggs is certainly better than no eggs! :-)

Joy :-)

Old 05-19-2008, 08:15 PM

Well, the problem is actually probably that we're picky about our eggs. lol Grass-fed free-range eggs have a lot more nutrients in them than the cheap like, $1.99/dozen eggs you can buy at the grocery store. We get our eggs from a local farmer (the same place we get our yummy raw milk), but it's $4/dozen, which is the same we'd pay for organic eggs at the grocery store.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Tiffani and anyone else

you can look up all your local options http://www.localharvest.org/
maybe you can find a more doable price that way???
Old 05-19-2008, 10:10 PM

i had terrible pre-e with my dd. i had a cesarean at 35 weeks when my bp spiked. i will talk to my midwife about diet when i see her. when i talked to her before i got pregnant (about 3 days before ) she mentioned the 2 eggs a day thing. that's gonna be hard because too many eggs make me nauseated but i'm sure we can be creative.

Mummy to dd (Jan 13, '07) born by emergency c-section at 35 weeks due to severe pre-e  :ribboncesarean.gif and ds (Jan 30 '09) :hbac.gif and stork-suprise.gif    (06/11)

User Tag List