Who is finding out sex? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 07-18-2008, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I set up my 20 week u/s at the midwife on Wednesday...

August 20 we should be able to find out if it's a girl or boy! I sooo cannot wait!!! I am like dying of curiousity!! lol

In one month I should know!! :

Anyone else??

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#2 of 51 Old 07-18-2008, 03:54 PM

Us!

I always say, I cannot help peeking at presents during Christmas...there is no way I could have a baby in me and not want to know what the sex is!

Kathy Soup
Loving wife to an amazing SAHD : Mommy to Aviendha 01/19/09
#3 of 51 Old 07-18-2008, 03:54 PM

We won't be finding out but I know we're in the minority!
#4 of 51 Old 07-18-2008, 04:05 PM

We will not be finding out. I hate the disappointment on Christmas when I already know what I'm getting. Not that the birth wouldn't be exciting either way, it's just that I L-O-V-E surprises. I LOVED the surprise when DD was born. It was amazing. I told DH I did not want to know with #1 and with #2 it would be up to him. He loved the surprise as much as I did. Plus, we knew people who were told they were having a boy, and a few months later out popped a girl. And while they do love their daughter, it took them a while to mourn the loss of their son. I would never want to go through that. Their doc had never been wrong before, and they are not the only people I know of that happening to, just the most recent as their daughter is a few months younger than my DD.

So, bottom line is no finding out here...we LOVE surprises too much! :

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#5 of 51 Old 07-18-2008, 04:07 PM

When I get the insurance so I can get an OB (or maybe before--a midwife has offered to order the tests for me) then yes, I'll be finding out if baby cooperates!

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#6 of 51 Old 07-18-2008, 04:34 PM

I have my Level II U/S on July 31 -I'll be 17 weeks and I really want to know. So hopefully we'll find out.
#7 of 51 Old 07-18-2008, 06:23 PM

We are soooo finding out! I knew with DS and really liked knowing. I like being able to buy clothes and plan too. That said I'm also not a huge fan of surprises. I would rather pick my own gifts, plan anniversaries, etc.

I'll be 20 weeks on Sept. 2nd. Can't wait!

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

#8 of 51 Old 07-18-2008, 06:59 PM

Saving it for a surprise here! The wait is agonizing, but I LOVE surprises. DS was a 'surprise', but I had been feeling since the beginning that he was a boy so it really wasn't all that much of a surprise for me.

Mommy to DS1 5/07 and DS2 1/09 , wife to an awesome hubby. And someone new coming in March!
#9 of 51 Old 07-18-2008, 08:01 PM

We did not find out with our son. This time we have decided to find out- it will be in late August/early Sept. I know my husband wants to know if he can shop for cute dresses or not. : I share that inclination. Also, we have having a hard time picking names. It will be easier with only 1 set to pick from!

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
#10 of 51 Old 07-18-2008, 08:19 PM

No way. The surprise with my first two was way too amazing not to do it again.
#11 of 51 Old 07-18-2008, 08:20 PM

We already found out we are having a boy. I had CVS done at 11 weeks and even if I hadn't wanted to find out I would have, because when the physician's assistant called to give me my preliminary results, she said "Right number of chromosomes, 13, 18, 21, X and Y." I said "Good thing I wanted to know the sex!"

It was also good to know in advance because my daughter needed some time to grieve that she wasn't getting a little sister. It would have been difficult if she had burst into tears right after the birth (as she did when we told her it was a boy).

Beth
DS (8), DD (5), #3 due 1/6/09
#12 of 51 Old 07-18-2008, 08:44 PM

I am going to be VERY surprised...when I find out next month!!!!

I CAN'T WAIT!!!! :
#13 of 51 Old 07-18-2008, 09:42 PM

I hate surprises with a passion in my soul. We are only having one ultrasound, so I surely hope this babe shows him/herself.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#14 of 51 Old 07-18-2008, 09:58 PM

I have to have one ultrasound at 18 weeks to determine placenta position (because of 2 previous c-sections.) So IF baby cooperates, I can't say I don't want to know.

I had to have an US with DS1 because of bleeding, but he kept his legs crossed--so we were surprised anyway.

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#15 of 51 Old 07-18-2008, 11:35 PM

We will found out too... Can't wait!

homeschooling mama to ella (9) and maya (5)
#16 of 51 Old 07-18-2008, 11:53 PM

We'll be finding out, we are not much for surprises. If it's another boy I don't have to do or plan a thing But if it's a girl I have to get new stuff!!

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#17 of 51 Old 07-19-2008, 12:25 AM

Yes. I am such a planner that I consider it a blessing to be able to find out!

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#18 of 51 Old 07-19-2008, 12:40 AM

We will wait for birth to know, the only time we ever knew the sex before birth was with #5, when the tech during my u/s for placental abruption let it slip, I am completely unable to keep that info to myself so everyone knew, it felt so wierd for other people to know something that seemed so intimate about me, I also like to have a weeks worth of boy and girl clothes ready at birth, it is so enjoyable to me to prepare for either.

Happy Gestating!
Sarah
#19 of 51 Old 07-19-2008, 12:43 AM

Each of my pregnancies has held it's own surprises. I like to know gender so I can plan, and I also choose my names early so I can speak to the baby by name. I suppose I would feel awful if it was called wrong, but the u/s tech that works in my OB's office is so conservative that she would never "just guess" based on a hunch or a partial view. If she can't get full frontal cooperation she leaves it "indeterminate".

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#20 of 51 Old 07-19-2008, 01:14 AM

Well, we were going to, but I just figured out we have worse insurance than I thought... they aren't going to cover ANYTHING until I meet the $5,000 pregnancy deductible. (I found that out the hard way after winding up with a $263.95 bill for the doctor running the OB panel, which my midwife could have done for $70... Whoops.)

I was already on the fence about the 20 week u/s, and since I really don't feel like I need it (I'm very confident this is a healthy, normal pregnancy and baby), I can't justify the $500+ out-of-pocket. Amazing that I'd be paying almost as much for one procedure as one-third of my midwife's entire fee - a "whopping" $1700!

Aaaanyway, I'll be a little jealous of y'all who are finding out, but we're actually pretty excited for it to be a surprise.
#21 of 51 Old 07-19-2008, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjismom View Post
It was also good to know in advance because my daughter needed some time to grieve that she wasn't getting a little sister. It would have been difficult if she had burst into tears right after the birth (as she did when we told her it was a boy).
That, too, only with me. If this is another girl, I'm going to be mad. And I don't want to be the first thing I feel when I see my new baby. Given a few weeks, I'll get over it (I did with Lilly) and I'll be excited about another little girl once I'm used to it.

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#22 of 51 Old 07-19-2008, 02:46 AM

We will wait til birth to find out. We waited with our DD too and it was suspenseful but in a totally good way. I had a feeling all through pregnancy that she was a girl though so it wasn't really a surprise. I've got boy feelings with this one so we shall see!

11/06 and 1/09 :
#23 of 51 Old 07-19-2008, 08:51 AM

I'm in the finding out camp. We've known with all 3 of ours. Level II ultrasound is already scheduled for Aug. 13th!

Melissa, loving wife love.gif and mama to 4 girls now! DD 12, DD 10 1/2, DD 4, DD 2 Happily homeschool.gif, doing lots of hang.gif very little sleeping.gifof and as much as I can knit.gifsewmachine.gif reading.gif
#24 of 51 Old 07-19-2008, 10:42 AM

we weren't going to with DS... but then we did. and we weren't going to with this one... but at the u/s where they found my fibroid, they asked if i wanted to know, and i couldn't help myself!! i'm terrible with surprises. i ALWAYS want to know. we're trying to keep it a secret from everyone else, but i'm bad at that, too.
so we already know (although 12 weeks is pretty early to be 100% sure about it), but we're not telling.

(by the way, it was good that i found out with DS because both DH and i were convinced he was a girl, and it took me until he was born - and even a little longer! - to get used to the idea that he was not a she!)
#25 of 51 Old 07-19-2008, 11:03 AM

We won't be finding out. We didn't with our other two and I love the surprise at birth!

Molly, mama to my 3 sweet boys.
: : hale:
#26 of 51 Old 07-19-2008, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjismom View Post

That is a big thing with us too... DSD is very adamant that she is having a little sister and when we try to tell her she may have a little brother she gets very upset. I know she is not going to take it well if we are having a boy... so hopefully 4 months she can adjust some to that idea. : If we are having a boy that is...

If it's a girl... then she just has to get over that we aren't naming it Dora. She is telling everyone and anyone who will listen that her Jen is having a baby and her little sister's name will be Dora. lol

She actually just asked me this week how Baby Dora is doing, and I gently explained it's either Baby Kalie or Baby Ethan. lol

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#27 of 51 Old 07-19-2008, 08:46 PM

We'll be finding out, baby willing. I figure we'll be surprised whenever we find out =) We did consider not finding out, but we enjoyed knowing with our son and I'm excited! Our ultrasound is on Aug. 19.

Oh, and for those of you who don't want to know, if you are having an ultrasound, I REALLY suggest telling the tech/doctor *first thing* that you don't want to know. Luckily we did--when we had our ultrasound with our son, the tech put the view on the area in question and asked if we wanted to know, but we didn't need her to tell us! My son was verrrrry obviously proud of being a boy and wanted us to know
#28 of 51 Old 07-19-2008, 10:36 PM

I love, love, LOVE a good surprise, so with DD, I talked DH into waiting under the pretense that with future PGs, we could find out.

So, this time, I left it up to him. He's not a fan of surprises, but I really am OK either way, this time, so I left the decision up to him. He thought about it for about a day and then told me, "You know, I really loved finding out the gender at DD's birth, and I want to wait this time, too."

There really is something magical - and something fun and exciting to labor toward (besides the baby, of course!).
#29 of 51 Old 07-20-2008, 05:01 AM

We're going to be surprised, much to the chagrin of many of my friends. We've got twins coming and we just don't want to know. One of the few surprises left in the world. Yes, of course, I'm curious but I'm ok with not knowing in this case. We were surprised with DD when she arrived as well and it was great!
#30 of 51 Old 07-20-2008, 07:51 AM

I don't think we'll be finding out ahead of time. I'd like to find out once I can hold the baby and see for myself!

Maman to Mlle. C born 2/22/09, Due with #2 at the end of May 2013

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page