Israel - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-16-2007, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Neva, I bet your parents know about Tehilla from when they were making aliyah.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2007, 06:02 AM

I'd bet not, they made aliyah in 1970.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:53 PM

Hi Israeli mommies,

I have in posted in ages, just haven't had the time, but this is just to good not to let you all know about it. Karen Strange is coming to Israel in may to give her simple tools seminar. Karen Strange is a midwife who is knwon worldwide for her writing and lectures, her most recent being "simple tools".
The following is the specific info.

EVERY BABY HAS A STORY TO TELL…
Come learn Karen Strange's 'Simple Tools' to integrate the newborn's birth experience. Through story-telling, video, written text and lecture 'Simple Tools' covers “the rest” of the story, filling in the blanks and giving participants a complete picture of the experience that is occurring for everyone just before, during, and right after birth. Karen will teach us to:
•Gain further insight about neonatal physiology and psychology: babies are conscious, super-sensitive, intelligent and always laying down memory.
•Pace yourself, even in high-stress situations, to match the newborn's requirements: because baby's automatic nervous system works 6 times slower than ours, barring emergency, we need to wait longer to engage the newborn.
•Communicate with the newborn through eye-contact and speech: discover how to differentiate yourself from the baby’s experience and then communicate with the baby to help her integrate what she is experiencing in the moment.
•Learn to recognize that ruptures in the process of birth happen all the time, even in the most normal of situations: repair can happen all the time as well; use neo-natal reflexes as a means to repair rupture.

'Simple Tools' is for Doctors, Nurses, Midwives, Doulas, Childbirth Educators, Lactation Consultants, Lactation Counselors, and everyone who a cares about how human beings are brought into the world.

'Simple Tools' will take place on Thursday, May 3, 2007 between 8:45-2:00
at Hechal Hatarbut Drom Hasharon
(on Highway 40, east of the Yarkon Interchange, next to Moshav Neve Yarak)
The lecture will be given in English.

To register contact 050-7114117 or [email protected] checks for NIS 250 can be made payable to The Israel Childbirth Education Center.
This course is approved for 4 Continuing Education Credits.
CERPS applied for from ICLCE.

I hope to see you all there!!!!

If you have any further questions you can pm me or e-mail me at [email protected].

(I am the Dahlia that sells HH and Bummis diapers in Israel )

Dahlia
Old 04-22-2007, 05:04 PM

Hello Ladies!

I hope you can help me. My DH is currently working in Israel and we are discussing whether to move myself and my DS there in the fall. I am excited about the prospect but also nervous and I was wondering if I could ask you ladies questions. Both DH and I are Christian and I certainly don't speak Hebrew. I know DH does speak some Arabic and probably has picked up a few words in Hebrew. Do I need to be able to speak Hebrew? We will be living in Jerusalem if that helps. I have more questions but I have to go now and tend to DS. Thanks.

Mama to two loqacious and bouncy boys.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:25 PM

mamatowill, don't worry. Most people you will meet in Jerusalem speak at least some English. You can get by at first with your English, and you can study Hebrew when you are there. It's great that your DH speaks some Arabic, too.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:16 PM

English will certainly get you by in Jerusalem. Arabic will help also. There is certainly an Arab Christian population in Israel. Might want to do some searches and make some contacts about that.

There is another lady who posts on here who is an "Anglo" (English speaker) with an Arab husband...so that might be an INSTANT connection for you...

Hope this helps. Don't worry about language at all. You'll be just fine in Jerusalem and most other places in Israel as well.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
Old 04-22-2007, 08:21 PM

I have another question about moving to Israel. DH and I have been living in the USA for 5 years and are talking about returning to Israel soon. I'd like to get an idea of everyone's expenses. I'm talking about rent/mortgage, groceries, schooling, child care, car expenses and insurance; electric, water, gas and phone/cellphone bills, arnona etc. If you don't feel comfortable posting publically please PM me.

About us: We tend to live simply so we are on the cheaper end of the spectrum. I can easily get a job as a secretary and dh is a newly trained mechanical engineer so it may be harder for him to find work. We both speak Hebrew fluently and we don't have any zechuyot.

All of our family in Israel tells us to stay here since life in Israel is so hard financially but it just seems like we aren't getting anywhere living in here. We thought we'd earn some money before we got back but with day school tuition costs we aren't able to save.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:33 PM

3 Daughters, coming back later when I'm not putting my 3 daughters in bed

Our expenses are much less in Israel than in the states. I know our mortgage is about 1200 NIS, for a new 3br apaprtment in Ma'ale Adumine (but we put something like 70% down, our mortgage is only around 50K). Most day care I have seen is about 1000 NIS for part time (7 - 1:30) and a little more until 4 or 4:30. Preschools in some areas are free, in others it's 600 NIS / month. (we're free ) Car costs can be a lot, but you really don't need one. Like so much else it really depends where you are living, how big of an apartment or house you want, and how you want to eat. What areas are you looking into? Do you own a home in the US? Depending on the area, there is a good chance you can buy outright in Israel when you sell your house in the US, but it might be an apartment instead of a home.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

Old 04-22-2007, 09:32 PM

We don't own and we don't have a sizeable down payment either. As for furnishings, we left behind very simple furniture and all of our appliances so we shouldn't have to invest in that outright. We would probably look at an Eizor Pituach (south or north) so in that case ganim would be free from what you are saying. We would need a car (van?) just to be mobile in and out of the yishuv. We are used to living frugally so we know how to keep costs low.

We have a lot of expenses coming up here (i.e. car lease ending, computer dying etc) and it would just make sense to invest in ourselves in the place that we intend to stay permanently. If we'd buy a new stuff here we'd be putting ourselves further into debt and it would delay our return even more. Plus, we could never afford to go back and visit in between to see our family. Its a endless cycle : .

Gotta go help dh put our 3 daughters to bed...
Old 04-23-2007, 03:33 AM

Dahlia

Mamatowill, you don't need Hebrew right away. Depending on where in Jerusalem you live, you might actually need more Arabic, but you can by with English for a lot of things. You can learn the language when you get here.

3daughters, you should see if you or your DH have rights as a toshav chozer, having been away for 5 years. This means you can bring a lift with appliances and stuff without paying meches. Look into it, see if it helps you.
Have you been paying bituach leumi? If so, they might owe you money, which can be nice.

As for expenses, it really depends on where you live.
Even in Jerusalem, there are cheaper and more expensive areas. We live in a relatively cheap area, and our expenses are similar to RachelEve's. We have to pay for preschool though.
If you're willing to live really frugally, you could look into renting a caravan, which in certain yishuvim (mostly in yehuda veshomron if it's relevant) is dirt cheap, just a few hundred shekel a month.
It's possible to live frugally in Israel, I know that up north there are a lot of homeschool families, so if they can do it with one paycheck, it can be done.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:07 PM

Hi all

re: expenses in Israel, I can tell you our standard of living here in Israel is *higher* than it was in the USA. My husband does have a very good job, but still, I don't *have* to work (though I do, we're talking very part time freelance work-from-home) and we live very nicely. When I don't work, we have to watch our expenses more, but I'm talking no-extra-vacation, not NO vacation...

We were never able to own in the US, never had the money for a downpayment. After one year in Israel, though, we managed to buy an apartment for 175K... not bad, i thought! You said your husband is an engineer? That could be great, b/c in the tech jobs, many places give you a car at a very good rate (our car is completely free, gas, repairs, and everything, but my dh has been working for the company for 7 years now (6 of them in the USA, 2 here in israel).

In any case, I'd say not to worry about expensives... and I get very paranoid about those sorts of things. We homeschool, but in the USA we didnt and we spent so, so much on day school tution. Even at a private school here, you'll never spend close to what you spend in the US. I also find that in general, bills are lower, *except* car expenses, but again, we don't pay for that. Many people do without cars anyway in Israel.

Does that help? I'm feeling a little sleepy and rambling, so I hope I make some sense. lol

Take care,

Rachel

Rachel & Eli , with DS1 (7/99) and DS2 (11/01) twins DD1 & DS3 (01/10)
Old 04-30-2007, 04:05 PM

Thanks for all the input. We've been talking to people and trying to figure out how we would make out financially in Israel.

We think we would be able to earn about 14,000 NIS combined bruto (secretarial salary 6,000 & starting engineer salary 8,000).

Major monthly expenses would be:

Rent 2400 NIS (based on $600)
Arnona 500 NIS
Groceries 2,000 NIS
HOT package 300 NIS
Cellphone 200 NIS
Utilities 400 NIS
Gan 600 NIS
Car payments 1000 NIS?
Auto insurance 500 NIS
Gas 800 NIS
Bituach Mashlim 200 NIS

That comes out to 8900 which is way short of 1400 for other expenses like clothing, shoes, entertainment, mamad school fees etc. We'd also have the expense of private health insurance for the first 10-12 months after we get back.

Is this realistic?
Old 05-01-2007, 08:28 AM

Hi to everyone,

I've been offline for a few weeks traveling in Sweden, but now I'm back.

Mamatowill, I am the American married to a Palestinian from Jerusalem that Riv mentioned. I've been here about 7-8 years (on and off). I initially came for work and later met my husband and settled here. I would be happy to answer any of your questions about living in Jerusalem (we live in an Arab neighborhood in East Jerusalem so I can share my experiences with that - of course I am familiar with West Jerusalem but I only lived there very briefly a few years ago). My husband is from a Christian family and while we are secular, I am familiar with the Christian Palestinian community here. Regarding language - almost everyone (in West and East Jerusalem) does speak some English and you can usually get by. I speak Arabic and am learning Hebrew at an Ulpan. Depending on which part of the city you live in and where most of your daily interactions take place you can learn the appropriate language. It definitely helps and lets you learn more about the cultures. I finally decided to be serious about Hebrew because one of us needed to learn it to better deal with the government ministries, banks, insurance, cell phone company, etc., but even with those we can usually find someone who speaks English and have managed until now. Professionally, socially and family-wise, in my situation Arabic is a must even though we speak English at home. Anyhow, feel free to message me and ask any other questions you might have about living here. I hope you and your husband can be reunited with each other soon! I worked for one year abroad and we found it very difficult to be apart for long periods of time; I'll never forget how horrible that felt.
All the best,
Stephanie
Old 05-01-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3daughters View Post
. We'd also have the expense of private health insurance for the first 10-12 months after we get back.
Why in the world do you need that?

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
Old 05-01-2007, 10:54 AM

Welcome MamatoWill! Welcome back Stephanie!

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
Old 05-01-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedBird View Post
Why in the world do you need that?
Toshavim Chozrim have a waiting period before their Kupat Cholim can be restored (2 months for every year you were away). http://www.btl.gov.il/NR/exeres/596C...7F2B2DD7FC.htm
Old 05-01-2007, 11:51 AM

really? Is that a new rule? We didn't have to go through that. We were gone 18 months, we had kupat cholim immediately. We only had to wait a few months until the new year to switch kupot, to the one which was more active in our area, but we deinately had coverage immediately.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:53 AM

Yep, its a new rule, we came back in 2001.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:54 AM

How do they differentiate between being a non toshav and being on an extended vacation? I wonder what will happen if we all leave for a few months when dh, iy"h gets a transplant....

Old 05-01-2007, 12:18 PM

BB-You have to keep up with your Bituach Leumi payments while you are away. Set up a horaat keva before you leave.

A person is considered a toshav for up to 5 years that he is away. After that, apparently, Bituach Leumi returns the payments you made while you were away and makes you wait out the waiting period or pay the nearly 9000 shach to redeem your health care rights.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:26 PM

We don't pay BL, they pay us- dh is nocheh.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:58 PM

From the BL website:

קצבת הנכות משולמת לנכה תושב ישראל השוהה בחו"ל, בששת החודשים הראשונים מהיציאה מהארץ. תשלום הקצבה לאחר 6 חודשים אפשרי בתנאים מסוימים, כגון אם הוא או בן זוגו מועסקים על-יד מעסיק ישראלי בחו"ל, או אם דרוש לו טיפול רפואי מיוחד.

HTH!
Old 05-01-2007, 02:06 PM

OH! COOL!!!
Since he would be there undergoing a transplant I guess that would be included.
Thanks!

Old 05-01-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3daughters View Post
Thanks for all the input. We've been talking to people and trying to figure out how we would make out financially in Israel.

We think we would be able to earn about 14,000 NIS combined bruto (secretarial salary 6,000 & starting engineer salary 8,000).

Major monthly expenses would be:

Rent 2400 NIS (based on $600)
Arnona 500 NIS
Groceries 2,000 NIS
HOT package 300 NIS
Cellphone 200 NIS
Utilities 400 NIS
Gan 600 NIS
Car payments 1000 NIS?
Auto insurance 500 NIS
Gas 800 NIS
Bituach Mashlim 200 NIS

That comes out to 8900 which is way short of 1400 for other expenses like clothing, shoes, entertainment, mamad school fees etc. We'd also have the expense of private health insurance for the first 10-12 months after we get back.

Is this realistic?
It all depends on where you live and work. I can tell you that secretaries in the public sector start at 4,000 neto approximately, which is a lot less than you're considering.
Same goes for rent, $600 won't get you much in a lot of places, not even wherever's popular up north maybe. Groceries you might be able to get for less. Depends on how much you buy organic, and how much you cook from scratch and buy on sale.
I know this is a tough one, but maybe skip cable for the first few months, until you have a steady income and can see what your other expenses are.

That's all I can think of now.

BB, davening that he gets that trasplant soon.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo&zoe View Post
It all depends on where you live and work. I can tell you that secretaries in the public sector start at 4,000 neto approximately, which is a lot less than you're considering.
Same goes for rent, $600 won't get you much in a lot of places, not even wherever's popular up north maybe. Groceries you might be able to get for less. Depends on how much you buy organic, and how much you cook from scratch and buy on sale.
I know this is a tough one, but maybe skip cable for the first few months, until you have a steady income and can see what your other expenses are.

That's all I can think of now.

BB, davening that he gets that trasplant soon.
E&Z thanks for your input. I was earning 6000 when we left 5 years ago so I know I can make that much again. I've asked about rents and thats the figure I was given but maybe it is on the low side. Remember that Y-m rents are really high. We are very frugal shoppers and I got figures on groceries from the 2000-4000 range so I chose the lower range. I wish I could buy organic!!! Skipping cable is a good suggestion and we can certainly live without it. I just understood that it is a very affordable package when you get cable, phone and internet through HOT.

Time to start sending out resumes. Anyone get a job in Israel from the US?
Old 05-01-2007, 06:17 PM

is this $600 for an apt in Yerushaliem? If so, then yes, that is definately low low low! Of course, if you would be willing to live somewhere outside, $600 could get you a very nice place. I have friends on a small yishuv paying under $500 for a 4 bedroom, one huge living room, a dining room and a kitchen with two bathrooms and a storage area underneith the house. And a big yard. Of course I also paid $500 for a two bedroom with living room and kitchen with one bath and a half room in Rechovot.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post
Of course, if you would be willing to live somewhere outside, $600 could get you a very nice place. I have friends on a small yishuv paying under $500 for a 4 bedroom, one huge living room, a dining room and a kitchen with two bathrooms and a storage area underneith the house. And a big yard.
That is the lifestyle we are looking for!

Have you found a new home yet?
Old 05-02-2007, 03:55 AM

Are you looking to come back to Jerusalem, or a different area?
If in Jerusalem, you can try posting a jobseek in Janglo. There are other lists in other parts of the country.
Around J-lem there are lots of areas you can find housing in for cheaper. Inside Jlem you could probably find cheap housing in Pisgat Zeev or maybe Gilo. Otherwise maybe you could find something for that price in Efrat and the gush.

Good luck!
Old 05-02-2007, 04:33 AM

I think we have a house...found something AWESOME...if you wanted to live in the north...I found an AMAZING program for olim...and toshav choserim. PM me if you want details. It's what we are doing, and we could be neighbors.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:20 AM

You've made me so curious. I'm PMing you.

User Tag List