My family HATES the name we chose - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 56 Old 08-21-2008, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love the name and would name my first daughter Annabel if DH liked it.

Anyway . . . I'm a fan of not telling people ANY of the names we're considering, and not announcing the name until the baby is good and born. Call me cynical, but I just don't see what good can come of telling people in advance. Either they might steal your name, or insult your name, and at the very least they won't be as surprised when the baby is born. Think of not telling them as doing them a favor by creating a nice surprise later on. And I agree that people are much less likely to attack a name once there is a sweet little baby attacked to it.

Mama to my sweet boy born 1/12/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 56 Old 08-22-2008, 01:33 PM

My family hated my son's name too.

Then they met him.

They love the name now!

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
#33 of 56 Old 08-22-2008, 01:50 PM

i don't see what is even tease-able about annabelle. it is absolutely beautiful, classic, strong, and with many manifestations for those unhappy with it.

i told our in-laws we were naming our new baby THOR, god of thunder, so we figure what ever we actually name the baby will be better in their opinion than that. (very traditional) the problem was we got really attached to THOR and began to loooooooove it for a boy. It was very masculine, strong and short, which goes well with our last name. I couldn't imagine calling him anything else, then he turned into a she, and that's made it a whole easier.

YAY to annabelle delilah!!!

:

married to my best friend sam sahm to beatrice (04/07) and mourning lucia, born still 12/22/08
#34 of 56 Old 08-22-2008, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacita angelica View Post

i told our in-laws we were naming our new baby THOR, god of thunder, so we figure what ever we actually name the baby will be better in their opinion than that. (very traditional) the problem was we got really attached to THOR and began to loooooooove it for a boy. It was very masculine, strong and short, which goes well with our last name. I couldn't imagine calling him anything else, then he turned into a she, and that's made it a whole easier.
I have a friend who is expecting a boy in October. She is naming him Thurston Reinhardt. (a name she and her DP loved and the middle name is her father's first name.) They are callling him Thor. They also call him Thunderbutt. I am knitting him a beany with wings on it.
#35 of 56 Old 08-22-2008, 02:04 PM

Thunderbutt!! : I love it!

married to my best friend sam sahm to beatrice (04/07) and mourning lucia, born still 12/22/08
#36 of 56 Old 08-22-2008, 11:54 PM

Personally, I LOVE the name you have picked...obviously!

When I was pregnant with my Annabelle, we got the "cow" comments as well. I still have no idea where that comes from. My MIL was determined to call her Anna, but we held our ground that we named her Annabelle and that if we wanted her to be called Anna we would have named her Anna. She got over it pretty quickly.

I have been on the other side of the issue as well...when my sister named her DD Tristin Chase I hated the name...way too masculine, I thought. Now I love my niece's name and can't imagine her being called anything else.
#37 of 56 Old 08-23-2008, 12:03 AM

I think it's a lovely name. I picture a little girl with dimples and curls.
#38 of 56 Old 08-23-2008, 12:55 AM

My name = cow name, doesn't it? I don't recall EVER being teased about my name being a cow's name.
#39 of 56 Old 08-23-2008, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2annabelle View Post
I have been on the other side of the issue as well...when my sister named her DD Tristin Chase I hated the name...way too masculine, I thought. Now I love my niece's name and can't imagine her being called anything else.
Aw man- I don't know if I could get over that one. I'm too literarily inclined- not only is that SUCH a boy's name, it's a terrible, horrible name to give any child. It'd be like naming your kid "Deirdre" or something. I mean, talk about putting the gris-gris on the poor kid!

But devoid of context I'm sure it's a lovely name.
#40 of 56 Old 08-23-2008, 02:14 AM

I only opened this thread because the evil side of me wanted to see what the hideous name was your family hated, I'm in the mood for a good laugh tonight. I was very disappointed. Anabelle Delilah is a beautiful name, nothing to laugh at. Your family is being mean.
#41 of 56 Old 08-23-2008, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I always find it so amusing how others feel the need to express their disapproval of baby names, it's crazy!!

The names you picked are beautiful.

I don't even tell our families anymore, not until babe is born.

Good luck!!

Andi - roller derby, slave to the hoop, birth junkie, lover of love, single mama of 4
#42 of 56 Old 08-26-2008, 06:42 PM

I agree not to tell anyone until it's too late for them to offer commentary!!

But I do think we should consider valid points, if they're valid. Sometimes we can't see things that might be obvious to others (not saying this about the name you've chosen - I think Annabelle is really sweet!).

But as an example -- I know babies named Liam William Lastname (huh??) and Anna Claire. Now Anna Claire sounds lovely until you hear someone say, "I just love Anna Claire!" and you think, "Why yes, I'd love an eclair, too! :

But to get those issues out of the way, I encourage people to post anonymously online and NOT to one's family!!!!

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#43 of 56 Old 08-26-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbean View Post
But as an example -- I know babies named Liam William (huh??) and Anna Claire.
In school, I knew a dude whose full legal name was Willy Williams.

He was in my Spanish class, and we called him Guillermo Guillermos.
#44 of 56 Old 08-26-2008, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Annabelle is a beautiful name! It was on my top list for girls names (but dh didn't love it).

This time around we aren't telling our IL's the name we've chosen until she's born (unless ds slips up). When we told them about Orion's name my MIL flipped. Screaming, yelling, rocking back and forth holding herself crying about how much she already loved the baby (I was 16 weeks along), tells us he could never be president with that name, making racial slurs (that only certain nationalities name kids "weird names"), had her other son look up the most horrid stories of the demigod Orion (and we named him for the constellation not the demigod so whatever... I love the night sky and stars), it was crazy. Eventually FIL told her to SHUT UP which was wonderful, but wowie people sure get crazy about names don't they??

Sorry for storming in on your DCC! I like the trust fund idea! We just had to broken record it with MIL after that "its the name we've choosen", "we know your opinion thank you" and change subject, ect.

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#45 of 56 Old 08-26-2008, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

HA! LMAO! My sister is now enamoured with the name we had chosen. She speaks of it as if she chose it herself. She said she was upset that I am using the name Delilah because she wanted to use the name if she ever had a girl. Well, she is 17 and hopefully not having children any time soon so I think its only fair that whomever has the opportunity to use the name first automatically gets first dibs. Besides, its not like I read her mind and stole the name. And by that same arguement, we could haev done the same thing when DH's big brother had his first baby and she was a girl. They named her Allison which was one of the two names we discussed when we whimsically had the baby name discussion beginning two years ago. Allison is a beautiful little girl and her name fits her perfectly and I am actually glad they took the name because I love the name Annabelle even more.

My dad will come around. His name is Bruce for pete's sake. He has no right to bash on names.
#46 of 56 Old 08-26-2008, 07:58 PM

*another not in your DDC*

But....I love the name! And anyway, they weren't there for the conception, so really, they don't get a vote. They will adjust.

Certainly, those initials aren't terrible. I work with a woman whose initials are PMS, and they suit her perfectly.

Mama to a DD, born 03/30/07, and DS, born 2/3/10, and someone new, due 10/2/121sttri.gif

#47 of 56 Old 08-26-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acory23 View Post
My dad will come around. His name is Bruce for pete's sake. He has no right to bash on names.
Hey, that's the Batman's name!

And he is the Goddamn Batman, so it must be a good name.
#48 of 56 Old 08-27-2008, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Lurker View Post
*another not in your DDC*

But....I love the name! And anyway, they weren't there for the conception, so really, they don't get a vote. They will adjust.

Certainly, those initials aren't terrible. I work with a woman whose initials are PMS, and they suit her perfectly.
HEHE, I just got this amusing mental image...

And Im sure ADD will suit Annabelle... her father has ADD. I have OCD which sometimes makes me seem like I have ADD... so she will fit right in. And my innitials are AAD
#49 of 56 Old 08-27-2008, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalirush View Post
Hey, that's the Batman's name!

And he is the Goddamn Batman, so it must be a good name.
But I would NEVER give a baby that name. I think of a child named bruce and I see a skinny, gangly, nerdy kid with glasses, big ears, and a goofy grin (which pretty much describes my Pop.) or a chocolatey faced, sticky handed chubby kid (like in Matilda)
#50 of 56 Old 08-27-2008, 11:34 AM

A lovely name! I wouldn't give it another thought.

As far as the cow teasing goes...it may be a generational thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2annabelle View Post
...When I was pregnant with my Annabelle, we got the "cow" comments as well. I still have no idea where that comes from. ....
There was a cow on the Howdy Doody show named Clarabelle. My mother's name was Clara (named for her aunt) & she was teased with the cow comment. She changed her name to Claire because she hated it so much.
#51 of 56 Old 08-27-2008, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu's mama View Post
There is a movie called Annabel's Wish which is about a cow who wants to be come a reindeer. There is Clarabelle from Mickey Mouse. I dont know why Annabelle is being compaired to the name of a cow... whatever. I love it!
#52 of 56 Old 08-27-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarMama View Post
This time around we aren't telling our IL's the name we've chosen until she's born (unless ds slips up). When we told them about Orion's name my MIL flipped. Screaming, yelling, rocking back and forth holding herself crying about how much she already loved the baby (I was 16 weeks along), tells us he could never be president with that name, making racial slurs (that only certain nationalities name kids "weird names")
Now THERE'S a mental image! What is it with MILs??

FWIW, my son has a family name so we chose a nickname to differentiate him from the others with the same name. His nickname is an actual, classic shortening of his real name, not something like "buddy" or "skip".

WE really, really love it. My parents do not. They've told everyone they know (we live on the other side of the country) that his nickname is something different. We found this out because gifts would arrive addressed to the wrong name. Now the name they chose isn't radically different, but it's a name THEY like and one we specifically avoided because we don't. I find this incredibly irritating and controlling, and do correct them whenever they slip up and call our son by the wrong name in front of us.

My DH told me not to worry, that eventually when our son was old enough he'd correct them himself, and sure enough, the last time they slipped, he emphatically announced, "My name isn't '___' it's '_____'!!"

So to my parents, I send this very juvenile

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#53 of 56 Old 08-27-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu's mama View Post
A lovely name! I wouldn't give it another thought.

There was a cow on the Howdy Doody show named Clarabelle. My mother's name was Clara (named for her aunt) & she was teased with the cow comment. She changed her name to Claire because she hated it so much.
My daughter REALLY wants us to name the baby Clarabelle. My mother had to explain the Howdy Doody thing to her.That's when she remembered the Disney cow by the same name.

Annabelle, however, is the name of one of the loveliest girls I knew back in school. She had beautiful curly platinum blonde hair, and gorgeous blue eyes. She was also a talented singer and dancer. That's who I think of when I hear your chosen name.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#54 of 56 Old 08-27-2008, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I think it's a beautiful name. And as for the teasing part - more people will tease her if she's named Anna, Anne or Ann (i've been there)

happytears.gifMe - married to DHROTFLMAO.gifMomma to furbabies dog2.gifStanley and dog2.gifOscar. TTCing #1 after angel.gif 10/13angel.gif 4/14 waiting for my rainbow1284.gif
#55 of 56 Old 08-27-2008, 10:50 PM

Add ours to the list of hated names. My mother didn't care for Adela, but my dad liked it. I am REALLY sure this baby isn't Adela, she is an Amalia, and I am sticking to it. Not only did I dream it, 2 of my friends did before they even knew I was considering it for out little girl. I announced the name at my brother's send off party tonight, and it is universally hated. Oh well.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#56 of 56 Old 08-27-2008, 11:23 PM

Not in your DDC but wanted to respond. We don't even tell family members names anymore because of the situation you describe. Anyway, it sounds like time for Setting Boundaries here!! You can value their opinions on other things, but your kid's name is YOUR BUSINESS and not theirs. WHat they think of it is beyond irrelevant. You can simply tell them politely that you are not wishing to discuss your choices of names anymore. Period. If they have a problem, it is their problem and not yours. If the problem persists, I would think that looking more deeply at the relationships with those people would be smart. They sound, well, a bit enmeshed. Tell them to get a life, also, while you're at it. And read a book on boundaries if you think that might help here. It really is about boundaries.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page