Where and how will you likely birth? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Where and how do you think you'll give birth?
Unassisted, at home 9 100.00%
With a midwife, at home 41 100.00%
With a midwife, at a freestanding birth center 11 100.00%
With a midwife, in the hospital 21 100.00%
With an OB, in the hospital 18 100.00%
Other 1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 07-04-2008, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(I got this idea from February's DDC.)

I know we've had various threads about this, but just at a glance, I'm curious where we're all thinking we'll birth and how?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 47 Old 07-04-2008, 09:14 PM

Planning a homebirth!

Molly, mama to my 3 sweet boys.
: : hale:
#3 of 47 Old 07-04-2008, 10:40 PM

I'd love to have a HB but in NJ you can't have an asissted HBAC... the midwife could lose their license. There are some who will do but it something goes wrong they have to leave you at the hospital doors and I've even heard of DYFS getting involved if they think you were endangering the baby with an unassisted pregnancy, etc. :

That said my MWs have had 49/51 successes for hospital VBACs so I think I'll still be in good hands.

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

#4 of 47 Old 07-04-2008, 10:54 PM

Home (H2O even) unless there's another birth and then we've got to do it at the birth center. I had DD there so that'd be ok too. Love that place. :
#5 of 47 Old 07-05-2008, 12:33 AM

Planning home with midwife just like my son!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#6 of 47 Old 07-05-2008, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Planning to birth with a midwife in a free-standing birth center. It's a bit of a drive, but dd was born there and it was wonderful! Hoping for another water birth, too.

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#7 of 47 Old 07-05-2008, 02:39 PM

I think this is a neat poll--it's fun to see what everyone's plans are.

I'm doing a hospital birth with an OB. Just my preference. I've had 3 natural births in hospitals, so I'm pretty comfortable with the process.

Melissa, loving wife love.gif and mama to 4 girls now! DD 12, DD 10 1/2, DD 4, DD 2 Happily homeschool.gif, doing lots of hang.gif very little sleeping.gifof and as much as I can knit.gifsewmachine.gif reading.gif
#8 of 47 Old 07-05-2008, 03:15 PM

WAHHHHH, I'll be having my second c-section

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#9 of 47 Old 07-05-2008, 08:45 PM

I will be at the hospital with an OB. I was considering a homebirth this time, but frankly, I like birthing in an environment that takes me out of my regular routine. Somehow it makes the event bigger and more special. Kind of like how a picnic makes eating sandwiches special I guess. I also like being away from the rest of the family for a couple of days. I can bond with the new little one in peace. Not to mention that the twins are too young to participate. I would rather have them home in their own routine.

Oh yeah, I will be a VBAC this time. I had a c/s with the twins because they were both transverse.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#10 of 47 Old 07-06-2008, 02:02 AM

I get to have a home birth this time with a midwife.

Mama to DD 9.06 / DD 1.09 and DS 6.10 born at home
#11 of 47 Old 07-06-2008, 07:56 AM

I just wanted to mention that around Chicagoland anyway there is an opton of homebirth with an OB. That's not quite summed up by "other." I don't need that option--going with a midwife this time--but planned the OB homebirth with my first two.

I think it's so cool to be part of a forum where the majority plan homebirth--how awesome! Not your average population for sure! (By the way, not to make anyone feel bad--I understand there are reasons to plan other methods. I am proud of ALL of us for thinking, and researching, and making what we feel are the best choices for our families!)

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#12 of 47 Old 07-06-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr'smom View Post
I think it's so cool to be part of a forum where the majority plan homebirth--how awesome! Not your average population for sure! (By the way, not to make anyone feel bad--I understand there are reasons to plan other methods. I am proud of ALL of us for thinking, and researching, and making what we feel are the best choices for our families!)
That was nice to say. Especially since some of us have been risked out of homebirth TWICE for very good, although frustrating reasons, and have come to understand that for US, the hospital is a nice place to birth anyhow. Personally mine is like a 4 star hotel. There are entirely too many mamas who would like us all to birth THEIR way, because their way is the BEST WAY EVER!
Whether your choice is UC, homebirth, MW assisted, or OB in the hospital. It SHOULD be all about informed choice, not my birth is more hard core than your birth. Or worse yet, your way is wrong and will KILL you and your baby. I just hate when anybody dumps that on a pg mama because they don't understand her choice.

BTW, around here IRL, I am in the minority for hospital birthing. Most of my friends have had or attempted homebirths in the past 4 years. I think only the c/s mamas are still opting to start at the hospital these days.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#13 of 47 Old 07-06-2008, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr'smom View Post
I just wanted to mention that around Chicagoland anyway there is an opton of homebirth with an OB. That's not quite summed up by "other."
I had no idea such a choice even existed--what a great option for mamas who want/need an OB's care but feel more comfortable at home. Reminds me of that series that I think PBS did, The Country Doctor, only available for citified Chicago mums!! I'll try to go in and add that choice in the poll, because you're right, it's definitely not an "other."
#14 of 47 Old 07-06-2008, 12:13 PM

If we go to the hospital, it will be with a family practice doctor.

If we happen to homebirth, then it will be unassisted as midwives don't home birth here.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#15 of 47 Old 07-06-2008, 06:17 PM

I voted for unassisted, BUT, I'm still trying to decide how it's going to end.

I'm planning to do ALL labor at home, right up until the pushing phase. Then, I'll decide if I want to go to my VBAC dr and have my baby at the birthing center (attached to hospital) or if I want/need to stay home and finish it there. Most likely, at the pushing phase, I'm NOT going to want to get into a car, but then again, that might give me time to NOT worry about pushing and let my body do its thing on the way (and the VBAC birthing center isn't too far away). The midwives who practice there, though, are supposed to be as bad as my old OB, but their overseeing dr is supposed to be as good as a midwife, soo, I figured I'd ignore titles and go with the better baby catcher, lol.

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#16 of 47 Old 07-06-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajody View Post
That was nice to say. Especially since some of us have been risked out of homebirth TWICE for very good, although frustrating reasons, and have come to understand that for US, the hospital is a nice place to birth anyhow. Personally mine is like a 4 star hotel. There are entirely too many mamas who would like us all to birth THEIR way, because their way is the BEST WAY EVER!
Whether your choice is UC, homebirth, MW assisted, or OB in the hospital. It SHOULD be all about informed choice, not my birth is more hard core than your birth. Or worse yet, your way is wrong and will KILL you and your baby. I just hate when anybody dumps that on a pg mama because they don't understand her choice.
I think I'm especially sensitive because I could easily be in your shoes. I "planned" homebirth the first two times, but ended up with CS with both. After the last birth, the homebirth MDs advised not to try VBAC again. They think I have true CPD. I just was fortunate enough to find some midwives that are willing to attend. I don't know how the MDs decided I can't birth my big babies. I just want to try again with attendants less likely to jump to interventions. Homebirth MDs or not, at the end of the day they're still way more medically oriented than I prefer.

(By the way these MDs advocate not vaccinating as well. Overall for MDs they're pretty good.)

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#17 of 47 Old 07-06-2008, 10:57 PM

Planning our 7th homebirth. We have considered UC, and had planned that way for #5 but she ended up breech and I felt more comfortable with my midwife that has experience with many breech births. With baby #6 I again planned a UC but during labor I felt strongly that I should call my midwife to come, baby ended up needing his cord cut on the perineum as he couldn't descend, his cord was only 12" long and was wrapped around his head/neck, he had severe shoulder dystocia and just having his head born pulled 1/3 of the placenta from my uterus (extremely painful) his apgars were 2/7/9. I am grateful that I listened to my body and baby and called my midwife. For now we are planning on having our midwife again.

mamajody~ I completely agree. I received a lot of negativity for planning UC from some people and others gave a lot of negativity for having a midwife in the first place. With my births the only opinion that matters is mine and my partner. We do what we feel is best for us and our baby.

Sarah
#18 of 47 Old 07-07-2008, 12:57 AM

my CNM can't do homebirths anymore (insurance), and the only local homebirth midwife has a terrible reputation with the local hospitals, so any transfer situation would be less amicable than i'm comfortable with. plus, with her reputation being less than stellar, i'm not confident enough to work with her. the only birth center in the area was shut down several years ago for "business reasons" (big hospitals were losing business and they managed to kill the center's funding), so we're off to the hospital.

i'm a little nervous because we actually had a great experience at another hospital in town last time (the hospital, not the OB), but my midwife delivers at the city hospital. our only experience there has been a middle-of-the-night visit to the ER when my infant son had a scary-high fever. it was a freak show in there, and i would have walked out if i had had any choice. of course, most ERs in a bigger town are unpleasant, but it would have been nice if had been a little less skeevy, KWIM?
#19 of 47 Old 07-07-2008, 03:25 AM

Hoping and praying for a homebirth. If not it will be at the hospital that I work L&D for years. I feel pretty good that my wishes will be respected.
#20 of 47 Old 07-09-2008, 09:35 AM

For prenatal care I'll be seeing a midwife in a birth center. Then I can labor for a certain amount of time at the birth center, but I'll have to be transferred across the street to the hospital when it nears time to deliver. This is because I'm a VBAC. I'm bummed that I won't get to have a water birth in the birth center but that's how it goes.
#21 of 47 Old 07-09-2008, 09:48 AM

I'm going to a hospital but have a midwife.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#22 of 47 Old 07-09-2008, 10:46 PM

We're planning a homebirth (just called to set up a meeting w/ the hb midwife last night! but we are still going to see the cnm just in case there's something wrong and I think it would make me feel better since I had complications w/ ds' birth. The good thing is that both parties seem pretty cool and relaxed about each other.
#23 of 47 Old 07-10-2008, 03:54 AM

With a CNM at our local birth center. We have several friends who had babies there and I've heard nothing but positive things. We just were there to hear the baby's heartbeat, and it's a great place. The only downside was the hour-long wait! They did apologize twice, and I'm hoping that was a fluke.

For my first child, we thought we were headed for a CS because of placenta previa, but that resolved and we were able to do our original plan, which was have a CNM in the hospital (this was in a different city). It was a great birth, and the L&D nurses were truly awesome and supportive. Everybody loved that CNM, and I think her influence really showed in that hospital.

The big plus to a homebirth for me would be avoiding a car trip in labor, and then avoiding putting a newborn in the car. Otherwise, I think I might be more stressed out in a way - you know, hearing the dogs bark, kids out the window... Also, my 2 yo son is very sensitive to us being 'hurt'. I passed out a while ago, and though of course my husband was fully in charge and calm (I do this somewhat often), my son really got into the caregiving, giving me water, draping his body over mine, taking a washcloth from someone and patting it on my face. It is a lovely thing about him, but I worry that if he saw me in real pain that it would be overwhelming for him. I also think that I might tone down some of my sounds and movements because of that, which wouldn't work. So, the birth center is a really nice compromise, with the added benefit of being a place that has had so many great births, it feels really good in there.
#24 of 47 Old 07-10-2008, 09:16 PM

in a hospital w/a family practice doc (there are no OBs in our very rural town). Previous experience w/a birth center that went wrong means it's not an option for me and I prefer being in a hospital.

Mom of 7, ages 13, 12, 9, 7, 5, 4, and 2.5!
#25 of 47 Old 07-11-2008, 12:09 AM

Planning a UC for the second time around. First time ended up being a hospital induction for pre-eclampsia. DEFINITELY avoiding that this time. And I have an awesome hospital midwife for my prenatal care. :

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#26 of 47 Old 07-11-2008, 04:35 PM

I am having a natrual birth in a hospital. I had my daughter at a birth center with a midwife, but she no longer practices, and I am not comfortable giving birth at home.
#27 of 47 Old 07-11-2008, 09:34 PM

I just finished chattering about what I'm planning in another thread because I'm pretty excited =) I'm seeing a midwifery practice at a university hospital. They're the only hospital to do waterbirths in the Denver metro area. I don't know if I *will* have a waterbirth, but I love the option. Everything I've read in the Colorado section here and on a local AP board tells me I'm going to love the midwives and will be able to have the birth I want, and that's borne out by my contact with them so far (interview and first prenatal visit).

I told both the midwife I interviewed and the one who saw me at my prenatal about the things I didn't like about the birth of my son (don't get me wrong, it wasn't nearly as traumatic an experience as I know many have experienced in hospitals but it displeased both myself and my husband) and both of them seemed to appreciate why I was unhappy with it.

I took a tour of the birthing center area of the hospital (they even call it a birth center, they have two separate birth floors, the birth center for low risk and one for high risk. The description I was given for the high risk included things like quadruplets and serious medical issues.) The rooms are lovely and large, particularly the LDR rooms--the postpartum rooms are a bit smaller but then they won't be used to hold birth tubs!

On the petty side, I also noticed differences between the rooms at UCH and the ones at Aurora South (where my son was born) that don't *matter* so much as the quality of care but which I liked. both sides have *nice* showers with handheld showerheads--only the LDR side did at Aurora South and I could have used that after my son was born! Also, only the LDR side at AS had DVD players or anything besides basic TV/medical TV channels. both sides at UCH have DVD players--would have liked to watch a movie while snuggling a sleeping or nursing baby.

My packet of papers from UCH that they gave me at my prenatal visit included a sample of RRL tea and a paper on why breastfeeding is important, as well as an ad for their prenatal massage therapy services.

In all, I'm really getting excited about this time around! They're very supportive of natural birth (or seem to be) and nobody bats an eye when my son nurses. In fact, he was nursing the whole time the midwife was checking my abdomen and probing for the heartbeat (I loooove hearing the baby heartbeat!). He was also nursing when we were discussing the prenatal classes, and we all joked that I didn't feel a need for the breastfeeding class

Oh, and the packet of papers also included a birth plan template. love it =)
#28 of 47 Old 07-13-2008, 02:33 AM

At my age (44) with twins, there's not much choice. I'm happy to be birthing in a hospital when the time comes. But I am planning to deliver vaginally. I'm not interested in a C-section, unless, at that moment, the babes are upside down and sideways to make it impossible. My goal is to actually deliver. Hope that works out as planned.
#29 of 47 Old 07-13-2008, 10:40 AM

I'll be at home with DH, my midwife, and our son!
#30 of 47 Old 07-16-2008, 08:57 AM

I'd love a home birth, but I'd have to work out child care for both kids since DD may be interested in watching the birth. Without my mom and sister in town, it makes planning that difficult. It may end up being a hospital birth. Regardless, it will be with a midwife.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page