Medical Bills - How much will yours be? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2008, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm getting sick of medical bills already! I know I shouldn't complain because we do have insurance, even if its not super. But I feel like most of my friends pay $100 for the hospital and are done.... So, how much will yours be?

Midwives - $2860 ($6250 out of pocket at 30 weeks... should be reimbursed about 60% after we hit our $600 out of network deductible a few months later)

Bloodwork - $300 so far

Hospital - 20% which they said is about $1000-$1400 a day - can't HBAC with a midwife in NJ or they can lose their license

Ultrasounds, etc. - 20% $???? I really want to find out the sex but if its going to be a lot we can't afford it.

DS was almost $3000 in bills but I had a sucky induction and c/s. You'd think having a nice VBAC with a mw would be cheaper.

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2008, 02:36 PM

Sneaking in from November...

With our private insurance I would have owed the doc $200 for the pregnancy, and 20% of all the hospital visits. All my ultrasounds were covered 100%, but we owe 20% for the amnio.

Our income recently dropped, and our states medicaid program picked me up so we won't owe anything.

Our old insurance we had a $5000 deductable, and then they only paid 70%, I'm so glad to have good insurance this time around!

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:05 PM

i was up until 2 this morning trying to figure this out. we had AWESOME insurance with DS. i think we paid $235 all together including 5 days in the hospital (3 of which i was in labor). of course it has changed in the 2 years since, and now we have co-insurance... after we reach the deductible. i think if the baby were to be born this year, the most we'd pay out of pocket for the whole year (so maternity care included) would be $1,000. since the baby is due in the next calendar year, we go back to zero with our deductibles, so we'll be paying at least another $1,000... unless we switch to a more expensive plan that would cost us almost that much more in premiums. Still haven't decided. (Still can't quite make sense of all the paperwork.)
I know it could be TONS worse, but it was a shock to go from paying very little to paying medical bills all the time.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:25 PM

Our "insurance" has a $5650 deductable per calendar year. And I'm due two weeks into January! Ha! So probably NOTHING is covered! Even if I end up in the hospital. (unfortunately likely since I've had two c-sections, but I'm hoping and planning not!)

Even if I somehow hit the deductable (hope not--only would happen if one of us has a catastrophe) they only reimburse up to $1500 for doctor/midwife fees and $3000 for hospital fees.

So, so far it's cost me $4000 for midwife and $165 for one blood test. In two weeks I have to have an ultrasound that I have no idea what the fee is but I'm guessing $500-$600 based on the bill from my doctor (different place) last time.

It just makes me mad that we're even paying for "insurance." And maternity coverage to boot! Over $1000/month for the four of us! And it never covers ANYTHING! We're definately switching as soon as the baby is born!

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

Old 08-03-2008, 04:43 PM

When all is said and done, (if things go as planned) we'll have spent about $1500 out of pocket for our midwife attended homebirth.

Not included in that is the birth kit, tub, etc. or vitamins. No yoga or doula - can't afford it.

Molly, mama to my 3 sweet boys.
: : hale:
Old 08-03-2008, 07:40 PM

OH MY GOSH!!! are you all kidding????

So far this baby has cost me prenatal vitamins and ensure!

THANK GOD FOR OHIP!!! I really don't know how we could afford to have a baby if we didn't live in Canada!

It cost us NOTHING to have our son, my dh even loved that we didn't have to pay gas to get to the hospital or parking since he was homebirthed....we're planning nothing for this birth as well

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 08-03-2008, 07:57 PM

our midwife will cost us $3000. Alberta does not yet cover midwifery in their health insurance plan. they are talking about it but it hasn't happened yet.

Mummy to dd (Jan 13, '07) born by emergency c-section at 35 weeks due to severe pre-e  :ribboncesarean.gif and ds (Jan 30 '09) :hbac.gif and stork-suprise.gif    (06/11)
Old 08-03-2008, 07:59 PM

DD cost me $30, that was two 15 co pays since I switched provider from OB to midwife!

Cop pays have gone up for birth centers to $150. I have to pay $100 for the overseeing Dr to approve me (BMI issues, high but borderline), then $175 for the tub, my last birth center covered it all, so..... but I stay here it will be a little over $500 for the birth, vitamins and travel to appts

mom to Reaghan born underwater into midwife's hands 1/17/07 & Myra born surrounded by doulas and midwife at home 1/12/09. Birth Educator, and Photographer, Baby #3 Coming May 2013!

Old 08-03-2008, 08:12 PM

i should add that with dd's birth in Jan 07 we didn't pay a thing. i had an OB, emergency hospital stay over Christmas, emergency c-section, 16 day stay in the NICU, breast pump rental, and 1week hospitalization for PPD and we never saw a bill. we were living in Toronto then. if we went with an OB for this one it would be free too, but i really want a midwife.

Mummy to dd (Jan 13, '07) born by emergency c-section at 35 weeks due to severe pre-e  :ribboncesarean.gif and ds (Jan 30 '09) :hbac.gif and stork-suprise.gif    (06/11)
Old 08-03-2008, 09:05 PM

Probably close to 2000$, all told. The midwife's actual fee is 1500, plus a mileage fee (about 150$) plus 80$ for the birth tub, plus about 100$ so far for supplements (!!) plus gas to and from prenatal appointments (which is an hour each way, so not negligible).

My hospital birth with my first cost us roughly 800$ out of pocket. So the midwife is more expensive- SO worth it, though. I'm getting much better care this time.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:11 PM

If all goes perfectly, I'll have paid $1700 to the midwife, something like $50 for homebirth supplies, a little extra for a GBS test (done by the midwife, not sure of the cost yet), and about $125 total to the back-up OB. So, a grand total of less than $2000.

(Then, there's the $160 the doctor is trying to get me to pay for tests I didn't authorize... but that should be resolved through an insurance dispute. Grr.)

If I end up transferring... ick. I have a $5000 maternity deductible, so even though the baby is due in January, that carries over. After $5000, insurance kicks in for in-network providers at 80%. I would be looking at up to another $2500 out-of-pocket before insurance hits 100%. That would be on top of what I'd paid to the midwife, so... I'd probably be looking at close to $10,000 by the time it was all said and done.

We're definitely hoping that DOESN'T happen.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:52 PM

We have private insurance and I have a $1500 deductible- so that is what I will end up paying I am sure. But I was clever and ended signing up for AFLAC- so they will pay me- so I don't think it will cost a thing....

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 08-03-2008, 10:59 PM

My midwife hasnt told me what their fees are yet! I';m hoping to find out on the 12th. I'll have to ask. I think my first u/s was $25, I assume the second will be about the same. I believe all the blood work I had done (3 betas and a prenatal screening) was about $75-$100. Our insurance will pay 80% of whatever the midwife costs, so I just need to find out

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
Old 08-03-2008, 11:03 PM

Our deductible is $500 and then we'll pay 20% after that...$1000 max OOP. I usually only stay 1 day in the hospital, no epidural, essentially just R&B, so it's not too bad. We didn't even hit our $1000 OOP last time.

But, those of you with insurance through employers, be thankful to them. My dh is self-employed with his own small business, and our family's monthly premium alone is $1400. That doesn't include the $450 that we pay for each of our employees that are covered.

Melissa, loving wife love.gif and mama to 4 girls now! DD 12, DD 10 1/2, DD 4, DD 2 Happily homeschool.gif, doing lots of hang.gif very little sleeping.gifof and as much as I can knit.gifsewmachine.gif reading.gif
Old 08-03-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwerydd View Post
our midwife will cost us $3000. Alberta does not yet cover midwifery in their health insurance plan. they are talking about it but it hasn't happened yet.
Thats really sad! HOPEFULLY SOON!!!!! I wish it would just go straight across the board for all Provinces

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 08-03-2008, 11:22 PM

I have a $600 deductible so it will be around that much. We've met our family deductible for the year so most of my lab and u/s will be paid for. So on one hand it would be nice to deliver this year so that I would have still met the deductible.

I think the hospital will be around $4500 and the doctor will be $3500. For the baby it will all be around $800.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Old 08-04-2008, 02:08 AM

$0 for the birth. Thank goodness for OHIP, I wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise.

Mom to DS#1 and DS#2 fencing.gif
Old 08-04-2008, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
Thats really sad! HOPEFULLY SOON!!!!! I wish it would just go straight across the board for all Provinces
i know. it's regulated here but not funded. : we've been appealing to the conservatives sense of greed by telling them midwifery is cheaper. they seem to finally be listening. but government is slow so i'm not expecting anything soon, certainly not in time for this baby.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:22 AM

Well, our insurance will pay a lot but we will only pay $200 +30 out of pocket. Everything else is covered by insurance. The $200 is our co-pay for the pregnancy and birth. The $30 is two $15 co-pays for providers I saw once and opted not to use. All blood work and the 5 ultrasounds I have had due to a history is recurrent miscarriages have been covered 100%. We see a private practice midwife and will be birthing at a hospital birth center that is mostly midwives and has an only 12% c-section rate. This is a VBAC.

My husband works for a large not for profit hospital. Their insurance is stellar, one of the reasons why he applied to work there. Our insurance is 100% employer paid for my husband and my son (and the new baby) and we pay a tiny monthly amount to add me. I suppose that is a cost, but one that I would be incurring regardless of if I was pregnant or not.

Other birth related expenditures will be:

-$275 for a labor tub from a private service
-$150 for the hypnobabies self study course
-$225 for a intensive birthing class

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
OH MY GOSH!!! are you all kidding????

So far this baby has cost me prenatal vitamins and ensure!

THANK GOD FOR OHIP!!! I really don't know how we could afford to have a baby if we didn't live in Canada!

It cost us NOTHING to have our son, my dh even loved that we didn't have to pay gas to get to the hospital or parking since he was homebirthed....we're planning nothing for this birth as well
canada is SO different from the situation in the US. i realized that very clearly when i watched documentarian michael moore's film, SICK.

we're on HMO so most likely none of our self-selected homebirth midwife costs will be covered ($4000 all inclusive, + a bit more for lab fees, tub rental, etc.). BUT, given hospital births are more expensive, i'm guessing even if we were to chose that and insurance covered some of it, we'd be at a similar grand total in the end.

our backup OB/GYN _is_ covered by insurance so will be $40 copay per visit i think.

DD 12/08
Old 08-04-2008, 08:47 AM

$20.00: with a midwife.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:58 AM

Well -

For DS#1 - NOTHING. I was working for a health insurance co at the time - so all covered.

For DS #2 - $150.00 for homebirth - we had Anthem and they cover midwifes at home.

This Baby - Oh around $2000 - not sure yet because I am hoping our midwife will offer a "reduced" rate - since our insurance does not cover HB's or midwife care at home. Even tho...if we had a hospital birth - it would be the same amt (or more if there were interventions leading to CS) - because we have 20% coinsurance. Pretty crummy - but I know our midwife will accept payments or what not...still - I will want to get it paid ASAP - because I don't like owing anything..ever!

Traci
Old 08-04-2008, 11:51 AM

I am so truly grateful for OHIP. I simply cannot imagine paying thousands out of pocket for prenatal care and delivery.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:21 PM

Also on OHIP, so nothing. I could have a c-section, hospital birth, or homebirth and it wouldn't cost a cent.

That being said, OHIP only cover a ward room in the hospital, so some women have to share with 3 others. Our insurance through DH's work covers a semi-private. With my daughter, I upgraded to a private when one became available the second night, and it cost us something like $30.

With my son, we had a hospital birth with a MW, so we only stayed 2 hrs. after birth. I anticipate that this time will be the same, or we'll have a homebirth.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:17 PM

$2400 midwifery care (we do not expect to be reimbursed)

$300-$400 Chiropractic care (with insurance)

$400 for a pregnancy's worth of prenatal yoga (twice weekly)

Probably about $500 in prenatal vitamins, supplements, nursing bras, maternity clothes, and some new baby gear

These are the things I "include" in what a pregnancy costs. I would consider adding the potential extra costs of marital counseling and I have a really bad varicose vein this time that goes from ankle to groin, and I'm probably going to need to have that surgically treated when I'm done having kids

First kid, we had a birthing center birth that was around $3000 for the whole shebang. We had insurance and they covered the birthing center. BUT, we had a $1000 deductible for both years I was pregnant (2006-2007, they charged the whole deductible for BOTH years for the SAME pregnancy!!!!) So we paid $2000 out of pocket anyway. Plus we paid out of pocket for US, blood tests, etc. So what's the diff, kwim?
Old 08-04-2008, 03:52 PM

I am so envious of you all!! I have a private health insurance with no maternity coverage. I applied for the states healthy kids insurance for pregnant women, we miss the income cutoff by about $200 a month, ughhh.

So, for office care, delivery charge and 2 ultrasounds is $3200
I already owe about $700 in lab work fees.
The best I can figure is my hospital charge will be somewhere between $6000 to $10,000 (hopefully the lower end with all natural birth and 1 night stay). So I am in for a total of between $10,000- $15,000, just in medical bills, nevermind all the other stuff.

It is very depressing, as we really don't make that much money, and with the cost of everything going up so much we are really starting to struggle. The cost to have this baby is going to be about 1/3 of our yearly income, but we don't qualify for and assistance, figure that one out!

Oh well, gottal love surprise babies!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 04:37 PM

I'd hope that your hospital would have some sort of payment plan, LoganBsMom, so you can stretch out the payments over some years. I think they'd rather have that than a default (not that you would, but in general). You should definitely talk to them about that.

I think my OB will be about $600 (insurance picks up the rest). I don't know about the hospital stay yet. I haven't "preregistered." I'm trying to forget that.

Luckily, ultrasounds in the Ob practice are included, but I don't know about my Level II and amnio - I'm waiting for the bill.

Plus I'm doing acupuncture to try to avoid pre-e, and sometimes my insurance covers it, sometimes it doesn't. Also, I'm taking multiple vitamins such as prenatals, EFAs, celery, garlic, calcium, and I'm going to start taking some herbs, again in the name of avoiding pre-e and keeping my BP down.

I'm going to guess around 2K after all is said and done.

Sometimes I envy the UCers and you lucky Canadians, but with my pre-existing health problems, I know I need the care I'm getting.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:33 PM

Well, I have insurance through my job which will pay 100% (or 80%? but I think 100%) after the deductible is paid, but the deductible is $3000. Each year. To be fair, my job actually puts that money in an HSA but we'd already spent it this year before we knew I was pg on other medical things like new glasses amd ear infections. So we have to cover it this year and then in Jan, when the hospital bills come due, work should cover the deductible. *fingers crossed*

Right now, we've been billed $2222 approx for my OB appts, which covers prenatal care but not U/Ss. I haven't seen a bill for those yet. I also have to see an endocrinologist 1x a month and I have to get blood work done periodically. Then there's the hospital bills. Add in meds, blood sugar test strips, prenatal yoga classes, birthing classes, maternity clothes...*deep breaths*

Oh, and my doula will be $500.

I think it's going to work out that we'll pay $3000 this year, plus classes and meds and the doula, and then work will pay the next $3000 and that'll be it. It's a shock though because last time I wasn't working and we qualified for the state pregnancy program, so I never paid a dime for any of it.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:37 PM

Free! Yay. Denali Kid Care covers pregnant women and everything is free, prenatal care, your birth (homebirth/birth center/hospital/etc), etc. Even if you are living with a partner, their income doesn't count, unlike medicaid. :

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
Old 08-04-2008, 08:31 PM

I think ours will cost us $250.00.. I think. We have no fees for prenatal care as long as we're in network and I believe we have a 250.00 hospital deductible. We'll see how it turns out.

With my last one we had different insurance and we'd paid probably a little under 700.00 or so out of well more than 30K! I had a C-section and that alone with hospital was 27K. I guess I shouldn't complain about our insurance. We also had a doula last time which was another 800.00.

We do pay almost 300.00 a month for our insurance through my husband's work, so it's really like paying 1200.00 for the year for myself.

homeschooling mama to ella (9) and maya (5)

User Tag List