Israel - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 1780 Old 09-20-2006, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yeah, I was so riled up after posting this, that I went right to the grocery store and socked it to the first worker there who got in my way.

The story, I finally found a can of tomato paste that said it in English. So I turned the can to read the word in Hebrew. Then this woman working there comes and starts totally ripping into me in front of eveyrone in the store. "Take this one! It's the same thing. What is your problem. That ruins the order I set up."

So I looked her straight in the eye and said "I'm reading something. You have a problem?"

She said "yes."

"what do you want to do about it?"

She shut up.

"shall I ask your permission for EVERYTHING I touch at the store?"

silence.

"are we okay now?"

"no."

Oh well. I could have been meaner, I suppose.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#182 of 1780 Old 09-21-2006, 11:24 AM

OMG the supermarket is the WORST part of Israel!
I @#$% hate that here they think its normal and acceptable to not put price labels on heaps of stuff, and if they do happen to put a price on something, its accuracy is pretty arbitrary. they seem to have lots of really great value 'specials' where if you buy a certain number of a certain item, you get another one for free, or something to that effect. only these 'specials' are only valid on the poster or sticker on which they are advertised - neither the the checkout computer or the girl running it have heard of this thing.

If, heaven forfend, you deign to ask someone what a price is, be prepared for a lot of huffing, puffing, sarcasm and a long wait. If you should dare to suggest to the checkout girl that any item was actually a different price than what the computer states (even with the evidence of price sticker in hand), be prepared to be shouted at, stressed, and basically treated as if you parked your car sideways in the middle of the intersection of Allenby and King George in TA.

Even if everything else does by the grace of g-d go according to plan, the checkout girls are by about 50x the SLOOOOOWEST workers I have EVER seen.

My first week in Israel (now 4 years ago), I decided to make bread. I went to the supermarket, not speaking a single word of Hebrew, and tried to find flour. I walked up and down all the aisles, just looking at stuff, learning... I found something that looked a lot like a packet of flour, but I couldnt tell, and not one of the several brands or varieties had a word in English.

So I asked a nearby worker. She didnt speak English, wouldnt even try to communicate with me, just shook her head and went back to stacking milk. A few store employees later, we found someone who spoke a little English, but didnt know what flour was. I was pointing to these bags I found that look like flour, trying to work out what it was. They said it's not flour.
sigh
I explained what flour is - something to make bread.
he took me to the bread department.
No! I explained, not "bread", to "make" bread. Flour!!!
he conferred with a few other employees. took me to the oats.
took me to breakfast cereal, to juices and syrups, to wines...
after about 20 minutes of this, finally we found someone who speaks better English, who brought us back to the original stuff that was, indeed flour.
:
Then I needed yeast.
I took one look at the employee, said thankyou and headed for the bakery!

After that I taught myself to read, at least. and I learned never to go into supermarkets!

maybe we should start a "vent about Israel" thread

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#183 of 1780 Old 09-21-2006, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
maybe we should start a "vent about Israel" thread

Oy, please don't. There are enough "vent about Israel" threads here already, usually in N&CE.
#184 of 1780 Old 09-21-2006, 05:43 PM

This is almost as the fearmongering thread in vaccinations!

I wish I could remember some of mine...
#185 of 1780 Old 09-21-2006, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk View Post
Oy, please don't. There are enough "vent about Israel" threads here already, usually in N&CE.
True :
#186 of 1780 Old 09-22-2006, 08:32 AM

forgive my ignorance, what's N&CE?

#187 of 1780 Old 09-22-2006, 09:17 AM

I wasn't sure either, but I think they mean "News and Current Events"

Am I right?

I avoid those forums, for that exact reason, actually.

Rachel & Eli , with DS1 (7/99) and DS2 (11/01) twins DD1 & DS3 (01/10)
#188 of 1780 Old 09-22-2006, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodUserNamesTaken View Post
I wasn't sure either, but I think they mean "News and Current Events"

Am I right?

I avoid those forums, for that exact reason, actually.
You got it..
#189 of 1780 Old 09-24-2006, 04:58 AM

Tel Aviv
Hi, I'm Johnette and I'm a new Mom living in Israel. I know there are some other Moms in my tribe but we don't have a tribe listed so I'd love to find you all! I have a 2 month old daughter named Zarah and we are using cloth diapers and wearing her everywhere! It is very exciting to have this forum available as there is so much to learn and share.

I've been traveling around the world as a photographer and have lived in 15 countries and visited around 40. I mostly focus on women and children in crisis situations, healthcare and the environment. Being in Israel is the first time I'm traveling with my husband and now a new child so I'm in a very different space and looking forward to connecting with my Mom tribe. I am learning Hebrew but I also speak English, French, Portuguese, German and Spanish so don't hesitate to contact me in one of those too!

Oh I did find our tribe so here I am.

Hey Majikfaerie, nice to find you again, last saw you when my husband and I dropped you and your daughter off after a dinner party.
#190 of 1780 Old 09-24-2006, 08:43 AM

hi johnette!

reading your post, I was excited to see another "traveller" mum, I've also travelled in around 50 countries and lived in about a dozen, now in Israel. and I speak all of those languages (except French, but I do have a bit of Hebrew), so we seemed well matched, and I had to laugh to realise we've already met !

anyway, sorry I was mis-understood before,
firstly, I was joking when I said we should make a "vent about Israel" thread - if I really wanted to make one, I would just do it,
and secondly, I REALLY did NOT mean a "news and current events" style vent, rather, more like a practical daily-life vent, like "those darn taxi drivers" and "the F@#$%ing misrad hapnim/ haklita!!" kinda vents.
personally, if I see anything to do with political/ current events in israel, I 'run away! run away!'

#191 of 1780 Old 09-24-2006, 08:43 AM

ps, SHANAH TOVAH to everyone!!!

#192 of 1780 Old 09-24-2006, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
personally, if I see anything to do with political/ current events in israel, I 'run away! run away!'

Please, take me with you ... I'm like a passing motorist at a car wreck with those threads, can't help but stop and stare, and sometimes have this unbearable urge to help that poor drive who's trapped behind the wheel escape from the horrible situation he's in ... which is when I get into trouble.

But man could I contribute to those vent threads. Am accumulating vents. Might save 'em for a book.
#193 of 1780 Old 09-24-2006, 09:11 PM

I thought that is what an Israel thread was FOR?! Haven't I already been a'venting?

Shanna Tova to all you WONDERFUL, BEAUTIFUL reasons for staying here in Israel. May we all be inscribed in the book of LIFE, HEALTH, and PROSPERITY (AMEN AMEN AMEN) in this coming year.

Now, when are we meeting...?

#194 of 1780 Old 10-04-2006, 08:05 PM

Okay, so why can't they make ice cream taste normal in this country? You get one of those big containers, chocolate/vanilla/pickaflavoranyflavor, and they just taste ... weird.

Though the chocolate, of course, tastes the least weird. Or maybe that's just me ...

But anyway, this makes me crazy. If anyone has a suggestion or explanation ...

So what's everyone's Sukkot looking like? We'll be home for it, but working on our khol ha'mo'ed plans. We're going to be at our Rebbe z"l's moshav (Mevo/Meor Modi'in) I think it's on Monday, they're having their annual Sukkot balagan/festival/crafts fair/etc. Though we have to go right around lunchtime to DH's boss's house for his annual Sukkot thingy which is most inconveniently on the same day. Sigh. But it's a command performance ... have to show the boss the proper respect. (Insert Marlon Brando/Don Corleone's voice here: "You have to give me the proper respect.") Guess that means I have to try to behave respectably. Hoping the kids get the memo, too ...

So what's up, ladies?

#195 of 1780 Old 10-04-2006, 08:23 PM

Well, our sukkah is up! Yay!! DH bought the most beautiful esrog today!! Yay again! It looks like we're all set with all that stuff (he got a new lulav too).
I'm so stoked. I love Sukkos! We'll be having guests over Sukkos too, newly married friend of ours. DH and his friend are gonna be camping out in the Sukkah. This is the first year that I'm not sleeping in a Sukkah for at least a night! (No complaints though - don't want DS in there getting sick(er)!)

I should be asleep. It's 1:16am and I feel like it's 2:16am because of the time change. Every has changed their clocks by now, right, ladies? It's been a few days. Finally got DS to fall asleep. Right after he projectile vomited all over me and the bed AGAIN (twice in a few days now). Poor baby.

But back to Sukkos.. I'm so stoked! I need to decorate the Sukkah, that's on my to-do list. I'm also gonna start cooking, bli neder, tomorrow (or, really, later on today )

I hope everyone else is doing great!
#196 of 1780 Old 10-04-2006, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk View Post
Okay, so why can't they make ice cream taste normal in this country? You get one of those big containers, chocolate/vanilla/pickaflavoranyflavor, and they just taste ... weird.

Though the chocolate, of course, tastes the least weird. Or maybe that's just me ...

But anyway, this makes me crazy. If anyone has a suggestion or explanation ...

So what's everyone's Sukkot looking like? We're going to be at our Rebbe z"l's moshav (Mevo/Meor Modi'in) I think it's on Monday, they're having their annual Sukkot balagan/festival/crafts fair/etc. Though we have to go right around lunchtime to DH's boss's house for his annual Sukkot thingy. Sigh. Guess that means I have to try to behave respectably. Hoping the kids get the memo, too ...

So what's up, ladies?

I went to the festival once on the moshav- have fun!

Hope your kids behave at the boss' house.

RE: icecream. It depends on brand. Some are *way better* than others. Nestle is good, but if you boycot that doesn't help you. Most of the IC is made with mostly *vegetable fat* no "pure cream" recipes here. You can ger Ben and Jerry's but its expensive and you have to be very careful that it isn't melted and refrozen (many are) you can also get haagen daz- but same prob. The other brand thats good is Strauss. The more expensive it is, usually the better. Rio and Feldman are cheap and not too good. Cremaria (nestle?) and Carismo (kuf raish... strauss) are good. Carismo comes in a purple opaque container.

HTH.

Dh is stressing over money and yeshiva stuff, I'm trying to get y"t meals ready and make sure we have food for chol hamoed and get the house minimally clean and organised. Middle ds is sick with some stomache thing...
And I am unsuccessfully trying to eat no sugar, eat whole grains and drink water, oh, and eat veggies because I have to loose weight or go on meds to treat my PCOS (freshly diagnosed, yay!)

Amy, are you going to come up after sukkos? Anyone else wanting to come to Tzfat?

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#197 of 1780 Old 10-04-2006, 08:35 PM

Welcome Johnette!!

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#198 of 1780 Old 10-05-2006, 08:29 AM

ice cream. Don't even get me started on this one.

I go for the Ben and Jerrys when I'm really bummed out. Still doesn't taste the same.

B"H we'll be back in the USA within the week. I'm neeeeeeeeding to go home for a bit. Only two weeks, but it should be enough to get me centered before baby's arrival. And give mom a chance to love dd a bit.

Any thoughts about stuff that I should be eating and/or doing while there?

Oh, and MONEY IS an issue, so please don't say "Disney land or something" I'm talking "eat some ice cream while there" or something like that.

Happy new year everyone and I really hope we can get it together to meet soon.

#199 of 1780 Old 10-05-2006, 08:52 AM

Get Rita's water ice. We went in the winter last and totally did not eat my fill of frozen treats. I don't think I will be going again for a loong time, if ever.

#200 of 1780 Old 10-05-2006, 12:33 PM

I've never even heard of it! What is it?!

#201 of 1780 Old 10-09-2006, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedBird View Post
I don't think I will be going again for a loong time, if ever.

Any particular reason?

Just wondering.

Mo'adim l'simkha, mamas. & a guten mo'ed to you, too.
#202 of 1780 Old 10-11-2006, 12:14 PM

If your in Tel-Aviv there is a great ice cream place in Basel. It is called Vaniglia and has gluten free flavors as well.(For anyone who is interested).

Dahlia
#203 of 1780 Old 10-12-2006, 07:13 AM

Dahlia question: Did you post a birth story about your unplanned-but-thrilling HBAC?

I love love love reading birth stories.

Just if you did.

Just wondering.

#204 of 1780 Old 10-12-2006, 05:04 PM

hey mamas,
I havent been online for a few days, we're selling our apartment, which turned out to be a LOT of hard work! anyway, its not over, so help me out?

anyone likes to buy a dira, in Tel Aviv, the neighbourhood of sderot ben gurion, near to rehov Dizengoff - 5 min walk to Gordon beach.
2 big rooms with large mirpeset plus small 'service' mirpeset (balcony) or 2 1/2 rooms + mirpeset ktana. NEW kitchen, recently revamepd plumbing and electricity.
very quite location in the center of Tel Aviv (yes, it really is!) all you see from the windows and balcon is luch green leafy trees - its like being in a jungle, lots of potential, and perfect for a small family.
We're looking for around $220K neg. and we'll throw in whatever furniture you like, coz....

we're moving to....

AUSTRALIA!!!!!!

sorry, I know, I only made aliyah 2 years ago and I'm already making 'yeridah':
but DH finally got his residency visa and we're gonna leave after hannukah!!!
(with a 6 week stopover in Thailand!)

#205 of 1780 Old 10-12-2006, 07:39 PM

majik was amazed reading the beginning of your post, couldn't believe that such a constantly-moving pair as you would actually settle down long enough to own an apartment. Good luck on your move ...

Am needing help here myself. I know bleach is not a favorite for totally all-natural folks, but am partial to it myself just because we wear white so much. So am needing to know what the heck is bleach here. Like, if anyone uses it or some substitute (that works), please tell me what the name of it is ... and a description of the package would be helpful as well.
#206 of 1780 Old 10-12-2006, 09:39 PM

Ecenomica=bleach (made by all the major cleaning product brands). i.e. http://www.sano.co.il/site/catalog.asp?catalog_id=4.

All fabric bleach (like Oxyclean, Clorox 2 or Seventh Generation bleach (hydrogen peroxide)) http://www.sano.co.il/site/catalog_s...92;&page=2&d=5-products 3-5 on the page. I used to buy the Kalia brand.
#207 of 1780 Old 10-13-2006, 04:06 AM

Very cool.

And see? My ulpan is working a little. I can see on the "oxygen" things it says "le'lo ekonomika." Without bleach. Am quite sure I've never seen the word "le'lo" in the Khumash. Okay, so that's hydrogen peroxide. Got it.

The ones in the first link, is that like regular bleach that is used to clean your bathroom *and* your laundry (just in case you really want to be toxic)?

#208 of 1780 Old 10-13-2006, 10:23 AM

Yup! Just take a whiff, you'll know!

Happy shopping and laundering!
#209 of 1780 Old 10-15-2006, 01:27 PM

we sold our dira!!! for $20,000 more than we expected!!!!!
YAY!!!!!

so we celebrated by going out for pizza and ice cream (one of the italian places in Ibn Gvirol, TA, where they do great gelati, not the Israeli C@#P )

AND my DH got his residency visa to Australia (like the green card, intitles him to live and work for 5 years, get full medical care, and social security, and apply for citizenship after 2 years!)

So, we're leaving after Hannukah, via Thailand!!!
(actually, i would love to leave earlier in December, to arrive in time for the Rainbow Gathering, but i have 2 births I've been asked to attend, due 'mid-December', so its a bit of a tough toss-up - the births of 2 of my best friends, or rainbow in Thailand with the rest of my best friends...

#210 of 1780 Old 10-19-2006, 02:58 PM

Hey I'm a newcomer to Israel and am looking for a community in the north. My husband, baby girl (almost a year!) and I live in the Golan Heights and are tyring to connect to like minded community...we are a co-sleeping, breastfeeding, clothdiapering/elimination communication, permaculture gardening, organic eating happy family wanting to share our joy and passion for life with others, and to find playmates for our little girl...if you're in the north, we'd like to know you...

Sarahfina

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page