Um, wow...this is pregnancy - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 10-28-2008, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone getting bikini waxes? I'm considering... I've only had it done once, and it was years ago. I have a friend who swears by brazilian... but I'm so nervous! I usually shave, but that's getting pretty ridiculous. How long do I have to wait after shaving to get a wax job? I'm always afraid I'll wait too long or not long enough. Such a rookie.

I hate putting on shoes and socks. I'm glad that I've continued my yoga practice and still have flexible hamstrings... I'm able to lay back on my pillows and pull my leg back to my head sort of like this. Thank goodness, because the bending over was killing me!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 36 Old 10-28-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennasuz View Post
Is anyone getting bikini waxes? I'm considering... I've only had it done once, and it was years ago. I have a friend who swears by brazilian... but I'm so nervous! I usually shave, but that's getting pretty ridiculous. How long do I have to wait after shaving to get a wax job? I'm always afraid I'll wait too long or not long enough. Such a rookie.
There's NO WAY I'd get a brazilian right now! I am also just sore and swollen anyway, but just the thought of someone ripping (ok, pulling) away the hair down there with hot wax...: NO WAY! It lasts for a good while but oh the pain! I don't think it's worth it. And after shaving, I'd wait for the hair to get at least a half inch before I'd even consider it worth going through all of that in the first place. the longer the hair is when you wax, the more you preserve your skin.

Bloomingstar Mommy to DS born 1.16.09 :
#33 of 36 Old 10-28-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomingstar View Post
There's NO WAY I'd get a brazilian right now! I am also just sore and swollen anyway, but just the thought of someone ripping (ok, pulling) away the hair down there with hot wax...: NO WAY! It lasts for a good while but oh the pain! I don't think it's worth it. And after shaving, I'd wait for the hair to get at least a half inch before I'd even consider it worth going through all of that in the first place. the longer the hair is when you wax, the more you preserve your skin.
+10,000!!!

Noooo thanks. I got a full Brazilian once and I will NEVER do it again, pregnant or not. In my case, it really DIDN'T last that long, so it was doubly not worth it.
#34 of 36 Old 10-28-2008, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomingstar View Post
I agree. The first waxing after shaving is far more painful than a waxing after a previous waxing. The longer the hair the more painful. The hair has to be longer after shaving than after waxing. The farther into pregnancy, the more painful and the longer it takes the skin to heal (and the harder it is to pull the skin which reduces the pain). If I hadn't kept it up, there's no way I'd start now. I'm refusing to deal with shaven hair growing back down there, so it's either wax or full growth at this point!

But ... if you do want to start, make sure the esthetician does something different with pregnant woman, especially with a brazillian, (I'm not sure what they change, but there are ways to make it more comfortable, and they take a bit more time doing it). A bad bikini/brazillian wax isn't worth it. Try to get a recommendation from someone if you can. Actually, even if you are going for a bikini, get someone who does brazillian if you can. They seem to have a better skill set! If you are already swollen or irritated down there, I wouldn't risk it either.
#35 of 36 Old 10-28-2008, 08:00 PM

I agree that my bikini area is probably more sensitive now, and no I don't regularly shave or wax, but trust me her...

Ingrown hairs from a hospital shave down are worse than healing scar tissue!!!!!
They used electric trimmers on me, and they weren't that sharp. Then as the hair grew back in around the surgical site it was so itchy and irritating that it drove me crazy. You can't even scratch because of the healing surgical scar. Man, it is awful.

I am going to suck it up and get a bikini wax at least to the level I know they will shave me to in an emergency, I didn't have any trouble with longer hair anywhere else the last 2 times.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#36 of 36 Old 10-29-2008, 12:52 PM

I did it... lastnight I was feeling particularly adventurous (and I knew that I have a chiro appointment today so if I mess up my back, I would be covered) so I bit the bullet and Veet-ed my legs and bikini area and did a little "pruning of the hedges". I had to sit on the edge of the tub and put my feet on the wall and hold up my belly and hold by breath... the whole ordeal took me about an hour!! hopefully it will last a little while. That would be good.
I was so proud of myself for having done it that I couldnt wait to show DH but he came home from work grumpy and tired and irritable (sometimes hes worse than a pregnant woman) so I didnt get to show off my hard work. Poo! Im quite proud of myself. So much so that I wore a skirt to work today!!

Having sacroilliac joint dysfunction AND sciatica is seriously the most discomfort I have ever felt (for a prolonged period of time) Honestly, after dealing with this, labor and delivery will be a frickin walk in the park.

I want my body back! I WANT TO SLEEP AGAIN! I want to be able to walk or sit without pain. I want to be able to relax. GRRRR! Chiro helps but only for a couple of days and then its back to pain. I cant afford to go every week but I feel like I need it.

I need to find a swimming pool. I have no idea where to find an indoor pool around here (other than a hotel) why cant January just hurry up and get here already?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page