Expecting in January(ish) Knitters? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
1  2  3 4 
January 2009 > Expecting in January(ish) Knitters?
HoneyTree's Avatar HoneyTree 10:50 PM 09-09-2008
Melissa, that little set is ADORABLE! I love me some HPY (Leery, it's an acronym for Handpainted Yarn, found here...).

mamasthree's Avatar mamasthree 10:59 PM 09-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by leerypolyp View Post
Wait, what's HPY? And what longies pattern is that, mamasthree?
HPY=handpaintedyarn.com

The pattern is the perfection pants pattern, with a 1x1 ribbed waist in a needle size 3 smaller than the rest of the pants.
mamasthree's Avatar mamasthree 11:04 PM 09-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyTree View Post
Melissa, that little set is ADORABLE! I love me some HPY (Leery, it's an acronym for Handpainted Yarn, found here...).

too funny--cross posted....I love, love their bulky merino. I tend to be a looser knitter, so it works as more of a heavy worsted for me. It is just so soft and surprisingly durable for merino.

I've got some 3IG coming from the MDC co-op--I can't wait to knit more nb longies with it!!
leerypolyp's Avatar leerypolyp 06:00 PM 09-10-2008
OH! I love handpainted yarn! So soft!

How's it hold up in longies? I made a sweater out of it which tends to felt and fuzz, but those might actually be desirable qualities in longies.
caiesmommy's Avatar caiesmommy 12:41 PM 09-12-2008
Ive finished

hat
mitts
booties
pants
all in white

hat
booties
in multi color sock yarn

NOW im TRYING a sleep bag, but it seems like its going to take forever and I really need to get onto my holiday knitting b4 its too late!
mfrykas's Avatar mfrykas 03:09 PM 09-12-2008
Been hanging out here for a while and not posting....

FINALLY finished the baby blanket I was making for my sister, now its time for my baby!!!

Planned projects: wool longies, tie jacket, hat and socks. I knit slow and don't have much time, so that's alot for me.

Anyway, Knitty has a cool baby blanket featured in thier fall newsletter. You can see it here: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall08/PATTopart.html

Michele
LoganBsMom's Avatar LoganBsMom 09:58 AM 09-20-2008
I am just wondering if anyone has made a nice warm blanket for baby, what did you use? I usually do baby blankets out of acrylic, I don't love it by it is practical. We keep our house very cool at night in the winter, and I am thinking a wool or alpaca blanket to bundle baby in might be a good idea. I know all the "rules" about babies sleeping with blankets etc. I plan on keeping her swaddled, and want an additional layer tucked around to keep her warm.

Anyway, any good warm, soft, wool reccomedations for a blanket? Thanks!
caiesmommy's Avatar caiesmommy 08:10 PM 09-20-2008
I just bought a 70% wool, 30% soy which is quite warm...would be quite expensive to do a blanket in

Im making leggings right now, for the same reason(our house is very drafty and i want baby extra warm!!)
iowaorganic's Avatar iowaorganic 08:15 PM 09-20-2008
I have no idea how much yarn it would take to do a blanket out of. But alpaca I would be hesitant about because the fibers kinda shed (although I am going to make a coverup shawl out of it anyway ) I guess I am hesitant to do anything that I will probably want to machine wash that isn't machine washable- I don't know- maybe it isn't really an issue. I was thinking about knitting one out of knitpicks shine- but that is really just a super soft cotton- so maybe not the thing you want. I would almost go with dk pf- cause you can pretty much throw that stuff in the washer. not the softest alternative- but easy to maintain.
iowaorganic's Avatar iowaorganic 10:52 PM 09-24-2008
This is my completed (well except for buttons) peapod- it went so quick once I got onto the chart reading! I used knitpicks shine sport in leapfrog.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24745581@N07/2885690345/

These are my cable butt longies from buttknits- the yarn is chickie masla pf. I added the slightly cabled cuff.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2474558...n/photostream/
caiesmommy's Avatar caiesmommy 12:20 AM 09-25-2008
[QUOTE=iowaorganic;12253048]These are my cable butt longies from buttknits- the yarn is chickie masla pf. I added the slightly cabled cuff.

Those are ADORABLE...LOVE the cable details!
Meg08's Avatar Meg08 07:09 PM 09-26-2008
I don't know how I missed this a few months ago when I was looking for soaker patterns/advice. Can I join? I've been so tired with this pregnancy and find I need a lot of down time at the end of the day. What better to do than knit! Even taught myself to crocket (again - can't seem to remember that one!). And, because I can't stick to just one project at a time, I have a few on the go ... 2 sweater/hat/mitt/bootie sets (1 for a girl, 1 for a boy, since we dont' know which it will be), a second blue sweater, 2 blankets and a few soakers. Everythign is started. Nothing is finished. And looking through this thread I now must add to that list! What great ideas out there!
HoneyTree's Avatar HoneyTree 12:09 AM 09-28-2008
Iowa, as always, your stuff is stunning!

I abandoned my Baby Surprise Jacket, frogged it, and started this little sweater.

Also, I'm still working on the Peace Fleece Itchy Fingers longies, though I'm very, very loosely following the pattern at this point!
iowaorganic's Avatar iowaorganic 05:45 PM 09-28-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyTree View Post
Iowa, as always, your stuff is stunning!

I abandoned my Baby Surprise Jacket, frogged it, and started this little sweater.

Also, I'm still working on the Peace Fleece Itchy Fingers longies, though I'm very, very loosely following the pattern at this point!

Thanks!

Cute pattern! I have never been that in love with the BSJ.... I don't know- it just hasn't called out to me and I saw a neat on at my LYS out of tofootsies even. Still didn't love it enough.... The longies will be cute too!
alaskaberry's Avatar alaskaberry 10:03 AM 09-29-2008
Anyone know of a good pattern for a hooded baby sweater?A friend of mine is due 5 days after me and I want to make one for her baby (and possibly mine, lol).
acory23's Avatar acory23 11:49 AM 09-29-2008
On a whim I stopped in at the craft store and bought purple and green yarn. I wanted to make something cute but didnt know what. I just loved the colors and the feel of the yarn... so I went online and looked around a bit and found this:

http://randomstitches.wordpress.com/...1/hello-world/

And now I am almost done with the hat and am inspired to make a whole outfit (romper, booties, mittens) to go with the hat!!
caiesmommy's Avatar caiesmommy 10:51 AM 09-30-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaberry View Post
Anyone know of a good pattern for a hooded baby sweater?A friend of mine is due 5 days after me and I want to make one for her baby (and possibly mine, lol).
My grandma made my ds one frm Bernat..super easy, I grabbed the pattern off the shelf in the yarn dept(im sure if you looked on there site it would be there)....I'm actually thinking of making matching ones for ds and baby thats coming...the only thing is I don't have any idea on colors.

other then that I'm REALLY running out of ideas..I had started a really nice sleep sack and then canned it since I already have 2 sleep sacks and don't want to spend all that time knitting another!...I've done 2 hats, 2 pairs of mitts, 3 pairs of booties, a pair of pants

WHATS LEFT?...help mamas!
mamasthree's Avatar mamasthree 12:31 PM 10-01-2008
It's so fun to see what everyone has been working on--the weather has gotten cooler here lately and that makes me want to knit even more!

I just finished a quick newborn hat to go with the longies I made recently.

I want to do a kimono type sweater and matching ear flap hat...just trying to decide if I want to use stash yarn or wait on my 3 Irish Girls from the MDC coop to arrive.

I'm also working on other things for the rest of the family...too many girls to knit for! But the newborn stuff really goes fast, so it is easy to start something new and finish it pretty quickly.
Jojo F.'s Avatar Jojo F. 03:56 PM 10-01-2008
I have all this pretty yarn but can only knit for like 2 minute intervals. My hands go numb and then get VERY painful I can barely make a fist right now. It will take me forever to get anything done!!!
Jojo F.'s Avatar Jojo F. 03:58 PM 10-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by acory23 View Post
On a whim I stopped in at the craft store and bought purple and green yarn. I wanted to make something cute but didnt know what. I just loved the colors and the feel of the yarn... so I went online and looked around a bit and found this:

http://randomstitches.wordpress.com/...1/hello-world/

And now I am almost done with the hat and am inspired to make a whole outfit (romper, booties, mittens) to go with the hat!!

Oh!! I'm in !!!! That is the sweetest little hat. I think I could that done in about a week at the rate I'm going
caiesmommy's Avatar caiesmommy 11:25 AM 10-07-2008
I've just started the Debbie Bliss ballarina crossover top frm her family knits book...but in a Bernet thin baby yarn..makes me sad, I love Debbie Bliss but I only know of one place around me that sells it(over an hour away!) and at 12 bucks a ball, for atleast three balls, then the gas to get there! just can't afford it!

We're having to go away this weekend about two hours drive, so im thinking I can get the sweater done this week!...then im planning on making some pants to go with it!
Jojo F.'s Avatar Jojo F. 06:11 PM 10-12-2008
With numb fingers I finally finished my very first wool soaker!!!!!: Right now I'm working on a contrasting color i-cord but when I'm done I'll post a pic I still may decide to add cuffs to it.

My next project is going to be that darling newborn hat that was posted earlier. But mine is going to be red and then I'm going to felt a cute little poppy flower and sew that on
caiesmommy's Avatar caiesmommy 11:49 AM 10-20-2008
So with all this crappy bedrest stuff I made:

a hat(fluffy green yarn! super small and cute!)
finished the debbie bliss crossover sweater(in off white)
finished a pair of pants(in the same off white)

Now I have to make a hat, booties, possibly some mitts in the same off white(whatever I have enough for)

started a pair of slippers for ds for xmas one done(in the same fluffly green yarn as babys hat)
acory23's Avatar acory23 12:17 PM 10-20-2008
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acory23...7607996457643/

This is the first thing I have completed so far. I have made stuff for other people's babies but this is what I have made for mine.
leerypolyp's Avatar leerypolyp 04:04 PM 10-20-2008
Wow, supercute eggplant hat!

I finished a pair of longies (LTK picky pants with eyelet bottom, v. cute), but have been working on stuff for my older daughter -- made her a vest (no pattern! eek! but came out great) and am finishing the Piggle hat from knitty.

BUT: I need to make two more pairs of longies! And I have to order yarn! Aaaaaah!
my_baby_love's Avatar my_baby_love 08:12 PM 10-21-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by acory23 View Post
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acory23...7607996457643/

This is the first thing I have completed so far. I have made stuff for other people's babies but this is what I have made for mine.
Those are so cute!
mamasthree's Avatar mamasthree 11:02 PM 10-30-2008
I finished this for the new girl...I bought the longies from Royal Buns to go with it. I hope to get a hat finished to match, but who knows...so much to knit, so little time! It actually still needs a button, but I'm not sure when I'll get to the specialty store to look for one.

kimono top--I bought the sweet mama small sugar pattern
with the longies
up close of colors
another close up

The yarn is targhee in Cottage Rose by Mosaic Moon with single ply uruguay merino trim.
my_baby_love's Avatar my_baby_love 05:49 PM 10-31-2008
Mamasthree, that is the cutest kimono ever! I love the yarn. I still have so much baby knitting to do and I feel like I am running out of time! I am trying to finish my Christmas presents first, though, and I am almost done. Hopefully I will have some FOs to post soon!
acory23's Avatar acory23 09:27 PM 11-09-2008
Ive begun knitting soakers and cant stop!! On average, how many should one have on hand at any given time?
funkymamajoy's Avatar funkymamajoy 12:52 AM 11-10-2008
Right after I get through my Christmas projects (a scarf, a sweater and an afghan) I'm starting on baby stuff. Okay, so the baby will probably be here by then.
1  2  3 4 

Up