IDSO: Flexible feeding cup or finger feeding system - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-20-2005, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need one of the flexible feeding cups for a friend that is due in May. Her husband is refusing to not give bottles starting from the minute the baby is born. He says using a medicine spoon is going to take too long. I told her about these cups and he said he would use it, so now I need one. :LOL Anybody have one?
I also would like to get her a finger feeding system as well for the same reason. I can't afford to buy her one new so I'm hoping there are some good deals on here.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 04-20-2005, 11:10 PM

You mean this woman's dh wants her to pump from the minute baby is born so he can bottle-feed??? Why create problems? Could she have him talk to a lactation consultant to talk sense into him? This sounds nuts....

All you need for finger feeding is a syringe with a curved tip - maybe there's a technical name for it but I don't know it. You don't have to buy the finger feeder setup. A little cup with a soft rim will also do fine for cup feeding.

But still, if it ain't broke....I know you're trying to help but this man sounds like he needs an intervention! Maybe if his wife forces him to do all the midnight to 5 am feeds, he'll get a grip....

ETA: the Ameda cup is only $1.70 here: http://www.birthandbabyorders.com/index.php?p=2

The same site also has the Medela cups and another type as well, for pretty cheap: http://www.birthandbaby.com/shop/cat...tegory30.shtml

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#3 of 13 Old 04-21-2005, 12:11 AM

I also don't get why they'd do this. If the husband is the problem he needs to be told to stick it.

just my $.02

-Angela
#4 of 13 Old 04-21-2005, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
I also don't get why they'd do this. If the husband is the problem he needs to be told to stick it.

just my $.02

-Angela
I agree. He wants her to start pumping as soon as the baby is born so he can start feeding her when she is a couple weeks old. The only thing I'm worried about is that he wants to do a lot of the feedings and I think that her milk supply will be affected and I think the baby will decide it's too easy to drink from a bottle. I wouldn't be worried if it was only going to be a once a week thing or so, but he wants to feed her like half the day. Stupid man. He also told her that she's not allowed to do cloth diapers in public because he doesn't want to have to carry them around.

#5 of 13 Old 04-21-2005, 04:43 PM

I would have your friend tell her hubby that he is ILL informed, and that unless HE can produce milk from his body, then she will have to feed the baby, for a good long while. Due to previous breast surgery (I had a lump) I had low supply and had to supplement from the beginning, I can tell you FOR SURE to stay away from the bottle if at all possible. And, what is that with the CD stuff? WHo the heck is going to be looking in their diaper bag? He sounds totally anti-AP...

I wish your friend the best, and I hope they get a GREAT lactation consultant that will set him straight!
#6 of 13 Old 04-21-2005, 05:10 PM

Is this mom going to listen to her husband? Sounds like he needs some serious education. (or a big dose of IGNORE)

Is he gonna come pump if she doesn't care to?

bah. he's got issues.

-Angela
#7 of 13 Old 04-21-2005, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesternmomma
I would have your friend tell her hubby that he is ILL informed, and that unless HE can produce milk from his body, then she will have to feed the baby, for a good long while. Due to previous breast surgery (I had a lump) I had low supply and had to supplement from the beginning, I can tell you FOR SURE to stay away from the bottle if at all possible. And, what is that with the CD stuff? WHo the heck is going to be looking in their diaper bag? He sounds totally anti-AP...

I wish your friend the best, and I hope they get a GREAT lactation consultant that will set him straight!
I already have a LC just waiting until the baby is born...

#8 of 13 Old 04-21-2005, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Is this mom going to listen to her husband? Sounds like he needs some serious education. (or a big dose of IGNORE)

Is he gonna come pump if she doesn't care to?

bah. he's got issues.

-Angela
We are getting together next wednesday with them and dh is going to have a man to man talk with him. He was all for no bottles and all cloth diapers until he found out how old I am. He's one of those jerks that won't take advice from anyone younger than him. She doesn't even have a pump yet and I know she's not planning on getting a good one. The good thing is though is that I'm going to be the one watching her dd when she goes back to work (at 6 months pp) and we're close friends so I can show her how to keep her supply up. Stupid men...

#9 of 13 Old 04-21-2005, 06:00 PM

I don't know if I should pat your dh on the back for talking to this dork or bonk him for only listening since you're older than he is... :LOL

good luck! I get so frustrated when people are pointedly uneducated on these things.

-Angela
#10 of 13 Old 04-21-2005, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't know if I should pat your dh on the back for talking to this dork or bonk him for only listening since you're older than he is... :LOL

good luck! I get so frustrated when people are pointedly uneducated on these things.

-Angela
I'm so confused. I've tried reading this post over and over to get it to make sense, but it just doesn't. :LOL Do you mean that my dh is only listening to me cause I'm older than him? If so, it isn't true. He's 4 years older than me.

#11 of 13 Old 04-21-2005, 10:31 PM

If it were me, I would have the LC talk to the dh BEFORE the baby is born. The last thing an exhausted, sleep-deprived, hormonal mama needs is to deal with an emotional issue like that that is obviously all about power and control when there's a tiny baby in the house!

Again, I would make sure that if this bozo wants to feed the baby, he gets all the midnight to 4 am feedings. That oughta learn him....

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#12 of 13 Old 04-22-2005, 12:13 AM

Doesn't he work? Maybe he needs to be told, sure hon... come feed the baby, you get between 9:00am and noon... can't be there? Oh well.. tough! Guess you miss your turn!
#13 of 13 Old 04-22-2005, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
I'm so confused. I've tried reading this post over and over to get it to make sense, but it just doesn't. :LOL Do you mean that my dh is only listening to me cause I'm older than him? If so, it isn't true. He's 4 years older than me.

I think I mis-read and thought what you were saying about her husband was yours... : sorry! That's what I get for trying to NAK

-Angela

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page