Natural Childbirth for Wimps - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-05-2008, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't read all the replies, but I'd say that natural child birth IS for wimps!

NCB may be for you if:

You're horrified by the idea of getting a needle your spine
You're concerned about the known and unknown effects of labor drugs on you & your baby
You'd like to avoid a catheter
You think a pitocin-induced labor sounds like hell on earth
You don't like stirrups, the lithotomy position, vacuum extractions or forceps
You want to avoid an episiotomy or C section and the ensuing recovery

As far as comparing dental work to childbirth, well, let's just say I'd rather go through labor than have my teeth drilled any day. Labor is *GOOD* and your body reacts that way, slowly ramping up (unlike the Mack truck effect of pitocin) and creating natural painkillers along the way. Pain from a drill in your tooth or a broken bone is not at all the same. I hesitate to even call labor "pain" because it's just so different.

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely intense, but environment makes all the difference in how we process and cope with pain. Going through the experience with the expectation of meeting your precious baby is much different than going through torment with the blissful expectation of your dentist's bill. KWIM?

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2008, 11:11 AM

Ok, Im a little sensitive today... which is an understatement. Im FULL ON riddiculously hormonal.

I was reading this and started thinking about dental work and damn near had an anxiety attack over it. (mainly because I know my kids and I are all due for a visit soon and DD will most likely end up getting "the drill") I CANNOT handle the dentist in any capacity... I have to have a dr. give me valium or xanax before I can even sit in the chair to get a cleaning. I am so wrecked over it. (came from a bad experience with wisdom teeth and then again when I had teeth extracted to relieve overcrowding when I got my braces.) I actually got the teary lump in my throat.

Bring on labor... to be honest, Id rather have a broken bone or a sprain than have to get dental work.

Your dentist SUCKS!
Old 10-06-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbean View Post
I haven't read all the replies, but I'd say that natural child birth IS for wimps!

NCB may be for you if:

You're horrified by the idea of getting a needle your spine
You're concerned about the known and unknown effects of labor drugs on you & your baby
You'd like to avoid a catheter
You think a pitocin-induced labor sounds like hell on earth
You don't like stirrups, the lithotomy position, vacuum extractions or forceps
You want to avoid an episiotomy or C section and the ensuing recovery
(<-- that has to be the dumbest smiley ever!)

I totally appreciate that statement!!
Old 10-06-2008, 10:22 PM

(just for acory23 hehehe)
Old 10-06-2008, 11:48 PM

Birth is such a completely different process than dental work, though. It' just uncomparable.

At the dentist, you have no control. You sit there and they do what they do. You can't see what's happening, and no one talks you through what's going on, step by step, what they're doing, etc. And in the end, you may be in more pain than you started with.

With birth, you're the star. You're in control, for the most part (meaning, we can't exactly control those contractions, or uterine muscle reactions, etc.). You can see what's happening, you can help things along with your mental and physical efforts. You have something to work toward, an amazing little something you've been longing to hold for so long now. And you know it'll be over soon enough, and you'll have that precious little bundle to hold and the pain will be with a purpose, for a reason, a miraculous, astonishing, wonderful little baby.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:32 PM

People will never cease to amaze me. I just had emergency dental work due to an infected tooth and horrible pain, but my dentist was great about it.

Yes, labor hurts but it's pain with a purpose. Dental work has no purpose other than torture.

I would write your dentist a letter also to tell her that you didn't appreciate her comment and she should refrain from any commentary in the future.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimimamaiam View Post
People will never cease to amaze me. I just had emergency dental work due to an infected tooth and horrible pain, but my dentist was great about it.

Yes, labor hurts but it's pain with a purpose. Dental work has no purpose other than torture.

I would write your dentist a letter also to tell her that you didn't appreciate her comment and she should refrain from any commentary in the future.
She's not my regular dentist and I don't think she thought she was mean or out-of-line. But I'll probably drop a note in February AFTER my natural childbirth
Old 10-11-2008, 12:36 AM

Hey, I'm a DDC lurker, just pop in now and then, but this is my second pregnancy, and I just wanted to chime in saying I'm another BIG WIMP who got through natural childbirth just great. People adore scaring pregnant women - I'm sure you have heard horror stories all over the place, just as I did. And yet most births are just fine. I had a fast labor and despite the mental prep and research, got very scared at the beginning, thinking I was in very early labor and imagining the pain getting worse and worse for 20 hours or something...! But I had it in my head to hold on until the doula came, and then once I was in my own room (#1 was in a hospital), I suddenly knew I could do it and just rode it through. Transition was a b*tch, but it was something I could deal with...and then pushing was really just fine; I could even joke a bit with people. I wouldn't call labor enjoyable, and I certainly wouldn't expect an orgasmic birth (more power to those who get this!), but it is not something that you can't do if it's a normal labor. Definitely, you can do this.

I also have to recommend Ina May's books. She got me through - the suggestions of making low-pitched vocalizations, the explanations of what is going on (and why puking is actually a good thing!), the little mantras to say to yourself - it was immensely helpful. And having positive mental images will really help you. Sure, there's a chance of needing help or the labor going a different way than you imagine, and we're adults and understand the need for flexibility. But if you've done the research and you have prepared yourself, it is certain that you can get through a normal labor just fine.

And you'll feel so powerful. It will be great.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:51 AM

Why do people so love to scare PG women? It's just MEAN!

I'm reading the Hypnobirthing book and though we're not taking the classes or anything, it's a really interesting read. I can really see it helping.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Banned

When it comes to getting a shot I freak out. I basically have a panic attack over it. But childbirth is something completely different, and if you keep in mind how much better it is for you baby, how much healthier she will be for it, you will have no problem

User Tag List