Flu Shot? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I had an appointment with my OB today, and they sprung the flu shot option on me. I never get one, but the nurse and doc kept urging me that it was the right thing to do for my baby. I kind of feel like I got badgered into getting one, and still don't feel 100% confident with my decision to consent. : Afterwards I practiced yoga, and felt awful. Couldn't sit still, couldn't get in to my breath, just not at ease at all. I've been extremely irritable all night.

Is anyone else planning on getting a flu shot?
#2 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 02:46 AM

I hate it when they gang up on you. :
#3 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 09:45 AM

That is not cool that they pressured you into getting one.

I will not be getting one... I never do. I really don't beleive in them. My docs have pressed me for years to get one as I have fibromyalgia, and therfore a somewhat "compromised" immune system... but I know lots of people who get the flu shots and still get the flu... there are tons of strands of the flu, and one shot isn't going to protect against them all...

I'm really sorry they all ganged up on you and made you feel like you'd be hurting your baby if you didn't. What a tough spot to be in. I want to slap those docs.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#4 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 10:04 AM

I find it ironic that they want to give a flu shot full of toxins including mercury in many cases to immunocompromised people and people in a weaker condition already. Personally I find no value in the flu shot and think it causes more harm than good. (I've seen a lot of research and presentations on vaccines in general. One that stands out in my mind, is that having a flu shot five years in a row, increases your risk of Alzheimer's substantilaay. I can't remember the exact statistic, but it was startling.) I just think most vaccines are harmful to us and of little or no benefit. My personal feeling is that there is just so much money in it for the the darn drug companies. (End rant!

By the way, I respect others who do their own research and make a different choice than I do.

I am so sorry you were pressured to make a choice you are uncomfortable with. (Please don't be scared that one flu shot is going to cause you or your baby problems.)

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#5 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 10:20 AM

I hate that feeling. I have never had a flu shot nor have my children. I know people who have gotten the flu in spite of the flu shot. I say skip it. Just make sure you boost antioxidants and drink lots of water, wash your hands, and if you get sick you get sick. You arent elderly or have a disease that is lowering your immune system enough to keep you from fighting off the flu. Being sick while pregnant sucks but it sucks far less than doing something that could potentially harm the baby in utero. And what if you have a bad reaction from the flu shot? I know lots of people (espcially children and pregnant women) who have bad reactions.

Its totally up to you. Its your body but if you do get the flu shot... be 100% sure its thimerosal free! (thimerosal is mercury, which has been linked to autism) as long as it is mercury free, it should not cause a problem in the long run.

And tell them to back up off of you or you will scream. That actually gets results!
#6 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 10:21 AM

I hate when they gang up on you, : that usually is my first clue to decline whatever it is they are offering...They did that at the dentist office when I declined flouride for me and my kids...they went crazy with that one...
I will at times when they are pushing stuff say that I will check into it and let them know at my next appointment just to give myself some time to make a truly informed decision.

:
#7 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 11:43 AM

It's interesting you brought this up because I just came over to this DDC to post about starting vaccine research.

As far as taking care of yourself, be sure and load up on Vit C and drink lots and lots of fluids. Absolutely stay away from any fever reducers (which strain and inhibit the liver's function). I'm sorry you were bullied, especially when pregnant. :

In order not to hijack your thread, I'm going to start another thread with info on the flu shot. For the record, neither me nor my husband would ever get one or allow one to be given to our children.

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#8 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone... of course, I still feel terrible about my decision, but what's done is done. And in the future, I know to stand up for myself.

I'll be so mad if I still end up with the flu...
#9 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennasuz View Post
I'll be so mad if I still end up with the flu...
I know it's not right but it seems to me that if you do end up with the flu you have grounds to sue them.
#10 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietserena View Post
I know it's not right but it seems to me that if you do end up with the flu you have grounds to sue them.
I second that! They PUSHED you into it. You were made to feel uncomfortable and they told you it was for your own good.

I hope you dont get the flu! Its a good thing you are eating like a pregnant woman because you are less likely to get sick!
#11 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 02:54 PM

No flu shot for me, they haven't mentioned it yet either. I also plan on changing providers to a MW soon. Which reminds me I have to call her ASAP.

DS doesn't get one either. We don't do regular check ups and his Ped was NOT happy about that. That's what I have to say to that!!

so sorry you got bullied into taking it. Try not to beat yourself up over it.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#12 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo F. View Post
DS doesn't get one either. We don't do regular check ups and his Ped was NOT happy about that. That's what I have to say to that!!
:

Thats why we found a new ped. And she actually told me that as long as she sees my kids at least once a year, I dont need to bring them in unless there is good cause. She said she respects my parenting ability adn trusts me to do what is best because I have a good mom instinct. AND ITS TRUE!

Just like prenatal care. You dont need a doctor for prenatal care. You are the one who takes care of you. Not them. They are just supposed to check in from time to time to make sure all is well.
#13 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acory23 View Post
:

Thats why we found a new ped.

Just like prenatal care. You dont need a doctor for prenatal care. You are the one who takes care of you. Not them. They are just supposed to check in from time to time to make sure all is well.

That's what I need to do, darn procrastination!!

And agree 100%

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#14 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 10:37 PM

On Monday I had my 28 week checkup, and got the whole flu shot lecture too. I asked if they have the mercury free shot and the nurse said, Yes, but it has to be brought up from the pharmacy. She was really nice to me but made a point to tell me that they have had a couple of maternal deaths due to not being vaccinated for the flu. Ugh! Whey do they always throw that card in? Just to scare us.

Anyway, when she was done she just stood there and waited for me to answer and I just looked at her with a blank stare and said, "I haven't made up my mind." Interestingly, my doc didn't push it at all. The medical community really frustrates the heck out of me on all fronts not just prenatal care.
#15 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 10:50 PM

I got it and my dp, ds, and dp's friend all came down with flu symptoms the same week. I've never gotten it before but I've heard it doesn't really work. Last time I'm getting it.

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#16 of 18 Old 10-16-2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimimamaiam View Post
She was really nice to me but made a point to tell me that they have had a couple of maternal deaths due to not being vaccinated for the flu. Ugh! Whey do they always throw that card in? Just to scare us.
I bet anything that she completely made that up. The chances of a woman of childbearing age dying from from the flu are very, very tiny.

Additionally, the flu vax only covers 3 strains of flu. Last year, 2 of the 3 strains were already obsolete by the time the vax launched. With hundreds of flu strains in circulation and constantly mutating, what's the chance of contracting the ONLY ONE covered by the vax? Especially when that strain was harvested nearly a year prior (hence has had lots of time to mutate).

Oh, and there's absolutely NO proof that the vax actually works! Most studies of vax efficacy show no impact on flu rates whatsoever.

Honestly, if anyone tries to pull that on you again, ask him/her for specifics and ask which strains of flu these women supposedly had. I feel it's important for each of us to take a stand to stop this kind of fear mongering and bullying of women.

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#17 of 18 Old 10-16-2008, 12:03 PM

:
I don't get the flu vaccine for the various reasons the poster above me has listed.
When I worked in the hospital as an RN with my first, it was my employers, rather than my doctor, who did the vaccine pressuring. I'm sorry you got bullied into having it.
Did your doctors practise really have two maternal deaths due to flu? That seems like a LOT! I wonder if she was pulling obscure flu deaths (of other practises) in order to scare you.
#18 of 18 Old 10-20-2008, 08:38 AM

no shots, here.

If I'm in a situation like you describe (feeling pressured), I opt out saying I'll think about it and let them know at a later date if I want to move forward.

That way, I have time to discuss it or think about it and put the responsibility on myself to do something, if anything, more. It sucks to feel pressured!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page