WICKED craving for beer - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 10-04-2008, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I know this could turn out to be a controversial thread but since you ladies all seem to be massively supportive, open minded, and educated, I feel comfortable with sharing it with you.

I have never been much of a beer drinker. Not much of a drinker at all. I will have the occasional beer if I go out to a concert or if I am at a restaurant (usually with steak or barbecue) but usually a wine drinker and of course, girly drinks... and I NEVER crave alcohol.

But lately I have wanted a beer so bad I cant stand it. When I think about it my salavary glands ache and my mouth waters (I know that you know the feeling I am talking about)

does anyone else have this craving? I know there is debate on whether or not it is safe to indulge once in a while. I know that beer is much safer than diet soda but a lot of women drink that like its water. So should I feel bad for craving? Should I feel bad that I am actually considering cracking open a nice frosty bottle of beer and enjoying (probably only a few sips. Im a lightweight when Im not PG and I am notoriously infamous for "dead soldiering" or wasting most of a beer) and I dont by any means want to get drunk or even buzzed. Its not about the alcohol. Its about the fact that I want the experience (taste, mouth feel, smell, sound) of a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, a Guiness, a Harpoon Cider or a nice artisan micro brew.

Discuss...
#2 of 26 Old 10-04-2008, 09:07 PM

Go for it. One beer, especially if you're just looking for a couple sips, is no big deal in my book. I won't be doing it, but that's because beer sounds absolutely horrid to me these days! I can't even be in the room when DH has one!
#3 of 26 Old 10-04-2008, 09:16 PM

I'm not much of a red wine drinker, but this pregnancy, I've been craving it! When I'm out with DH and his parents, they always order red wine. I wake one sip, swish it in my mouth, and let my taste buds enjoy. That seems to satisfy my craving, and I really don't think I'm hurting my little one with that amount. This has only happened 3-4 times.
#4 of 26 Old 10-04-2008, 09:48 PM

I work in the wine industry, and every mother in the industry I talk to has had at least a little wine in their second and/or third trimesters. Some have as much as a glass a night, others a glass a week... My male work peers say the same for their wives. I have a few sips of wine with dinner a few nights a week, depending on what I had open for work that day, (German Rieslings are great because they're so low in alcohol) but my palate is much different than usual... so it's not quite as enjoyable as it normally is. In any case, it's usually around 2 or 3 ounces. And wine has more alcohol than beer... Half the time I take a sip, and end up pouring it out because it doesn't taste like it used to.

I have to taste wine every day for work, but I usually spit it out while I'm working anyways. I had talked to a good friend who is an OB-Gyn about this very early on, and he said that even in my first trimester, the tasting and spitting was fine. And that in my second and third trimesters, a little sipping is fine as well.

I sympathize with those beer cravings. I crave them a lot more than I crave wine these days. I've been satisfying mine with a non-alcoholic beer every once in a while. some of them are really bad, but I've found a few that I like... Bitburger Drive is one of my current faves. I don't see why you can't have a few sips of normal beer now and then, either. Maybe stick to those that are lower in alcohol, if you're concerned about that. If you're like me, a few sips will be enough to satisfy those cravings.

I do also want to point out that the "no-amount-is-safe" orthodoxy is a very American view point. America has always had a strange relationship with alcohol, just look at our drinking age compared to that of other countries in the world and our high rate of alcoholism. Oh and don't even get me started on prohibition. In those countries where wine and beer are treasured and historical parts of their culture, pregnant women often continue to drink in moderation with meals throughout their pregnancy.
#5 of 26 Old 10-04-2008, 09:56 PM

I crave beer, too, and did in my last pregnancy too. I always keep a cold one in the fridge and when I really want one, I make my dh split it with me. (He gets most of it, usually, but I satisfy the urge). It's only ended up being once every couple of weeks, but boy, it sure tastes good. I have a splash of wine now and again when others around me are drinking but it doesn't taste nearly as good as it usually does. But beer,
#6 of 26 Old 10-04-2008, 09:56 PM

I forgot to mention that last week when I was at an account, I had to taste one of my wines and realized there was no spit bucket or cup in sight. So I swallowed my sip, and one of the other wine reps (one that I don't like very much) that was there practically screamed across the room, "YOU'RE DRINKING WINE??? WHILE PREGNANT???"

I looked at her, and calmly replied, "Yes, I drank a sip of wine. Which will not hurt my baby. Do you really think I would knowingly do anything to harm my unborn child?"

But I actually wanted to walk across the room and punch her.
#7 of 26 Old 10-04-2008, 10:16 PM

Have one! I just finished a pumpkin ale.Yummmmy!
#8 of 26 Old 10-04-2008, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~gilli~ View Post
Have one! I just finished a pumpkin ale.Yummmmy!
OMG... that sounds spectacular. What is it like?
#9 of 26 Old 10-04-2008, 10:43 PM

I agree that one should be just fine. But, if you're still worried about it, I got some non-alcoholic beer this past pregnancy and it was really good! I can't remember the brand, but it was a lighter colored one like Heineken.

Once again, Chesapeake me!
#10 of 26 Old 10-04-2008, 10:49 PM

Ive been craving too!...I had a sip of dh beer at a mexican restaurant(some mexican draft..mmm)..I had a sip of champagne for a friends bday toast(NOT SO GREAT! and I love champagne!)....ive tried to stay away frm the red wine though cause i love it so much and it smells sooo good that i know im just going to be sad! lol!....

Im a bartender and i have ALOT of regulars who come in with they're husbands and last to a certain point and then the cravings start...its usually when they want a wine spritzer made with about a half an ounce of white wine and a ton of gingerale LOL, they have one andthey are done! LOL.

With ds...I lasted until about two weeks b4 he was born, had about 4 sips of beer and realized i would get drunk off a can of beer if i kept drinking LOL

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#11 of 26 Old 10-04-2008, 11:02 PM

Oh, yeah, like jennasuz points out, your palate has probably changed - just be aware it may not taste all that great. It may not be exactly what you wanted and you'll still just crave it.
#12 of 26 Old 10-05-2008, 12:02 AM

YESSS, I've sooo been craving beer this pregnancy. Not just any beer I might add....It has to be spaten's oktoberfest

YUM
#13 of 26 Old 10-05-2008, 12:13 AM

Many beers are loaded with B vitamins, so you might be a little deficient in that area.

I usually have a sip or two of my husband's when he has one. That seems to satisfy my craving for now, but like others said, I'd have no qualms about drinking an entire beer (but I'd drink it slowly). Hey, Guinness is supposed to be really good for pregnant women -- it not only has B vitamins but lots of iron, too!

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#14 of 26 Old 10-05-2008, 12:40 AM

I have had very strong cravings for beer this whole pregnancy! In my first trimester, when I was totally sick, the only thing that sounded good was beer.

Now that I'm close to my third trimester, I'll have half a beer or half a glass of wine with a meal maybe once or twice a week. Beer especially tastes good! If my husband and I go out to eat, we'll usually share a glass of something. We've found a few wine bars and breweries around here that serve half-glasses or tasters, so sometimes I'll order one of those.

Beer sounds so good. I just finished a dinner of beef stew and I'm having my glass of milk. But beer sounds so much better!!!

Interesting about the b vitamins and iron!
#15 of 26 Old 10-05-2008, 02:13 AM

Go for it. Americans are irrationally paranoid about alcohol and pregnancy. We constantly hear the "We don't know how much it takes to hurt the baby" crap... but wait, that's kind of a crock:

A large study examined 400,000 women in the U.S., all of whom had consumed alcohol during pregnancy. Not a single case of fetal alcohol syndrome occurred and no adverse effects on children were found when consumption was under 8.5 drinks per week.

That, and more, can be found at this link: http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/Fet...yndrome.html#6

I've also had cravings for wheat beer. Granted, I've only had a couple of drinks since getting pregnant... but I'm mostly avoiding alcohol for dietary reasons (I don't need the empty calories), not because I think OMG A GLASS OF WINE IS GOING TO KILL MAH BABY!

The Europeans must think we're reaaaally nuts on this one.

EDIT: Now I'm REALLY craving a Sam Adams! I'd have one but I already overdid it on Mexican food tonight and think the heartburn might kill me...
#16 of 26 Old 10-05-2008, 07:22 AM

At this point there is nothing wrong with an occasional drink especially if your body is craving it so much. If you don't want to wait to split it with someone, crack one open and marinate a piece of beef or flavor another dish with half drink the rest and enjoy.

Sadly I haven't had any cravings like that, just for sweets.
#17 of 26 Old 10-05-2008, 08:04 AM

i say go for it. i think those cravings end up growing out of control unless we indulge it. drink a guiness for me! they are lower in alcohol than a lighter beer AND have a bunch of good vitties. plus, boosting breast milk production.

great. now i have a craving.

married to my best friend sam sahm to beatrice (04/07) and mourning lucia, born still 12/22/08
#18 of 26 Old 10-05-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acory23 View Post
OMG... that sounds spectacular. What is it like?
It's super good. The pumpkin ale I had was from a Maryland micro brew. It has just a hint of spices with the pumpkin flavor in the background. Along the lines of Magic Hat #9 my fav!
#19 of 26 Old 10-05-2008, 01:52 PM

I enjoy a glass of wine on occasion once I get to the 2nd trimester, so I say enjoy!
#20 of 26 Old 10-05-2008, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

I normally love wine but even just the smell of it turns my stomach. Funny how much your taste flips when pg.

So I had beer. about a third of an Amstel light. I started with a sip of Sam Adams and it tasted TERRIBLE... so I tried the Amstel. It was GREAT! It wasnt quite what I was craving but it hit the spot. And I finally slept through the night. It didnt buzz me or anything. I dont know if the beer had anything to do with it but I slept through the whole night and woke up feeling great.

Thanks for the moral support!
#21 of 26 Old 10-05-2008, 05:04 PM

I want one too. A really "meaty" dark beer. And I'm gonna have one, one of these days.

I had some wine recently, and it tasted AWESOME. I had a total of maybe half a glass (the way you're supposed to pour a glass, not full-to-the-brim), and I felt like it knocked me loopy -- but WOW it was good.
#22 of 26 Old 10-05-2008, 07:10 PM

Oh how I love this thread! The non-alcoholic brew just isn't cutting it and I have been dying for even a taste of regular beer.
You guys have convinced me not to feel guilty if I take a sip off of dh's beer-
Thank you!
#23 of 26 Old 10-05-2008, 07:26 PM

I normally hate beer and also have loved taking a few sips from the glass of the bf a few times...I wasn't showing at the time though so I might not do it in public anymore, but I did go out and buy some sharp's which might not be as good as odouls...and it wasn't as good as a ****** lite, but it worked. I used to love wine and now I am not even craving it, but am also craving some mixed drinks. More cravings for alcohol for me in the first trimester than the second, but I figure a few sips won't hurt anything.
#24 of 26 Old 10-06-2008, 07:30 AM

From 18 to 22 weeks I desperately craved a Guinness which I have tasted once ever and did not like.

It was all I thought about but my husband forbade me

It passed.
#25 of 26 Old 10-06-2008, 01:51 PM

Ewww... I have NO cravings for beer, but then I never have been much of a beer drinker. Except I do like the oatmeal stout from a local microbrewery.
BUT, I love red wine (and champagne and dessert wines)! I've had a half to a full glass with dinner on probably 6 occasions since 14 weeks. I definitely subscribe to the European point of view on this! To each her own, but I prefer to occasionally indulge in delicious things like wine, raw cheese, chocolate, cupcakes, etc. It makes me happy and relaxed, which is good for the baby!

SAHM to DS Jan09, DD Mar11. lactivist.gifintactivist.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpguc.jpgwinner.jpggd.gifcaffix.gif

#26 of 26 Old 10-06-2008, 08:33 PM

The beer cravings are always something which kick up for me during pregnancy. I'm not sure if its because I feel more conscientious about having a beer when I want to or what.

I agree that pumpkin ale sounds yummy, but over the summer I indulged in a bit of wheat, lemon beer. It was sooooooo good. Now with winter I want something a bit more hearty, and I'm totally considering bringing a Guinness (which I love!) to enjoy after delivery. YUM.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page