Homebirthing in January - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 69 Old 06-25-2008, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmagoo View Post
I'm lucky in that I live in Ontario where MW are licenced, regulated by the College of Midwives of Ontario, are allowed to attend homebirths and are covered by provincial health insurance.
Oh, man! You ARE lucky! We're doing it out-of-pocket. It will be a big burden--we've only ever spent more money on buying a house! It's pretty maddening to have insurance but not be able to use it for the birth that you want (and that would cost the insurance companies WAY less!).
#62 of 69 Old 06-26-2008, 08:55 AM

Ever since dd1s birth, I've thought about a homebirth if we were to ever have more. So, I've been contemplating the idea for a while. We are interviewing 2 midwives this week!

Dh has slowly been introduced to the idea with my random comments and musings. When he comes into my office and I'm on mdc, he'll ask what I'm reading about - which is often homebirth. The other night, I asked him if he would consider a homebirth and he said the idea would take some getting used to. So, he's open to the idea!

Now, we need to learn and research and make some decisions.
I may be here more =)
#63 of 69 Old 06-26-2008, 01:04 PM

I am trying to be patient here. I have placenta previa at the moment, and until it moves, I have to have an OB. I am really hoping at my 18 week ultrasound (in 5 weeks, yeah!) will show that it has moved at least some, and then maybe I can start dual care, and when it has completely moved I can just go with my midwife. I am a planner and this wait and see thing is killing me.
#64 of 69 Old 06-26-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarn View Post
I am trying to be patient here. I have placenta previa at the moment, and until it moves, I have to have an OB. I am really hoping at my 18 week ultrasound (in 5 weeks, yeah!) will show that it has moved at least some, and then maybe I can start dual care, and when it has completely moved I can just go with my midwife. I am a planner and this wait and see thing is killing me.

I wouldn't stress even if it shows previa at 18 weeks. it's previa past 27 weeks that won't change.

At my 18 week US I have full placental previa covering the entire cervix, at 27 weeks when they did the scan I just had low lying placenta. My midwives don't even worry about it until it's past 27 weeks.

Good luck and I hope this helps a little for you
#65 of 69 Old 06-26-2008, 06:02 PM

It's funny to see there is another Laurel on this forum who is due on the same day as I am (1/10/09), though I am quite a bit older at 42!

I'm currently living in Spain and we are happy to be planning a home birth, as the hospitals here are awful in terms of birth procedures. Everything is very medicalised and they insist on women birthing on their backs with their legs in stirrups. No wonder there is a 97% episiotomy rate! There is only one birthing center in the entire country, and it's a three-hour drive, so I'm doing all I can to stay at home for it.
#66 of 69 Old 06-26-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorifera View Post
It's funny to see there is another Laurel on this forum who is due on the same day as I am (1/10/09), though I am quite a bit older at 42!
Hey, you're only as old as you think you are!

I can't believe you guys have a 97% episiotomy rate! That is out of control!
#67 of 69 Old 06-28-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorifera View Post
Everything is very medicalised and they insist on women birthing on their backs with their legs in stirrups. No wonder there is a 97% episiotomy rate! There is only one birthing center in the entire country, and it's a three-hour drive, so I'm doing all I can to stay at home for it.
OMG!! I had no idea! Go, home birth!!!

So I had a long phone conversation with a doula who I think is going to be perfect for us. I'm just waiting to talk with my midwife about her, though the doula said they'd worked together before and got along very well. She has lots of experience, and seems to be on the same page as me philosophically, which makes me feel good. So, inching closer...compiling the birth team...still visualizing!
#68 of 69 Old 07-02-2008, 05:12 PM

I had my first meeting with my midwife today, the same one I used for ds's birth. I loved getting all the little handouts!

I had this great memory of going down the list of homebirthing supplies and making calls to friends and family to help me gather them: my nurse sister stole chux pad and bulb syringes from her hospital, my mom brought up two sets of "ugly" sheets when she came to visit me, I borrowed a college-friend's crock pot, a knitting friend had her birth pool all ready just in case I wanted to use it... I know we're pretty far out, but I'm getting excited about the nesting!!!
#69 of 69 Old 07-03-2008, 09:49 AM

I just want to say how thankful I am for this thread.....I live in a small town where NO ONE does homebirths, no one BF's past a couple months, no one uses slings or practices GD........ And here I am smack dab in the middle of it, a hippie planning an Unnassisted homebirth. I have so many little wonders and doubts and worries and questions, plus all the excited stuff as well...... glad to have like-minded mama's to discuss it all with!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page