anyone bought anything for the baby yet? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 06-30-2008, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not an early shopper, but I bought a newborn cloth diaper from hyena cart today. I have prefolds from my last dd, but I sold all the cute fitteds while the selling was good.

I probably won't buy any clothes until we find out if it's a boy or a girl. And we have all the gear we need. So it was fun to buy a bit of new fluff.

Melissa, loving wife love.gif and mama to 4 girls now! DD 12, DD 10 1/2, DD 4, DD 2 Happily homeschool.gif, doing lots of hang.gif very little sleeping.gifof and as much as I can knit.gifsewmachine.gif reading.gif
#2 of 41 Old 06-30-2008, 11:28 PM

We too are waiting to find out if it's a boy or a girl. If it's a boy we are all set but if it's a girl we will need to get a bunch of new clothes.

Oh, I do need newborn cloth dipes but I have told myself I am going to make them, we'll see about that!!

My Grandmother IL asked what I needed/wanted for the baby and all I told her was dipes-I'm sure I'll want some new fancy ones, and that I did not want anything else unless it was a girl. They all think I'm crazy I don't want a bunch of new stuff if we have another boy.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#3 of 41 Old 06-30-2008, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I got in on the AMAZING Tiny Tush's co op and have picked up a few gender neutral things. We are not finding out this time either. DS was born in December so I hope in one way for another boy....but girl cloths are so cute!
#4 of 41 Old 06-30-2008, 11:47 PM

We have not bought anything yet. I'll make sure we have some gender neutral clothes, but won't buy any unless babe is a boy, which we'll know at birth. So, maybe some diapers will be on my to-buy list. I have a few, but didn't do cd when dd was so little, so I probably need to build my stash a bit.
#5 of 41 Old 07-01-2008, 12:13 AM

YES! But then again I really don't count in this department since I am preparing for an earlier baby too.

I've MADE a couple dozen prefolds which take about an hour maybe a little longer for a dozen. I used flannel sheets from the second hand store that I got for a steal and tore them to the measurements put 1/3 of a microfiber towel from the multi pack from Costco and sewed them up using these general directions. I altered it some by putting the "soaker in with the surger turning everything right side out centering it and surging the top and bottom then stitching the center down. http://webpages.charter.net/rhamley/...iapertext1.htm

I've also sewn some AIO, fitted pockets, a few PUL/fleece covers, recycled sweater longies, waterproof wicking sleep pads for the bed, knitted a sleep sack that I am still finishing, cloth wipes.

I'm set for a girl up to at least a year and then some with several trips to the second hand store. If this ends up being a boy then I will just hit up the second hand store for some boy clothes and supplement with my gender neutral stuff.
#6 of 41 Old 07-01-2008, 10:29 AM

No shopping for baby yet- but I need diapers too- I am debating between making or buying. I could get my mom to make me a bunch since she has a serger and is dying to make something for the baby..... Ugh- it can wait a little right?

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#7 of 41 Old 07-01-2008, 01:26 PM

Haven't bought anything yet, but I was soooo tempted yesterday. I was in this cute kids store buying a gift for a friend's baby and kept gravitating to the newborn clothing. We aren't finding out the sex, but for some reason I am convinced that this one is a girl and I want to buy every little frilly cute outfit I see.

Cozmama- I'm so impressed with your sewing. I wish I was handy enough to sew fitted diaps - they are so expensive!

Mommy to DS1 5/07 and DS2 1/09 , wife to an awesome hubby. And someone new coming in March!
#8 of 41 Old 07-01-2008, 01:49 PM

We haven't bought anything yet, but we have been given gifts already!

We have a set of bibs and a set of onsies. Oh, and there are also three people making blankets. We already have a color theme picked out (chocolate brown and green, with highlights of either pink or blue depending on the sex of the baby) so the blankets should match well and be cozy.

And sometime in the next week or so, my mom is taking me maternity clothes shopping, and I'm sure we'll pick something out then. We should also know by then if it's twins or single baby...

Kathy Soup
Loving wife to an amazing SAHD : Mommy to Aviendha 01/19/09
#9 of 41 Old 07-01-2008, 02:31 PM

Nothing bought yet, mainly cuz my goal is to do as much homemade stuff as possible. I am in teh process of making my first cloth diaper cover ever and it is totally coming out adorable! (I am quite proud of myself as all I have ever sewn before has been slings and pillows and bibs.)
#10 of 41 Old 07-01-2008, 03:44 PM

nothing here yet, but we may be moving before this one is born. If not, we'll be moving shortly after. So, I'm not going to be buying much. All we really need is a carseat, maybe a crib. That depends if we can talk DD into moving into the twin (and out of the toddler bed) before baby arrives...After the baby arrives if it is a boy, then I'll buy some clothes. For the first few weeks he'll have to live with green

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#11 of 41 Old 07-01-2008, 08:56 PM

I haven't bought anything yet, but I have knit a sweater and have plans for much more knitting before the little one comes. We aren't sure if we are going to find out the sex or not, but either way I need to get some newborn clothes. We borrowed almost all the newborn clothes with DS from a friend, and then gave them back when he outgrew them. I also want to get a co-sleeper and we will need a new car seat too. Other than that, I think we will be pretty set.

Sarah , wife to Tyson :, SAHM to Landon (5), Coleson (3), and new baby boy due any day!

#12 of 41 Old 07-01-2008, 09:25 PM

I bought a Burt's Bees "Baby Bees Shampoo Bar". It smells so yummy, like a newborn. I've had such a terrible time with morning sickness, so every once in a while when I'm discouraged and sick of being sick, I sniff that bar of soap and it reminds me that it''ll all be worth it come January! :

Julie, wife to DH , mom of DD 8/99 and DS 1/09 , and #3 due 11/14/10
#13 of 41 Old 07-01-2008, 10:43 PM

There's not a whole lot to buy, really. A few extra diapers. Lanolin cream and breast pads for me. I have everything else...
#14 of 41 Old 07-01-2008, 11:45 PM

I just bought an newborn dipe from a WAHM I can't wait to get it!!! It's so cute, it has froggies and flies on it.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#15 of 41 Old 07-02-2008, 12:14 AM

I've got a 21 mo DD, so we have all her gear. When we registered before she was born, we specifically went with a lot of sage green/gender neutral things since we didn't find out gender with her and planned on having more kids relatively quickly. We're not planning to find out this time, either.

When she was born, the ILs inundated us with PINK clothes. They had her covered from birth - 9 months without us buying anything, except socks and some onesies.

We did the same for my SIL's shower, but we knew she was having a boy.
#16 of 41 Old 07-02-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzminty View Post
I bought a Burt's Bees "Baby Bees Shampoo Bar". It smells so yummy, like a newborn. I've had such a terrible time with morning sickness, so every once in a while when I'm discouraged and sick of being sick, I sniff that bar of soap and it reminds me that it''ll all be worth it come January! :
That is an awesome idea! What great motivation. I might have to go get one.
#17 of 41 Old 07-09-2008, 09:39 AM

Yes I'm putting together a newborn stash. FUN!!! I bought three Thirsties Fab Fitteds in xsmall and 3 bumGenius! egyptian cotton fitteds.

I also picked up a new babyhawk.
#18 of 41 Old 07-09-2008, 11:31 AM

The only thing I've bought so far is wool so I can knit/crochet some little bitty soakers. I can't really think of much that we need - a new car seat, but we want to wait until closer to get that (and are actually hoping maybe the grandparents will buy it as a christmas gift). We won't find out whether this is a boy or girl until after the birth, but I don't buy into the boy/girl colors thing, so if we have a boy, I don't mind putting him in pink at all!

T , mom to S and C
#19 of 41 Old 07-09-2008, 06:57 PM

I decided to try to CD this time around (didn't with DD because I work full time and it really intimidates me) so I've been trying to build a stash. I know it's taboo to build an entire stash before the baby comes since we won't know what works best but we're going to be BROKE when this baby comes so I'm trying to get the big purchases out of the way before money gets too tight. I'm just not going to have the money to be doing a bunch of diapering experiements. I, too, got in on that amazing Tiny Tush diaper co-op so between that and some prefolds from a previous co-op, I should be nearly set in the diaper department. I picked up several cashmere sweaters at the thrift store and shipped them to my aunt who offered to make me wool soakers for my prefolds. I also bought some cloth nursing pads in a co-op. My next big purchase will be a pool for our planned home waterbirth. We didn't find out the sex with DD and don't plan to with this one so at least all our newborn stuff is gender neutral.
#20 of 41 Old 07-09-2008, 08:10 PM

We bought a travel bassinet that converts to a chair frm a used baby store, blue and flowery I LOVE IT..

Today we got a used premmie newborn sleeper for 99 cents and a snowsuit for 10lbs for 3.99!! SCORES

we really dont need much just a few pairs of really warm socks and things(ds was an august baby so he spent his time in undershirts)..our house is quite cold(old house) so we need some warm sleepers..other then that were set!

The familys BEGGING us to find out..even asking for the ultrasound lady to put it in a stamped envelope and to send it to them so they can know and we wont! insane people!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#21 of 41 Old 07-09-2008, 08:57 PM

Waiting to find out if the baby is a boy or girl. (Midwife strongly requests an US at 18 weeks to see placenta position because of birth history.) So if we're going to do an US at that time, I've got to know the sex. Really hoping for a girl since I have two adorable DSs. Then I want to get CDs. If it's a girl, I've got to get some pink or frilly patterned ones!

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#22 of 41 Old 07-10-2008, 12:36 AM

I bought 2 wool/organic cotton changing table pads for our dresser tops so we can toss our nasty foam ones. Holy Lamb Organics had them as seconds, so I had to snag them before they were gone. No WAY I could pay full price.
I also just got a couple of neutral og sleepers I found tonight on clearance. Had to do it.

ETA: I forgot that I got og onesies, mitted long sleeve t-shirts, and a few of those baby bag sleepers with the elastic at the bottom that I got last year through and "Under the Nile" co-op.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#23 of 41 Old 07-10-2008, 02:33 AM

It's weird this pg, the only thing we have bought is the crib and a dresser...with my last one, everything was bought and put together by about month 5/6.

To tell you the honest truth...I don't think this pg has "HIT" me yet. I know that sounds stupid, but it's true. Probably bc I wanted it so bad. And also the fact that we aren't finding out the sex...that kinda makes it hard to buy stuff when you dont know what color to buy( although we think it's a boy.) Kinda dont want to jinx it either.
#24 of 41 Old 07-23-2008, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post
I got in on the AMAZING Tiny Tush's co op
Can you please point out where you found the coop and if it is online? I see their regular website www.tinytush.com which is great, but only has new items

Mama to Gabriel (1-10-2009) and newborn Helena (10-9-2011) h20homebirth.gif with DP Julio.  ...cloth diapering, attachment parenting, infant EC-ing, etc.

#25 of 41 Old 07-23-2008, 03:03 AM

Well, right before we found out I was pregnant we sold or donated every baby thing in the house. I have made three purchases this week, my first for the pregnancy. Since I am getting most everything used, I figured I need to take some time to bargain hunt but not pass by super deals on things I know I will want or need.

-I purchased a nice black diaper bag from a moms swap group.
-I purchased a Maclaren Techno stroller (we just sold one before the BFP test) for $80 used of Craigslist. We sold ours for $100 and new they are WAY too much so I feel good about this.
-I purchased 60 CPFs (in EXCELLENT condition, two sizes) and 25 prowrap covers (in fair to excellent condition, in 3 sizes) for $75 of of Craigslist. Excellent deal and if we want to be super frugal, that could basically take ups to potty training. We will likely add a few fitteds and pockets at some point but this a great start (and I used PFs as pocket inserts for my son).

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
#26 of 41 Old 07-23-2008, 09:08 AM

Funny, I went on this diaper buying spree in early May. I was buying like crazy. I bought a ton of girly and boyish nb dipes. This was before I even thought about being pg. I was buying for my upcoming foster placements. I'm still awaiting my license to be renewed, but didn't think it would take this long.

I also purchased several other items, I was like a mad woman, now I know why. I have every clothing item, blanket, bibs, socks, etc. a baby could possibly need so I dont NEED to buy anything, but probably will. Now, I have a really hard time buying anything at all. Except, I'm refraining from buying the fisher price papasan cradle swing now, but I don't know how much longer I can hold out.

Oh, also my nursery is completely set up, once again, it was for foster care. The only thing I would need to do is make it more boyish, if this is a boy, because I set it up with all my girly stuff, however, I do have already a boyish bedding set, so won't need to buy anything for that either.
#27 of 41 Old 07-23-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibababy View Post
. Except, I'm refraining from buying the fisher price papasan cradle swing now, but I don't know how much longer I can hold out.
I have one and it was totally worth every penny. But if I were doing it over again I would get one that plugs in. I run mine on rechargable batteries- but even that gets to be a big pita. Plus I spent like $50 for 2 sets of Ds and a charger.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#28 of 41 Old 07-23-2008, 11:41 AM

i don't really know what we're going to need yet (1st baby) and it seems far off as yet and i'm not too worried 'bout it so, nope, haven't bought anything yet.

we'll get a lot of 2ndhand stuff from my nephew who is 1 years old.

DD 12/08
#29 of 41 Old 07-23-2008, 01:07 PM

We still have a bunch of things (mostly unnecessary) from DS but I have bought a couple of new/second hand things. We bought a double mountain buggy and a macclaren twin traveler from one woman on craigslist (such a crazy deal that was) and a used macclaren volo to replace the techno i fell in and destroyed. That way we can sling the newborn and take DS in the volo sometimes. I found Robeez on clearance at the Finish Line for $7 and bought two pairs and a snuggle me for the car seat at the thrift store. Oh, and a glider w/nursing footstool from craigslist.

We still need (for some value of need):
car seat--I'm thinking a graco safeseat
ergo--ok, so I have a sling and a wrap and a mei-tei, so not really a need
co-sleeper--will buy a used mini co-sleeper off craigslist
baby bjorn bouncer--we had a different one, but my nephew had that and loved it, hoping to find one used
clothes
diapers
bathtub/foam pad
changing pad
white noise machine--although I read someone just put their ipod in a docking station and played music and thought that was a good idea
and for me, I really want a baby wearing vest
#30 of 41 Old 07-23-2008, 06:00 PM

I'm glad to see this thread because I was feeling silly for lurking on diaper fsot boards. I bought two Kissaluv 0s so far. We won't find out gender this time but didn't with dd, either, so I have tons of gender neutral newborn clothes. I have all the gear I need, too. I sold dd's dipes though, so that's really the only thing I do need to shop for. (Of course, I'm planning on scheming my way into a new wrap and maybe a ring sling, too.)

My plan / goal / limit is to buy two or three diapers or covers a month between now and January -- all newborn or smalls, mostly used -- since once I know gender, I'll buy the main stash. They are in newborn dipes such a short period of time anyway.

Amanda, momma to Caroline (5/31/05) and Mary Elizabeth (1/8/09)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page