Breastfeeding toddler on Qatar Airways? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-05-2011, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just wondering if anyone has experience with breastfeeding on Qatar Air, especially bfing a toddler. (I did not think of this before we bought our tickets!)

I am waiting for an email from them about their "official policy" on breastfeeding, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experiences with it.

My toddler is on the small side for her 16 months, and she breastfeeds often. I don't use a nursing cover but I don't have to show much skin to get her latched. I've tried to get "private" seats in the back of the plane.

Thanks for any experiences you can share!

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#2 of 11 Old 01-05-2011, 02:17 PM

My friend who lives there says just be who are.  

#3 of 11 Old 01-06-2011, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamama View Post

My friend who lives there says just be who are.  

I am who I am, and I would like to know whether anyone has any experience on Qatar Airways. The American Qatar Airways customer service agent suggested I might be expected to bf in the bathroom, which I will not do (yuck!). I'm pretty sure he didn't know what he was talking about and that, as an American, he was just making ignorant assumptions about a Middle East-based airline's policies.

Oh well. I'll post my experiences here after the fact in case anyone else does a search some day. :)

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#4 of 11 Old 01-06-2011, 10:04 AM

It's an Islamic right of the child to breastfeed until 2, so I can't see this will be a problem.

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#5 of 11 Old 01-07-2011, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~bookcase~ View Post

It's an Islamic right of the child to breastfeed until 2, so I can't see this will be a problem.

I wish people always lived up to the stated recommendations and ideals of their faiths, but it is so often not the case! I think the key to peaceful flights for breastfeeding duos is thoughtful policies and well-briefed flight staff. Or maybe just good luck sometimes. :)

#6 of 11 Old 01-12-2011, 08:53 AM

I hope you get fantastic flight attendants!

I have no experience with Qatar, but have flown with a bfing toddler (2 different kiddos) on two Royal Air Maroc flights, almost 3 years apart. Not only did I not get any trouble, but flight attendants were very thoughtful with bottles of water for me. Both babes were about 18 months old at the time.

#7 of 11 Old 01-24-2011, 05:43 PM

I recently saw an ad for Qatar airlines on ESPN. Qatar (and Doha) are doing a lot to position themselves as Western/West-friendly lately. Personally, I doubt you will encounter any problems from the airlines themselves. If there is a strange man nearby who sees, and is Muslim, that may be awkward, but I think it sounds like you're not going to be hanging out of your shirt. LOL.

Mothering my sweet preschool boy luxlove.gif and my new arrival bfinfant.gif

#8 of 11 Old 07-15-2011, 11:58 PM

Hi!

You must have traveled by now, but I just saw this thread and thought of posting my own experience flying with Qatar airways. My daughter was 5 months old at the time (3 months ago) and nobody even looked at us when I breastfed her. Even though I had a nursing cover with me, I didn't feel the need to use it. I doubt anyone will say anything.

Let us know about your experience!

#9 of 11 Old 07-16-2011, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, thanks for reminding me to update. I had no issues whatsoever in constantly breastfeeding a 15 month old on Qatar Air. Actually, most of the passengers were Indian. Our seatmate was from Afghanistan and very friendly and totally unconcerned with our breastfeeding patterns. The flight attendants didn't care, either. So, yay! No big deal!

The only challenge was that even though we bought our tickets well in advance, we weren't automatically seated next to each other on one of our flights, so that led to a bit of stress. (I have had this problem on other airlines in the past couple of years, too.) Whle in Lebanon, it was exceedingly hard to get in touch with Qatar Air. We even went to their office and were told to call a different number which was never answered. So if you are in the US, try to get your seat assignments well before your trip, just in case it is possible.

#10 of 11 Old 07-16-2011, 10:33 PM

Good to know it went smoothly. I didn't think breastfeeding would be a concern with any airlines. I did call ahead of time to get the seats with the bassinets so that our trip would be more comfortable but we were told we had to go to the airport a bit earlier on the day of our travel to get them. We were also given different seats but asked a passenger to switch with one of us so we could sit together.. all in all it was a good trip, as good as a 14 hour trip could be! 

#11 of 11 Old 07-11-2012, 03:32 AM

Hi parents..

Well I just saw this thread and I had to tell you this story my mom once told me...

My 9 months baby doesnt bf so I never face this problem travelling bet Iran and Lebanon (Im a lebanese living in Iran)

But my mom sure did have some trouble bfing on saudi airlines... The funny thing is that the trouble wasn't from the passengers or the attendants at all!!!

the trouble was caused by my 18 months old baby sister who just loved to bf from one side....and that side happened to be the isle side..

Now my smart baby sister had to object being offered the breast that she didnt like and started screaming,"I want the other pai!!!!! I want the our pair!!!"" to my poor mother's shock

For the passengers that was surely funny, but not for my mom who as so embarrased she decided my sister was old enough to be weaned..

I just thought the story was related to the subject... what would you do in such a predicament.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page