Anyone living in Dubai/Abu Dhabi/Gulf States? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 145 Old 03-29-2012, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I sent a request too. thumb.gif

We're soon to start preparing for summer in US and I admit, I could not be more excited. The recent little bump in the heat has made me remember how it feels to be stuck in the AC 24/7, and I have a friend from home visiting and have laughed more in just the past few days than I had the previous year altogether. Anyone else making summer plans?

We were thinking about Umrah for spring break but the logistics are just not happening, it looks like. Maybe fall/winter.

We're making some big changes here in our lives. In fall, when we return from US (dh will be working all over the world all summer), we are going to rent in AUD instead of DXB, and I decided to do school at home with the kids instead of enrolling in an international school. I feel like dd lost a year at school this year. Ds did learn, but the social scene for both kids has been a trial. We're giving online school a go and I'm looking forward to networking with the hs families there. They meet regularly and have an online presence, and I just feel like I might be able to make that work for us.

That said, I have to figure out pet logistics now. Yikes.

#122 of 145 Old 03-29-2012, 10:35 PM

Oh ljooj! I'm happy to hear you're moving to Abu Dhabi! I hope you'll consider Al Reef--we're right near the airport, only 30 mins from anywhere in Abu Dhabi and 30 mins from the border with Dubai.

We have a wonderful diverse community where children play in the street, we have regular "boot" sales--as in selling stuff out of the boot of your car--and a community forum that addresses community issues.

I'm not an agent or anything, I just want more homeschoolers to live near us! :)

How old are your children? Mine are 4, 7 and 10.

I think  you're right about ADHSA--it provided us an instant community when we arrived in Abu Dhabi and it's a very active group. In fact, I came from quite an active homeschool group in Florida, but it was positively sleepy compared to this. Of course, you can tailor your level of involvement to suit your pace...

If you're ever able to make it to Abu Dhabi on a Monday, you should meet up with us! We meet every week at 4 pm at the Corniche Family Park. Once it gets too miserably hot to play outdoors, we start meeting at the bowling alley or the ice skate rink. Have you joined the ADHSA yahoo group (In The Shade)? That's where we announce what we're doing on Mondays, and you can start asking questions as they come up (everything from homeschool questions to moving questions, etc.)

In the meantime, if you need anything, don't hesitate to contact me. My family will be in Lebanon for 6 weeks in the summer, but we'll be back mid-August.

Looking forward to meeting you!

/laura

DS1: 2/02 ROTFLMAO.gif DD: 9/04 blahblah.gif DS2: 9/07jog.gif and EDD: 11/13 belly.gif

#123 of 145 Old 04-02-2012, 01:34 PM

Laura, you're the kind soul who already sent me a note via ADHSA's Yahoo group, aren't you?! energy.gif

It looks like we are going to be crazy busy until we fly, but I am actually looking forward to our return in fall now. I'd been dreading it until the Abu Dhabi move started to solidify. I think we are going to end up on-island and in a more urban place, like Markaziya, close to the Corniche. We're one-car, and dh will be all over the place, so we're looking at flats instead of villa life. It will be grittier than most US expats choose, probably, but considering that Bur Dubai and Deira are my favorite places up here, I think it will provide the stimuli that I need, and the kids need. I truly cannot wait, though, to jump in with the other families there and to finally plug in and make some real friends. That said, I will have car access evenings, and will have so much more flexibility without the whole 6:30 AM school bus issue.

I literally just wrapped up a two-week visit with a friend from the US. I had forgotten how much fun I can be until she came, seriously, and laughed more in the last two weeks than I had the previous 10 months put together. This has me hopeful for our second year in UAE.

I just posted on the Yahoo group about kombucha. Yeah, that's me. winky.gif treehugger.gif

But let me know if you are coming up to Dubai at all in the coming weeks. My two are 8 (dd) and 10 (ds).

#124 of 145 Old 04-02-2012, 10:54 PM

Aha! Now I now who you are ROTFLMAO.gif

Are you on Facebook? We have a Foody Friends group there for information about organics, fermenting, and all things traditional in food prep and nutrition. Want to join? It's all Abu Dhabi women, most from the homeschool group. Now that you know my last name, and probably my e-mail address, you can friend me on FB if you like and I'll invite you to that group.

A few families may try to go to Children's Park City in Dubai in the next couple of weeks, we've been wanting to check out the science museum there. I'll let you know if we do, maybe we can meet up then joy.gif

DS1: 2/02 ROTFLMAO.gif DD: 9/04 blahblah.gif DS2: 9/07jog.gif and EDD: 11/13 belly.gif

#125 of 145 Old 04-03-2012, 08:30 PM

Laura, please do get in touch before you come up. My two are still in school, but I could always meet up with the group just to meet parents and start getting to know people. That's the children's park in Creek Park?

I literally just started a Whole30 yesterday before checking out your foody FB page. Drool. But I've decided to explore the food connection with inflammatory things I have (osteoarthritis, reactive airways, allergies). No bread, dairy, legumes or sugar for a month. God help me. God help my family. Sheepish.gif

Meantime, kids are still on spring break, so we are today going metro cruising and exploring around the city, I guess.

#126 of 145 Old 04-03-2012, 10:01 PM

Dude, I'm in! Do you mind if I post it on Foody Friends to see who else will do it with us? Did you start already?

I basically try to eat that way most of the time, but dairy is my big sticking point (can't live without my lattes!) and so is sugar in certain annoying forms--I can pass up dessert easily, but barbecue sauce is really, really hard for me to give up.

Anyway, given that recently I've been slipping a lot, I need a kick in the butt. So count me in.

I guess all that awesome kombucha I just made will get given away for now :(

#127 of 145 Old 04-03-2012, 11:04 PM

Of course, go right ahead!

I just started yesterday, since my friend left and I can be picky and cranky about food for a while. I figured since I just started my kombucha, I can let it ferment and then I like to bottle it and let it fizz up a little anyway, so by the time I finish out a month, I should have some nice, sour, dry kombucha waiting. Vinegar is OK on the Whole30, so I wonder how bad it would be if I let it turn really sour. Anyway, it's one month. How bad can it be, right? I have the same latte issues (dairy in general; I love it all) and switched to coconut milk for the bridge, and I'm figuring I'll go all black pretty quick. Evenings are SO HARD for me. I get tired and the body wants bread and dairy. So I have to take the body to bed.

Have also decided that, now that I know I only have a couple months left in Jumeira, I need to take advantage of the beach every day. Period. The water seems just this AM to have turned to comfortable (the jellyfish seem to think so too), but I am a runner, not so much a swimmer. So, back to daily beach runs and clean eating, in hope that I can get my energy back for the craziness of travel, moving, switching to school at home, etc.

#128 of 145 Old 04-05-2012, 05:36 AM

Hello all! Just wanted to let you know that peer group Breastfeeding Q&A is running another info seminar for breastfeeding mums/dads and supporters in Dubai on 14th April. Topics include the role of dads in supporting breastfeeding, milk expressing, and introducing solids (we'll also be watching the DVD "Discovering Baby-Led Weaning").  We have some great guest speakers, and Im really looking forward to it.

More info here: http://www.facebook.com/events/195779027202761/ or e-mail sian.breastfeedingqa@gmail.com . Please do pass this onto anyone who may be interested.

Thanks!

#129 of 145 Old 05-27-2012, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hello,

I'm in Al Ain (although we may be moving to Abu Dhabi in the fall/summer) and my 22 mo son is beginning the evaluation process for an autism spectrum disorder. If anyone has any information regarding doctors that specialize in autism or child development disorders or information about any local resources or support outlets in the UAE I'd be so thankful. This is a hard time for us, and I don't even know where to begin seeking answers or help in the UAE.

Thank you.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#130 of 145 Old 05-30-2012, 05:16 AM

I can give you a list of assessment centres for children in Dubai and Sharjah provided by the Community Service Head of Dubai Autism Centre, if this is of any use. Also if you're on Facebook, there's a closed group I can tell you about which might of interest. Drop me a private message if either of these may be of use. You're not alone :).
#131 of 145 Old 06-25-2012, 12:05 PM

Laura N-

I know this post is old but I have been searching everything I can possibly find regarding Dubai and Abu Dhabi. My husband is former military and has been contacted about a very good job in Dubai working in the private sector. We are from Charleston, SC and while I am very excited for this opportunity, I'm also nervous as we've never lived overseas before.

I have three children 6,4, and 2 and will be homeschooling...

Anyone have any advice for the move or anything else one might overlook during such a huge transition, I'd love any input!

#132 of 145 Old 08-02-2012, 01:06 PM

Hello,  I know this is an old thread but was looking for info about groups etc. as I'm currently in Abu Dhabi to help a mother who is planning a homebirth.  Apparently, an oopsie is fine as long as mum & baby report to hospital within 24 hours and I am her 'friend' here visiting.  I have travelled to many places as a midwife to help support homebirth.  I am happy to speak to support anyone and you can see my website at independentmidwives.com  or on facebook as travelling homebirth midwife.  I'm American but live near London.  I've tried to access the natural parenting group in Dubai but the link doesn't seem to work.  K

#133 of 145 Old 08-07-2012, 12:56 PM

Hello Midwifetogo!  What sort of groups are you looking for?  Facebook groups which you might be interested in are UAE Natural Family Living Network, Breastfeeding Q&A Dubai UAE (it is actually UAE-wide), and La Leche League UAE (currently has leaders in Abu Dhabi). 

http://www.facebook.com/groups/244138918988067/

http://www.facebook.com/groups/242418372502807/

http://www.facebook.com/groups/lll.uae/ 

#134 of 145 Old 10-13-2012, 10:38 AM

Hello again, UAE mamas!  Just wanted to give you an update on peer breastfeeding support group Breastfeeding Q&A.  The group has just resumed monthly meet-ups in Dubai, and have a seminar in Dubai and an informal get-together in Fujairah planned for National Breastfeeding Week in November.  If anyone is interested (or knows anyone who might be!), please see http://www.facebook.com/groups/242418372502807/.

#135 of 145 Old 10-15-2012, 06:27 PM

Hi expat mamma....I hope you got the help you needed and your son is doing well.

I just found out that we are moving to Al Ain. Presumed we were moving to Abu Dhabi! I live on a small island so I may be better suited to Al Ain!

My husband will be working at the military airport?

I homeschooled for the past 2 yrs(Montessori before that) and now the boys wanna try school. So will be looking into that!

If you moved, hope it went well!

Thanks for all the advice in your posts.

Husband is putting hotspot on laptops right now! He leaves on Friday and myself and kids in 2 months.

I would love any advice on where to live. I would like to be close to schools and the military airport and I love the compound(gym,pool) idea!!!!  Not sure of our budget but can't imagine spending more than $2,400 on rent!!!

selectivevax.gifbfolderchild.gifdelayedvax.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifnocirc.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gifsurf.gif     t.v. free  

Living happily on a little island in the sun
#136 of 145 Old 11-22-2012, 09:38 AM

Any UAE homeschoolers here?  Are you concerned by the recent reports that formal schooling will become a legal requirement for families to reside in the UAE?  I'm not sure what to think of it.  Of course nothing's certain at this point until or unless it all becomes law; but then will there be a recognised, legal homeschool option (whatever that may look like)?  Any thoughts?

#137 of 145 Old 12-02-2012, 10:33 PM

Hi Heba.

The Abu Dhabi Homeschoolers Association went through lots of drama over this proposed law. But we've concluded a few things:

1-laws get made and never enforced quite frequently around here.

2-The FNC is an advisory body, not a lawmaking one, so it's still a long road to adoption and it could get derailed at many points along the way.

3-Did you see the series of articles about this in The National? It seems at least one FNC member has homeschoolers in mind and intends to stand up for us :)

4-A few of us decided that because the bill mentions tying visa renewals to school attendance, the safest thing to do is register with an online school so that we have transcripts to show if the law ever comes to pass.

Now, a few weeks out, I'm not really worried at all--though I am very happy having registered with Global Village for homeschool support-- and have just adopted a wait and see approach :)

/laura

#138 of 145 Old 12-02-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linmoten View Post

Laura N-

I know this post is old but I have been searching everything I can possibly find regarding Dubai and Abu Dhabi. My husband is former military and has been contacted about a very good job in Dubai working in the private sector. We are from Charleston, SC and while I am very excited for this opportunity, I'm also nervous as we've never lived overseas before.

I have three children 6,4, and 2 and will be homeschooling...

Anyone have any advice for the move or anything else one might overlook during such a huge transition, I'd love any input!

linmoten:

I am so sorry I never saw this! It seems I no longer receive notifications from this thread for some reason.

Are you here now? Is there anything I can do for you now?

If you PM me, I will definitely receive notification by email about it!

Oh, wait, did I meet you in the summer in Raha Mall at the Party Centre store??!!!

#139 of 145 Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 PM

Laura, so sorry for not replying earlier.  I didn't see your reply at first.  Thank you so much - I really appreciate your comments!  I guess we'll just keep going as we are, and see what happens.

#140 of 145 Old 01-03-2013, 11:20 PM

Any Al Ain mamas feel free to get in touch.  I'd be happy to connect with more natural mamas.  There is a Natural Family Living group here in the UAE and there are a few mamas in Al Ain that get together regularly.

#141 of 145 Old 03-29-2013, 09:03 AM

So, LauraN suggested that rather than leave nothing but the bitter taste I had last year for Dubai, I might leave an update.

The move to Abu Dhabi was a huge improvement for our family. We have not just friends, but lovely friends. It's been a great winter for all of us.

Here is an update on my personal blog about the things that we've been doing since we came back last fall. We've done nearly everything differently from how we did things in Dubai: kids are not in school, and we are in an apartment instead of a villa. Those two big choices have had a cascade of positive outcomes all over our lives. Hoping to post soon, too, on dh's evolving attitudes toward educating the kids at home.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I am pleased to report there is a happy family in Abu Dhabi, and I have a couple of the moms here, and a couple others IRL, to thank for helping us feel so loved. blowkiss.gif

#142 of 145 Old 04-09-2013, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jooj View Post

So, LauraN suggested that rather than leave nothing but the bitter taste I had last year for Dubai, I might leave an update.

The move to Abu Dhabi was a huge improvement for our family. We have not just friends, but lovely friends. It's been a great winter for all of us.

Here is an update on my personal blog about the things that we've been doing since we came back last fall. We've done nearly everything differently from how we did things in Dubai: kids are not in school, and we are in an apartment instead of a villa. Those two big choices have had a cascade of positive outcomes all over our lives. Hoping to post soon, too, on dh's evolving attitudes toward educating the kids at home.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I am pleased to report there is a happy family in Abu Dhabi, and I have a couple of the moms here, and a couple others IRL, to thank for helping us feel so loved. blowkiss.gif

Yay, 1jooj!! So glad you made the move :-)

#143 of 145 Old 06-24-2014, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Laura, I will be moving to Abu Dhabi in about two weeks....wow..would like to connect with other like minded moms....My children are older but I still find that a lot of the philosophies that carried us this far still apply. . would love to hear back from you.. Patty
#144 of 145 Old 09-07-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ospreytrish View Post
Laura, I will be moving to Abu Dhabi in about two weeks....wow..would like to connect with other like minded moms....My children are older but I still find that a lot of the philosophies that carried us this far still apply. . would love to hear back from you.. Patty
Patty, I just saw this now! Are you here? Lots of like-minded mamas around here. For starters, join the UAE Natural Family Network on FB. I will pm you my phone number! I hope to meet you soon...

#145 of 145 Old 09-07-2014, 10:28 AM

CALLING ALL HOMESCHOOLERS!

Registration is OPEN for the Abu Dhabi HomeSchoolers Fall Kick Off event.

You have 10 days to sign up for the Fall Kick-off which will be Saturday afternoon, September 20. Do it soon, so you don't forget.

Go to our web site to sign up: www.abudhabihomeschoolers.org. Sign up deadline is midnight on Sept. 16.

Join us for bowling, dinner or both.

This is not a members only event, but open to all families who home educate in the UAE.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page