• 1 Post By nsmomtobe
  • 1 Post By LilyTiger
  • 1 Post By Melinda1980
  • 2 Post By happyday8598

#1 of 7 Old 05-07-2014, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have 1 son who was born perfectly fine, normal pregnancy, nothing wrong.  He was 9 mo old when I got pregnant again.  I lost our baby when I was 10 weeks.  I'm just wondering if anyone knows if the chances of a mc go up after the first one.  We have no idea what the cause of it was.  :(  

Thanks for your help.

#2 of 7 Old 05-08-2014, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My second pregnancy ended in miscarriage.  The doctor told me to wait 3 months before trying again as the chance of miscarriage in that period is higher.  I have no idea if that is factual or not, however. In any event, I had an uneventful third pregnancy.  Best wishes to you.

#3 of 7 Old 05-12-2014, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I'm really sorry about your loss …. hugs.

I lost the baby at 12 weeks and 2 days.  I've been told I can start trying whenever I want to - by regular gynecologists.  However, that doesn't make sense to me.  How can a body recover within a month from three months' pregnancy?  Maybe from a one month's pregnancy - I can see that - but not from 12 weeks of pregnancy.  I really think there is a humongous difference between a miscarriage that happened at 5 weeks and a miscarriage that happened at nearly 13 weeks.  It might be just a few weeks, but the amount of nutrients needed to build the placenta and all that happens during that time is really big compared to what happens in just 5 weeks … This is really just me thinking out loud …  But you know where I'm going with this ...

Plus we're all individuals as well. Some of us are more healthy and have healthier lifestyles than others.  Then there's conditions - known and hidden - so I really think it varies greatly how long one should give her body to recover.

In my case, I think 3 months is a bare minimum.  I have yet to get my first period after my D&C, but I'll wait until at least two more cycles after that (I'm praying to get my period soon, it's been exactly 4 weeks since my D&C).

I've consulted also a Chinese medicine doctor (acupuncturist) and according to TCM, one should wait 6 months, 3 months being a bare minimum before trying to conceive and according to what I read, ayurveda also recommends 3 months' waiting time.

Either way, it's ultimately up to you and your unique situation and how you feel …  Good luck and some more hugs.

Proud mommy to our stellar Stella (3/2011). Cautiously expecting our in April 2015 after loosing a sweet little angel in April 2014.
#4 of 7 Old 05-21-2014, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I am sorry for your loss. Apparently your chances of loss after one miscarriage is no different from the usual chance of loss (approximately 30% with each pregnancy). Miscarriage is so common it happens to 1 in 3 women by chance (and it happens twice by chance to 1 in 9 women, according to my OB, but happening 3x is a lot less common). Despite the warnings to wait a certain number of cycles to try again, I have not seen any evidence that it is necessary and I even saw a study once that showed women are less likely to miscarry a baby conceived within 6 months of a miscarriage than a baby conceived more than 6 months after a miscarriage. 

laylasmommy2011 likes this.

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#5 of 7 Old 06-16-2014, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
My midwife told me after my loss at 10 weeks that there's no reason not to start trying again immediately and that our risk wasn't any higher after a single loss. We waited one month, got pregnant that cycle, and I'm now 15 weeks along with a healthy bean. Most single miscarriages are caused by chromosomal abnormalities in the embryo. It's nature's way of saying that baby isn't healthy enough to make it. I'm so sorry for your loss, but it sounds to me like you could start trying again right away and that you have an excellent chance for a healthy and happy third pregnancy. Best of luck.
happyday8598 likes this.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#6 of 7 Old 06-17-2014, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
So sorry for your loss.

I just found out my first loss on Thursday at 9.5 weeks and had the d&c yesterday. This would have been my 3rd baby. My OB said to give it one full cycle then I can try again. He said that at my age (34) the chances of miscarriage are 1 in 5 and that will be the same for every pregnancy, regardless of past losses. So this time my changes of mc were 1/5 and next time they will still be 1/5.

Now that this has happened to me I've found out that a lot of my friends have also miscarried and went on to conceive and have normal, healthy pregnancies immediately after. So that is reassuring for me and hopefully will be for you as well. I wish you luck!
happyday8598 likes this.
#7 of 7 Old 06-17-2014, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I have nothing to add, believing that the chances of miscarriage are the same after the first (unless there's an actual physical reason behind a body not being able to carry babies to term, not as common as a healthy uterus), but I thank you all for the words in your responses. I was so humbled of my human nature after my miscarriage. It's reassuring to hear of others carrying to term so soon after a miscarriage.
I've begun to think of my miscarriage as my body preheating the oven for a nice, healthy bake of gooey goodness.
My midwife mentioned to me last time that lots of women miscarry their first pregnancy after a long bout between. It's our bodies way of priming the uterus for an even stronger viable pregnancy.
Here's to healthiness and strength to all of us who are or will be pregnant after having our miscarriage(s).
dreamingtree and starsmagick like this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page