Where and how will you likely birth? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Where and how do you think you'll give birth?
Unassisted, at home 9 100.00%
With a midwife, at home 41 100.00%
With a midwife, at a freestanding birth center 11 100.00%
With a midwife, in the hospital 21 100.00%
With an OB, in the hospital 18 100.00%
Other 1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 07-16-2008, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sarahmagoo, I'm a little confused--does the hospital have child care or something? How is it easier to have child care for a hospital birth than at home? Really just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 47 Old 07-17-2008, 03:53 PM

I, too, will be seeing my midwife in a birth center for my prenatal care. I'm also a VBAC and have to give birth in the hospital, it's illegal here in AK for me to give birth in a birth center.
#33 of 47 Old 07-17-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylover View Post
At my age (44) with twins, there's not much choice. I'm happy to be birthing in a hospital when the time comes. But I am planning to deliver vaginally. I'm not interested in a C-section, unless, at that moment, the babes are upside down and sideways to make it impossible. My goal is to actually deliver. Hope that works out as planned.
I am rooting for you! Mine chose to be transverse, stacked face to face with legs in opposite directions the entire pregnancy. Oh yeah with a HUGE fused placenta on top. That is not a typical presentation, so I wouldn't worry about that. Beside of the dozens of twin mamas I know OL and IRL, most delivered vaginally. The odds ARE in your favor no matter what those stinky old docs say.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#34 of 47 Old 07-17-2008, 09:13 PM

I picked unassisted at home. I had a homebirth with my first (I planned a UC, but it didn't work out that way).

Kristi wife to Mal , mom to Ziva (4/07) (3/08) Aliyah (1/09) and somebody new (edd 11/10). I
#35 of 47 Old 07-17-2008, 10:04 PM

I am planning a VBAC at a hospital birth center. They have a 12% c-section rate (vs the 35% at other hospitals and nearly all births are attended by midwifes there. VBAC success rates are very high. It's low to no intervention as a general rule and they routinely leave the baby with mom right after birth, skin to skin without washing them off or weighing them or anything for 1-2 hours as the parents want. I will have an AquaDoula tub in the room with us, separate from the bathroom. All rooms are private. Since free standing birth centers in WA don't do VBACs and I am not able to find a provider I really am excited about for a home birth, this is the best option for us. Thankfully I have found a great private practice, independent midwife for prenatal care and to attend the birth. I really am enjoying seeing her for prenatal care and there is a good rapport between both my husband and me and her. When we toured it felt more like a birth center than a hospital. With my son, we were at a big teaching hospital and it was horrible.

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
#36 of 47 Old 07-17-2008, 10:42 PM

right now i have a midwife who can do homebirths or hospital births. we will probably do a hospital birth due to my history of high blood pressure and the fact that i am a VBAC with a higher risk for pre-e and PIH. i will also be seeing an OB for a consult in case i have to transfer. he's her backup and is apparently very good, a number of my friends have used him and said he's great. regardless my midwife will be my advocate and that's what i really need. i had no one to advocate for me in my last birth and ended up with PTSD and severe PPD.

Mummy to dd (Jan 13, '07) born by emergency c-section at 35 weeks due to severe pre-e  :ribboncesarean.gif and ds (Jan 30 '09) :hbac.gif and stork-suprise.gif    (06/11)
#37 of 47 Old 07-17-2008, 11:52 PM

In Alaska, it's illegal to VBAC with a midwife, so I'll be w/ an OB at the hospital. *sigh* Unfortunately, the hospital here *sucks* and you can't bring your own birth tub. Grrrr.

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#38 of 47 Old 07-18-2008, 09:38 AM

I'm going to a University hospital with a midwife to VBA2C.
#39 of 47 Old 07-18-2008, 12:50 PM

We will have this baby at a birth center with a midwife, hope to have a water birth again.

mom to Reaghan born underwater into midwife's hands 1/17/07 & Myra born surrounded by doulas and midwife at home 1/12/09. Birth Educator, and Photographer, Baby #3 Coming May 2013!

#40 of 47 Old 07-18-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisw View Post
sarahmagoo, I'm a little confused--does the hospital have child care or something? How is it easier to have child care for a hospital birth than at home? Really just curious.
If we had baby in hospital, we would just need one person to watch both kids, and it could pretty much be any of our family or friends. If we had baby at home, I would need one person for each kid since my daughter would most likely want to be in and out during the birth, and we would need someone else to stay with my son when she's in with us. The person with my daughter would also have to be comfortable being at the birth, which rules out a bunch of the friends. Make any more sense?
#41 of 47 Old 07-18-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmagoo View Post
If we had baby in hospital, we would just need one person to watch both kids, and it could pretty much be any of our family or friends. If we had baby at home, I would need one person for each kid since my daughter would most likely want to be in and out during the birth, and we would need someone else to stay with my son when she's in with us. The person with my daughter would also have to be comfortable being at the birth, which rules out a bunch of the friends. Make any more sense?
yes, thanks =) It just perplexed me a bit coming from the standpoint of one toddler! I hope I wasn't rude in asking, I'm just dreadfully curious at times!
#42 of 47 Old 07-18-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisw View Post
yes, thanks =) It just perplexed me a bit coming from the standpoint of one toddler! I hope I wasn't rude in asking, I'm just dreadfully curious at times!
You weren't rude at all. After my son watched a waterbirth on YouTube, he'll probably want to be there as well. He kept asking for "baby bath" over and over again. Really, I should have two people - one for each child - who don't mind being in the room for the birth.
#43 of 47 Old 07-20-2008, 01:55 AM

Midwife in a hospital. Hospital has an awesome reputation for being accomodating, and the nurse I know who works there loves my MW and says the other nurses also enjoy working with her.

I also plan to labor at home as long as possible.
#44 of 47 Old 08-11-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaberry View Post
In Alaska, it's illegal to VBAC with a midwife, so I'll be w/ an OB at the hospital. *sigh* Unfortunately, the hospital here *sucks* and you can't bring your own birth tub. Grrrr.
I'm in AK too. That "rule" sucks royally.

There are some other, less orthodox, options for a VBAC, you know. The first, is simply waiting until labor starts and you get thisclose to the pushing stage, then walk into the hospital. I know of a few people who literally drive to the hospital parking lot and labored until it was too late for a C-sec, then went in and delivered vaginally.

Another option is an unassisted birth- or at least not assisted by a doc. I'm training to be a doula and I know of a couple doulas (myself included) who may be interested in attending a birth as the only attendant. Doulas can offer support, pain-relief and comfort, but not medical care, perse.

The final option I can think of is to find a lay midwife or a renegade who'd be willing to do an underground VBAC with you. You'd have to check in the AK tribal forum and/or talk with some people in the birthing community who you think might be open to helping you out.

I believe women should be allowed to have the birth they want without politics and the Man interfering. I hope you can figure out a solution or come to peace with your doctor. (((hugs)))

Kristi wife to Mal , mom to Ziva (4/07) (3/08) Aliyah (1/09) and somebody new (edd 11/10). I
#45 of 47 Old 08-11-2008, 10:54 PM

I'm planning to have my baby at a birth center with a midwife. My 2nd child was a homebirth, but we moved and I am too far from those midwives now. Sigh. There is another midwife in my area who does homebirths, but I didn't "click" with her...and I really liked the midwives at the birth center. So, alas, this will be in a birth center.

#46 of 47 Old 08-12-2008, 04:57 PM

I am planning a VBA2C at home with a midwife because if I step into a hospital, it is another c-section for me. Not what I want, if it isn't necessary!

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#47 of 47 Old 08-12-2008, 07:06 PM

Dh and I are expecting baby #6 between Jan 11th-13th. This will be our 3rd homebirth and 2nd Unassisted birth.

#1 was a birth center waterbirth with a very non-interventionist GP
#2 was a dry land hosp birth with an overbearing, intervention loving OB
#3 was a birthcenter waterbirth with a wonderful CNM
#4 was a home waterbirth with with a wonderful CPM midwife
#5 was a home "showerbirth" (not quite a waterbirth lol) Unassiated with just myself. ( My other kids waited outside the bathroom door! and this one was the best of all!)
#6 is planned as a home UC waterbirth.(Hopefully Hubby will make it home in time, if not my kids are getting to be good apprentices! lol)

Bets of luck and Blessed Journey to you all!
-Shelby-

SAHM Wiccan mama to 4boys, 3girls and 3 angels.
UC/UP/EBF/AP/CD/BW, Waterbirthing, Homeschooling, no circ, no vax.
Expecting #8 on Dec 6th, 2011

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page