I don't want a nursing bra - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-20-2008, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need a maternity bra. Or anything really that will support my growing bosom. I'm not a fan of nursing bras. I haven't found one easy to use or practical for me. I like the Blue Canoe bras but I can't say that they are necessarily supportive. I wore sports bras through my other pregnancy, but I must be a bit bustier this time because I'm getting rashes. I need something supportive that doesn't mash them together. Am I looking for something non-existent?

Any suggestions?
#2 of 8 Old 08-20-2008, 04:54 PM

'big girl' bras do this for me. the whole '18 hour' thing, ykwim?

i pay a lil more but the straps are wider and they seem to be cut more generously in the underarm area where i still have a lot of, ahem, breast.

I'm still nursing too so I get them a lil bigger around so I have the room to pull them up.

Sports bras never did it for me, way too much squishing.
#3 of 8 Old 08-20-2008, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks- I think I'm going to try that! Yanking it up for nursing is a lot more practical for me.

At this point I'm willing to pay almost anything so I will definitely look into them!
#4 of 8 Old 08-20-2008, 11:33 PM

I didn't mean to imply they're super expensive - I got my last one at Target for under $20 iirc.
#5 of 8 Old 08-21-2008, 07:57 PM

My favorite are Bravado Bras. I like the original plus. I could not find a nursing bra in a store that I found comfortable. None of them seemed to fit right with the exception of one at Target that I can't find anymore. If you find a bra that you love and the cup size still fits but the band doesn't I have had great luck with bra extenders from the fabric store with my regular bras.

belly.gif to  jumpers.giflol.gif wonderful people with  baby.gif on the way!

#6 of 8 Old 08-21-2008, 09:42 PM

I may be a little biased but here's my opinion, take it FWIW. I started buying nursing bras my last trimester with DD and I have been in them since. I started with some ugly bras from Motherhood. I really hated that they were not sexy and attractive, and DH hated it more. Of course, they also fell apart pretty quickly. I went on my search for decent nursing bras that actually were attractive. I bought a Bravado. Now, it is my understanding that they have improved in the past few years, but I found it to be horribly uncomfortable and not supportive. I eventually found PassionSpice bras. I was in love. My DH and I latched on to the company and got involved. I quickly owned the entire nursing line and I have worn nothing else since. In fact, I loved them so much that when the people who founded the company decided they had had enough, I purchased the company. I would be glad to help you choose the proper size and style for you if you are interested in taking a look. The link to our nursing bras is in my signature.

I know how important it is to have a proper fitting bra during pregnancy and breastfeeding, so whatever bra you do decide to go with, just make sure it fits well!! I do have friends who chose soft cup bras they could just maneuver out of the way to nurse, but I always found that to be quite uncomfortable and quite difficult. Good Luck with your search, and let me know if you need some help! :-)

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#7 of 8 Old 08-22-2008, 12:41 AM

I can't speak to them myself, but these have come up over and over again:

http://www.decentexposures.com/

I've had people recommend them alot. Anyway, worth checking out, maybe? I've heard it said that their regular bras are easy to nurse in, too.
#8 of 8 Old 08-27-2008, 12:59 PM

I've always just used normal bras in larger sizes, or my own bras with a strap extender. Dritz makes them in black, white, and peach, 2-hook and 3-hook, and you can find them in the sewing notions section for about $2.00.

I highly recommend the strap extenders. Your chest measurement will change frequently and they allow you to adjust with very little expense.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...&source=search

These waistband extenders come in handy too:

http://www.clotilde.com/list.html?cr...tender&x=0&y=0

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page