Anterior placenta - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-12-2008, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok so my MW pointed out that the placenta this time around is anterior. She also said it's not uncommon and that the only issue is that babies like to face the placenta so that I'm more likely to have the baby come out in the posterior position. It also explains why i've been feeling each movement so much - the baby is facing out and so it's easy to feel the movements. It's also why it's so hard to get on doppler - can't hear through the placenta well.

So, while I'm not concerned I feel like I should learn about what to do in cases of back labor and things like that. Aside from being on all fours in labor, how do you convince the baby to turn around?

For those who don't know the differences between anterior and posterior labor, here's a link to a handy article comparing the two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2008, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Oddly enough that site i linked had some techniques. Anyone have any experience with these/
Old 09-12-2008, 10:42 AM

I have an anterior placenta too. Nobody told me that it makes the baby more likely to come out sunny side up, arg! Thanks for bringing that up. I'll have to talk to my doula.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:33 AM

[quote=Artemnesia;12160447]I have an anterior placenta too. Nobody told me that it makes the baby more likely to come out sunny side upquote]

LoL, That is a funny and cute way of putting it. DD was born "sunny side up." It was not as difficult as I thought it would be. The only problem was that her little nose got smashed adn her face swelled so she looked like Jiminy Cricket. Her nose was nothing more than a little nub on her face for about 3 weeks then it finally popped out. I did not know that she would be born in a posterior position. It was odd because my placenta was not anterior.

I didnt know that AP was why I was feeling so many kicks. Although I do not feel them as I did with my other two. I feel her kicking the placenta which isnt as sharp a feeling as a kick. It feels like it would feel if you put your hand on a matress and someone kicked it. Its such an odd feeling.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:18 AM

I have an Anterior Placenta this time, too. I felt movement later with this baby because of it.

It makes sense that baby would be facing the placenta, I never thought about it.

With DD, felt a lot of kicks and punches, this time, so far, i feel more of a "rolling" sensation.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:34 PM

Hmm, interesting, I never heard that, but indeed, my daughter was posterior (and I had an anterior placenta). In fact, because of that she wasn't able to get out (her head plates were really stiff and she was just so badly positioned...). The turning techniques that I tried didn't work, she stayed sunny side up right up until she was unable to descend into my pelvis after an hour and a half of pushing (but I wasn't feeling pushy yet, I was being harassed into it, so it's possible she just wasn't ready to start helping). But I didn't have much in the way of back labor, either, it was still mostly in the front (until she banged her head into my tailbone and injured it).

You give me more hope for this time around, with my posterior placenta, maybe I'll have a better chance of getting a baby in a good position for my VBAC!

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
Old 09-13-2008, 04:13 PM

I have an anterior placenta too. My doc said I might have more trouble feeling baby because of the placenta being in the way. (Which initially I did, but not an issue now). She didn't mention the face issue.

All my babies have been OP. I had congenital hip dsyplasia as a baby so my hips are not quite right.

I delivered my first straight OP with a hand. The second spiraled as she finally came out. The third turned during the last part of pushing. The doctor turned the 4th. I had 2nd degree tears wit them all. My labors are long for someone with this many babes. For instance I still pushed for 30 minutes with the last 2.

All 4 had beautiful round heads. No cone heads at all even with #1 who I pushed 2 1/2 hours. I was in the nursery with #3 and one of the nurses asked if I had a c/s because she was so perfect looking.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Old 09-15-2008, 05:01 PM

I had that with 2 of my last 3 pgys and none of my babies presented anterior.

FWIW, I did sit on a birthing ball whenever I was at the computer and was careful not to lie on my back or recline.

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
Old 09-15-2008, 05:20 PM

Is it true that if you have an AP, then your stomach sticks out more, and earlier on?
Old 09-16-2008, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

I don't now if that's the case. I am showing but I'm having a hard time remembering if it was like this with DD.

I asked more ab out the whole posterior baby business. While is it more likely having an anterior placenta doesn't guarantee a posterior baby.

So, I don't know what to think anymore. I think I need to focus more on relaxing and remembering that it's really up to a Higher Force.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObamaMama214 View Post
Is it true that if you have an AP, then your stomach sticks out more, and earlier on?
Nope, at least it wasn't for me. It's not like you have 'extra' stuffing with an AP, the amount filling your belly is the same. So the baby stuff is still in the same position, sticking out just as much for that individual baby no matter where the placenta is.

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
Old 09-17-2008, 07:47 PM

I have an anterior placenta this time too (my first out of 5 pregnancies). It did take me longer to feel the "big" movements, I started showing earlier (and belly button popped out waaay early, and it was harder to find a heartbeat.

My midwife did not make any mention of the sunny side up issue so it must not bother her too much. I never even thought about that. I'm glad you mentioned it though so that I can read up on it and prepare for the prospect of him coming out that way. It's always good to be prepared.

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
Old 09-17-2008, 08:00 PM

my innie bellybutton was an outie pretty quickly--maybe at 4 months? At 3 months it was a half outie. my midwife didn't make much of my placenta being anterior either--I'll read about it and hope it'll all be fine.

Bloomingstar Mommy to DS born 1.16.09 :
Old 09-18-2008, 01:10 AM

My first was an anterior placenta and I felt almost nothing...I wondered what everyone was going on about all these "hiccups" and "kicks". He did not present posterior, nor did my midwife ever mention it. I did not show earlier or have a bigger belly. #2 was on the side and I felt more movement. #3 was posterior placenta and I finally understood about all the movement and stuff. #4 is now also an anterior placenta and I am feeling very little. My midwife told me that in fact the placenta will cushion any movement so it is less likely to feel anything with an anterior placenta.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

That's so weird cause mine's kicking the carp out of me! I get woken up at night with some movements.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietserena View Post
That's so weird cause mine's kicking the carp out of me! I get woken up at night with some movements.
Me too... darling fetus has made a trampoline out of my cervix and the placenta...

She keeps me awake at 3:00 in the afternoon when I am dozing off at my desk with thumping kicks. They arent as sharp as my other two were. They feel a little padded but they are definitely there!
Old 09-18-2008, 04:49 PM

I have had an anterior placenta with every pregnancy. #3 is the only babe I didn't have back labor with. My first was born "sunny side up" the rest all turned in labor, except #5 she was always facing my back and was born frank breech.

I think that having correct posture etc as recommended on www.spinningbabies.com is the best way to try and ensure optimal fetal positioning.

Back labor is do-able, (I have had it bad with 5 of my previous births). For me, I found staying upright and sitting/leaning on a large yoga ball to most helpful.

Best wishes!
Sarah
Old 09-19-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclisa View Post
I have an anterior placenta too. My doc said I might have more trouble feeling baby because of the placenta being in the way. (Which initially I did, but not an issue now). She didn't mention the face issue.

All my babies have been OP. I had congenital hip dsyplasia as a baby so my hips are not quite right.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I had hip dysplasia too. One OB suggested I might not be able to have a vaginal delivery because of it. My other OB doesn't think it will be an issue. Did you have any major problems with your hips during delivery? Did you have problems holding positions or delivering on your back ?My placenta is anterior too.

User Tag List