Have you picked out a name yet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 70 Old 08-25-2008, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It was easy for us to come up with a short list of boy names and zero in on one but not so easy for the girls names. The boy name picked out was Rowan Alexander. I know "they" say it can be a girl's name too but in my head and DH's it's a boys name.

But now that it's a girl We are having a really hard time choosing something. There just aren't many girl names we like. So far it's Lily Marie but we aren't sold on it. Other then that we can't hink of any other name!!

What about you? Are you having a hard time or was it easy for you to decide?

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#2 of 70 Old 08-25-2008, 07:07 PM

This time around seems harder for us. With my dd we loved the name and stuck with it from the very beginning. Middle name came down to the day we had to fill out the form for the birth certificate, but at least we had the first. We have a list for both, but nothing really sticks, especially for boys. I like them, but don't LOVE any. I'm afraid I won't like it later on? We're finding out in a week what the sex is so we figure we should just wait so at least we're just focused on whatever sex it is.

homeschooling mama to ella (9) and maya (5)
#3 of 70 Old 08-25-2008, 07:11 PM

We have one picked out for either a boy or a girl (we hopefully will find out Sept 12th) but for a while there at the beginning there was a chance it was going to be twins and we were having a REALLY hard time trying to come up with a second name for both. Thankfully its not twins, so we don't have to try and think up a second set of names!

Kathy Soup
Loving wife to an amazing SAHD : Mommy to Aviendha 01/19/09
#4 of 70 Old 08-25-2008, 07:38 PM

DH has his favorite girl name, but I'm not sold. I'm still trying to get him to go for my favorite.

Thoughts on Oliver?

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#5 of 70 Old 08-25-2008, 08:10 PM

Oliver is a very cool name. Would there be a nickname?

We basically had two names with our first. We picked one and decided that the other would be for baby girl number two. But now that we know it's a girl, we are wondering if we should be going through a more elaborate decision process. So, what do y'all think? First one is Beatrice Grace. The tentative name for number two is Lucia, called Lucy. I'm just not sure it sounds great with our last name Yingst. Lucy sound good with it, but not Lucia. and middle names are up in the air. Any suggestions are welcome.

married to my best friend sam sahm to beatrice (04/07) and mourning lucia, born still 12/22/08
#6 of 70 Old 08-25-2008, 08:39 PM

Love the name Oliver!

DD's name came so easy, it was and still is a surprise to us that we're still in negotiations this time around.

We're set for a boy name but still working on a girl name. Our # 1 pick is way too popular for us. We came up with another we love, we're just kind of waiting to see if it sticks.
#7 of 70 Old 08-25-2008, 09:36 PM

Definitely Kalie Elizabeth. Everyone is calling her by name already too. :

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#8 of 70 Old 08-25-2008, 09:49 PM

I think we've negotiated Elias with Eli as a nickname. Still don't have a middle name.

My girl's name was so easy! If anyone wants to steal it, go for it. Evelyn Lily. *sigh*
#9 of 70 Old 08-25-2008, 10:52 PM

My oldest helped pick out the name this time. She wanted Emily. We settled for Emmaline Grace. To be called Emma Grace. :

This is of course is if its a girl. I'm pretty sure. BUT if it is a boy we have had Levi Eziekel picked out forever.
#10 of 70 Old 08-25-2008, 10:55 PM

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hasn't even come close to figuring out what to name the babe.

With our first it was very hard but because I wasn't a parent yet, I don't think it was as important to find a name *before* delivery.

With the second, her name came early and stuck!!

Pretty much the same for the third...

AND NOW :'(
We had a boy name chosen (which is kinda funny since we always believed that this baby was a girl)
but we just can't come up with a girl name. There are of course names we both like or names he likes and I don't or vise versa BUT nothing I'm *IN LOVE* with yet. I'm feeling kinda sad about it...especially when everyone keeps asking if we've named her yet.

*sigh*
#11 of 70 Old 08-26-2008, 12:11 AM

For a girl, we have...
Matilda Lindan
Adelaide Lindan
or
Adelaisa Lindan

For boys, we have...
Linus
Edison (man I love this name, but I can't stand the thought of "ed or eddie" which is what it will become. Gah!)

We have a Truman and an Eleanor and Edison would go perfectly.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#12 of 70 Old 08-26-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutie Patootie View Post
Edison (man I love this name, but I can't stand the thought of "ed or eddie" which is what it will become. Gah!)
It doesn't have to be
Just don't start calling him that yourself and when the child gets older they'll more than likely tell people that 'nickname' isn't his name! That's how it went with my oldest and I am very happy about that!
#13 of 70 Old 08-26-2008, 01:46 AM

We have had a boy's name picked out for years (actually, we have the next THREE boy's names ready to go) but we used our girl name and have to think of a new one.

We seem to be thinking Marjorie as the middle name (it has family significance) and we're debating the first name. The only real contender so far is "Idun" (pronounced Ee-doon or Ee-dhoon). My husband has also suggested Bronwen and Vasilisa, but I didn't go for them.
#14 of 70 Old 08-26-2008, 01:48 AM

right now we're thinking of Edith Grace for a girl and Gerrit Johan for a boy.

Mummy to dd (Jan 13, '07) born by emergency c-section at 35 weeks due to severe pre-e  :ribboncesarean.gif and ds (Jan 30 '09) :hbac.gif and stork-suprise.gif    (06/11)
#15 of 70 Old 08-26-2008, 02:04 AM

We had a short list of girl and boy names...but found out last week we're having girl #3! If this one was a boy, my top contender was Griffin.

We're considering the name we DIDN'T pick for dd1 (Charlotte) or perhaps the name we DIDN'T pick for dd2 (Allison), but it seems like those names belong to those two kids...even though we didn't use them for them, kwim?

I also like Meredith and Lindsay, but my hubby is kind of...eh.
#16 of 70 Old 08-26-2008, 02:01 PM

We easily came up with a short list of girl names, but haven't chosen one yet.

Boy names are HARD for us. We can't even agree on one.
#17 of 70 Old 08-26-2008, 02:33 PM

Yep, we've had names picked out for awhile now. I LOVE our girl name, but I'm not so in love with our boy name (but I do like it!). DH loves the boy name though. The boy middle name is sort-of-chosen but could change.

SAHM to DS Jan09, DD Mar11. lactivist.gifintactivist.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpguc.jpgwinner.jpggd.gifcaffix.gif

#18 of 70 Old 08-26-2008, 03:31 PM

I just asked DH about names AGAIN yesterday & he kept watching tv. I said "you just gonna wait until December & think about then?" he nodded yes while still watching tv
OK THEN. Naming the baby is up to me!!! I'll let him know what I decided I guess
#19 of 70 Old 08-26-2008, 05:22 PM

We have had a boy name picked out since before we were even married: Ellery Duncan. When I was pg the first time, we had the hardest time finding girl names that we both liked. Out of nowhere, we agreed on Stella Christine and were both instantly in love. I get compliments on DD's name all the time and it suits her personality perfectly. We're still going with Ellery for a boy but are having a really hard time with girl names again. I love, love, love Simone but DH doesn't like it that much. We both like Nora and Margaret but neither one of us really LOVE either of them. I think right now Eloise is at the top of the list but he's not in love with that one either. We do know that the middle name will be Frances (my sister's middle name). DH is so hard. We both like names that aren't that common but that's about as much as we can agree on. If anyone has any suggestions for classic, uncommon girl names please lay 'em on me!!!!
#20 of 70 Old 08-26-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papschmitty View Post
We have had a boy name picked out since before we were even married: Ellery Duncan. When I was pg the first time, we had the hardest time finding girl names that we both liked. Out of nowhere, we agreed on Stella Christine and were both instantly in love. I get compliments on DD's name all the time and it suits her personality perfectly. We're still going with Ellery for a boy but are having a really hard time with girl names again. I love, love, love Simone but DH doesn't like it that much. We both like Nora and Margaret but neither one of us really LOVE either of them. I think right now Eloise is at the top of the list but he's not in love with that one either. We do know that the middle name will be Frances (my sister's middle name). DH is so hard. We both like names that aren't that common but that's about as much as we can agree on. If anyone has any suggestions for classic, uncommon girl names please lay 'em on me!!!!
Marguerite is a cool twist on Margaret and I just think it is so beautiful. I just love Maggie too.

married to my best friend sam sahm to beatrice (04/07) and mourning lucia, born still 12/22/08
#21 of 70 Old 08-26-2008, 08:04 PM

Ooooh, I like Marguerite! Of course I'm a big fan of Maggie too.
#22 of 70 Old 08-26-2008, 08:25 PM

What great names you have!

I love : Elias and Lucia! Such wonderful names. Beautiful, but not out there.

And I know quite a few "William"s and other names where they are not shortened, so if "Edison" is your choice (which fits so well with your other names!), then go for it! If we use Oliver, it would be Oliver. No nickname.

I love Meredith! DH wasn't on board with it. What is it with this name and DH's???

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#23 of 70 Old 08-26-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclisa View Post
What is it with this name and DH's???
I think nature pre-programmed DHs to drive us nuts when it comes to naming our children. I'm sure there's some sort of biological purpose for it!
#24 of 70 Old 08-26-2008, 09:49 PM

My first choice girl name was Adela Claire. DH didn't love Claire, and nobody else was sold on Adela. The more I thought about it, the more I realized it wasn't sticking. I now have a new love, but no middle name. Any suggestions to go with Amalia? This one is definitely sticking. The kids love it, and are already calling her "baby shishter 'Malia".

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#25 of 70 Old 08-26-2008, 10:13 PM

if DS (Luke) had been a girl, he would have been Lilian Fiona, so we figured that would be our girl name this time... but it's not. we have too many Lilies around us right now, so we had to rethink it. we decided on Harper Anabel (double literary reference there, especially as our last name ends in "lee"), and we love it... mostly. i'm kind of unsure sometimes, but then again, i was unsure about DS's name, too, but we had been calling him Luke for so long that it was just him. i wouldn't change it for anything.
so she's Harper. at least Luke can say it.
#26 of 70 Old 08-27-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papschmitty View Post
I think nature pre-programmed DHs to drive us nuts when it comes to naming our children. I'm sure there's some sort of biological purpose for it!
I have a friend who always says, "doesn't matter what the husband thinks. he gets to choose the last name, we should get to choose the first name."

#27 of 70 Old 08-27-2008, 09:42 AM

We had one for a boy, but now we're kicking around girl names. It's weird, there are dozens of girl names I love and DH loves, but we've both had trouble pinning any down this time. We may have to meet her and take our list of names with us and find out who she says she is, lol! If we do have a boy after all, we'll be set.

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#28 of 70 Old 08-27-2008, 07:18 PM

My list of boy names was really short cf. to the girl names. I have a few ideas so far but am waiting for the first and middle names to come together...still have a few months!

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#29 of 70 Old 08-28-2008, 09:58 AM

We are stuck when it comes to boys names. We have nothing. My husband likes Eddie and Guy. Umm, NO. I like Owen, he says no.

Girls I have a good list going, but we are going to wait until we meet the baby to officially decide on a name. We named my one son and once he was born I thought it didn't fit, but he was already Jackson to EVERYONE.

I find out tomorrow what the sex is, I have to know. I am sort of hoping we don't have to worry about boys names then!
#30 of 70 Old 08-28-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclisa View Post

And I know quite a few "William"s and other names where they are not shortened, so if "Edison" is your choice (which fits so well with your other names!), then go for it! If we use Oliver, it would be Oliver. No nickname.

We have a Jackson and a William. That is their names, that is what they go by.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page