anyone bought anything for the baby yet? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 07-23-2008, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kijip View Post
Well, right before we found out I was pregnant we sold or donated every baby thing in the house.
Me too! I drove a van full of stuff up to my sister! Now we have to figure out a way to get it all back down to me...except I'll let her keep the glider rocker. Because I'm nice like that.

The few things we'd like to have, our neighbor has promised to give us (a bouncy seat/rocker thing and a double stroller), and we still have my older daughter's crib and its cotton mattress. My sister has all my diapers, but we'll be doing service for the first six months at least (after which she can give me all her son's outgrown diapers! Yay!), so I'll just buy some covers and knit some longies. I kept back my wool soakers, heh.

After the u/s I'll buy wool and maaaaybe some clothes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 41 Old 07-24-2008, 01:28 PM

Just got another gift! A bag with about 8 onsies that my brother's gf was going to give to a friend that was just about to have her baby, only to find out that they didn't want them. It also has an ADORABLE little hat and 3 pairs of socks in it.

I've been checking craiglist and ebay religiously for the bigger ticket items as well....

Kathy Soup
Loving wife to an amazing SAHD : Mommy to Aviendha 01/19/09
#33 of 41 Old 07-24-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSoup View Post
I've been checking craiglist and ebay religiously for the bigger ticket items as well....
Don't forget about kijiji for local stuff. I kijiji!
#34 of 41 Old 07-25-2008, 12:37 AM

I have bought my entire cd stash, except for a few that I told a friend I would buy from her, but I'll get those next time I see her. I didn't cd at all with my dd until she was a year old so we needed all the newborn/small stuff. I bought a sound machine with lights, and a few newborn onesies in nuetral colors. A friend of mine is due in Sept and she promised me all her newborn stuff since her baby will have outgrown it by Jan. And another friend is GIVING me her crib, that is in great condition since they have only coslept, which is great we are getting it for free since dd hardly used hers. I am really trying to get all the baby stuff done with by Oct. so then I can focus on the holidays and my dd before the new baby gets here.
#35 of 41 Old 07-25-2008, 11:00 AM

I have all of the big gear in the house from the twins, and I have hand me down clothing coming out of my ears!! If I have another boy I am all set. at this point I could dress quads! I will probably want some new girlie stuff if we have a girl, but relatives will supply that. The only thing I really need is CD's since I sold off my entire NB stash a month before I found out I was pg. The boys are not potty trained yet, so I will have 3 in diapers at least part time, and most of our current stash is o/s pocket dipes. Those will do after the teeny tiny phase. I just bought 2 bags of various NB and small covers as well as some WHAM fitteds in a cute gender neutral print, and some Disana Tie Nappies. Oh yeah, and a cute pair of orange heathered longies. Most of this was from a friend who sold them as a fund raiser for her daughter, but others are coming from friends that had babies this winter/spring. I am really excited that I got handed back some of my favorite NB stuff from a friend. My black and rainbow elephant AIO from Full Moon Baby Gear came back. I missed that one when the boys out grew it. It was so cute. Oh yeah, and I just got 2 minkie covers in sage and blue from the Blueberry Diaper's outlet store. Only $8!!

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#36 of 41 Old 07-25-2008, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds like everyone is having fun searching for bargains and deals. I bought a few gender neutral l/s t shirts yesterday. I'll make longies so I really like l/s shirts...sometimes it is hard to find anything but onesies!

Melissa, loving wife love.gif and mama to 4 girls now! DD 12, DD 10 1/2, DD 4, DD 2 Happily homeschool.gif, doing lots of hang.gif very little sleeping.gifof and as much as I can knit.gifsewmachine.gif reading.gif
#37 of 41 Old 07-25-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwensMa View Post
Don't forget about kijiji for local stuff. I kijiji!
Uh oh, my DH is gonna hate you for giving me another link!

Kathy Soup
Loving wife to an amazing SAHD : Mommy to Aviendha 01/19/09
#38 of 41 Old 07-25-2008, 01:49 PM

I actually haven't bought anything yet... This was kind of depressing me the other day... My Mom and others keep telling me to wait til I see what I get at the shower, then get what I didn't get yet... The big ticket items we are going to get a discount on after the shower, so we are waiting on those...

I think I may buy a cute neutral going home outfit though... I just want *something* now.... can't explain the rationale behind it...

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#39 of 41 Old 07-25-2008, 02:37 PM

GREAT places to buy baby clothes without spending much money is ARC or Goodwill. Generally you can find several things that are gender neutral there and with what you are spending purchasing a couple gender specific items isn't a bad thing either.

The other day I walked out of ARC with 6 two piece outfits, 4 one piece romper outfits, jammies, fleece jacket, fleece overalls for $18. Well, it does help a little that I try to shop sale color tag only unless it is just too CUTE! It also doesn't hurt that I am off and on shopping for my little girl due in a couple weeks but I do try to add a bit here and there to my gender neutral stash cause you never know what this Jan babe brings.

Another nice benefit of shopping there is that you can shop ahead for different seasons based on about what size they may be in 6 months. I have come across several things over many trips for winter. Heavy fleece overall type outfits with matching long sleeve onesie. For M I got her an insulated bunting with hood, foot and hand covers for $4, something that easily would have cost $35 or more.

A few weeks ago I also picked up a few practically brand new crib sheets that I liked. Months ago I found a rubber sheet for $1 same kind I remember my mother using for us kids. On top of that I have kept my eyes open for different types of receiving blankets that I love in the sale tag color, usually $1 each.

I have very few items bought new, all of which were purchased for me and not by me. Most things from ARC look/are new.

I hardly got anything at my baby shower and I didn't want to rely on others to buy the clothes. I've had to slowly, post shower, buy stuff that I registered for.
#40 of 41 Old 07-25-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasthree View Post
Sounds like everyone is having fun searching for bargains and deals. I bought a few gender neutral l/s t shirts yesterday. I'll make longies so I really like l/s shirts...sometimes it is hard to find anything but onesies!
Yes, I know what you mean! I like the little kimono style tops, which at least don't usually have a snap crotch.
#41 of 41 Old 07-25-2008, 07:37 PM

I have so much stuff from Isaac that we really won't need too much, and a lot of his earlier clothes are gender-neutral enough that even if I have a girl that's true. The travel system we used with him and our pack 'n play are also gender-neutral (and I kind of coerced my family into paying a bit extra for the print I wanted instead of slightly cheaper but less favorable colors/patterns in my eyes too) so we're basically set.

However, I feel the new baby should have some stuff that is his/her own too and not hand-me-downs and we may get a new swing as the one I had with Isaac is one of those 3-in-one that is currently acting as Isaac's rocking chair which I'm not taking away from him to use as a swing again, that seems like a disaster waiting to happen I have my eyes on some cute onesies and such, just waiting to see if we can find out the sex of the little one to come. And if it is a girl, I'm sure we'll need to get some "girly" stuff, some little dresses, etc.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page