Who is still nursing? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 10-04-2008, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm still nursing my son. He was down to 2 - 3 times a day, but has recently jumped it up to every hour or so. I can't tell if he's getting anything....I suspect not much because he flips between sides while nursing. My nipple pain with latch has just come back too...maybe because of the increased nursing frequency??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 48 Old 10-04-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleVet View Post
My nipple pain with latch has just come back too...maybe because of the increased nursing frequency??
Have you tried "Open wide" when latching? I find that helps a little.

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#33 of 48 Old 10-04-2008, 10:59 PM

I do tell him...but I only remember to after he's already latched badly once. Must try to remember each time....of course, my nipples are now sore all the time too instead of just at the latch....but latch is worse.
#34 of 48 Old 10-05-2008, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleVet View Post
I do tell him...but I only remember to after he's already latched badly once. Must try to remember each time....of course, my nipples are now sore all the time too instead of just at the latch....but latch is worse.
I know exactly what you're saying. I have a very wiggly poxy toddler in my arms (making it hard to type--whew, she climbed down!) trying to convince me to nurse when I keep telling her "no numma right now, numma ow." I feel bad for it, but she lets me know when it's not okay and I have to grit and bear it.

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#35 of 48 Old 10-06-2008, 05:01 PM

Sadly I had to stop nursing ds last month, I have cervical issues and when he would nurse I was started to contract. I think I miss it more than ds.

sahm for Landon 1/07 and Simon 12/08 Aden 3/8/06
#36 of 48 Old 10-06-2008, 07:10 PM

EBeth, I could have written your post about how you feel about nursing lately. It drives me absolutely insane, and even though I thought I would be a tandem nursing mama, I think it's just not in the cards for me and I am really torn up about it. I want DS to wean so badly, but at the same time I don't really want to give up our nursing relationship. I just didn't want it to end this way, but I feel like I have to stop nursing him now because I resent it so much. I just don't know how to even go about weaning because I was planning on doing CLW. The scary thing for me is that right now I am dreading nursing the new baby because of the way nursing DS makes me feel and I want to be excited about nursing my baby! Luckily, DS is down to nursing about 3 times a day, but he is pretty attached to those three times so they might be difficult to get him to give up. I just don't know what to do, but I'm so glad to hear that other mamas out there feel the same way I do!

Sarah , wife to Tyson :, SAHM to Landon (5), Coleson (3), and new baby boy due any day!

#37 of 48 Old 10-08-2008, 01:29 PM

I so want to be done nursing. My nipples are sooooo dang on sore. My son has critter teeth like my DH: Sometimes I just scream in frustration and you know what DS does? He gives me this huge smile.

There is no way that I can stop nursing him. He is Not having that. The cuddling is not working, he just continues to cry. In fact I'm trying to think about what he'll be like when I go into the hospital for 3 or 4 days. I honestly think he'll be there the entire visiting hours wanting to suck me to death.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#38 of 48 Old 10-08-2008, 02:19 PM

I've hit a new sore stage and even distractions are hard to find to keep me from wanting to run away! It doesn't help that she's started letting her mouth relax enough that I'm feeling teeth--what the heck? Where did this laziness come from? I have to stop her and she's started arguing about coming off, so I have to pry her off with a finger. I know she's sick, but MAN!

I really hope this gets better once the baby's here.

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#39 of 48 Old 10-09-2008, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannah5 View Post
In fact I'm trying to think about what he'll be like when I go into the hospital for 3 or 4 days. I honestly think he'll be there the entire visiting hours wanting to suck me to death.
I'm wondering about this too. Any BTDT mammas?

My guy will probably be fine with other people putting him down to sleep/nap and not notice that he's not nursing since it'll be someone else. But I'm a little anxious about the possibility of him not nursing for several days and then wanting it again and forgetting how to latch and being jealous of the new baby nursing so much more often than him and him associating the new baby with inability to nurse for several days and so much more....

Ack!!
#40 of 48 Old 10-09-2008, 07:20 PM

When I was in the hospital after having DS2 my DH bought DD1 to visit. When I tried to nurse her she bit me, I think out of jealousy. I can't remember what happened the next day or if I even tried to nurse her. DD1 wasn't an attached nurser like DS3 is, so I am really anxious to see what I'm in store for.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#41 of 48 Old 10-10-2008, 10:10 PM

Anyone have a determined nurser ... only the milk is gone? I already posted on this thread, yep, but my milk has completely run out (ds will say "all gone! want some water!" at night and pop off)-- and ds is still all about nursing! I don't mind so much, I would be really sad if he quit, but when does it come back?

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#42 of 48 Old 10-10-2008, 10:53 PM

The milk doesn't come back in larger amounts until the new baby is born...

My daughter weaned this week at 23 months. When the milk dried up at the beginning of the 2nd tri, she tried harder and nursed more frequently for a couple of weeks, acting frustrated, and displeased with the colostrum, then seemed to sort of give up. Dropped down to 2 sessions a day (nap and night) until last week when she just didn't want it anymore.

I feel a tiny bit sad since my goal was 2 years, and I know she only weaned this early because of the pregnancy, but what can you do. I didn't love nursing while pregnant so it's not so bad to get a break. It was painful and uncomfortable. I would have been willing to tandem though. Oh well.
#43 of 48 Old 10-11-2008, 02:07 AM

Mine has disappeared and returned twice now. But yeah, it really comes back with the new baby--which is what I keep telling DD for extra incentive to be excited.

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#44 of 48 Old 10-13-2008, 04:03 AM

I just need to share this with some other mamas (my DH doesn't have the same reaction to this kind of thing). I started trying to wean DS in earnest tonight. He only really nurses now when he goes to sleep (for his nap and at night) and tonight I finally told him, after a bit of a battle and some sobs, we could nurse in the rocking chair for a few minutes, but not in the bed. We rocked and nursed for a few minutes and then when we went to lay in the bed he didn't ask to nurse. Of course, it took him 30 minutes of tossing and turning to fall asleep, but he did it without nursing to sleep! This all followed a really rough evening, though, and I felt bad for springing the no-nursing thing on him, but he handled it reasonably well. I am just at the point where I can't do it anymore and need to listen to my body. I know my son, though, and I think that after another night or two of me telling him that he can't nurse we will be done and he won't look back. I am both sad and excited. I thought for sure I would tandem nurse, but apparently that just isn't going to work out for us this time around. It was such a hard decision for me to decide to wean him, but I feel good about it now that we have started down this path. Now, if I can just survive the next few nights . . .

Sarah , wife to Tyson :, SAHM to Landon (5), Coleson (3), and new baby boy due any day!

#45 of 48 Old 10-13-2008, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_baby_love View Post
I just need to share this with some other mamas (my DH doesn't have the same reaction to this kind of thing). I started trying to wean DS in earnest tonight. He only really nurses now when he goes to sleep (for his nap and at night) and tonight I finally told him, after a bit of a battle and some sobs, we could nurse in the rocking chair for a few minutes, but not in the bed. We rocked and nursed for a few minutes and then when we went to lay in the bed he didn't ask to nurse. Of course, it took him 30 minutes of tossing and turning to fall asleep, but he did it without nursing to sleep! This all followed a really rough evening, though, and I felt bad for springing the no-nursing thing on him, but he handled it reasonably well. I am just at the point where I can't do it anymore and need to listen to my body. I know my son, though, and I think that after another night or two of me telling him that he can't nurse we will be done and he won't look back. I am both sad and excited. I thought for sure I would tandem nurse, but apparently that just isn't going to work out for us this time around. It was such a hard decision for me to decide to wean him, but I feel good about it now that we have started down this path. Now, if I can just survive the next few nights . . .
wow! i did the same thing starting two nights ago. we only nurse twice a day, nap and night. i vacillate on wanting to continue nursing and being ready to quit. i decided that i would cut out the night time feeding first, as my guy already falls asleep on his own in bed after that nursing session. we comprimised by reading one story in the rocking chair (after our three "normal" nighttime stories with daddy). i talked to him about it a few days and nights in advance, so he knew it was coming.

i think i will do this for a few weeks and then decide what to do with naps. i fear that i will lose our nap if i cut out the nursing altogether. the only way he falls asleep (EVER) for nap is at the boob. ugh. he falls asleep in under five minutes if he's nursing, but won't sleep any other way (except in the car sometimes) during the day.

anyway. i guess i'll pass the nap-bridge once we've truly established that the night time feed is gone.

good luck to you my_baby_love on your weaning path. will your guy nap without nursing? if so, i'm totally jealous
#46 of 48 Old 10-14-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainh View Post
good luck to you my_baby_love on your weaning path. will your guy nap without nursing? if so, i'm totally jealous
Well, yesterday did not go so well, and we definitely nursed more than I was hoping. Oh well. I guess that's why it is a process. I did manage to enforce the "nurse only in the rocking chair" rule, which he seems totally fine with.

I am also unsure if he will nap without nursing. I usually bribe him to nap by promising "nursies" and then he usually falls asleep nursing. He does go some days without a nap, but I would like the naps to continue especially while I have a newborn. I am hoping to transition to just being able to rock him to sleep, but we will see about that. Good luck to you, Ainh, as well!

#47 of 48 Old 10-14-2008, 06:46 PM

After not trying to express for *weeks* i tried again this morning and what I get is definitely not milk. DD doesn't seem to mind, apparently to her it's not about what she gets but about the oral stimulation. Or something.

However, we have had more and more times at night when she'll tell me "all gone" and pull my shirt down and ask for water. I've taken to bringing her KK into the bed, and usually she drinks it down by the morning. The only downside is that she's wet through diapers on several occasions so what I need to do is change her sooner. I switched her to sposies at night some time ago, I was just not getting enough sleep waking all night long to change her...

So, I don't know what'll happen. The twiddling bothers me greatly but we've come to sort of a compromise on that (flat hand over my nipple, with my hand over hers) but even that can change day to day. I offered water when she's asked to nurse during the day and I know she's thirsty and probably won't get much from me anyway so she'll want water either way. She mostly takes it that way.

She has been asking for a bottle of milk more and more though. I can't figure out whether it's just fascination with having a bottle or what. I thought about giving her milk in the KK but I soooo don't want to wash the spillproof parts once she leaves the thing somewhere and everything gets gross... At least with the small glass bottle, there are fewer parts (bottle, nipple and the ring) and they don't absorb the smells pretty much at all.
#48 of 48 Old 10-15-2008, 05:27 AM

I'm glad I came across this thread, because I feel the same way about it becoming irritating and almost unbearable. I haven't ever let her twiddle with my other breast so I don't know how you all have been able to deal with that so long!! I didn't even like for her to play with my hair and would pull it back so she couldn't touch it. She now just twirls her own hair when she's sleepy.

I have tons of milk somehow... I lost almost all of it at 8 weeks and DD went down to nursing at just nap and bedtime. Then it came back at 16 weeks and increased even more recently. DD has even tried to add another nursing session back in the mornings but I noticed it was making her poo softer, so I am discouraging that. I think maybe I'm making colostrum now too.

On one hand, I want to tandem nurse, but on the other I feel like she is ready to wean and that the only reason she's holding onto it is because of needing it to fall asleep. I know that she needs to be able to go to sleep without me, especially with the baby coming soon. Last night I nursed her in her bed after reading some books and then I just couldn't stand it anymore so I rocked her. I rocked her so long that my back and neck were aching, but it wasn't enough for her. We ended up lying back down in bed, but I refused to nurse any more. She fussed a little, but actually fell asleep with me rubbing her back (something she has NEVER done!) I tried again tonight and told her ahead of time that I'd nurse her in the chair and then we'd lie down and I'd rub her back so she could fall asleep without nursing again. Nursing was a lot more enjoyable sitting and when I told her it was time to finish, she stopped without me having to pry her teeth off of me for once! Then we went to bed and I rubbed her back, although she did fuss a little. I reminded her that we were done. It actually didn't take long for her to fall asleep! I am amazed. Recently when nursing was bothering me so much, I'd stop her before she was ready and she'd scream and plead PLEEEASE PLEEEASE PLEEEASE like it was the end of the world. I am so glad she is not doing that because it was hard for me to resist!

Mama to DD 9.06 / DD 1.09 and DS 6.10 born at home

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page