Mothering Forum banner

Whose Else Is Not Finding Out The Sex

857 views 24 replies 24 participants last post by  sarahmagoo 
#1 ·
This is the first time that I decided not to find out the sex. I can't believe that I made it this far, hope I can be strong. Who else is going to try to be strong and not find out?

ETA Of course that title should have read Who not Whose,LOL

#2 ·
We're not finding out. It was tough during my ultrasounds (I've had to have several for medical reasons) but now that I'm past them, it's easy. I'm really glad I stuck to my guns! I can't wait for my surprise to arrive on my baby's birthday!

#8 ·
We're not having an ultrasound unless something looks to be a problem, so it's been easy not to find out.

A friend of mine didn't seem to get the concept that no one knows- she seemed to think that my "doctors" (I've got mw's) must surely know somehow and I just asked them not to tell. I had to explain that, no, NO ONE KNOWS- not me, not anyone, because no one has done any of the necessary things to find out.

#9 ·
We're not finding out!
I only had a quick 10wk u/s b/c of spotting, and a 10-second ER u/s at 16 wks b/c of fainting (doc insisted
), so we haven't even had the opportunity. I imagine it would be a LOT harder to not find out if we'd done the anatomy scan - I'm so impressed with anyone who does and still manages to wait!
Surprisingly, a lot of people have been really positive about it being a surprise - except my mom, who's extremely annoyed!

#10 ·
We're leaving this one a surprise too! My friends would like to know, for shopping etc, but oh well. Other than stocking up on clothes, there is no real reason to find out. But in the beginning they don't need much, and if I have a boy, he can wear pink to bed LOL, but really, all my girlfriends have had boys this year, so either way we're fine. We had the 20 wk anatomy US, and the baby had its foot in its crotch so it was easy to not see on accident, and we have no pics of that area since we didn't go through the effort of trying to see. I can't wait to meet the baby and see. And really, I don't miss the paranoia I had about my DD being a boy and not what the only US at 20 had told us.

#11 ·
Not finding out...its been difficult since I've had 4 u/s w this baby! Im dying!...w ds I found out b/c I saw a penis..this one I've been careful not to look..my fam would love to know to start buying pink but I'm really excited not to know this time around...sucks for knitting though, I'm going through white yarn like crazy!

#13 ·
I'm not finding out the sex! Part of me wants a boy because we have all the stuff already and the 2 boys can share a room. Part of me wants a girl to do female bonding stuff and because my son is so physically demanding.

Hospitals around here have a policy of not telling the sex at the 20 week U/S for several reasons. They have made mistakes in the past and want to avoid litigation. Many hospitals here are also affiliated with various religious denominations and at 20 weeks you can still legally abort if the baby is the "wrong" gender. If you ask, a few technicians will let it slip, or linger the scan on the appropriate part for parents to figure it out for themselves. But this is more common in subsequent scans if you must go for fetal assessment.

Most moms in this area go to a private U/S clinic to have "pictures" done and the gender determined if they don't have to go for fetal assessment. To me its not worth the $100+ (medical U/S are covered by our provincial Medicare, non-medical ones are paid out of pocket).

To be honest, when my first was born, I was soo overjoyed to have a baby that after 10 minutes the midwife had to prompt me with, "So, is it a boy or a girl??".

Michele

#14 ·
This is my third. I have wanted a girl all three times. With my oldest, I found out that he was a boy a month before he was born. I had to get an u/s because of pre-e and was so disappointed when I saw the turtle. My mom and I went shopping for an outfit afterward and were so disappointed that we couldn't find any cute boy clothes. We were wanting to pick out frilly dresses. With my second, I found out when he was born. I was just so glad that it was over that I didn't care that it was another boy. That is my plan this time as well. If it is a girl, I will be overjoyed. If it is another boy, I will not be too upset because I will be done with pregnancy and labor and just so glad that I get to have another baby.

#15 ·
I'm not finding out! I've had a few ultrasounds, and I always tell the tech not to tell me...its worked so far!

The funniest thing is that all my friends are always asking me how I don't look at the ultrasound to find out...and then they always wonder why I don't just want to find out ASAP. I just want to be surprised - and since I don't really care if its a boy or girl it'll be more fun to be surprised

#19 ·
Today, the concierge in my building looked at me and said "you're having a boy, right?" I said we didn't know. He said "well, I've been right the last four times - I think you're having a boy."

My chiropractor also thinks it's a boy, somehow based on my face, although she said she can tell better near the end.

My sister also thinks it's a boy.

Does anyone else have random people in your lives certain about your baby's gender? I think it's funny when people guess, but I'm starting to get a little convinced it's a boy, since everyone but my mom is telling me that!

#20 ·
I had the pharmacy techs every time I go in for my Zofran Rx discuss if I was having a boy or girl. They finally decided it was a girl because of the amount of vomiting I was doing. Well, they were right. I just HAD to find out if we could, because I don't like surprises that I know are coming. Drives me crazy. So thankfully the ultrasound was very clear.

mfrykas, my tech at the ultrasound, after asking if we wanted to know, preceeded it with "Now, we cannot tell you 100% for sure if its a boy or girl for legal reasons, its only a best guess." She then took a look and went "Okay, about 95% sure its a girl." A couple minutes later she kinda giggled and went "Nevermind, I'm 99.999999% sure its a girl." But still not 100% for that same reason as apparently Canada?

#21 ·
We didn't find out with DD and aren't with this one either. It's great motivation for me in labor. I've had quite a few US due to medical issues and every time, before they even touch me, I warn them that I don't want to know the sex. It helps to avoid any slip ups or tempting offers by the tech.

My MW thinks it's a boy. A lot of my coworkers think girl. I thought girl, now boy. Who knows?
Either way, it will be just what was meant to be!

#23 ·
We're having twins and we don't know what we're having. I have to remind my perinatologist every time we go in not to tell us, in case they see anything. We didn't know with our first and there are so few surprises, we excited not to know. When people ask "What are you having?" My response is "Two. We know we're having two."

#24 ·
We've never found out...I will say that it is harder this time...mostly because our 5 yr old really, really, really wants to know. (He wants a sister! - says there are too many boys in this family
) -

Still - I love, love, love
: finding out at the birth itself...so fun!

Traci

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.