Medical Bills - How much will yours be? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 08-05-2008, 01:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nothing. My dh is a Marine so our health care is free.

ETA: Oops. Forgot about the doula. Since my dh will be in Iraq again there is an organization that gives free doulas to military wives giving birth while their husbands are deployed, but I'm not sure if they're in the area. If they are, I may meet with a doula through them, like her and decide to go that route. If not, I'll pay out of pocket for a doula.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#32 of 52 Old 08-05-2008, 05:39 AM

I'd just like to remind everyone that even if it is covered 100% by a private or state plan it is still costing you money, either in taxes or in $$ not going to wages. Healthcare does cost $$ and while there are a lot of ways to pay for it, we nearly all pay for it one way or the other. We paid only $200 out of pocket for my son. Our insurance company paid over $60,000 after adjustments. (NICU, complications with delivery). The insurance was mostly paid for by the department store my husband then worked at. Now our insurance is paid for by the hospital he works for. If we were on a state plan, we would not pay along with our employers, but our taxes would pay for it.

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
#33 of 52 Old 08-05-2008, 08:57 AM

I am actually returning to Ontario in a few weeks due to the fact that we are paying out of pocket overseas and being reimbursed through my DH's American insurance. We only have a 10 dollar co-pay but it is expensive to pay up front and then pay back. Plus I will have insurance through my work so I will upgrade to a private room for a small fee. I know so far that I have paid over a thousand dollars on this pregnancy.

Mama to two loqacious and bouncy boys.
#34 of 52 Old 08-05-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijip View Post
I'd just like to remind everyone that even if it is covered 100% by a private or state plan it is still costing you money, either in taxes or in $$ not going to wages. Healthcare does cost $$ and while there are a lot of ways to pay for it, we nearly all pay for it one way or the other. We paid only $200 out of pocket for my son. Our insurance company paid over $60,000 after adjustments. (NICU, complications with delivery). The insurance was mostly paid for by the department store my husband then worked at. Now our insurance is paid for by the hospital he works for. If we were on a state plan, we would not pay along with our employers, but our taxes would pay for it.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#35 of 52 Old 08-06-2008, 02:40 PM

Well, altogether it's going to cost us probably 2500. We are planning a homebirth so we have to pay for all of that ourselves but we're using cnm's as backup and that's covered completely by medicaid.
#36 of 52 Old 08-06-2008, 03:21 PM

Our OOP will be around $550. Ins is 90/10. We have to pay for U/S's if they are not medically needed.
#37 of 52 Old 08-06-2008, 04:53 PM

the US medical system seems so inhumane!

in the canadian provinces of British Columbia, Ontario, and Quebec both OB/GYN and midwifery care is covered by our provincial public health insurance (as is home or birth centre/hospital birth - totally covered). you can't have both an OB/GYN and a midwife, you have to choose one or the other. but if your pregnancy becomes high risk your midwife will transfer you to an OB/GYN. i believe Alberta and Nova Scotia are in the process of legalizing midwifery so that it will become covered by the healthcare insurance systems there.

in British Columbia (where i live) midwives can deliver in hospitals (this varies from province to province), so even though i have a midwife i have chosen to deliver in a hospital and will be able to have an epidural if i chose to. also if i need an emergency C-section this will also be covered by our provincial health insurance.

in my opinion this process offers the best of both worlds.

i don't understand how middle and low-income mothers/families in the USA can do it. i know our taxes are a bit higher here, but they aren't outrageous and as a result we get great health care (and subsidized university too!)
#38 of 52 Old 08-06-2008, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean6 View Post
i don't understand how middle and low-income mothers/families in the USA can do it. i know our taxes are a bit higher here, but they aren't outrageous and as a result we get great health care (and subsidized university too!)
Luckily medical bills are interest free. We just paid $100-200 a month until my bills from DS were gone (right before his 2nd birthday....).

How much are taxes in Canada? In NJ our sales tax is 7% but property tax is very high. Thats why we don't have a house yet. For a small home (2-3 bedrooms from $250-300K) in our area they are atleast $5000 a year. I'm pretty sure 18-20% comes out of DH's paycheck but we did get back a little this year... maybe 2-3%.

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

#39 of 52 Old 08-06-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmagoo View Post
Also on OHIP, so nothing. I could have a c-section, hospital birth, or homebirth and it wouldn't cost a cent.

That being said, OHIP only cover a ward room in the hospital, so some women have to share with 3 others. Our insurance through DH's work covers a semi-private. With my daughter, I upgraded to a private when one became available the second night, and it cost us something like $30.

With my son, we had a hospital birth with a MW, so we only stayed 2 hrs. after birth. I anticipate that this time will be the same, or we'll have a homebirth.
Where are you around?...The ward thing really bothered me when I thought I would have to have a hospital birth with ds(thank goodness he came so quick we had him at home lol) but when we went to cobourg hospital for a tour they said yes yuo may have to share but it had only happened twice since opening at that point...really nice hospital if your around there

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#40 of 52 Old 08-06-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganBsMom View Post
I am so envious of you all!! I have a private health insurance with no maternity coverage. I applied for the states healthy kids insurance for pregnant women, we miss the income cutoff by about $200 a month, ughhh.

So, for office care, delivery charge and 2 ultrasounds is $3200
I already owe about $700 in lab work fees.
The best I can figure is my hospital charge will be somewhere between $6000 to $10,000 (hopefully the lower end with all natural birth and 1 night stay). So I am in for a total of between $10,000- $15,000, just in medical bills, nevermind all the other stuff.

It is very depressing, as we really don't make that much money, and with the cost of everything going up so much we are really starting to struggle. The cost to have this baby is going to be about 1/3 of our yearly income, but we don't qualify for and assistance, figure that one out!

Oh well, gottal love surprise babies!!!
WOW!!! And the government still doesn't believe in "federal" healthcare?!?!

I don't know how you do it! Stronger women then I

#41 of 52 Old 08-06-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn237 View Post
Luckily medical bills are interest free. We just paid $100-200 a month until my bills from DS were gone (right before his 2nd birthday....).

How much are taxes in Canada? In NJ our sales tax is 7% but property tax is very high. Thats why we don't have a house yet. For a small home (2-3 bedrooms from $250-300K) in our area they are atleast $5000 a year. I'm pretty sure 18-20% comes out of DH's paycheck but we did get back a little this year... maybe 2-3%.
Truthfully where we are(suburb in ontario) taxes are around the same I believe...BUT i know our personal property taxes are much cheaper...but dh got the same taken off his paycheck(before he was laid off lol)

#42 of 52 Old 08-06-2008, 07:41 PM

$4,500 midwife, $500 doula, plus prenatals. If I have to transfer to the hospital, then about 10% of whatever that will cost.

It's really demoralizing, isn't it? Envious does not begin to describe what I feel toward you lucky Canadian mamas!
#43 of 52 Old 08-07-2008, 09:27 PM

the income tax in canada depends on how much you make of course.
i make about $50k and have about 25% of my income taken off each paycheque, but this is not just income tax (my tax contribution is just over 17%) - the remainder includes unemployment insurance and the canadian pension plan contributions.
as for property tax that is entirely dependent on the community that you live in (not really dependent on province) and the worth of the property itself. i'm a renter so i can't really speak to property taxes.
#44 of 52 Old 08-08-2008, 09:21 PM

i just have to clarify that midwifery is legal in Alberta, it's just not funded yet. i have a certified, registered midwife but i have to pay out of pocket because it is not yet funded by provincial health care. : hopefully soon.

Mummy to dd (Jan 13, '07) born by emergency c-section at 35 weeks due to severe pre-e  :ribboncesarean.gif and ds (Jan 30 '09) :hbac.gif and stork-suprise.gif    (06/11)
#45 of 52 Old 08-11-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
Where are you around?...The ward thing really bothered me when I thought I would have to have a hospital birth with ds(thank goodness he came so quick we had him at home lol) but when we went to cobourg hospital for a tour they said yes yuo may have to share but it had only happened twice since opening at that point...really nice hospital if your around there
I don't think our hospital actually has ward rooms for L&D anymore. There would have to be quite the baby boom. : It now has LDRP rooms, so one room from start to finish.

With my daughter, I was in a labour room, moved to a delivery room becuase of meconium, then in a semi for a night, and then a private the second night.

With my son, I was in the new LDRP rooms, but I only stayed for 2 hours after his birth.

From what I hear, they will double post partum moms in the new rooms if necessary, but people are so quickly sent home that I don't think it's usually a problem.
#46 of 52 Old 08-11-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
in British Columbia (where i live) midwives can deliver in hospitals (this varies from province to province), so even though i have a midwife i have chosen to deliver in a hospital and will be able to have an epidural if i chose to. also if i need an emergency C-section this will also be covered by our provincial health insurance.
Hospital privileges really vary from town to town. Where my parents live, midwives do not have hospital privileges. Where I live, (at least at the time of my son's birth) they can deliver babies in hospitals, but cannot maintain epidurals, even though they are trained to do so. It's just the policy of that hospital. If I were to go to the hospital under the care of a MW, and choose an epidural, my care would be transferred to the on call OB, and my MW would then remain but only as a support to me. She would not deliver the baby. It really is ridiculous. It just serves to keep midwives from practicing to their full capacity and also denies women their full range of options in birthing.
#47 of 52 Old 08-12-2008, 07:21 PM

We are currently pregnant with baby #6 due between jan 11th-13th.

our first 3 were birth center births and all we had to pay was co-pays of $10-$15 per provider visit and any perscritions that were written out. My husband had great medical coverage at the time so there was very little cost. I stayed 2 days in the birth center for the 1st baby, 12hrs for the 2nd baby, and 1 day for the 3rd.

For baby #4 we had a homebirth with a CPM who charged $2000 for all our prenatal visits, one home visit prior to the birth, her presence and assistance at the birth, her apprentice, and 3 home visits postpartum. Basic urine tests and blood glucose were included, but any extra needed labs or u/s (which we didnt have) were extra. Our insurance at that time paid a good share, but we had $800 out of pocket to deal with plus the homebirth kit(which was mostly a bunch of nonsense, we could have used stuff hanging around the house with a couple minimal purchases at Wal-Mart). We were pretty tight on $ at that point in our lives, so we also bartered a $400 computer system and had $400 left to pay, which we did at a rate of between $80-$100 a month.

For baby #5 we decided on a Uc homebirth. I had prenatal care done thru a local OB and our insurance covered 100% of those exams includnig labs and u/s. Our only expenses were our birth pool, which was about $40. We had plenty of sheets and towels and tarps and all those goodies on hand at home. Oh yea, we might have spent about $6-7 in parts to hook our garden hose up to the bathroom sink, but it was next to nothing cost wise. We plan to do the same this time around for #6, and will only have the expense of another pool again. (Our cats got a little too exuberant when we stored the last one!)

SAHM Wiccan mama to 4boys, 3girls and 3 angels.
UC/UP/EBF/AP/CD/BW, Waterbirthing, Homeschooling, no circ, no vax.
Expecting #8 on Dec 6th, 2011

#48 of 52 Old 08-12-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmagoo View Post
Hospital privileges really vary from town to town. Where my parents live, midwives do not have hospital privileges. Where I live, (at least at the time of my son's birth) they can delivery babies in hospitals, but cannot maintain epidurals, even though they are trained to do so. It's just the policy of that hospital. If I were to go to the hospital under the care of a MW, and choose an epidural, my care would be transferred to the on call OB, and my MW would then remain but only as a support to me. She would not deliver the baby. It really is ridiculous. It just serves to keep midwives from practicing to their full capacity and also denies women their full range of options in birthing.
WOW!!! I never heard of this! Where I am...in Ontario(Durham region)

Midwives can deliver at home(or your choice of place..ie..friends house, ect). at the designated hospitals(mine work out of two(one really nice relaxed hospital(after 37 weeks), and one thats more medical and works with preemies)
They cannot administer drugs ie. epiderals but if you want that its called in and the dr gives it to you and then the midwives monitor you and are still your prime care giver...

Also if its home birth they "check in" on you atleast 3 times that first week(WHICH IS GREAT) and they follow up with you and babe for the first 6 weeks
Hospital birth they visit you in the hospital until you go home then im not sure if they visit you at home or you go to them.
All covered by ohip

PS...epiderals are covered with ohip....curious as to how much they "cost"?

#49 of 52 Old 08-12-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
They cannot administer drugs ie. epiderals but if you want that its called in and the dr gives it to you and then the midwives monitor you and are still your prime care giver...
That is how it should be, and they all have that training, but it's a restriction imposed by the hospital. Supid, I know. But, it's that extra motivation to go drug free. :

Where I am, they can do homebirths or hospital births, which I don't think was totally clear in my previous post.

I had my son in hospital. They still do the post partum home visits. We got visits at 12 hours, day 3, and day 5. After that, you go to them at 2 weeks, and again at 6 weeks. After that, mom and baby's care is transferred to the family Dr.

Oh, and they also do one regular prenatal check up at home, so that they know where you live before you go into labour. Chances are really good that they'll be at your house to check you out even if you're planning a hospital birth.
#50 of 52 Old 08-17-2008, 09:56 PM

Honestly fairly close to $0. We're planning a UC, so all of that is free. lol We will have to pay for my prenatal care with my midwife, and I'm not sure how much that is apart from a birth. I know we paid $900 or so for DS' hospital induction birth + prenatal care, so I can't imagine prenatal care will be much.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#51 of 52 Old 08-18-2008, 02:37 AM

Quote:
In most US states, all low income mothers qualify for free prenatal and delivery insurance through the state (some cover midwives). In many states, moderate income women can get pregnancy medical coverage via the state for little to no out of pocket cost. In fact, low and moderate income families can buy state insurance for all services in my state for a reasonable cost. It's sliding scale, and the income limit for a family of 4 is just over $4400 a month. We have a much higher income than that and we get insurance through my husband's part-time employer. I am not saying I don't wish there was a federal system in place, but there are more options than just paying out of pocket for many families here. I do feel bad for moderate income mamas in states where they don't have a better state program for maternity health coverage.

#52 of 52 Old 08-18-2008, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganBsMom View Post
I am so envious of you all!! I have a private health insurance with no maternity coverage. I applied for the states healthy kids insurance for pregnant women, we miss the income cutoff by about $200 a month, ughhh.
If you can lower your income by $201 a month, I'd consider doing it. My friend was $100 over the limit for having her day care paid for by the state. As a single mama, she needed that assistance. You'd think a more reasonable system would have her pay that $100 towards the childcare rather than say "well, you make $100 extra, so here, you pay the full $900 monthly bill now.": So she talked to her employer and they agreed to give her that $100 as an expense reimbursement. Some might think this is bad, but what other choice did she have? A $900 bill would have meant choosing between rent and food. Another option is to see if your hours can be cut slightly to drop you to the limit. They will let you reapply.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page