Who is still nursing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 09-26-2008, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS (28 months) is still nursing...only twice a day. I'm wondering how it's going for others that are due in January? Emotionally? Physically? Etc?

I admit that I have some desire to wean (mostly because I am on a restricted diet for DS's allergies and I've had horrible nipple pain when he latches on). But I'm also scared to have DS stop nursing. Either way, I'm a bit nervous about how things will for us if he sees another baby nursing from me!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 48 Old 09-26-2008, 11:49 PM

My 3-year-old dd is still nursing, two or three times a day. That's a lot less than before pregnancy when it was more like 6-8 times. I had to cut way back in the first trimester and that was difficult for her at first, but now I think we're both comfortable with the continuing relationship as it is now and I fully expect to be tandem nursing in January. She's been great about understanding limits and doesn't insist if I tell her I would rather nurse her "later."
#3 of 48 Old 09-27-2008, 12:37 AM

I'm in too though only a few times a day, mostly to get her to sleep.

I had a really amazingly hard time with nipple twiddling. It didn't used to bother me this much but not it's just... it makes me angry. I don't know why either. : But DD and I have sort of come to a compromise - as long as either I keep my hand over my free nipple or she keeps her hand on it and then I put my hand over hers, we're ok. Any sort of flicking or repeated touching or anything and I really need to hold back so I don't get angry.

I think she's finally learning to go to sleep without having to hold onto that nipple. I didn'tn even realize it was a requirement until it started to bother me!
#4 of 48 Old 09-27-2008, 12:46 AM

DS (18 mos) still nursing 2-3 times a day--when we wake up, when he goes down for a nap, and bedtime.

the pain isn't bad, and my supply is ok. . .BUT

I am having horrible emotions/nursing aversion or agitation or whatever you want to call it and icky creepy crawlies so I can't stand long sessions. I limit him in terms of time but I do not want to wean. I'm counting on it to go away after he's born.

Also, I think colostrum is coming back b/c DS has had looser stools for 2 weeks now and we've changed his diet and everything. So. . .that's fun
#5 of 48 Old 09-27-2008, 01:12 AM

DD weaned at 19.5 months when I was about 6 weeks PG. I would love to still be nursing her, but she was done. I'll tandem if she wants to once baby is born, but she was down to just twice a day anyways.

I'm actually pretty pleased with myself for making it that far, since I WOH FT, nights, we have a crazy schedule, and I've never known anyone who nursed that long.
#6 of 48 Old 09-27-2008, 03:07 AM

My 3y2m dd nurses once a day or less, meaning sometimes she skips a day. She's actually become really interested in eggs w/ me making them most mornings and now she wakes up and wants eggs instead of nursing. Before this pregnancy, she wouldn't even think of ingesting any egg! I'm fine with the transition as she was only nursing 2x/day early in this pregnancy, so it's been a gradual transition and my body is adjusting well. I do have sensitivity at latch-on, but it goes away. And she doesn't nurse more than 5 minutes a side usually, so that probably helps.

I do wonder what she'll think of babe nursing all the time. We've talked about it some, but who knows. I never thought I'd be nursing a babe of this age anyway, so I have no expectation of tandem nursing or not. She says I still have lots of milk when she does nurse, which surprises me. Not sure when the colostrum starts and don't know if she'd verbalize it anyway.

I was actually excited at the thought of not wearing nursing bras for a while, since she usually nurses in the morning before I get dressed for the day. But, my old bras don't fit well right now and my boring old nursing ones are the only comfortable ones I have. Bleh. I'm thinking I'll want to get a couple new ones for this new baby, considering I'll be wearing them for a while.
#7 of 48 Old 09-27-2008, 03:27 AM

My 23 month old nurses about 5-8 times a day. My supply had dropped to nothing, but she kept at it until it came back (and I think it's colostrum now, because the color's different). No interest in weaning and I have times where nursing is as normal as ever--I feel nothing--and others where it hurts. I keep the painful sessions short and explain why (and feel awful when she sadly whimpers "numma... numma...").

Talkative, AP SAHMama to my bright and spirited girls Lilly 10-15-06, Naomi 1-1-09 vbac.gif and Katarina 11-16-11 vbac.gif

blogging.jpgMusing Mommy
#8 of 48 Old 09-27-2008, 07:49 AM

I'm still nursing my 27 month old. He usually only nurses before bed. It has been exremely painful for about sixty seconds when he latches on. I feel bad--he looks at me with these huge eyes and shakes his head right before he latches and says, "No oww" a few times before he begins. It's just sooo painful that many times I vocalize my pain and always he can see pain in my face. I really try not to. It seems the last couple days it may be getting slightly better. I hope!

At the beginning of this pregnancy I was also nursing my three year old. He self-weaned a couple of months into it. The two year old was nursing a lot more then too.

Even though nursing is tough at times (pain, leaking, lumpy bra pads, pumping at work to have enough expressed milk for an infant) it's so worth it and one of the things I enjoy most. What a wonderful bond for mother and baby/child.

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#9 of 48 Old 09-27-2008, 08:56 AM

A note on twiddling: my dd and I long ago negotiated a compromise. Any twiddling or tweaking and the nursing session stops. But since she seems to need to hold my other breast sometimes especially when trying to fall asleep, a flat hand is allowed. It doesn't bother me nearly as much and seems to satisfy her.
#10 of 48 Old 09-27-2008, 09:32 AM

i am still nursing my 18 month old. i find it unbearable. it is really comforting to hear other people talk about that, because i felt like such a jerk for getting sort of irritated when she fed. i get the total creepy crawlies too, Ebeth. I am dedicated to bfing, and don't want to cut her off completely, but I am also worried about the effects of my aversion. i don't usually outwardly show it, but i feel like she must sense it since she has basically weaned herself to once a day. she really only nurses just before bed. she no longer wakes in the middle of the night, which has been nice.

but i am really worried about baby two. i can only nurse out of one breast, and it was maxed out with beatrice. i pumped to build my volume up with her, but i am still worried about tandem nursing. hopefully, seeing the new little one nurse all the time won't inspire my older daughter to want to nurse all the time as well.

married to my best friend sam sahm to beatrice (04/07) and mourning lucia, born still 12/22/08
#11 of 48 Old 09-27-2008, 10:15 AM

Still nursing my 3y4m DS. We nurse 1-2x a day - in the mornings, and at bedtime, unless he falls asleep in the car. My right breast is painful when he latches, but then it goes away, although I really can't nurse for more than 5 minutes or so, but the left breast -YEOWCH! He knows, and relatches a couple of times to get it correct. He only nurses about 30 seconds on that side (it's always the 2nd breast).

He said yesterday - "Nummy milk!" Maybe it's heading towards colostrum... I can hear him suck/swallow, so I know he's getting some.
#12 of 48 Old 09-27-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacita angelica View Post
i am still nursing my 18 month old. i find it unbearable. it is really comforting to hear other people talk about that, because i felt like such a jerk for getting sort of irritated when she fed. i get the total creepy crawlies too, Ebeth. I am dedicated to bfing, and don't want to cut her off completely, but I am also worried about the effects of my aversion. i don't usually outwardly show it, but i feel like she must sense it since she has basically weaned herself to once a day. she really only nurses just before bed. she no longer wakes in the middle of the night, which has been nice.

but i am really worried about baby two. i can only nurse out of one breast, and it was maxed out with beatrice. i pumped to build my volume up with her, but i am still worried about tandem nursing. hopefully, seeing the new little one nurse all the time won't inspire my older daughter to want to nurse all the time as well.

Your toddler will probably want to nurse more when baby comes. I had supply issues that I barely stayed up on with my DS1, but when DS2 was born I had much more milk because I was tandem nursing. I always build up a huge freezer supply in the first two months so I don't have to worry so much if I can't pump enough at work as baby consumes while I'm gone. Somehow I've managed to get through the first year with both babies without having to use any formula. After a year they just don't get milk unless I'm there to nurse them. (It's not as bad as it sounds--I work three days a week and nurse them before I leave in the morning, at lunch, and all evening on demand. DS1 nursed for over three years and DS2 is still nursing at 27 months with no plans to stop.)

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#13 of 48 Old 09-27-2008, 10:59 AM

DS is 17 mos and still nursing, but we are down to 1-2x per day. I find it somewhat uncomfortable, but it's not painful unless he wants to go for a long time. I do feel like we are going to be ready to wean soon though. He just isn't as into it as he was before (I think my supply is dropping) and I don't feel attached to it anymore. He's more rough now, and it just seems like a big boy sucking on my boob rather than a nice quiet time shared by mommy and baby .

Mommy to DS1 5/07 and DS2 1/09 , wife to an awesome hubby. And someone new coming in March!
#14 of 48 Old 09-27-2008, 11:05 AM

NAK
My 12 month old DS NOD, about 10 times throughtout the day and about 4times during the night.
Emotionally, I'm frustrated
Physically, I'm in pain
I get so frustrated when he moves around or when he plays and keeps coming back and forth to nurse.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#15 of 48 Old 09-27-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietserena View Post
I'm in too though only a few times a day, mostly to get her to sleep.

I had a really amazingly hard time with nipple twiddling. It didn't used to bother me this much but not it's just... it makes me angry. I don't know why either. : But DD and I have sort of come to a compromise - as long as either I keep my hand over my free nipple or she keeps her hand on it and then I put my hand over hers, we're ok. Any sort of flicking or repeated touching or anything and I really need to hold back so I don't get angry.

I think she's finally learning to go to sleep without having to hold onto that nipple. I didn'tn even realize it was a requirement until it started to bother me!
Have you thought about wearing a beaded necklace when you nurse? She'll play with the beads instead of your breast.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#16 of 48 Old 09-27-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainh View Post
I've had horrible nipple pain when he latches on. But I'm also scared to have DS stop nursing. Either way, I'm a bit nervous about how things will for us if he sees another baby nursing from me!!
Ask him to open *wide* when he latches on. I got that tip from the Hilary Flower book and it works pretty well...most of the time. My ds is also 28m and still nursing, sometimes he forgets but I pop him off and remind him right away and usually he complies.

Does he get jealous if you hold friends' babies?

Hey, you should join the May 06 mamas tribe! I know that was OT, but here's the link: may 06 september

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneau View Post
A note on twiddling: my dd and I long ago negotiated a compromise. Any twiddling or tweaking and the nursing session stops. But since she seems to need to hold my other breast sometimes especially when trying to fall asleep, a flat hand is allowed. It doesn't bother me nearly as much and seems to satisfy her.
We do that too. Twiddling makes my skin crawl now.

We nurse mainly in the morning (in fact, we're nursing now! ), for nap, and to relax at night. DP wants me to wean ds still, but I pointed out that he would probably wean himself as soon as the milk ran out--only he didn't. And I don't think there's much in there, because sometimes he'll pop off and sob "all gone!" -- but then he goes right back to doing nursing, esp. if he's tired. Sometimes I hate nursing still, but then at the same time I love it. :

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#17 of 48 Old 09-27-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannah5 View Post
Have you thought about wearing a beaded necklace when you nurse? She'll play with the beads instead of your breast.
I've tried quite a few things - we always have some toys around. But apparently, it has to be hand-to-boob contact in order for her to go to sleep. Toddlers and pregnant women.. let me tell ya!
#18 of 48 Old 09-27-2008, 05:03 PM

My 3 and a half year old is still going strong. Not so much during the day because I'm at work (he comes with me, but I don't usually have the time to nurse during work). At night he wakes me to nurse him 2-4 times. It still really hurts when he latches on. I was hoping that would go away. Maybe it still will - I don't know. I'm 25 weeks today.

Molly, mama to my 3 sweet boys.
: : hale:
#19 of 48 Old 09-27-2008, 10:49 PM

The twins will be 2 next Monday, and they are still nursing 3-4 times a day. Each. I think I will be nursing 3 come January, and I don't know how I feel about that right now. I am trying not to have any preconceived notions about it, and just let things take their course. Both have different twiddling habits, but will stop if a flat hand is placed over their hand. Neither is thrilled when I end a nursing session before they say the are ready, but sometimes a PG mama has to do, what a pg mama has to do.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#20 of 48 Old 09-27-2008, 10:50 PM

Still nursing my 3y7m old dd, usually just down to sleep but she's sick right now (chicken pox) so she's been nursing more. My milk did dry up at around 14 weeks I think?? But just this week she told me there was milk again and I can see now my colostrum came in. The dry nursing was painful, and I have wished her silently to wean a few times...I am surprised she nursed even w/o any milk and I am just going with the flow, I am sure I will be tandem nursing in a few months.
#21 of 48 Old 09-27-2008, 11:39 PM

I thought I'd be tandem nursing, and am kind of sad I won't be. DD weaned fairly early in the pregnancy. She told me there was no more milk. She cut down to once every few days after I got pregnant, and was down to once a week at the end. She's asked to nurse twice in the past 2 or 3 months, but she was unable to actually latch. I did start leaking colostrum yesterday. I almost want to pump and save it for flu season....

Wife to a wonderful DH, Mom to 3 amazing girls and one special boy, IBCLC, supporter of moms. 
#22 of 48 Old 09-28-2008, 03:24 AM

DD just turned 2. We are still nursing, but rarely, sometimes going 2 days with no nursing at all. I'm actually kind of shocked, because at the beginning of the pregnancy she was still nursing to sleep and about 10+ other times a day and a few times each night. First she night-weaned, or I should say, we did it together as I NEEDED the sleep and she understood when I said the nursies were sleeping and would just cuddle up to go back to sleep. From what I can tell, it appears I lost my milk at about 3 months pregnant.

Then I started battling the worst case of thrush I've ever had. It's been almost 3 months now, but I think I have it almost licked. Unfortunately, DD doesn't like the way I taste when I've had the thrush salve on, so lately she asks for milk and then tends to stop right away and tell me its "yucky."

I'm also having some pain and nursing aversion, but when that kicks in I tell her that we can nurse until I count to 10 and she's normally pretty good about that limit. I'm mostly concerned that she's nursing so little when I still have so much of the pregnancy left - and that concern mostly stems from the fact that she has so many food sensitivities that I worry about meeting her nutritional needs from food alone. I don't, at this point, think she is likely to fully wean though, as she still seems very interested in at least talking with me about her "baby milk."

T , mom to S and C
#23 of 48 Old 09-30-2008, 02:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
24 weeks with DD at 3.5yrs and still nursing for naps and in the early AM. Nursing aversion ("dry" nipples like there's no milk yet) happens more often now, but not all of the time.

She's nursing for shorter time lengths now and cuddling more, though, which is a nice easy transition for now.

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#24 of 48 Old 09-30-2008, 03:54 AM

DD is 3yo and 4 months. She mostly only nurses at night when going to sleep. I really wanted to make it through. I teetered back and forth on whether or not I wanted to tandem nurse again, but tonight I told myself, "I am done!". As soon as my milk started to deplete, she started to use her teeth while nursing. I talked to her about it, "use your big mouth" etc. etc. She said, "that's how me does it, mama...that's how me gets the milk out." So, obviously, she did it in response to my milk going, but...she won't stop no matter what I say. She does briefly, but goes right back, and now I think it's becoming habit. She is leaving me with dark purple ring of tooth marks around my nipple and I can't take it anymore. I'm done. It's excruciating. I can handle dry nursing and general pregnancy nursing creepies, but I can't take it anymore. I feel so sad that it is ending this way and on a frustrated note. Crap!

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#25 of 48 Old 10-01-2008, 01:04 AM

OK, update--my DS has not asked to nurse the last 3 nights for bedtime. So part of me is over the moon about it, and part of me is really sad. . .just processing those feelings. He's been on this huge books before bed kick and has been passing out before we get to "nuh nuh" He's missed one night before from time to time, but never 2 consecutive nights and certainly 3 is a shocker!

And yes, I know there are lots of things I can do to get him nursing at bedtime again if I want to keep him going, but I'm going to be honest--I'm incredibly ambivalent and conflicted about nursing right now and although I have initiated parent-led limits such as nightweaning and time limiting our day sessions, I also am not going to offer if he doesn't ask--that's just where I feel comfortable right now. I like what Flowers says in her book about not feeling like you're making a forever decision but that it's okay to just take it day to day.

Still causing me anxiety though that the last THREE days he's skipped one of his major sessions. . .it's like, be careful what you wish for. I'm a little sad for him and for me. Maybe he's just picking up on my ambivalence and not getting enough out of it (figuratively, not literally--I"ve still got milkies, ha ha)

I'm really glad you all shared your stories, especially since I am the only one I know nursing "this long" (ha) and the only one nursing + pregnant I know IRL. . .I also feel like a wimp because I feel like so many of you are more commited to nursing your little ones than I am, making it through worse situations than mine. Like I'm giving up when it's not really that bad. I even was nursed until I was 3 so I feel especially guilty that weaning is a possibility for us right now, that I'm not giving DS the gift I was given I feel like, I don't know, like I'm not as gung ho as I thought I would be. My emotions are really surprising to me.

I think it's the aversion that's killing me. DS and I had 12 weeks of thrush where I literally lost part of my nipples and constantly bled due to tissue damage when he was born--I made it through that pain, we made it through teething and endless night nursings, and I told my DH, if it was just painful, I could take it--BTDT, I think I'm pretty darn tough. If it were just dry nursing, I could handle that.

But the feelings I feel when I nurse are SO strong, and SO disturbing, that it makes something that used to be so treasured into something so crazy and agitating, that alone makes me want to cry. I grieve for my old enjoyment of nursing lost and for his babyhood right to nurse which I feel like I'm stealing from him by getting pregnant again and creating these hormones that make me want to get him off of me the second he latches on.

I don't want to feel that way while I'm doing something that used to feel so perfect and good between us. I remember when I used to get that little nursing high after let down, and even though I still have let down it doesn't do anything to release any of those good chemicals or emotions, and I have even had such strong feelings during nursing where I actually feel like if I don't make him stop RIGHT NOW I will want to throw him away from me. It's just nuts, and I haven't ever met anyone who had it. Thank goodness Flowers wrote a little tiny bit about it in her book or I would think I need psychiatric meds
#26 of 48 Old 10-01-2008, 10:57 AM

EBeth,

I just wanted to say that all of those strong feelings of aversion are REALLY normal! You are more than 1/2 way through a pregnancy. Your body is nurturing your new lo as they grow, and beginning to gear up to begin BFing THAT child. While many people do push through it an continue nursing, there are just as many who chose not to, and that is ok. If your DC is beginning to self wean, maybe he IS ready to wean. Given all that you described with the thrush early on, you can hardly say you haven't sacrificed much to continue BF'ing your child, because you HAVE. Most mamas wouldn't have made it through 10 weeks of thrush. You are a loving committed mama, and your DC has benefited from that love and yummy milk for his whole life. What a gift. Don't compare duration with anyone else. Was your mom PG with another lo while nursing you? If not, don't compare. It is apples to oranges.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#27 of 48 Old 10-01-2008, 06:31 PM

My DD is barely nursing these days. At least once a day, evenings normally, she will come over and ask, so I give them to her, and she sucks for about 5 secs, then wants the others, sucks for 5 secs, then gets off, says mmmm, with satisfaction, then thats it. It can't be enough stimulation to make anything. She's also been favoring her paci lately, which is unusual. So I guess she may be weaning. We too night weaned in the first tri, and it caused her to sleep through the night! Woo Hoo!

mom to Reaghan born underwater into midwife's hands 1/17/07 & Myra born surrounded by doulas and midwife at home 1/12/09. Birth Educator, and Photographer, Baby #3 Coming May 2013!

#28 of 48 Old 10-01-2008, 06:43 PM

I'm still nursing a 3 year old mostly at before bed time at night, nap-time and once during the night (about 1 hour before I rise for the morning…). This is a drastic reduction from the 6-10 times in early pregnancy.

I think my milk is all gone (I'm at 23 weeks), but DS says there is still milk in there and it still tastes the same. It is very frustrating since I have to keep reminding him not to play with the other side (nipple twiddling) and to be still when he nurses. All these rules! Oh well, he still gets his mummy's milk….

Often I get the urge to just push him off in a violent manner. But I grit my teeth through the discomfort, check his positioning and put up with it. After a few minutes the feeling passes and I'm able to fall asleep.

Michele
#29 of 48 Old 10-02-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutie Patootie View Post
DD is 3yo and 4 months. She mostly only nurses at night when going to sleep. I really wanted to make it through. I teetered back and forth on whether or not I wanted to tandem nurse again, but tonight I told myself, "I am done!". As soon as my milk started to deplete, she started to use her teeth while nursing. I talked to her about it, "use your big mouth" etc. etc. She said, "that's how me does it, mama...that's how me gets the milk out." So, obviously, she did it in response to my milk going, but...she won't stop no matter what I say. She does briefly, but goes right back, and now I think it's becoming habit. She is leaving me with dark purple ring of tooth marks around my nipple and I can't take it anymore. I'm done. It's excruciating. I can handle dry nursing and general pregnancy nursing creepies, but I can't take it anymore. I feel so sad that it is ending this way and on a frustrated note. Crap!
: DD nursed to sleep tonight and did not clench her teeth. I have decided to get everyone falling asleep on their own, so I am not nursing her with the lights off etc. They don't care at all, and nursing tonight was so lovely. I laid in bed with her and nursed with the lights on. She fell off to sleep so peacefully while nursing and when she was just barely asleep, I kissed her goodnight and left the room. I am ecstatic that it didn't end on that awful last night the night before last.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#30 of 48 Old 10-02-2008, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

wow. when i started this thread i did not think there would be so many of us in the same shoes. so many of us that are kind of ambivalent about weaning too!

if it weren't for the elimination diet i think i could handle our two-times-a-day nursing regimen. i have been eating a lot of dairy lately though (which i didn't do for over a year, even when we lived in france for three months and i'm a cheese addict) and i know it can't be good for ds. his stools are very runny and stinky and he seems itchier than usual (though he's often itchy). perhaps it is the colostrum that is making it runnier, but would that really happen with nursing only 20 minutes total in a day? i do know that i still have a lot of milk though.

and today when i put DS down for his nap i said "do you think nigh-nighs are making your tummy hurt?" and he said "no, make feel better". that made me smile, even though i don't think it's really true -- for instance, he also told me that "nigh-nighs taste yummy like cow's milk" which he hasn't had since an allergic reaction at seven months to yogurt.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page