Mothering Forum banner

Considering Leaving my full time job

5K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  advisor201529 
#1 ·
I am currently taking steps in preparation of leaving my job. I am a full time mid-level manager at a university however the job is so stressful and time-consuming that it is causing excessive stress and anxiety in my life. I have a side craft business that is in its second year - and is doing pretty well. I also got a job at starbucks to help supplement my income. My partner and I can live on a reduced income if we adjust our lifestyle. I am not usually the risk taker but I am not happy with my current quality of life, so I must make a change. Today's job market has not lent itself to finding a new job in my field. I have always wanted to focus more on my business so I feel like i'm not quitting to work at starbucks (which is not a bad company to work for anyway).

I am looking for some advice, things to consider maybe I haven't, words of encouragement, caution, etc. Does anyone have a similar story?

#2 ·
I just wanted to say good luck! That sounds wonderful. Stress is really damaging to our bodies, I have diabetes because of it from the stress I had this last year. I hope your business really takes off, when I get pregnant again next year and after the baby comes I'm planning to stay home and do my farm thing and figure out how I can make money selling raw milk, eggs, and veggie starts. I don't have enough room to grow a lot of produce for farmers' market, but I think starting small I will do ok.

What kind of craft business is it?

, you can do it!

#6 ·
Good luck with the crafts business! If it's already in the second year and doing pretty good, maybe soon it will make enough money so you can have the same income you had before and more time for yourself and less stress.
It's just not worth it staying in a job that puts you under pressure and makes you anxious. Life is to short to be spent like this!
So good luck and keep us posted with how are things going!

#8 ·
Whenever i think about making a big life change, i imagine I'm on my death bed late in life. I ask myself what i wish I'd done. Option a or b? Which will matter most to me when i look back on my life? Most people certainly don't wish they'd spend more time in a job they hate.

Think of all the entrepreneurs throughout history. Most started out modestly and took a risk. Im very well educated, and quit my job to raise my kids. Career centered people don't usually understand "throwing your education away" to raise a family,much like i don't understand career centered people who let daycares raise their kids. Point being,neither is right or wrong. What works for one,doesn't for the other and that's ok. So,you do what works for you and your family. Take a risk, if it doesn't work out,you can find another ft job. Just figure out your budget before you take the plunge.

My biggest regret...wishing I quit the job i hated many years before i did because now i know what i was missing for all those years.

Best of luck :)

#9 ·
I worked in the restaurant industry for over 10 years, since I was in highschool. I had my son and still worked nights, which was ok because I still spent the whole day with him but I still missed nights and dinner time with him. Then I had my daughter and it was too hard working like that and not spending time with them, especially because my oldest started school and I never saw him anymore. So I decided to stay home and work from home and it's awesome! I wish I had done this soooo many years ago, I can do whatever I want, see my kids when I want and not worry about babysitters, requesting time off, etc. Congrats, you're going to love it! :grin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.