Israel - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 1780 Old 01-23-2007, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon7799 View Post

For me, to make a truly informed decisions means knowing what I want, and then investigating all of the potential options. I understand that the Birth Center at Tel Hashomer is in the hospital, and that there are no independent birth centers in Israel, so hubby and I will have to decide if we can get the experience we want there or not. We will go there next week to have a look.

I think it's hard here because there are lack of options. I also think that we as health care consumers should demand more options to meet the diverse needs of all women in all of the communities here.

couldn't agree more! Wanna start a birth center w/ me? It can be Arabs and Jews joining together for REAL birth options.

Actually, I think the only way to peace is w/ cloth pads or birthing centers/other female alternative options. Incidentialy, this is also my plan to get women to rule the world.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#302 of 1780 Old 01-24-2007, 04:37 AM

Count me in! I have talked to a Palestinian midwife in Jerusalem about this very topic - the first truly independent (out-of-hospital) family-centered natural childbirth center run by midwives! We especially want to start a childbirth revolution in the Palestinian community - so many providers and clients consider childbirth as a huge medical crisis. A very tiny percentage of Arab women actually read about pregnancy and childbirth, let alone take a childbirth preparation class.

I think there is already a big demand - the fact that Tel Hashomer set up this "natural birth center" (ok, so we aren't sure how natural it is, and it's located in the hospital) is a sign that even institutions have to respond to what women want. In my opinion, education of providers and clients is the key to really effective change. This forum is also clearly part of the revolution - let's keep it up!
#303 of 1780 Old 01-24-2007, 05:04 AM

lol. It's NOT just Palestianian or Arab women. I am SHOCKED and appauled by the total lack of knowledge in the Israeli Jewish community...actually, everywhere !

so sad.

#304 of 1780 Old 02-03-2007, 05:56 PM

Anyone know the city Zichron Yaakov? My mom's college roommate lives there. She went to MSU and has nine kids.
#305 of 1780 Old 02-04-2007, 03:30 PM

yea, we all know it. Any particular reason or just checking community?

#306 of 1780 Old 02-04-2007, 07:04 PM

We were there last week. My cousin lives on a moshav sort of next door. Lovely town. We ate at the most family-friendly restaurant in the universe. In other words, my kids behaved horribly (yeah, my cousin's kids egged 'em on ) and no one complained at all.

But seriously. It looks like a nice place. Up on a hill. Wineries nearby. On the road to Tzfat. What's not to like?
#307 of 1780 Old 02-07-2007, 08:57 AM

Please note this is a copy-paste from the galilienoticeboard yahoo group. I thought some of you might be into it...I think I'll be there...

Sarahfina

"We are most fortunate to have a return visit from Yonit Crystal, permaculturist,
wild food expert, natural crafts artisan and healing arts educator. Wednesday,
Februrary 21, Yonit will lead a workshop on Cooking from Nature. We will
collect edible wild plants nearby & prepare a delicious and nutritious meal from
Nature’s bounty. Enjoy hands-on cooking demonstration and eat the results!
Yonit is an engaging teacher who pulls together ecology, nature, nutrition,
traditional practices and religious sources. This class received rave reviews
last year. Here is a another chance. Class will be in Hebrew and/or English as
needed.

50 NIS. Wednesday February 21, 9:45 – 13:00. Registration required by Feb 16.
Class will only happen if enough participants pre-register.

Center for Healthy Living in Tzfat
Tet Vav #78, Artists' Quarter, Tzfat
04-6923535/ 0547-338388
#308 of 1780 Old 02-12-2007, 06:43 AM

Just wanted to let everyone know that we visited the Tel Hashomer birth center last week and if anyone is interested in hearing our impressions feel free to pm me.
#309 of 1780 Old 02-12-2007, 06:52 AM

Can we try to compile a comprehensive list of the resources in Israel for buying and using cloth diapers (stores by cities/regions, distributors, websites, etc.)?

This would help people (like me!) who are interested in using cloth diapers but have no idea where to start!

#310 of 1780 Old 02-12-2007, 07:13 AM

first of all, post your impressions for all to see!

Secondly, about cloth diapers...there is a website (all in Hebrew) which has this on there. "beoventv", I believe it's called. Of course, this doesn't help the English speakers or the "Hebrew Challenged".

#311 of 1780 Old 02-15-2007, 02:22 AM

Just read this whole thread. ( Kids are asleep so relaxing time for me!)
Anyways, I plan on making aliyah at some point just not sure when. I throughly enjoyed the stories though and just wanted to introduce myself!
:

Suzanna
#312 of 1780 Old 02-15-2007, 02:42 AM

Join us over at the Jewish Mama's tribe. Be forewarned - we're a chatty bunch.
#313 of 1780 Old 02-15-2007, 04:36 AM

Suzanna, good luck!

anon7799, this comprehensive list would be very short. There are 3 importers, who import ME, Kushies, HH and Bummis. That's about it. There's also someone who makes prefitteds or something like that, and one person who sews her own, but only by custom order.

All of the info is on the beofen-tv website, which has been down for the past few days, but the website is all in Hebrew anyway.
I've found it never really paid to buy Cloth diapers here. I don't like the kinds they have here, and the ones they do have are really expensive. If you have someone coming from the States it's ususally cheaper.
#314 of 1780 Old 02-15-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Can we try to compile a comprehensive list of the resources in Israel for buying and using cloth diapers (stores by cities/regions, distributors, websites, etc.)?

This would help people (like me!) who are interested in using cloth diapers but have no idea where to start!

I know of one site. They sell motherease www.b-shvilenu.co.il
And also this: http://www.derech.net/diapers2.htm

How is your hebrew anon?

Who knows about having dipes shipped from sellers in the canada/ europe/ the US? Any experience? I only ordered from one place, countrycuttins, Dina was a pleasure to work with.

What was the muslimma owned site that ppl. were happy with? Who also made nice pads?

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#315 of 1780 Old 02-16-2007, 04:07 AM

I know everyone seems to rave about Amazpads http://www.amazpadz.com/
I don't know if that's who you're referring to.

I've ordered from Nickis diapers without a problem, and had them shipped here. I also ordered GAD's and BG's (not from cottonbabies though) and they were shipped here. Keep in mind not to order over $50 (I think) or you'll get charged Meches, not fun.
You have to compare prices, because Britain is so expensive, it might not help that the shipping can be cheaper. I've found that ordering from the States always made more sense to me.

Other sites in Israel are http://www.chitulim.com who sells Kushies. Dahlia sells HH and Bummis, but doesn't have a website.
#316 of 1780 Old 02-16-2007, 06:26 AM

yep, it's Amaz (her name is Janet, and she was lovely to work with and ship to israel), but she doesnt make diapers.

Bracha v'hatslacha, bb

#317 of 1780 Old 02-17-2007, 07:07 AM

...for the good tips on cloth diaper info in Israel. My Hebrew isn't very functional (just started Aleph + ulpan classes! , but I could get some help from friends with the website mentioned. Seems our best bet is to get family and friends to bring cloth diapers & related paraphenalia when they visit from the States.

I will write a post on my impressions of Tel Hashomer's Birth Center in a few days.
#318 of 1780 Old 03-01-2007, 03:37 PM

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've lived in Israel for >10 years, and gave birth to DS at Asaf HaRofeh hospital 3 years ago. I'm interested in hearing impressions from other Israeli moms about various Israeli hospitals, especially in the central region.

I was interested in a home birth, but DH was so set against it that in the end we went with a conventional hospital. I took tours of Tel HaShomer, Lis (Ichilov), Kaplan, and Asaf HaRofeh 3 years ago, but things change with time...

Anyhow, hi to everyone, and Hag Purim Sameach!
#319 of 1780 Old 03-01-2007, 05:52 PM

my dh was the same way...

Find a GREAT midwife and let dh ask all the questions. Go to the hb forum and get all the info you need about how hb is safer and so forth (the recent British Government study comes to mind).

That is the BEST way to have the birth you want here in Israel.

And once you have a hb...you never go back.

#320 of 1780 Old 03-03-2007, 06:52 AM

Hi All,

Finally, my impressions on the Tel Hashomer Birth Center. Sue-bert welcome to the forum and I hope this information is of use to you since you asked about Israeli hospitals. Before I start I just want to make clear that the following are my personal impressions only and are not to be taken as an endorsement of or discouragement against the birth center.

Tel Hashomer Birth Center is a private birth center located inside the hospital. It's right across from the normal L&D ward. It's run by a group of 8 midwives who all work at the hospital, but who came together to start this center with the idea to give women a natural birth option in the hospital. I don't know how long ago it was established but it seems rather new.

As I mentioned it is a private service, you have to pay for it. The current fee is about 4,300 NIS. Also you will be charged the regular hospital fee of about 8,000 NIS but this is covered by the National Insurance. There are 2 rooms in the center. They are both pretty large with plenty of space to move around in, are decorated with a home-like atmosphere in mind, contain a large bathtub for laboring (but not the triangular shaped tubs like the midwives wanted - apparently the engineers planned without consulting them so while laboring in the water is fine, there isn't so much room and thus no one has had a true water-birth in the center yet - not easy to manuever in during pushing and delivery). There is a rope hanging from the ceiling and a double bed. Next to the bed is a work station with a chair, table and computer. There is also a small kitchenette with sink, refridge and microwave (as I remember) and a sitting area for relatives and friends. There is a curtain dividing the sitting area from the rest of the room so you could have visual (but not audible) privacy from your invited guests if so desired. They have all the gadgets (birth balls, stools, etc.). There is a warmer for the infant if necessary, water-proof wireless fetal monitor which can be worn in the tub and portable oxygen if needed (so you can light candles in the room). There is also a CD/cassette/radio player.

Of the 8 midwives who run the center, 2 are American, 2 are Israelis who spent a significant time in the US, and the rest are Israelis (I assume native born but I didn't ask about other nationalities). When you sign up for the birth center service you get 2 visits to to meet all of the midwives, go over your history and talk about how the pregnancy is going as well as develop the birth plan together. The midwives work on a shift-basis so you could get any one of the 8 at your birth though you would have met all before you birth. It doesn't seem that you can decide to have one midwife attend you over the other, mainly because they all have other responsibilities in the hospital and so arrange their on call schedule according to their other jobs. According to Debby, the midwife who showed us the center, there aren't a lot of policies of the center, so a lot is possible (eating and drinking during labor ok, you can have as many people there as you want, wear your own clothes, lots of position changes and support techniques used and pain medications not encouraged). Midwife stays with you throughout the birth offering support. After birth skin-to-skin contact is the norm, as is early breastfeeding, and Debby said they usually delay weighing and infant checkup for a while so parents can bond with baby. Following the birth the mom stays in the center for 4-6 hours, assessment of the newborn is done by a pediatrician bed-side, and then mom and baby are shifted to the postpartum unit of the regular hospital. Rooming-in is a possibility over there and the stay is 2 nights or 3 days as I recall. They also have a postpartum hotel (I didn't look at that) in which the partner can stay with mom (I think) in the private rooms. Of course there is an extra charge for that as it's a private service, and Debby said also that the nurses don't make as frequent rounds there so mom and family are pretty much on their own (which could be good or bad, depending on kind of support needed, especially breastfeeding support).

I asked a lot of questions and here are some of the answers: they didn't have their stats printed out for me to take, but that might be because of a language issue as they said there wasn't a lot of information printed in English. I know they have a website in Hebrew and hopefully you could find some hard stats on there (see earlier post for web site address). However, verbally Debby said that their C/S rate is about 8%, about 20% of first time moms are transfered to the regular L&D ward for special circumstances (a problem) and episiotomy rate was 1 out of the nearly 200 births they've done there so far. Anything that involves an intervention (pitocin, pain meds, etc.) it seems they transfer to the regular L&D ward which is right across the hall. The use intermittent fetal monitoring with the wireless, water-proof one which can be used in the tub. Not sure exactly what "intermittent" means to them. The midwife said they do internal exams about every 2 hours though maybe you could request that they not do that.

Now to my impressions, both good and bad. On the positive side I think the center offers a comfortable atmosphere in terms of the look of the place, the seemingly easy-going attitude they have (though I only met one midwife and who knows about the rest). The childbirth educator at YMCA in Jerusalem actually recommended that we check it out because she said "it seems like it could offer you what you want, but it's expensive." I think that by and large, she's right. I got the impression that you definitely have a greater measure of control over your experience in the birth center than you would in the regular L&D ward. The midwives and the center seem to have a philosophy towards birth that is low on intervention, high on one-on-one contact and support. They appear to know about non-medical support techniques, though I didn't think they had knowledge of herbs and certainly didn't use them during births. Regarding the not so positive impressions - hubby and I a bit confused as to how the center fits into the overall structure of the hospital. It's like they are trying to be separate, but not. There is a lot of overlap with the hospital (staff-wise, considering all of the midwives are also employed by the hospital, billing wise, and the fact that you are transfered to the hospital's postpartum unit after birth). We felt a bit overwhelmed and unclear about that, but this could be partially due to the fact that Tel Hashomer is a big hospital and handles 900 deliveries per month so there were a lot of people in the corridors and in the area (though not when we went through the doors of the center). It was sometimes hard to feel the separateness of the birth center, and at other times it felt like it was separate so why did they have to have all of these strange overlaps with the hospital? Of course one of my major concerns is that it IS in a hospital so people uncomfortable with institutions will have issues with that. The other issue was cost - we felt like it was a lot of money for a service we believe should be the standard in all hospitals, and also because my residency application is still being processed it's not clear if I will get the national insurance to cover the regular hospital charge which means the birth for us could be extremely costly. I felt a bit uncomfortable with how the midwife kept bringing up the issue of fetal monitoring, but to be fair I am kind of sensitive to this subject. They seem proud of the machine they have which allows monitoring to take place while mom is mobile and/or in the tub (is this not a normal thing for hospitals in Israel to have?), but I would need to clarify the frequency with which they monitor and know if I could exercise my right to refuse this (including vaginal exams) to feel better about the issue. Perhaps this is something one could discuss during the meetings before the birth and during the birth plan preparation. Another thing was the issue of who attends you at birth. Yes you get to meet the 8 midwives who run the center, but you can't choose who you want at your birth. I don't like surprises for these things and would like to know exactly who I am getting (for better or worse! at least I could prepare!).

Overall I think it's a pretty good option for someone who wants a low-intervention hospital birth and who's prepared to pay for it. I wouldn't consider it a free-standing birth center of the type you see in the US or Europe. Still, from what I hear on this list of the typical birth experience in Israeli hospitals, it's a big improvement and is maybe the transitional step in between hospitals and free-standing birth centers. In any case I have to applaud the midwives who started it for at least trying this and I support their efforts but the only dissapointing thing is that such a philosophy and shouldn't be seen as a special private thing, it should be pushed as the norm in all hospitals.

Hubby and I are still undecided about where to birth. Tel Hashomer is a bit far for us (we live in Jerusalem) but it could still be an option. I dream of a homebirth, but we need to find the right midwife, and also one who isn't uncomfortable traveling to our Palestinian neighborhood in East Jerusalem. I also need to discuss with my OB if he would be willing to see us in the hospital afterwards and fill out the necessary paperwork (a big issue for us). If all else fails I know a midwife who works at Al Maqassed hospital in East Jerusalem who is happy to personally attend me there. The big problem with that hospital is the physical space (horrible tiny rooms with small beds and depressing look, only 2 bathrooms on the entire L&D floor and some questions about cleanliness). But the big plus is that the more I get to know her the more I know that she and I share the same philosophy about birth. Unfortunately she doesn't do homebirths! I don't think there is one perfect place, we have to try and balance all of the concerns. I feel somewhat at a loss especially trying to convince my husband and his family that everything will be ok at a homebirth. And I feel this sense of pressure that if we do choose homebirth, it better work out or else I will feel like a failure and their sense of birth as a medical event needing hospitalization will be reinforced, not to mention this recurring feeling that it won't be easy to register the birth at the Ministry of Interior in East Jerusalem (they are HORRIBLE and NASTY and cause so much suffering to Palestinian Jerusalemites).

Anyhow, that's my 2c. I would be happy to give more information to anyone who wants, as well as the email address of the midwife I met with at Tel Hashomer (she's American).

-Stephanie
#321 of 1780 Old 03-03-2007, 07:03 AM

Hi Sue-bert, Just wanted to ask you to share your birth experience. I think it's always helpful to see these on the forum and I got a lot out of people's previous posts on their (or friends') experiences.

Now onto another subject - ultrasound. We did our 20 week u/s on Thursday, it was the 3D/4D kind. It was necessary for us (thankfully everything is fine) and while I don't regret doing it, I have some concerns (and feelings of guilt) that the baby felt pain from it. Everytime the doctor moved the transducer over my abdomen, baby was moving a LOT (so much even the doctor commented on it) and kept moving its face away and covering its eyes and whole face. It looked like the baby was playing peek-a-boo, but I felt it was a response to pain. Honestly, of the three photos the doc took, the baby is completely covering its face in one, half of its face in the other and about a fourth of its face in the last one and that's only because the doctor snapped the photo just as it moved to the side (so even the photo is blurry). I think maybe all the movement was due to the pressure on my uterus from the wand, but what about shielding the face? I don't want another U/S because it just looked like the baby was so uncomfortable with it. (anyhow my doctor isn't of the type to overdue U/S so I don't expect he will object).

Did this ever happen to anyone else?
#322 of 1780 Old 03-04-2007, 09:26 AM

Hey everyone!
Well, I'm not back in Israel, just back online.
After 2 1/2 months on a beach in Thailand at the rainbow gathering, then a short travel, we are slightly settled in Sihanoukville, Cambodia.
Preparing to attend the birth of some friends.
I realised that I'm really not getting back to the middle east unless someone is having a baby and really wants me to attend their birth.
so if anyone really misses me that much, I'm just a phone call and 9 months away
anyway, I hope to be online a bit more now, tho we dont have internet at home.
I just miss you all soooooo MUCH!

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#323 of 1780 Old 03-04-2007, 01:59 PM

Miss you too! I heart you!!!

As for the Yerushaliem office (in response to Anon), they make life misrable for EVERYONE. Of course Palestianians are no acception...but I can assure you that Jews are treated just as terribly over there and are just as inconviencienced. It's pretty much common knowledge not to go there, unless you can't avoid it.

I did pm you with my midwife's info. She would be able to help you find someone who would be comfortable travling to your neck of the woods.

As for homebirth, hit your in-laws up with the research from the British Govt. about how it is safer to birth at home than in a hospital in a low risk pregnancy.

Also, re: ultrasound, yeah, totally. I think it DOES bother kids. BOth my kids seemed really upset about it. It's okay to avoid. You are in charge here, not the doc. If you say no, then you won't have another. They can't force you to do anything.

Did you learn the gender (not that it matters, but for some, like me, it's way fun to know)?

#324 of 1780 Old 03-05-2007, 03:49 AM

Hi Riv,

Yes, the Ministry of Interior is horrible to everyone. Palestinians have their own branch in East Jerusalem, no Israelis there, so it's sort of like open season. I've seen a Ministry employee rip up someone's ID once because they said the person couldn't prove they resided in Jerusalem so -poof- there goes your status, insurance, right to live in the city of your birth, etc. Very very bad. If anyone wants to make a ton of money in East Jerusalem, I would advise becoming a lawyer and taking Palestinians' ID status cases! Anyway, did everything go ok registering your baby's birth?

Funny story about learning of the baby's gender during the ultrasound. We told our doctor we didn't want to know, so when he took us to the technician, he told her right away that this couple doesn't want to know the sex of the baby. Unfortunately she went right to the full-on genitals view and blurted out "don't worry - it's a boy!" The doctor was like "why did you tell them?" and she said "why wouldn't they want to know?" as if this is the oddest request she's ever heard! I think she thought we were worried we'd get a girl, which is actually what we wanted. My husband was so depressed the rest of the day, but now he's better and is getting used to the idea of having a son. For my part I hope she is as inept at determining the gender as she is at following directions!

I planned on calling your midwife today so I'll see what she says.

Best,
Stephanie
#325 of 1780 Old 03-06-2007, 08:23 AM

Hello everyone,
Thanks for all the warm welcomes! This seems like a nice forum. I'm glad I found you all.

Quote:
Hi Sue-bert, Just wanted to ask you to share your birth experience. I think it's always helpful to see these on the forum and I got a lot out of people's previous posts on their (or friends') experiences.
If it will be of use to anyone here, then I'll be happy to share. Medically, it's not that interesting, but from a sociological point-of-view, I found it fascinating. Here goes:

I woke up feeling like I had a mentrual cramp, but didn't think anything of it until I noticed that the cramps lasted for ~1 minute and were spaced at intervals of about 5 minutes. Very soon they became stronger and different from menstrual cramps, so I thought "this is it!" Oh, did I mention that it was my due date?

I really wanted to labor at home as much as possible, but our cleaning lady was coming and she uses TONS of bleach and I didn't want to inhale Economica fumes while laboring, so, figuring we could still beat the rush hour traffic, we headed off the Asaf HaRofeh (~15-20 min. drive). We arrived at ~7:15am, they checked me out, and told me I was 6cm dilated and admitted me to L&D.

I was introduced to my midwife, and I told her straight away that I wanted a non-medicated birth, and I wanted to keep my perinium intact, and I wanted to make sure she was on-board with this. She agreed. Two other young women came into the room w/out introducing themselves, so I asked "hello, who are you?" They were a student nurse and a student doctor who were very interested in observing a natural birth. I wold have appreciated being asked first, but I had no objections, so I let them stay.

Then I went down the hall to labor in the shower (since then, I understand the ward has undergone a shiputz and now all the L&D rooms have en-suite showers). I was told to come out when it started to hurt. So I labored there for a couple of hours, feeling guilty about all the water I was using. The student nurse came to check on me a few times, and finally at around 10:30am I told her it was starting to hurt, so she accompanied me as I returned to the L&D room to reuinte with my worried and bored husband.

Transition time. Not fun. They gave me a birth ball that was too big for me (I'm 5'2" on a good day) and I kept rolling off of it, so DH went to the car to get my own smaller one. I felt miserable. I threw up my morning bran flakes. The contractions weren't discrete, separate contractions; rather, it was just one big squeeze. The midwife came in and stared to talking to me like I was a kindergartener.

(I am translating; the converstaions were in Hebrew).

"Suzy-woozy! Hop up on the table-wable so I can check you." My husband and I stared at each other in disbelief. "Um, my name is Susan, and I'm in the middle of a rather painful contraction now, can you wait a minute until it passes?" "Are you afraidy-waidy? Don't you want a tinoky-woky?"

I told my husband, "Please say something to her before I do."

He took her aside. "Um, I know you are trying to make my wife feel comfortable, but my wife is 34 years old. She has a Ph.D. from one of the most highly respected engineering schools in the world. Please stop talking to her as if she is 4-years old. She doesn't like it."

Finally I hoped up on the table and she told me I was fully dilated. Then she came at me with a hyperdermic needle. "Whoa!" we both shouted. "What are you doing? I didn't agree to any injections!!! What is that??"

Her answer: "chomer" (translation: "stuff")

Excuse me??? I specifically said "non-medicated birth."

"Calm down! Oh, it's just saline. We're going to put in a heparin lock in case you need it."

DH "Listen lady: I don't care if you want to give my wife saline, orange juice, or gasoline. You ASK before you start sticking anything into her. Got it?!?"

"Okay, okay, forget it. Why are you so hysterical? Nevermind. You have to PUSH. NOW!"

Huh? I didn't feel like it. I always read you were supposed to feel an urge to push. I felt like I was being told: "Have a bowel movement. Now!" Not. Gonna. Happen.

So I said, "I'd prefer to drink soemthing first" and asked the student nurse to bring me a bottle of water. The midwife starts screeching "push now!" and I'm calmly ignoring her. I drank, brushed my teeth (I had vomited earlier and didn't want to greet my newborn with vomit-breath!), and relaxed. About 20 minutes later, I felt like pushing, so I hopped up on the bed (they had no birthstools and squatted and started pushing. The midwife told me to lie on my back. I replied, "no thanks." and continued. She actually tried to physically push my onto my back, and told me she could not help me unless I was horizontal, so after a few good pushes, I layed on my side with my leg flexed while the student doctor held my leg. The student nurse got a mirror at my request so I could see what was happening.

The rest is rather uneventful. The baby crowned, I pushed him out at noon, my husband cut the cord as I instructed, he (the baby, not DH) weighed 3.85 kg (~8.5 lbs), Apgar 9/10. Midwife ASKED (see? she's teachable) if I wanted pitocin to help expel the placenta, but I declined.

They they took forever to get me into my room, so I hung out in the hallway for 3 hours. I went home after a couple of nights. DS is a gorgeous, lovely kid who will turn 3 in April.

And that's my story.

Medically, I was happy with the birth in that it was relatively quick, not too painful (transition was a bummer, but the pushing part was fun), non-medicated and I did not require any stitches.

But having to deal with that uber-annoying midwife while in labor was not what I was hoping for. We look back and laugh about it now, but in retrospect, I'm glad my husband was there to advocate for me.
#326 of 1780 Old 03-06-2007, 09:08 AM

Dear Susan,

Thank you for sharing your story. I wish you could have had a better birth experience and a more supportive midwife. But good for you and your husband that you managed to hold your ground on a number of issues. I'm sure it wasn't easy and I am impressed with your perseverance. No doubt you successfully avoided some harmful procedures and maintained your dignity to boot!

Are you planning for another child sometime soon? There are lots of useful resources on this forum about homebirth, good OBs and midwives, other hospital birth stories, discussion of birthing options (limited as they may be), and a host of other useful bits of information! I am relatively new here myself and everyone has been really welcoming and helpful.

Best,
Stephanie
#327 of 1780 Old 03-06-2007, 10:44 AM

Thanks, Stephanie, for your kind words.

I'm sure the whole situation would have seemed downright comical from someone looking in from the outside.

I found that my assertiveness about what I wanted during my birth was viewed as an oddity ("those crazy Americans..."). I'm not sure how much of this to attribute to cultural differences.

Even when I was touring maternity wards to decide where to give birth, I came ready with a list of about 4-6 questions about what was allowed/disallowed during labor, c-section and episiotomy rates, etc. Most of the other moms-to-be on these tours looked at me like I was nuts. Hardly anyone else asked anything (except about epidurals and enemas -- they were all very curious about enemas. I don't know why). At the time, my DH was sort of embarrassed by all my questions, since I was the only one asking.

Since you asked: I am in my 4th month with child #2, and trying to decide where to give birth this time. I was happy with the overall policies/stats at Asaf HaRofeh regarding flexibility during labor and their relatively low episiotomy rates. Unfortunately, I just wound up with a wacko midwife. Oh well - luck of the draw.

Last time around I checked out Asaf HaRofeh, Kaplan, Tel HaShomer, and Lis (Ichilov). Lis seemed okay, but I was worried about Tel-Aviv traffic (we live ~12km south of Tel Aviv). More specifically, I am worried about being in labor and a passenger in the car while my husband is driving through Tel-Aviv traffic. he's a wonderful, gentle man, but he turns into a testosterone-driven lunatic behind the wheel.

So I'm hoping to glean some info. from other mommies here about hospitals, etc. The Tel-HaShomer birthing center sounds interesting, but I'm not clear on how independent it is from the rest of the maternity ward (which, at least 3 years ago, was not to my liking).

I'm not thrilled with my obgyn (a local obgyn though the kupah) , but I don't know if I will switch now. My pregnancy is going well so far (tfu, tfu), and I don't actually need to interact with her when I am giving birth anyway.
#328 of 1780 Old 03-06-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue-bert View Post
Then I went down the hall to labor in the shower (since then, I understand the ward has undergone a shiputz and now all the L&D rooms have en-suite showers). I was told to come out when it started to hurt. So I labored there for a couple of hours, feeling guilty about all the water I was using.
That was me! I was in the shower for about 2 hours. I kept telling my husband that I was emptying the Kineret.
#329 of 1780 Old 03-07-2007, 05:20 AM

I only toured one hospital in East Jerusalem - Al Maqassed (Palestinian hospital). I think I asked about 100 questions, a lot of technical questions about what the midwife would do in situation X, etc. She was more than happy to answer (I work with her at an NGO so we have a friendly relationship) and later she said she loves having women who know what they want and ask a lot of questions because it makes her job easier having an educated client who knows beforehand what her experience could be like in the hospital. She said the other staff I met that day who overheard our conversation couldn't believe I wasn't a midwife myself! She said she did another tour for an American Palestinian lady and she prepared herself to answer all kinds of questions, thinking it might be like my tour, and all the lady asked was "when could I get an epidural?!".

I consider that we are all consumers of healthcare and should shop around for the best options. I would never buy a car without doing research and asking lots of questions and going for the one which could offer me what I want. With something as important as my body and my baby, I would only be more diligent in finding the best place for me to birth!
#330 of 1780 Old 03-07-2007, 05:52 AM

Good for you for asking all of the right questions. I'm always amazed how the same people who ask a million questions before buying a stroller don't know anything before they come to give birth. It's ridiculous.

I can't remember if I asked already, but have you gone to Ein Karem? It's closer to you than Tel Hashomer, and I think they just opened a natural birth center or at least designated a couple of rooms to it. I think the only information I found for you was in Hebrew, now that I think about it.

I gave birth there and was basically pleased, but it wasn't the ideal natural birth because I was on the monitor the whole time (his pulse kept on dropping during contrax), and it slipped when I tried to sit on the birthing ball, so I got stuck in the bed. In general my midwife was good and was willing to do what I wanted. She also did her best to keep my perineum intact, but I tore a little in the end.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page