Feeding the Freezer - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 63 Old 08-25-2008, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw this thread on the December DDC and given that I'm an obsessive planner and love to think about these things way in advance, I thought we should start our own. I hope my eager beaver approach doesn't stress anyone out!

Are you going to cook and freeze meals ahead of time? If so, what are you going to make? I'd love to share recipes!

: Here's a few that I'm planning on making:
Artichoke, Spinach, and Feta Stuffed Shells
White Bean and Turkey Chili
Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
Chili & cornbread
Spaghetti sauce & garlic bread
Taco meat (will freeze with beans, shredded cheese, & tortillas)
Sweet & Spicy Veggie Chili
Chicken pot pies (looking for a good freezable recipe if anyone wants to share)
Teriyaki burgers (will freeze uncooked premade patties, buns, & sliced cheese)
Lasagna & garlic bread
#2 of 63 Old 08-25-2008, 03:58 PM

London Broils- so yummy feel free to pm for the recipe

Unbaked lasagne

philly steak sandwiches

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#3 of 63 Old 08-25-2008, 04:56 PM

papschmitty -

Okay - I am quite the nerd when it comes to this. I create a spreadsheet for postpartum meals. It was really, really helpful to my DH when DS#2 was born.

The columns are:
1. Meal description
2. Servings
3. Cooking Details (like thaw, bake on 350* etc)
4. Anything that it needs with it (serve with brown rice etc)
5. Date Frozen
6. Check off for when removed from freezer and cooked (so one could tell what was left in the freezer).

There was also a column that was optional if the meal was prepared by somebody (like at a blessingway) - that way we could say - "Oh Susan made this pot pie! Yum).

Here is what we have traditionally done...and will continue to do.

1. Lots of Ground Meat already seasoned and ready to go to pasta dish, or chili dish.
2. Brunswick Stew
3. Beef Stew
4. Chili's of all sorts
5. Chicken Florentine
6. Lasagna
7. Enchilada's
8. Meat loaf (if I can figure out a way to freeze)
9. Potato Soup
10. Mac and Cheese

A couple of my friends made Chicken pot Pie for us and ohhh...YUMMY.

Will you just cook this meal and then double/triple for the freezer - or do you have cooking weekends where you make a bunch of food and put in the freezer. Some days it is hard enough to even make dinner. LOL.

Thanks Papschmitty for this thread!

Traci
#4 of 63 Old 08-25-2008, 05:01 PM

Oh I love obsessive planning! With my second DS I made a lot of smashed pea soup with barley (the recipe from California Pizza Kitchen) and froze it. It's so good (and healthy) heated up on a cold January day!

#5 of 63 Old 08-25-2008, 05:03 PM

Soups, Chili, quiche, bread, freezing individual servings of leftovers. We stocked up on blueberries and strawberry jam when those were in season. Also stocking up in general, so we will have backups of everything when the time comes!

I am going to make some Middle Eastern Rice with Black Beans & Chickpeas tomorrow and try freezing some to see how it reheats. Here is the recipe:

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup uncooked basmati rice (brown is tasty here!)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 quart chicken stock (or veggie broth for vegetarian version)
1 1/2 pounds ground turkey (skip for vegetarian version)
2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 bunch chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
1 bunch chopped fresh parsley (optional)
1/4 cup pine nuts (optional)
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in garlic, and cook 1 minute. Stir in rice, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes, then pour in chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.

Place the turkey in a skillet over medium heat, and cook until evenly brown.

Gently mix cooked turkey, garbanzo beans, black beans, cilantro, parsley, and pine nuts into the cooked rice. Season with salt and pepper.

I love it plain, but you can also fill a pita with this and plain yogurt......mmmmmmm........

I would also like to start getting ahead on loaves of bread, rolls, buns, etc once the weather cools. Maybe get some muffins made up.

This is all assuming I am not on bedrest come Novemberish, but I am still optimistic on that one!

Have a good afternoon!

Christy
#6 of 63 Old 08-25-2008, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I create a spreadsheet for postpartum meals.
Traci, will you marry me? If I PM you my email address, would you be willing to share your spreadsheet?

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only dork who loves obsessively planning in our DDC! Man, I'm hungry now!
#7 of 63 Old 08-25-2008, 09:51 PM

:
#8 of 63 Old 08-25-2008, 10:05 PM

Wow, I love you guys, too! I'm a total planner but I'm new to freezer meals. I was calculating in my head how many friends I think will bring dinners (we do food trees for new babies), how much I can freeze, how many times we'll order out, etc. I figure I'll want about two months worth of flexibility, if I remember right from dd's birth and early nursing days.

I'd love more links on recipes...that London Broil sounds great. Any tips for freezing stews or chili? Do potatoes freeze well? What about sweet potatoes? beans?

Amanda, momma to Caroline (5/31/05) and Mary Elizabeth (1/8/09)
#9 of 63 Old 08-25-2008, 10:05 PM

These freeze well and are SO yummy and filling. A veggie dish that works well for people used to eating meat IMO. Avocado Enchiladas:

http://www.deenakastor.com/recipe_print.php?num=6

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
#10 of 63 Old 08-25-2008, 10:14 PM

I'm amazed at how organized everyone is! I can't even contemplate tomorrow's dinner, let along post-baby dinners! I'm very lucky - I have a strong mom's group who will provide me with probably 3 weeks worth of food, plus my mom lives in town in the winter, and we eat with them every night anyway, so I'm sure she'll just cook. (Yes, I am extremely spoiled. Every night!)
#11 of 63 Old 08-25-2008, 10:35 PM

Alright, I finally got around to writing down my very favorite recipe... I've never written out a recipe from in my head before, so feel free to ask for clarification if this doesn't cover everything:

Too-Good-For-Meat Vegetarian Lasagna Rolls!

Pretty much everything in this recipe is approximate and can be experimented with to find a taste and system that works best for you. (You could even add meat if you really wanted to... I just think it's waaaay too good this way!) I haven't had a written copy of this for years, so I have no clue where it originally came from or to whom credit is due.

32 oz. ricotta cheese
1 ball mozarella cheese
1 package fresh grated parmesan cheese
1 package frozen chopped spinach
1 jar marinara sauce
1 package lasagna noodles
Italian spices to taste (fresh or dried is up to you): garlic, basil, oregano, parsley

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Boil lasagna noodles according to directions on the package. I usually use the bigger package (~16 noodles) and use two per roll, but you can use 8 noodles if you prefer. Lay cooked noodles flat on a countertop or other surface they wont' stick to.

Shred entire ball of mozarella. Defrost and drain spinach, then make a ball of it and squeeze out additional moisture. Combine ricotta, mozarella, parmesan, spinach, and spices (to taste) in a large bowl. I generally mix by squeezing the ingredients through my fingers until it looks well-combined. You can also add a splash of marinara to the mix if you'd like.

Take the filling mix and spread it equally on 8 of the lasagna noodles. (If you're using 16 noodles, take the "empty" noodles and place them on top of the ones with mix, sandwiching the mix in the middle.) Roll up the noodles and place them noodle-side-down in a non-stick (or sprayed with non-stick spray) casserole pan (don't put them on end, or the filling may run out as it heats). I like to use a glass pan. Pour the remaining marinara sauce evenly over all the rolls.

Cover with aluminum foil and cook for about 35 minutes at 350. Remove the foil and cook for another 10 minutes.

These are great hot OR cold from the fridge, in my opinion. The best way to re-heat refrigerated or frozen rolls is by steaming for about 10-15 minutes. They can be microwaved, too.

These are great to make and freeze individually, so they're already divvied up into one-serving sizes. I've found the two-noodle rolls to be filling for adults. If you're cooking for kids, the one-noodle roll may be a friendlier portion. Sometimes I'll make a batch with both - it's easy to mix-and-match.

Enjoy!
#12 of 63 Old 08-25-2008, 10:58 PM

I SOOO need an extra freezer because I've been thinking about the same thing!!

Someone suggested 'dream dinners' to me but I don't know if it's worth the money...
#13 of 63 Old 08-26-2008, 09:31 AM

papchmitty - I'd be glad to!

Dizzy - We do have a deep freezer but we bought 1/4 of a cow last month so it is VERY full right now.

Or fridge freezer is better. I remember some friends bringing meals in ziplocs (like rice and sausage dishes) - and they fit really really well!

Ohhh I would love the smashed pea soup with barley recipe! Sounds soothing...
Traci
#14 of 63 Old 08-26-2008, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Traci, I just PM'd you.

These recipes sound so yummy. Keep 'em coming! DH is the world's pickiest eater so I really struggle with finding healthy recipes that we'll all eat.
#15 of 63 Old 08-26-2008, 10:40 AM

Ok- London Broils

2-3 # hamburger
1 package bacon
worchestershire sauce
salt and pepper
finely diced tomato/red pepper/green pepper (whatever?)
finely diced onion
finely diced mushrooms
shredded cheese (I like chedder)

Take a big jelly roll pan and line it with foil (I use the nonstick kind)- pat down your hamburger really well. Salt pepper and worchestershire sauce your hamburger. Sprinkle with your chioce of veggies and cheese. Pop in the freezer for just a few minutes. Roll up jelly roll style- peeling back the foil as you go. Then pop back in the freezer for a few more minutes. Slice in approximately 1" slices and wrap with bacon secureing with toothpicks. I freeze them in pyrex 9x13s- I think this will fill up 2 pans. And then I pull out however many I need for that meal. You can fry them on the stove, broil or grill- they are awesome....

Ya know what else freezes really good- the bean and kale soup from Peggy's kitchen- totally vegetarian and so unbelievably good for nursing moms- well for anyone! I freeze it is quart bags and my family goes nuts over it.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#16 of 63 Old 08-26-2008, 11:16 AM

Im sooo jealous...We got a small deepfreeze included in the house, and dh gave it away cause we never used it...i BEGGED him to let me keep it until after this baby came but it was one of those things that drove him nuts...im DYING for a deep freeze

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#17 of 63 Old 08-26-2008, 11:32 AM

great thread!! I have already started preparing post-baby meals...So far I have a spaghetti pie and a lasagna in the freezer. I am planning on making some chicken divan this week. I also found a loaf of Italian bread on the "oops we over baked rack" at Giant for $1 and I bought it and wrapped it and froze it to go with one of the meals. I am thinking I'll make some chili and corn bread too. We probably won't eat all that balanced for the first few weeks, but at leas we'll have home cooked food!!

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#18 of 63 Old 08-26-2008, 02:19 PM

I'm totally jealous! Our freezer holds popsicles and a couple of frozen meals for work and that's about it. I'm not sure what my plan is going to be for post baby.
#19 of 63 Old 08-26-2008, 09:30 PM

Here's one I plan to freeze a few casseroles of. It is very yummy!

Poppy Seed Chicken

3-4 cooked chicken breast, diced up
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
8 oz sour cream
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
2 cups cooked white rice
1 cup water
1 roll of Ritz Crackers
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Line 9x13 casserole dish with rice. Combine chicken, soup, sour cream, cheese, water, and poppy seeds in a bowl. Pour soup mixture over rice.

Crush crackers.

For freezing, I'd just crush the crackers and put them in a ziplock baggie on top of the casserole. Then I'd thaw the casserole in the fridge, put the crackers on top, and heat in the oven at 325 until hot (about 30 minutes.)

Amanda, momma to Caroline (5/31/05) and Mary Elizabeth (1/8/09)
#20 of 63 Old 08-26-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyMissLizzy View Post
I SOOO need an extra freezer because I've been thinking about the same thing!!

Someone suggested 'dream dinners' to me but I don't know if it's worth the money...
Oh yes, it is! Until they started doing vegetarian substitutes i only used them to make babymoon meals for my meat eating friends. I spent ~$50 and got enough food for a week for a couple that had a 3 year old who ate smaller portions. No kidding. The 3 entrees lasted an entire week at their house. They loved it. I may go over there myself in December to stock up my own freezer.
I will also be freezing broccoli potato and cheese soup, and pea soup because they are my favorites in winter. I will be inheriting all of my parents tomato crop as well, so any suggestions on canning your own sauce would be appreciated. My DH's method is too messy and inconsistent for me to trust it for this. lol!

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#21 of 63 Old 08-27-2008, 11:58 AM

Thanks for starting this great thread! Here is an easy soup recipe.

Creamy Chicken, Tarragon and Leek Soup

Ingredients
4 TB butter
6 oz mushrooms sliced
4 stalks of celery chopped
3 medium leeks thickly sliced
1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
1 14.5 oz can chicken broth
4 boneless chicken breasts cooked and chopped into bite-size pieces
2 tsp dried tarragon (or 4 tsp fresh)
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese at room temp.
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Heat butter in soup pot, add mushrooms, celery and leeks. Saute for about 3 minutes (until onion is translucent). Add wine, cream and broth. Bring to a slow boil, cook for 7 minutes. Reduce heat, add chicken and tarragon. Simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese until blended, season with salt and pepper to taste.

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#22 of 63 Old 08-29-2008, 08:20 PM

I love this thread!

I have a few meals that I tend to make two batches at once (lasagna, enchiladas, amazing chicken burritos) but I also plan to have a bake-a-thon weekend somewhere around week 36. (This was my plan last time and DS was born at 35 weeks 5 days so we actually had to go to the grocery store when he was 2 days old and I came home and cooked dinner. NOT doing that again!)

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#23 of 63 Old 08-30-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthmg View Post
I'm amazed at how organized everyone is! I can't even contemplate tomorrow's dinner, let along post-baby dinners! I'm very lucky - I have a strong mom's group who will provide me with probably 3 weeks worth of food, plus my mom lives in town in the winter, and we eat with them every night anyway, so I'm sure she'll just cook. (Yes, I am extremely spoiled. Every night!)
We have a great moms group who brings meals to all the new moms too, problem is my best friend is also in that group and she is due 2 days before me! And I live far away from the core of the group. She was supposed to coordinate meals for me as a thank you for when I did it for her when her dad died...but she went and accidentally got pregnant while we were trying! So....I have to get a few meals in the freezer while I can! My MIL lives in town, but her idea of cooking is picking up subs.....she says her ideal home is one without a kitchen...so yeah....no cooking there! I'm jealous of your local mom!!

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#24 of 63 Old 09-01-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
London Broils Recipe
Thanks! I made some of these today. Made them only big enough around for the goodies to be in the center and more in line size wise of what we will eat. I saved a couple for dinner tonight and froze the remaining 18.

I made up 2 of my meatloaf topped with the left over bacon pieces and froze those as well.
#25 of 63 Old 09-02-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Adam View Post

8. Meat loaf (if I can figure out a way to freeze)
Meat loaf Minis freeze really well!

The catch with these is to bake your meatloaf at 375 for about 20 minutes in muffin tins, with about 1/3 cup meat mixture per tin. Then top with topping and cook 10 min more. Cool, remove from muffin tins, freeze on trays so they aren't touching each other, then put them into freezer bags once they are really solid for up to 3 months.

To reheat, it take about 1 min in the microwave each. Or thaw in the refrigerator completely, then bake at 350 in a greased, covered baking dish for 30 minutes or until heated through.

The extra bonus on these is they can be reheated for any number of people. I ususally use the recipe I found with these instructions, which I can post if anyone needs one! Otherwise just make sure it is a moist meatloaf to withstand the cooking/freezing/reheating process and any recipe should work fine!

And great thread - thanks!

Christy
#26 of 63 Old 09-02-2008, 09:07 PM

Does anybody have a good vegetarian "meat" loaf they like to freeze?

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#27 of 63 Old 09-03-2008, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Can't help you there. Meatloaf makes me want to :Puke. I remember being a kid and walking into the house smelling meatloaf. I groaned and asked my mom why we had to be having meatloaf and she replied "It's not meatloaf, it's hamburger casserole". Yeah right, the gag reflex doesn't lie!

On a much more delicious note, I went to a U-pick blueberry farm last weekend where they were selling their crop for $1 per pound! They were so yummy. It was just me and my 2 year old DD so I wasn't able to pick as much as I would have liked but I still walked out with 3 pounds. I want to make some smoothie kits for post partum. We did this when my mom was sick and couldn't eat solid foods. We cut up various fruits (blueberries, bananas, strawberries, pineapple) and frozen them in packets. Then all you had to add was some yogurt and orange juice and viola - delicious smoothies!
#28 of 63 Old 09-04-2008, 02:50 AM

I have been trying so hard to pack the freezer with leftovers of anything I make. Something in me only knows how to cook portions that are army sized so there should be plenty to freeze but DH keeps taking them out of the freezer and to work for lunch. I'm always shocked at the quantity of food he can consume.

belly.gif to  jumpers.giflol.gif wonderful people with  baby.gif on the way!

#29 of 63 Old 09-08-2008, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

A family friend took DD and my nieces for the day yesterday so my sister was nice enough to come over and help me cook some freezer meals. We made

2 batches raspberry glazed chicken breasts
tomato basil soup
2 loaves homemade garlic bread
french toast
chicken quesadillas
2 batches of chicken pot pies
2 batches of white bean turkey chili

I also bought the ingredients to make homemade pizzas but ran out of time. I haven't made pizza crust from scratch before, let alone an entire frozen pizza, so it should be interesting! If anyone has any pointers for this, feel free to share. My DH thinks I'm insane for already starting to make post partum meals. He'll be thanking me later!
#30 of 63 Old 09-08-2008, 01:31 PM

:

you all are amazing! my DH thinks I am completely insane, overplanning and panicking by thinking about needing to freeze meals for after the baby comes, but it's our first child and I think maybe I'm just more in tune with the potential lack of time and energy to cook haha. And we have a TINY freezer but I am still going to start quietly stocking it in a month or so.

Bloomingstar Mommy to DS born 1.16.09 :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page