Expecting in January(ish) Knitters? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-21-2008, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have we many knitting mamas among us? If so, would y'all be willing to share the projects you're knitting for your little sprouts along the way? I thought it would be nice to have one thread with all our projects to show and tell and inspire!

Currently I'm working on this bonnet (only without the Toturo face), and plan to start these longiess before long. I'm going with the girl vibe and breaking out my Peace Fleece in Moscow Magic Pink!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2008, 12:48 AM

aarrgh!
I want to knit so badly!
I went to Michaels and bought needles and yarn, and they are sitting in the bag on the doorknob! I think I'm scared of them.
But I really really want to make diaper covers.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Prism, just for inspiration, here are a couple "easy-to-knit" diaper covers. While they do involve a few intermediate skills, if you have the motivation to knit diaper covers, and maybe a good instruction book like Knitting for Dummies, you'll pick them up quick!

Punk Knitter Soaker Pattern

Fern & Faerie Free Soaker
Old 06-22-2008, 12:00 PM

Me! I am trying to get back on the needles- between being sick and being busy on the farm I haven't had a chance.

I have a cute little pair of bfl longies going- that are almost done- but not quite there yet.

I just ordered yarn to make a presto chango in chocolate and pea pod in bright green. Oh and a presto chango in red for my bff. (oh and matching hats for each too!)

ETA: Honeytree- that is my favorite longie pattern an I think the moscow magic will be fabulous in them!

I really want to try to chart out a pair of monster pants- but I kinda want 3 pairs- one for each of my kids!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 06-22-2008, 01:47 PM

I need to start knitting now!!!! I want to do mostly wool dipe covers for this winter babe and some longies. Can't wait to start!! We just assume it's a boy because of family history but you never know so I'll be doing most things in yellow or green.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
Old 06-22-2008, 04:30 PM

Yes! After I (start and) finish a shrug I'm making for myself, I'm going to start on some longies -- maybe deep purples, burgundies, bright green, red? And I want to make a lanolized wool sleepsack, for easy nighttime changes with a brand new newborn.

Has anyone got the book Expectant Little Knits? I believe it's maternity patterns and I don't know what else. I'd like to make myself one nice big sweater, but interlibrary loan takes forever around here.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leerypolyp View Post
Yes! After I (start and) finish a shrug I'm making for myself, I'm going to start on some longies -- maybe deep purples, burgundies, bright green, red? And I want to make a lanolized wool sleepsack, for easy nighttime changes with a brand new newborn.

Has anyone got the book Expectant Little Knits? I believe it's maternity patterns and I don't know what else. I'd like to make myself one nice big sweater, but interlibrary loan takes forever around here.
I am thinking of making myself a little black shrug too. I made an anthropologie inspired caplet and love it- and the pattern is definitely the easiest neer instant gratification project ever.

a sleepsack is such a great idea- I might have to do that too.

No suggestions on the book though- I think it would take me forever to knit a maternity sweater.....

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 06-22-2008, 05:35 PM

honeytree, youre awesome, thanks for the links.
my goal for this week is to start.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
No suggestions on the book though- I think it would take me forever to knit a maternity sweater.....
Yeah, I imagine it might be a real yarn-eater too. Hmm. Perhaps shrugs and capelets are the way to go -- quick, and they totally anthropologie-up the plain maternity shirt beneath. Heh. (Most of my projects are anthro-inspired too. Or maybe most of Anthropologie's stuff is us-inspired!)
Old 06-22-2008, 05:38 PM

Hey guys. I am a very avid knitter. I teach knitting classes (mostly sock classes) at our local shop and the owner gives me a steep discount so I recently splurged on some gorgeous yarn and knitted my baby on the way a couple of sweet hats and am working on a little sweater right now. I also plan on knitting some longies and wool covers and socks. Somebody said something about knitting a sleeper. I would love to see a pattern for that!
Old 06-22-2008, 05:46 PM

I am a knitter too! I so far am only making socks, scratch mitts, and a bonnet. So far. :P I am using a lovely green silk my husband bought me as a surpise about five months ago.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:48 PM

well, I crochet. . .so now you guys know I'm a) not as smart as you all and b) waaaay more impatient

Since crochet is so fast I probably will start a project around week 36. I made a blanket for my son around that time. One problem? Inflammation made my wrists and fingers really hurt when I'd work on it for too long! So you guys are smart to start now
Old 06-22-2008, 06:50 PM

ps this is the blanket I made--but this one isn't mine, it's another person's image. I love the Stitch'n'Bitch book and they make a Knitting one, too!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...e=UTF8&index=3
Old 06-22-2008, 11:10 PM

I'm planning on both knitting and crocheting soakers for my new little one, and hoping to make enough to mostly replace the PUL covers I used with DD. I actually may crochet a few more than I knit, since the crochet ones come out a little bit thicker, which I like. But at the moment, I'm making trial ones for DD to decide which patterns I like best. I also found a really cool idea for a quick easy wool soaker sack made from a wool sweater on mamatoto:
http://mamatoto.org/Default.aspx?tabid=308

Happy and !

T , mom to S and C
Old 06-23-2008, 12:33 AM

Love the sock monkey blankie!
Old 06-23-2008, 09:47 AM

I plan on doing some longies and hats, for sure. I'd like to do a sweater and a baby blanket, but I haven't been knitting due to morning sickness, so I don't know how much I'll get done. I'm starting to feel a tad bit better, so maybe I'll start something soon.

Melissa, loving wife love.gif and mama to 4 girls now! DD 12, DD 10 1/2, DD 4, DD 2 Happily homeschool.gif, doing lots of hang.gif very little sleeping.gifof and as much as I can knit.gifsewmachine.gif reading.gif
Old 06-23-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBeth0000 View Post
well, I crochet. . .so now you guys know I'm a) not as smart as you all and b) waaaay more impatient

Since crochet is so fast I probably will start a project around week 36. I made a blanket for my son around that time. One problem? Inflammation made my wrists and fingers really hurt when I'd work on it for too long! So you guys are smart to start now
My mom has tried over and over to get me to figure out crochet and it is so freaking hard. There are so many loops and stitches and whatnot- I can't even look at a crochet pattern without freaking out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBeth0000 View Post
ps this is the blanket I made--but this one isn't mine, it's another person's image. I love the Stitch'n'Bitch book and they make a Knitting one, too!

So cute- but looks so hard. Just a ball of yarn and 2 needles for me. that is all I can handle.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...e=UTF8&index=3

Old 06-23-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
My mom has tried over and over to get me to figure out crochet and it is so freaking hard. There are so many loops and stitches and whatnot- I can't even look at a crochet pattern without freaking out.
ha ha ha ha ha!! I feel the same way whenever I look at those two needles, clicking away. . .it looks like more hand-eye coordination than any human should be required to have. Plus what's with all that counting?! With crochet you only have to count the first row, it's easy-peasy from there. If I had to count every row, I would have some seriously interesting projects, because the first row would be 10, then 13, then 11, then 9, then 10 again, then. . .where was I again?! he he he
Old 06-23-2008, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

That blanket is adorable! I crocheted plain squares to be sewn into a lap blanket for a charity knit-a-thon in the spring, and I really liked it! I've been meaning to learn how to read patterns and to progress past the flat, single-crochet stitch...
Old 06-23-2008, 09:00 PM

yummo! I got a box of happy today in the mail! Yarn for baby knits! It is just knitpicks shine- but geez is it pretty and soft- I might have to get more for a blanky for DS too- he loves to stroke soft yarn!

Old 07-01-2008, 11:32 AM

yay! I finished the cutest longies from a previous MBOY- will have to come back and post a pic and I am almost done with a chocolate cotton presto chango..... Come one ladies! Show and tell!

Old 07-01-2008, 10:09 PM

I haven't read the whole thread yet (because I want to check out all the links and don't have time now) but I am a knitter too and would love to see everyone's projects! I have a little sweater done, and a few more planned. I also want to make some hats, soakers, and longies. I love that this little one will be born in the winter so I can dress him/her in lots of squishy wool!

Sarah , wife to Tyson :, SAHM to Landon (5), Coleson (3), and new baby boy due any day!

Old 07-01-2008, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

A picture! My first new-baby knit! I'm not in love with the embroidered stars, so I may still fiddle with the placement, but overall I think it turned out pretty darn cute.

And my current knit is a birth-related knit, a hot water bottle cozy, for the lower back pain now and whatever other pains arise in the coming months and at the birth.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyTree View Post
A picture! My first new-baby knit! I'm not in love with the embroidered stars, so I may still fiddle with the placement, but overall I think it turned out pretty darn cute.

And my current knit is a birth-related knit, a hot water bottle cozy, for the lower back pain now and whatever other pains arise in the coming months and at the birth.
I love that bonnet- What pattern is it and please tell me it is in ww? That would be perfecct with my presto chango- since I ended up with tons of extra balls

Old 07-08-2008, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

It's this pattern, and I did knit mine in worsted, though the pattern calls for a finer yarn. But everything I've read about it says that the pattern runs small, so I actually knit the "baby" size with a little extra length, and it looks like it will fit a newborn just fine.

So here is my hot water bottle cozy, what I'm thinking of as an exercise in cables, since there are lots of mistakes!!! But it is indeed warm and cozy, and I learned a lot while making it.

And here is a little pair of mitts that I knit in alpaca, my first time using that fiber. I used this super easy pattern, but then found this pattern that I like the look of better...
Old 07-08-2008, 04:54 PM

*steps up to the podium*

Hi! My name is Lex... and I have a yarn addiction! It started when I learned to knit a few years ago... the biggest problem is that I have tons of yarn and no time to knit!!
Old 07-08-2008, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

I hear ya, sister. I aim for small projects. That keeps my stash moving but doesn't over-commit me!
Old 07-08-2008, 08:39 PM

Sooooo...I'm itching to start some longies, and I want to know what yarns you all have liked for yours. In the past I've used Cascade 220 for a soaker (but a short one) and some superwash wool -- I also used some Paton's for one, but my daughter said it was a little itchy around the edges. We're kind of sensitive to wool-itch around here. Lana soakers are totally itch-free, but we inherited a babyology soaker that was useless, so itchy it was.

I have had good luck with handpaintedyarn.com (man, that merino is SOFT), but I was wondering if anyone had tried the Treliske that she sells at tinybirdsorganics.com? What else is out there that's super-soft and preferably on the natural/humane side?
Old 07-08-2008, 09:07 PM

Ahhh I cast on for the bonnet- and orked on it for a little while this afternoon- maybe I am making it too big- oh well- the head will grow right?

As for longies- I am doing 3IG for this baby- it looks beautiful on the website I made some for my kids out of lambs pride worsted and they love those soft fuzzy things! I also have some out of cascade 220- and it just doesn't look that great after awhile. this baby is getting BFL or merino. I have a bunch of bare merino waiting for inspiration to strike too!

ETA- I really really really want to try some treliske- like really bad.... I googled it and found it at theyarntree.com for $6.40/50 gr- that is pretty stinking affordable if it is as yummy as it sounds. Or we could always arrange a coop of it!

Old 07-08-2008, 09:07 PM

I've been knitting longies using the LTK picky pants pattern...it's great...the wool she sells is also very nice IMO...

User Tag List