Who is finding out sex? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 07-20-2008, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We didn't find out with either of our first two and I loved it. That said, DH has always wanted to know ahead of time. He lets me make the call on pretty much everything in birth and babies, even when it makes him uncomfortable, so I am giving him this. We actually already found out when I had a Level II u/s at 15w to follow up on my heavy bleed at 10w. After 2 wonderful girls, we are having our first boy! It has been fun knowing this time and it is giving DD1 time to adjust to the idea tha his name will not be Max (as in Max and Ruby) and DD2 was really upset at a boy, she had her heart set on a girl.
#32 of 51 Old 07-20-2008, 10:41 AM

I tink I won't find out this time. With my first 4 I found out as soon as I could. With my 5th I told the tech not to tell me, but when we got out in the hallway I chickened out and asked. This time around I really think I'll wait. I'm having a c-section, so I want some sort of surprise at the birth.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#33 of 51 Old 07-20-2008, 07:40 PM

We're not finding out. We were going to w/ ds but we didn't know we were suppose to ask so we just went with not knowing and I loved having the surprise. My sister said I should find out b/c it would be easier for her to shop for it

Plus, I like going with my gut (which is saying girl) and seeing if we're right or not (dh also thinks girl). We were right about ds so we'll see this time around if we are again...
#34 of 51 Old 07-20-2008, 08:14 PM

I dont do suprises! I need to know details so I can plan and be prepared. So we will find out.
#35 of 51 Old 07-21-2008, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnJade View Post
I dont do suprises! I need to know details so I can plan and be prepared. So we will find out.
You know it's still a surprise at 20 weeks just as much as at 40 To me, anyway!

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#36 of 51 Old 07-21-2008, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xakana View Post
You know it's still a surprise at 20 weeks just as much as at 40 To me, anyway!
I'd have to agree with that, Xakana.

I wouldn't be able to hold out the whole 9 months. lol

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#37 of 51 Old 07-21-2008, 10:12 AM

We'll find out. We did for the other two, too. Much to the dismay of family members though.
I like knowing. Good thing too, as I was convinced DS2 was a girl, until my 22wk u/s.
#38 of 51 Old 07-21-2008, 12:24 PM

I will be telling the u/s tech NOT to tell me what we are having. Now all I have to do is not peek & figure it out on my own
#39 of 51 Old 07-21-2008, 12:34 PM

We're leaving it a suprise this time. With DD there was NO way I wasn't going to find out. But for me, plsnning the nursery and shopping were really special times. But this time around, we're not doing a nursery, DD still sleeps in our room, as will this baby, and her room is mostly a playroom, and we'll be keeping it that way. So, other than getting clothes, which if its a girl, we're set, and if its a boy, well, all my friends had boys this time, or are about to have boys. I'll probably go buy a little of both towards the end for fun.

mom to Reaghan born underwater into midwife's hands 1/17/07 & Myra born surrounded by doulas and midwife at home 1/12/09. Birth Educator, and Photographer, Baby #3 Coming May 2013!

#40 of 51 Old 07-21-2008, 04:00 PM

We will not be finding out the gender. We didn't discover the gender of our first born until birth.

If I choose to have the "standard diagnostic" u/s done, I will not have a choice as the 2 hospitals that perform the test in my city have a policy of not telling the gender due to possible litigation. There is also no way of me "peeking" as policy has the tech keeping the screen away from the parents until all diagnostics have been preformed. The screen is only turned toward the parents when the "tour" is shown and most techs will scan over that region so quickly you can't tell anyway.

If I need to have subsequent u/s, I may be able to find out the gender through fetal assesment. But then again, it depends on the tech. The tech will also only give that information if both parents request it.

The only way I can find out the gender is to pay to have a private, non-medical u/s done. Around here its $500. An expense that isn't worth it to me (doctor/midwife requested u/s is covered my Medicare here).

The only difference I see in knowing the gender is in picking the name. My son wore mostly sleepers the first few months and we decorated his room to be gender neutral and functional until he reaches an age to care.
#41 of 51 Old 07-21-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnJade View Post
I dont do surprises either, and besides with our still born son I had the pleasure of calling him by his name for a few weeks and that gave me a chance to bond with him when I had no other chance. Besides I am a control freak.

sahm for Landon 1/07 and Simon 12/08 Aden 3/8/06
#42 of 51 Old 07-21-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adensmommy View Post
Besides I am a control freak.
:look

Me too! I'm a also a major knowledge hoarder. I collect info about anything that I could possibly need or want....so baby info is a definite need for me. lol

Kathy Soup
Loving wife to an amazing SAHD : Mommy to Aviendha 01/19/09
#43 of 51 Old 07-21-2008, 07:24 PM

Me! We didn't find out for the first one, as he wouldn't show anything in the u/s. I wasn't too distressed, but my husband was really disappointed in not knowing. It would be nice to plan this time around.

Mom to DS#1 and DS#2 fencing.gif
#44 of 51 Old 07-22-2008, 11:17 PM

Just made the appt. today. In 4 weeks we go to find out!!: I don't think I can wait that long!!

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#45 of 51 Old 07-23-2008, 12:44 AM

We'll find out...at the birth. I'm excited about it!
#46 of 51 Old 07-23-2008, 12:15 PM

We will be finding out...but I rather not do it through ultrasound! No other option, at this point, though! I am also a believer in keeping it a surprise until birth; however, my husband would like to know and since this is our last, I would like the opportunity in knowing this last time around! My ultrasound is scheduled for July 30th....only seven days until we hopefully know...if not because of baby's position...it was meant to be known at time of birth!

Christine (wife, mom, doula for 8 years, and midwifery student)
DD12, DS10, DS7, DS4.5, DS2.5, & #6, a boy, due mid-Sept. plan 5th home waterbirth

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36** stork-boy.gif 40**
#47 of 51 Old 07-24-2008, 12:42 AM

We found out at an ultrasound yesterday that it is boy #3!
#48 of 51 Old 07-24-2008, 09:26 AM

Congratulations on your boy Sbriton! It was getting on to that time when the Early January gals were going to start finding out. Me, I have to wait until around Labor Day.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#49 of 51 Old 07-25-2008, 02:00 AM

I thought we would have to wait a few more weeks to find out, but I have to have ultrasounds every other week. I was a little surprised when the ultrasound tech asked if wanted to know the gender - I thought it wasn't clear until 18 weeks. But sure enough, unless the baby has a small third leg, it's another boy!
#50 of 51 Old 07-25-2008, 11:50 AM

Congratulations on your boy!

We schedule our 20 week ultrasound today, I hope!

Kathy Soup
Loving wife to an amazing SAHD : Mommy to Aviendha 01/19/09
#51 of 51 Old 07-25-2008, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats sbriton!

My midwife wanted me to schedule the u/s later rather than earlier... I'm going to be on my honeymoon week 20 and was going to try to go beforehand, but she advised against it to be sure...

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page