One baby item you just.must.have.! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 09-01-2008, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Totally stealing this from the Dec. 08 DDC:

Loking for cute fluff! What is the one just totally irresistable and adorable baby item that you MUST have for this baby.

(if you want it desperately but can't have it because of funds or space or something go ahead and add it too)
#2 of 35 Old 09-01-2008, 08:28 PM

hmm no really BIG things

1) video camera(wont get one due to lack of funds!)
2) one of those teddies that does the womb sounds!! I WANT ONE!
3) a really nice sling!

I cant really think of anything else that im really dying to get
i'd like to buy a special outfit for this one since it will be wearing all of ds's hand-me-downs, but i dont know what im having..and itll get so much clothes frm people that theres really no sense

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#3 of 35 Old 09-01-2008, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

I too want a really great sling/wrap/some sort of carrier but I can't decide what type, what brand... I think I'll wait until after baby is here and just use the pouch slings I used with DD. but there's soooooo many cool fabrcs and neat carriers out there!

For some reason, warm baby booties/sock thingys are on my radar today.
#4 of 35 Old 09-01-2008, 08:45 PM

Wool diaper covers I'm once again addicted to diapers!!

I splurged a bit today and bought some absolutely beautiful yarn to knit a soaker. I need to get knittin'!

Other then that a really nice Ergo or a Mei Tai.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#5 of 35 Old 09-01-2008, 09:12 PM

I really want a co-sleeper for our room. I wanted one with DS and never got one. It worked out fine with him just sleeping in our bed, but now that we are having another one and we only have a queen sized bed I think a co-sleeper would be great. Also, I don't need any more, but I am so looking forward to using my vast assortment of baby carriers again! Especially my Moby with a newborn snuggled inside against my chest . I also cannot wait to put this little one is snuggly sweater and longies sets. Now I just need time to knit them!

Sarah , wife to Tyson :, SAHM to Landon (5), Coleson (3), and new baby boy due any day!

#6 of 35 Old 09-01-2008, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Here is our list:

1) New pouch sling!!!
2) new bed for DS (so baby can be sidecar in the crib)
3) organic mattress for the Deuce (with waterproof pad and organic sheets)

Maybe's
4) motion detector baby mat thingy
5) double stroller???

I have new diapers on the way from a co-op here but IF it's a girl (which I don't think it is) I would LOVE some cute/pretty pink and lavender flowery diapers
#7 of 35 Old 09-01-2008, 10:07 PM

I'd highly recommend a wrap cause you can get a newborn comfortably in it. Also, instead of newborn size diapers, getting small - they fit way longer. Learn from my mistake!

I'd recommend against a co-sleeper and instead look into sidecarring a crib. The decision is of course yours, but I know 4 families (including ours) who have had a co-sleeper and ended up using it for diaper storage. If you do go for one, I'd recommend setting it up ahead of time - that plastic needs time to air out.
#8 of 35 Old 09-01-2008, 11:00 PM

I'd love a king size bed--but that's not happening since we already tried and it wouldn't go up our stairway.

I'd love to splurge on new baby bedding, but I can't see getting rid of what we've got since it will work fine.

I've had fun already buying newborn fluff, fabrics to make fluff, yarn for longies/soakers/hats/socks, a few items of clothing. I want a new sling/pouch, too.

Melissa, loving wife love.gif and mama to 4 girls now! DD 12, DD 10 1/2, DD 4, DD 2 Happily homeschool.gif, doing lots of hang.gif very little sleeping.gifof and as much as I can knit.gifsewmachine.gif reading.gif
#9 of 35 Old 09-02-2008, 12:20 AM

I really want one of those beautiful expensive slings. You know, the ones that cost like $150....I'd NEVER spend the $$ for it...My $20 UV protectant hemp sling does the job...it's just not as beautiful as some.....I also want a Moby Wrap this time around. That I do plan on buying though!

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#10 of 35 Old 09-02-2008, 02:26 AM

A nursing pillow! I never had one with ds but I think it would have really helped at times so I'm definately getting one soon!
#11 of 35 Old 09-02-2008, 09:16 AM

Trumpette socks

http://trumpette.com/store/index.cfm...Product_ID=240

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

#12 of 35 Old 09-02-2008, 09:27 AM

You know, I don't need one thing for this baby outside of NB diapers, and some clothes. The clothes and dipes aren't even a worry at the rate hand me downs are coming through my door. I already have like 8 outfits, and almost a dozen NB dipes that were handed down or given back. My kids usually skip smalls and go from NB to medium between 5 and 6 months. After one DD and the twins I have all of the big ticket items I could possible want. Co-sleeper, crib, pack-n-play. Swing, playmat, bouncy chair, high chair, TONS of medium and one size diapers (the twins as still in those). Double stroller ect.. I even have a really pretty pale blue bundle me so I won't need a NB snow suit or car seat cover. I am debating on whether or not I want a single stroller. I think I will wait until baby is older and get an umbrella stroller for when I don't want to sling. I don't even need a sling for crying out loud! I have 9 already. 2 ring slings, (including a gorgeous Sakura Bloom Linen Essentials) 4 wraps, a Beco 4th generation, and 2 pouches. That's what happens when you spend 4 years selling diapers and slings at a natural baby boutique.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#13 of 35 Old 09-02-2008, 12:45 PM

I really really really want a new fancy diaper bag. I need a huge one- and I have got to have a fluerville mothership. It is like my dream diaper bag..... maybe for Christmas or my birthday DH will splurge Other than that I really want some long sleeved tshirts in organic cotton. In fabulous colors like chocolate and bright red.....

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#14 of 35 Old 09-02-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn237 View Post
Now I wish I knew if I this was going to be a girl for sure! I'd tell my SIL to buy those for the baby! Those are too cute!

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#15 of 35 Old 09-02-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
I really really really want a new fancy diaper bag. I need a huge one- and I have got to have a fluerville mothership. It is like my dream diaper bag..... maybe for Christmas or my birthday DH will splurge Other than that I really want some long sleeved tshirts in organic cotton. In fabulous colors like chocolate and bright red.....
I got the mothership for a Christmas gift. Go for it!

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#16 of 35 Old 09-02-2008, 07:56 PM

My biggest lifesavers have been:

Miracle Blanket
Amby Hammock
A comfy sling for the first few months
an Ergo carrier for the long haul

The Ergo has been priceless, truly.

For cute and frivolous, I'd say Trumpette baby socks. And a few diaper bags that I really love (they have to stand on their own and clip onto the stroller to make the cut - my SkipHop City Chic has been great for this).

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#17 of 35 Old 09-02-2008, 08:00 PM

I'd love a new diaper bag, new cloth diapers and a sling/wrap for newborns. I have both an Ergo and Sutemi, as well as a Kozy Karrier from DS, so I'm set there.
#18 of 35 Old 09-03-2008, 04:12 PM

I really want a smaller camera.

We have a nice SLR type camera, but I want a cheaper one I can just toss in the purse/diaper bag to have with me always.

Other than that, just the basic stuff we need: diapers, clothes, sling, carseat/stroller, etc.

Kathy Soup
Loving wife to an amazing SAHD : Mommy to Aviendha 01/19/09
#19 of 35 Old 09-04-2008, 02:59 PM

Double stroller
Baby monitor (my new house is huge and it will be needed)
Papasan swing

I plan to make the crib bedding, my slings/carriers, diaper bags and burp cloths.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#20 of 35 Old 09-04-2008, 03:17 PM

I really want a nice sling too. But like a PP can't decide which one! I get worried I won't be able to figure out how to tie it right. hehe And the ones I looked at and like are pricey!!

I just put a pouch sling on my registry to try that out...

I want the bear that makes womb noises too. lol I wanted that bear for kids since it first came out, and remember I bought it for my neice when she was a baby. (funny part of my history... I was with DH 8 years ago when neice was born... we split soon after that... the rest is history. lol Neice loves that she has baby pictures with me in it. )

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#21 of 35 Old 09-04-2008, 10:21 PM

Gosh, we have just about everything I could want from previous kid (nursing pillow, Trumpette socks, natural crib mattress), but I also want a diaper bag! I never had one last time, just a big plastic purse from H&M that was badass and waterproof but not the most functional diaper bag.

Off to check links.

Also, I want long sleeve organic cotton maternity shirts in chocolate and red too! Do such things exist?! TELL ME!
#22 of 35 Old 09-04-2008, 10:27 PM

Okay those Fleurville bags? Are awesome.

Do I want the Messenger, or the Hana? Decisions...
#23 of 35 Old 09-04-2008, 10:35 PM

I know... I think I need a Fleurville now too. Although I'm not a big fan of plasticy outsides. Now I have a Skip Hop Denim Dash which I love but it won't be big enough with two in CDs....

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

#24 of 35 Old 09-05-2008, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

I have two diaper bags, a Skip Hop Duo and a Fleurville Sling Tote and I use the Skip Hop everyday. I just don't use the Fleurville, ever, anymore. It's way prettier, but the strap slips off my shoulder all the time, and it just isn't as organized as the Skip Hop for me. A shame, too, DH spent a pretty penny on it (On Cleanrance at Christmas time, though, wait for the sale!).
#25 of 35 Old 09-05-2008, 07:26 PM

But the pattern of the mothership that I really really want is on clearance now...... off to cry but secretly happy everyone likes this bag too.....

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#26 of 35 Old 09-06-2008, 05:05 AM

I really want a baby hammock swing that hangs from the ceiling so I have a safe place to set baby while I cook dinner. Last time I used a portable swing set up on the table but I would rather have something with a more organic feeling flow to it, more like a sling.

belly.gif to  jumpers.giflol.gif wonderful people with  baby.gif on the way!

#27 of 35 Old 09-06-2008, 12:07 PM

I have a Ergo and a MT and I am buying a babyhawk for this baby. I will be buying a ton of clothes and maybe bedding also? I had all pink stuff with my dd.
#28 of 35 Old 09-07-2008, 06:53 PM

1--a king size mattress to fit all of us on so we can continue to co-sleep. I can't stand our full size because all 3 of us like to sprawl out, so when dp is home from the slope, I sleep on the floor! Ok, that;s not really a baby item...

2--an ergo!

3--Hot Topic baby clothes

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#29 of 35 Old 09-07-2008, 07:51 PM

I want a comfortable rocking chair for the nursery!!

We spent $20 at a yard sale for a chair for my older sons, and I want a chair I'll enjoy long after I rock our baby to sleep. We're thinking about the sleepytime chair from nurseryworks.

We also bought a Beco Butterfly Carrier in black with a pretty blue mosaic print.

H&M just opened near our house, so I'm looking forward to a few new baby clothes from there.

Mostly, I'm excited when this is all done to get rid of my maternity clothes and nursing bras and actually invest in clothes I'll wear for longer than 9 months at a time!
#30 of 35 Old 09-07-2008, 10:59 PM

I want a nice glider chair this time, the one I had with DD was a 3rd time hand me down from a neighbor, and it was ok, but not overly comfy, and creaky. Well, it finally fell apart so there is none now. I want a big cushy one

I would like a ergo type of carrier with that supported belt, I love my MT, but those look easier and the moms i know with them LOVE them. I already have 4 ring slings, (its nice having friends who make really nice one :P) but want that carrier next.

I would like a toddler bed. Will use our arms reach cosleeper again, until the new baby is able to sit up and such, and keep DD in her crib which is now dropped down to toddler level, and then when the new baby is sitting up and such, will put the crib back up to the high level and side car it like we did with DD till just recently. I "think" we may have room for a toddler bed, crib and our queen in our room. But if she's ready for her bed in her room by then, we may move her in there. It depends, i REALLY like having her just an arms reach away now that she is not sharing the same space as me. At least its still the same room

Id like a new stash of cloth. We bought a good number of Bum Genious 2.0 with DD since they sitter was comfortable with them and their style. but i'm thinking this time maybe I'll try something different!

Some gender neutral outfits for the first few weeks (we're not finding out the sex) but not stuff in orange or yellow. I don't like those colors. Pretty creams, or blues that aren't too masculine etc.

mom to Reaghan born underwater into midwife's hands 1/17/07 & Myra born surrounded by doulas and midwife at home 1/12/09. Birth Educator, and Photographer, Baby #3 Coming May 2013!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page